Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The nice thing about RoH is that because Tony put it behind a subscription it's super easy for me to just ignore lol

Plus anyone I care about on the show is constantly on AEW tv anyway (except Athena)

e: though you seem to have taken my point as "there's too much" when it was actually that Shinjobi seemed to indicate the reason they don't want to spend the extra money specifically because it's wrestling, which I find to be a silly hangup.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you can’t ignore ROH because Tony decided it was time to feature all their belts on AEW tv again, at the cost of plummeting attendance and an ice-cold product.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

If you want to make claims like that in this thread I think you should have to back them up personally.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

STONE COLD 64 posted:

thats basically where im at when it comes to trying to follow AEW. i would like to watch all of the shows but between football, hockey starting back up, survivor, going out to the movies on fridays, there just isn't a whole lot of free time or money for me to dedicate to wrestling outside of most wednesdays (since dynamite is established as the important show where the big stuff happens) and the PPVs. this year has been tougher since we are on track to hit 10 straight months of PPVs between AEW and ROH so i have started to have to pick and choose just from a budget standpoint. Creating more product makes sense when you're a growing company but it at least for me makes it tougher to stay invested since im having to miss out on a lot of the stuff they offer compared to how things were run before.

I've got the time, but I don't have the money. Good for them if they can successfully do monthly PPVs but I can't afford that, and if I can't see the PPVs I'm less inclined to watch every episode since I'm seldom going to see the payoff for angles. So I'll tune in to watch great wrestling in a bubble when I feel like it, but I'm not invested the way I used to be. Rampage has become a skip and Collision is just fast-forwarding to get to the one or two top matches.

The time and money investment they're demanding is pretty high at this point and doesn't feel worth it for different reasons.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You could pirate the PPVs if you wanted.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I do find it funny how Tony said on the scrum "I'm not saying we're doing monthly PPVs! Nobody's saying that!" when the usual annual 4 AEW PPVs + special PPVs like All In, Forbidden Door, and WrestleDream + 3 annual ROH PPVs brings it up to 10 already.

It's like the wrestling equivalent of holding your finger near someone and saying "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Increasing prices or increasing the amount of content has historically never, ever, ever, not a single time in the history of history, decreased business and has almost always done the exact opposite. An increase in the number of PPVs or ticket prices is not the reason AEW is doing 2,000 people a show, particularly when the get-in price for these shows is like 20 bucks.

Business is down because the product is cold. Talking about parking or whatever is just a long way of saying "people don't care enough about this to spend money on it".

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

Increasing prices or increasing the amount of content has historically never, ever, ever, not a single time in the history of history, decreased business and has almost always done the exact opposite. An increase in the number of PPVs or ticket prices is not the reason AEW is doing 2,000 people a show, particularly when the get-in price for these shows is like 20 bucks.

Business is down because the product is cold. Talking about parking or whatever is just a long way of saying "people don't care enough about this to spend money on it".

However, "it's cold right now" (MJF sucks as champ, at least booked like this, sorry) is a world of difference from "they're about to go the way of 2001 WCW" which is a refrain I see a lot in general.

Look, I personally like the WWE product. I also love the AEW product. I've bought literally every AEW show and watched Dynamite live every week and Collision live every week for months. But people insisting that the current AEW product is as good as it could be are no less disingenuous than the loons who insist it's on its deathbed or something.

Businesschat just brings out the madness in people one way or the other.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shinjobi posted:

If I've spent $150 in two months on a wrestling product and then they come to my town for a live show, the idea of spending another $100+ on tickets, parking, merch, and whatever food/drink would cause me pause.

fite users stay winning

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

However, "it's cold right now" (MJF sucks as champ, at least booked like this, sorry) is a world of difference from "they're about to go the way of 2001 WCW" which is a refrain I see a lot in general.

Look, I personally like the WWE product. I also love the AEW product. I've bought literally every AEW show and watched Dynamite live every week and Collision live every week for months. But people insisting that the current AEW product is as good as it could be are no less disingenuous than the loons who insist it's on its deathbed or something.

Businesschat just brings out the madness in people one way or the other.

Definitely agree that AEW isn't as good as it should be right now. Well the PPVs are but not the TV.

I do think for business to pick up it would really help to have consistently great TV for a bit. I know it's frustrating for some when WWE just needs to be the dirt worst to boost business while AEW needs to be close to perfect but thems the breaks.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://www.twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1711429739057975657?s=20

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

updated since then

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Id go if it wasn't in Missouri or whatever state MO is

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
1) yes AEW needs more hot programs

2) I don't understand why they are running 20k hockey/basketball arenas in markets with smaller arenas they would look better in. I think some of it is the bad faith criticism of "college arenas are bad" got to tony, some is "thats what you have to do" from the new hires, and some is just weird decisions.

3) I still don't understand why so many people hate rampage. Its a B/C show with occasional top matches. But complaining about it is so constant and over the top

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

2) I don't understand why they are running 20k hockey/basketball arenas in markets with smaller arenas they would look better in. I think some of it is the bad faith criticism of "college arenas are bad" got to tony, some is "thats what you have to do" from the new hires, and some is just weird decisions.

Because back when they booked these arenas they were selling a lot more tickets on average than they are now so it wasn't really an issue.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

3) I still don't understand why so many people hate rampage. Its a B/C show with occasional top matches. But complaining about it is so constant and over the top

Rampage was sold as a B-show and the standard for a B-Show for decades prior had been Smackdown (or in the Fox era, Raw), and that's a level it hasn't come close to meeting consistently in a long time.

If Rampage had been sold to fans as 'yeah it's slightly above Velocity' then I think it current Rampage would be better received, but as it is it's a show that was treated like a big deal for a short time before entering (and continuing to today) a steady decline in basically every regard, so it has negative momentum.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

1) yes AEW needs more hot programs

arenas are usually booked a year or more out and they were a lot hotter a year ago

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Title Tuesday is booked like a mini-PPV with matches announced well in advance but still selling below 3000 tickets.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I think the big issue is that a lot more people then we in the super online wrestling bubble believed just wanted WWE but not actively a trash fire. Now that WWE is back to being "Fine I guess" they're going back to the comfortable brand they know already.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 10, 2023

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

LionYeti posted:

I think the big issue is that a lot more people then we in the super online wrestling bubble believed just wanted WWE but not actively a trash fire. Now that WWE is back to being "Fine I guess" they're going back to the comfortable brand they know already.

WWE fans are the tourists who go to Italy and eat at McDonalds.

AEW fans (who are more educated and wealthier) will eat at a nice local restaurant they found on Tripadvisor called Il Ristorante Italiano.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/wrestlenomics/status/1711750104653144315?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Look, sometimes you just want a pile of nugs and a snack cheese

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

AEW fans (who are more educated and wealthier) will eat at a nice local restaurant they found on Tripadvisor called Il Ristorante Italiano.

God I loving love this post so much.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

https://twitter.com/wrestlenomics/status/1711472050580173052

Rampage is back to being the B show, baby!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
NXT did 921k, Dynamite did 608k.

Frankly surprised how well both shows combined did TBH.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/brandonthurston/status/1712236937245790612

I'm more surprised that NXT didn't get over a million with all the big names they added.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm more surprised that NXT didn't get over a million with all the big names they added.

Simply speaking, because of Dynamite

Like, I have literally the exact opposite read of the situation on it as that guy

Of course it had one of its biggest audiences ever, you loving idiot, they advertised Cena, Cody, Heyman, and The Motherfucking Undertaker

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Of course it had one of its biggest audiences ever, you loving idiot, they advertised Cena, Cody, Heyman, and The Motherfucking Undertaker

They had Cody open the show and made him special general manager for the night to setup matches.
LA Knight was a special guest ref
Dom (w/Rhea) was in multiple segments and had a singles match
Jade showed up for like 30 seconds
Cody had some backstage segments; Cena did too
Asuka had a match
Shotzi showed up
Heyman was around
Cena cut a long promo, got attacked by Bronn and attempted the AA
Cena and Heyman were ringside for the main event
Solo and Cena had a brief altercation
Undertaker rode out to end the show chokeslamming Bronn

They did so much to get a rating on their regularly schedule show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mentioned in the weekly thread but I'd love to see the DVR numbers for this episode of Dynamite.

Anyway not shocked at the numbers and think Dynamite did okay though I do think they still need to improve things. Which they did with this episode as the ending builds for collision! The thing with the NXT number is the loaded the show up with a lot talent that won't be back next week so while they got a huge number this week how many are gonna stick around. And how many will burn out quickly on this NXT even if the keep doing big star cameos?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sir Tonk posted:

they will when nxt becomes the bloodline's weekly show

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Pylons posted:

I don't think that's really the case.

PPV buys remain strong, but I can’t help but wonder if some of the lagging tv ratings are essentially people who feel oversaturated? I consider myself a diehard AEW fan. I’ve gone to every show in my home market, I watch every chance I get and legitimately enjoy the product, but Wrestledream was the first ppv I skipped, and it wasn’t because I was uninterested. I just couldn’t give up another night to wrestling. Assuming the people who buy ppvs but have been shedding on weekly viewership numbers have reached their limit, how many ppvs can you expect them to buy before those numbers begin to dip too?

I watch maybe one out of every three Collisions, and even some of my Dynamite viewing has become “catch the highlights on replay” instead of appointment Wednesday viewing. As long as they’re putting out content that people will watch and/or pay for the should definitely keep doing so, particularly if there are business incentives like streaming deals on the horizon. The key difference for someone like me (and I have zero sense of how representative I am of the general fan base) is that when it was 1 tv show a week and four ppvs a year, it was drat near appointment viewing that I’d go out of my way to fit into my schedule. Too much content is a better problem than too little, but there’s definitely a balancing act with monetization and time engagement that I think they’ve been a little too aggressive with.

Everything I just posted immediately gets resolved in my mind with a steaming deal. AEW is a better product than WWE for me, but it’s not $50 a month and paying for TBS/TNT better. Monthly ppvs suddenly become a way different value proposition when the cost is a fraction of the current cost. I’d rather pay $200 a year for four AEW ppvs than $144 for twelve WWE ones, but when my ability to fully appreciate those four AEW ppvs becomes tangled up in another $400 dollars a year worth of product, I don’t really know how that impacts things.

I guess my overall position here is things being “special” has actual marketing value (see Star Wars, Marvel, etc.) and trying to make everything special has a negative brand effect overall.

motherbox fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 12, 2023

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

motherbox posted:

PPV buys remain strong, but I can’t help but wonder if some of the lagging tv ratings are essentially people who feel oversaturated? I consider myself a diehard AEW fan. I’ve gone to every show in my home market, I watch every chance I get and legitimately enjoy the product, but Wrestledream was the first ppv I skipped, and it wasn’t because I was uninterested. I just couldn’t give up another night to wrestling. Assuming the people who buy ppvs but have been shedding on weekly viewership numbers have reached their limit, how many ppvs can you expect them to buy before those numbers begin to dip too?

I watch maybe one out of every three Collisions, and even some of my Dynamite viewing has become “catch the highlights on replay” instead of appointment Wednesday viewing. As long as they’re putting out content that people will watch and/or pay for the should definitely keep doing so, particularly if there are business incentives like streaming deals on the horizon. The key difference for someone like me (and I have zero sense of how representative I am of the general fan base) is that when it was 1 tv show a week and four ppvs a year, it was drat near appointment viewing that I’d go out of my way to fit into my schedule. Too much content is a better problem than too little, but there’s definitely a balancing act with monetization and time engagement that I think they’ve been a little too aggressive with.

Everything I just posted immediately gets resolved in my mind with a steaming deal. AEW is a better product than WWE for me, but it’s not $50 a month and paying for TBS/TNT better. Monthly ppvs suddenly become a way different value proposition when the cost is a fraction of the current cost. I’d rather pay $200 a year for four AEW ppvs than $144 for twelve WWE ones, but when my ability to fully appreciate those four AEW ppvs becomes tangled up in another $400 dollars a year worth of product, I don’t really know how that impacts things.

I guess my overall position here is things being “special” has actual marketing value (see Star Wars, Marvel, etc.) and trying to make everything special has a negative brand effect overall.

I think you would need to look at an overall trend since All In to really be able to safely make this claim.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I was saying when they announced Collision and started running 2 hours of ROH weekly: I used to catch everything they did every week. But the more hours they add, the more I skim through and/or don't catch live. I just don't have the time. Especially since I watch multiple other promotions, which AEW actively encourages.

I still can say I follow it closely, but not in any measure that moves statistics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hm maybe if NXT had these up and coming young wrestlers like John Cena and the Undertaker every week they'd get even better ratings

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1711934884061516263

https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1712142809405219156

https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1712082894846402677

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Hm maybe if NXT had these up and coming young wrestlers like John Cena and the Undertaker every week they'd get even better ratings
maybe AEW should try main eventing with established stars instead of young whippersnappers like adam copeland (49) and luchasaurus (somewhere between 38 and 38,000,000)

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Collision headlined by Bryan Danielson and Christian Cage did 504k, 0.14

Crazy to me how many people the WWE PPVs pull away from AEW.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1714630073309942161

I did not have "AEW's savior at the gate is Mistico" on my 2023 bingo card.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MJeff posted:

I don’t keep track of this stuff at all but that number seems like one of the more successful non-PPV shows as of late?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

MJeff posted:

Well specifically that in Houston.