Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

A big flaming stink posted:

I personally think the most compelling evidence Israel did it was that the guy in charge of Israel's online propaganda took credit for the attack immediately after it happened.
Is he "in charge of Israel's online propaganda" though? As far as I can tell (based of his own Twitter video), he's working there in some undetermined position in a "media taskforce".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 5, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
For that matter, do we have any proof the booster rocket video isn't edited? Apart from the
. . .weirdness with the timestamping?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The site sure doesn't look like it has a major impact crater to me. I don't know what exactly hit there or how it happened, but we can at least probably rule out a JDAM at this point, right? So maybe all the armchair ballistics experts who said it was obviously a JDAM don't know what they're talking about.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Thanks for the roundup. So there was definitely some initial confusion but points 5 and 6 stand?

e: 6 being that the hospital was not hit directly, that seems to be confirmed by photos we've seen of the aftermath. Can't see any other source where Israel claims they did this, they were consistently blaming Hamas after Naftali's initial autopilot moment
Some of the wild bullshit that the IDF threw at the wall was too liquid to be easily cleaned off within a few hours, so in that sense it "stands" I guess? But if you don't consider most of what they said having turned out to be obvious lies to be an argument against believing the rest I'm really not sure what to tell you.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The site sure doesn't look like it has a major impact crater to me. I don't know what exactly hit there or how it happened, but we can at least probably rule out a JDAM at this point, right? So maybe all the armchair ballistics experts who said it was obviously a JDAM don't know what they're talking about.

Bombs do not make the kind of dramatic craters you're imaging.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2018/08/18/19432/

This is the small crater of a reported Mk82 bomb, comparable to many of the 500lb munitions in the Israeli arsenal, including the JDAM which has a 500lb variant. The parking lot photos are an extremely savvy PR move by the IDF because the site of many bombing attacks just won't look as dramatic or shocking as people expect from an event that killed hundreds, but they aren't proof of anything really.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 18, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah this is the big thing that flips it for me. A typical Israeli airstrike would've reduced that hospital to a crater, while what seems to have happened is a strike on the car park that destroyed a few cars in the initial explosion and resulted in several more catching fire. That's actually pretty consistent with the level of damage Palestinian rockets typically cause.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-military-says-no-evidence-direct-hit-gaza-hospital-2023-10-18/
Obviously the denial from the IDF means nothing but you can clearly see the hospital still standing in the image.
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1714535497958334678
See also the images of the aftermath in this thread posted previously (not speaking for the credibility of the analysis otherwise). I haven't seen anything challenging the idea that little or no structural damage was done to any of the surrounding buildings (which seems much more concrete than trying to guess what kind of weapon was used based on the sound it made).

What really confuses me is that the humanitarian organizations in the hospital, especially MSF, were talking about structural damage in a way that contradicts the explosion happening in a parking lot outside the building. While things can get confusing in the heat of the moment, misunderstanding if the ceiling is caving in or not seems hard to do.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In the end Israel is continuing to bomb the country to smithereens. So while this may have been a misfire. The rest of the time they are hitting what they want. gently caress em. The video of a child with a building on top of their head as their lifeless body hangs as people try to get it out to give the child some type of dignity is heart wrenching. gently caress anyone supporting these monsters.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 18, 2023

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

CuddleCryptid posted:

What really confuses me is that the humanitarian organizations in the hospital, especially MSF, were talking about structural damage in a way that contradicts the explosion happening in a parking lot outside the building. While things can get confusing in the heat of the moment, misunderstanding if the ceiling is caving in or not seems hard to do.

I mean, a big explosion right outside could certainly knock a bunch of tiles off the ceiling on to your head in a way that is highly distressing.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

So has this gone from 'Israel destroyed a hospital killing 500+' to 'something blew up the parking lot outside, death toll unknown'?

Or has the death toll been more or less confirmed?

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 18, 2023

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Bombs do not make the kind of dramatic craters you're imaging.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2018/08/18/19432/

This is the small crater of a reported Mk82 bomb, comparable to many of the 500lb munitions in the Israeli arsenal, including the JDAM which has a 500lb variant. The parking lot photos are an extremely savvy PR move by the IDF because the site of many bombing attacks just won't look as dramatic or shocking as people expect from an event that killed hundreds, but they aren't proof of anything really.

Even less if the bomb is set to airburst, which JDAMs can be fitted for.
Which would be what theyd use if they wanted to eliminate forces on the surface, say like a rocket crew.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

pro starcraft loser posted:

So has this gone from 'Israel destroyed a hospital killing 500+' to 'something blew up the parking lot outside, death toll unknown'?

This.

A lot of media ran with what Hamas spokespeople said 20 minutes after an explosion for some reason.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

Some of the wild bullshit that the IDF threw at the wall was too liquid to be easily cleaned off within a few hours, so in that sense it "stands" I guess? But if you don't consider most of what they said having turned out to be obvious lies to be an argument against believing the rest I'm really not sure what to tell you.
Israel definitely has a bunch of propagandists who start reciting from a standard script any time something in Gaza blows up, which reflects very poorly on them. But that doesn't magic away the video evidence of a rocket failure that happened seconds before the hospital strike, or the aftermath pictures which do not remotely match the initial claims of a levelled hospital.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

The Palestinian Health Ministry has just said 471 people were killed in the blast at the hospital in Gaza on Tuesday, with 314 injured.

We'll bring you more from their statement soon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world...post_type=share

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
https://twitter.com/Evolutionistrue/status/1714635195113263336

It doesn't inspire much confidence that people in the MSM will never be held accountable for poo poo like this.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

That’s basically the gist of it, the past five pages or so has just been people arguing based on vibes that support their priors. There’s been no evidence of a specific death count outside of an Al Jazeera report quoting Hamas, which was released moments after the bombing occurred. It would have been impossible to even have an order of magnitude estimate of the count that was accurate at that time.

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

Seph posted:

That’s basically the gist of past five pages or so has just been people arguing based on vibes that support their priors. There’s been no evidence of a specific death count outside of an Al Jazeera report quoting Hamas, which was released moments after the bombing occurred. It would have been impossible to even have an order of magnitude estimate of the count that was accurate at that time.
He says, seconds after a recent estimate putting current casualties at 471 people.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

CuddleCryptid posted:

This thread is quite considered and probably the best one I've read on it and fills in a bunch of holes from the twitter OSINT folks:

https://x.com/FSBRG/status/1714609431877431713?s=20

e: - tl;dr quite likely an Israeli drone strike; these explode above ground but powerfully which is why no crater but explains the large number of dead; the ceiling collapse was clarified by abu sitta (who lost his phone in the strike and wasn't able to update) - it collapsed the false ceiling in the operating theatres rather than the whole structure.

Seph posted:

That’s basically the gist of it, the past five pages or so has just been people arguing based on vibes that support their priors. There’s been no evidence of a specific death count outside of an Al Jazeera report quoting Hamas, which was released moments after the bombing occurred. It would have been impossible to even have an order of magnitude estimate of the count that was accurate at that time.

The health ministry has just confirmed. You can say that it's inflated but I doubt it is. Ghassan Abu Sitta suggests the number of dead exceeds 500. I've got 0 reason to doubt him. He lives in London and has a lucrative practice. He's downed tools for Yemen and Gaza before. He's not some Hamas mouthpiece. He's seen hundreds of bodies and hundreds of wounded there.

https://x.com/FSBRG/status/1714609467206095255?s=20 <-- see his posts here

kolby posted:

Are people getting the hospitals mixed up or something?

I genuinely don't understand how we have footage of the hospital still standing and reports like this are still coming out.

The fact that they are doubling down on the death toll is confusing.

You've got to bear in mind a few things:

- The hospital as a perceived safe space was rammed
- It looks like the blast probably killed anyone outside and some people inside
- The blast caused severe injuries - the hospital is already debilitated by previous bombings; the people suffering from hunger and probably a good number of them have pre-existing wounds
- A large number may have been lying down quite possibly head to foot
- The blast from outside looks to have been large (and if it exploded above ground rather than on the ground, can see how it would have hit *lots* of people)

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 18, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Seph posted:

When you read a story quoting the CDC or the NIH do you think of it as quoting the Democratic Party?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/icjpalestine/status/1714624954455486643?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

A British-Palestinian surgeon at the Al-Ahli hospital is lawyering up in response to both the strike and harassment of his family in the UK by counterterrorism police.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

CSM posted:

The Palestinian Health Ministry has just said 471 people were killed in the blast at the hospital in Gaza on Tuesday, with 314 injured.

We'll bring you more from their statement soon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world...post_type=share

I genuinely don't understand how we have footage of the hospital still standing and reports like this are still coming out.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

kolby posted:

The hospital's still standing, the explosion was in the courtyard where a lot of people had apparently fled to from elsewhere.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Brucolac posted:

He says, seconds after a recent estimate putting current casualties at 471 people.

To be clear, I wasn’t saying the death toll wasn’t 500 (or any other number) - my point was that a fog of war estimate released minutes after the bombing occurred should not be considered reliable, even if it supports your priors. That the initial report was close to the 471 count confirmed by the Healthy Ministry doesn’t change that fact.

Groovelord Neato posted:

When you read a story quoting the CDC or the NIH do you think of it as quoting the Democratic Party?

That Health Ministry number came out as I was replying. I clearly stated in my post that the estimate released minutes after the bombing occurred was not reliable. I have no reason to doubt the 471 deaths number the Health Ministry just released.

Seph fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 18, 2023

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Some updated daytime images/video. I don't see any nms stuff so I won't tag.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1714571559954731398

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1714587746612740278

Whatever hit the courtyard burned a lot. Could the cars have had that much fuel in them to burn like that? I wouldn't think so, especially with fuel shortages.

kolby posted:

The courtyard was packed with healthcare workers and people sheltering in the open, believing the hospital would be spared from bombing.

ummel fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 18, 2023

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Seph posted:

To be clear, I wasn’t saying the death toll wasn’t 500 (or any other number) - my point was that a fog of war estimate released minutes after the bombing occurred should not be considered reliable, even if it supports your priors. That the initial report was close to the 471 count confirmed by the Healthy Ministry doesn’t change that fact.

You said it might be off by an order to magnitude. As in we shouldn’t be surprised if the real number were 5 or 5000. Actually I think more than 5 bodies were visible in the press conference. Are you accusing the hospital of using crisis actors to pose as corpses?

e: I’m an idiot. 50 or 5000. So I guess no crisis actors (though those bodies alone would still represent a substantial portion of 50)

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 18, 2023

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot
My main source of skepticism towards the IDF is that as far as I know most if not all of their munitions are guided, seems like they'd have some record of what they're bombing and when. If they wanted to exculpate themselves it seems like it'd be pretty easy to say "These are the targets we bombed during this time period" and allow the US to verify their claims. I can't wrap my head around the fact that the most convincing evidence they can offer the US is a recording of a conversation that proves absolutely nothing.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 5, 2023

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

an MSF doctor who was there said this:
https://twitter.com/FSBRG/status/1714638724015804486

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

https://x.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1714638868681494658?s=20

So we have confirmed Israeli bombings in the area, coupled with multiple Palestinian rocket launches in the area, and footage of a failed rocket...

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

eSports Chaebol posted:

You said it might be off by an order to magnitude. As in we shouldn’t be surprised if the real number were 5 or 5000. Actually I think more than 5 bodies were visible in the press conference. Are you accusing the hospital of using crisis actors to pose as corpses?

What? This is an absurd reach. Are you seriously suggesting that saying “this initial casualty count is unreliable” is equivalent to “the hospital is using crisis actors”? Jesus Christ get a grip.

It is undeniable that initial estimates of mass casualty events can be off by orders of magnitude. I remember people saying on 9/11 that it could be up to 20,000 dead. That does not mean every estimate ends up being wrong (as is the case here) - it just means you should take initial estimates with a huge grain of salt.

Seph fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 18, 2023

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
The crater is too small for the one(1) size munition the IDF has.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
According to Al-Arabiya TV, the Evangelical Church of Jerusalem (the owners of the hospital) say they received three phoned warnings from the IDF before the hospital was bombed.

https://x.com/alarabytv_brk/status/1714602791434371262?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Caros
May 14, 2008

Seph posted:

What? This is an absurd reach. Are you seriously suggesting that saying “this initial casualty count is unreliable” is equivalent to “the hospital is using crisis actors”? Jesus Christ get a grip.

It is undeniable that initial estimates of mass casualty events can be off by orders of magnitude. I remember people saying on 9/11 that it could be up to 20,000 dead. That does not mean every estimate ends up being wrong (as is the case here) - it just means you should take initial estimates with a huge grain of salt.

Hospital workers are famously pretty good at telling whether someone is dead or not.

While I can imagine the death toll being revised down into the lower hundreds because tying to guess how many corpses are in that pile is a lot like guessing how many jelly beans are in the jar, the allegation floating around is that this was actually a qassam piss rocket that barely did any damage so really only a few people died.

But they had a goddamn press conference in among the dead, so either those piles of bodies were real (and it wasn't a dinky lil rocket) or what... They laid down and covered themselves in cranberry sauce?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In theory, even a relatively small blast outside the hospital could cause many fatalities if it shattered windows and sent flying glass through packed crowds.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think this is an important event that should be as 0) on the timeline.
https://twitter.com/FSBRG/status/1714609456279855380

E: Just so it's clear, it's also circumstantial evidence, but it should be kept in mind.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MadSparkle posted:

Not really a fan of Piers Morgan at all. My cousin in Egypt sent me this and it was so bizarre to watch . I love Bassem Youssef and wasn’t expecting him on here . He really loves Ben Shapiro , apparently 😂
It’s a bit of a long segment .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4idQbwsvtUo

A bit late to reply but holy poo poo what an interview. The pain in that mans eyes. :smith:

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

The Guardian posted:

Our senior international affairs correspondent Emma Graham-Harrison reports:

The main force of the explosion at al-Ahli Arab hospital hit a courtyard and car park at the centre of the medical complex, packed with families taking refuge from airstrikes in surrounding neighbourhoods, the Anglican bishop responsible for the compound said.

Hosam Naoum, Anglican bishop of Jerusalem, told journalists that in the days before the Gaza hospital was hit by a devastating explosion, Israeli forces had issued three evacuation warnings to its directors, and struck it twice with missiles.

Israel has denied hitting the hospital on Tuesday, saying that the blast was caused by the warhead and propellant of a misfired Islamic Jihad rocket.

Naoum declined to attribute responsibility for the blast, saying that priests were not military investigators, but he condemned the war and called for a ceasefire.

It was crowds fleeing Israeli airstrikes elsewhere in Gaza city who bore the brunt of the blast, he said. “Two of our employees were injured, but the rest there were operations taking place when the blast [hit].”

“At that point in time [of the blast], we know there were thousands of people there,” he said. “They received a warning, there were some bombing and air strikes around the hospital and they fled in [to the hospital compound].”

On Saturday, Sunday and Monday the Israeli authorities contacted hospital staff, mostly by phone, telling them to leave.

“They have the phone numbers of all the directors of the hospitals. So they can either send message or whatever means they have to notify them,” he said.

“We received the two missiles that hit the hospital. We could see and tell that they are from an Israeli strike at the hospital. And then we received the warnings,” he said.

Staff told refugees who crowded into its courtyard about those warnings, but they apparently judged the hospital safer than other options in a city under attack. In the afternoon before hundreds were killed and maimed, they had been singing peace songs to keep up their spirits, Naoum said.

Hospital administrators had warned them about the evacuation notices. “We had a moral obligation,” Naoum said. “We told them it is important you know what is taking place, but they have nowhere to go.”

A crowd of around 5,000 people almost all left after the first warning. But many returned when airstrikes pummelled the neighbourhood, hoping the hospital compound might be a relative haven amid Israel’s blanket evacuation order, that effectively turned all of Gaza city into a potential target.

This paints a pretty grim picture of how this played out regardless of the actual source of the ordinance.

But 3x warnings to flee and two previous missile strikes also paint a picture.

mannerup posted:

there is no proof of this statement outside of that tweet from The Spectator Index which cites Al Jazeera (where I have been unable to find the original claim from them)
Is a quote from someone in direct communication with the hospital director a good enough source?

Brucolac fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 18, 2023

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

He mentions seeing someone with a neck perforation in the ER. Shrapnel could have been flying through a packed ER full of already sick and injured patients. I could easily buy the casualty numbers even if the whole building didn't collapse and the outside "doesn't look that bad".

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Biden recently cited information from the Pentagon for his belief that Israel was not responsible.

Obviously the Pentagon could be wrong or Biden could be lying, but that's much more certain than US sources were being ~12 hours ago.

Edit: quote from Washington Post live thread at https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/10/18/israel-hamas-war-news-gaza-update/:

quote:

Biden, who embraced Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu upon landing Wednesday, said material suggested the strike was “done by the other team, not you.” Later, Biden said he felt confident due to “the data I was shown by my Defense Department,” but he did not share more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Brucolac posted:

This paints a pretty grim picture of how this played out regardless of the actual source of the ordinance.

But 3x warnings to flee and two previous missile strikes also paint a picture.

I hadn't really thought about it but if they were sending out warnings to evacuate then people were probably running to a place that they thought would be safe since it is a protected target, ie the hospital. Without anything close to underground shelter to hide in, I would have probably done the same thing in that circumstance, because surely they wouldn't stoop so low to bomb a hospital, right?