Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

foutre posted:

Cool, I'll take a look for similar ones! Velcroing is a good call.

How'd you attach it to the bike - was that just one loop over the handlebars, one over like the seat post?
I looped the strap through itself around the seat post and then pulled another loop over one side of the handlebars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Awkward Davies posted:

I just don't wear a watch, I'm unlikely to wear it outside of cycling so I feel like I might as well get a strap.

If not Wahoo, is Garmin the recommended? I can't justify spending a huge amount of money so I was looking at the Wahoo, but I could probably spend a little more and go with the Garmin 840 bundle.
Garmin is the go to. 530 or above is fine. x40 gets you USB-C and some extra tracking stuff iirc. 8x0 gets you bigger screen and touch and 10x0 gets you bigger bigger screen and no buttons. 840 is the sweet spot (what I bought), but any of them will do fine for your purposes afaik.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
so one note on this since I've been looking into bike computers -

the Garmin Edge 540 is $350 with no mount. i think everyone's assuming the 540 is still 530-priced (originally $300 and usually $270 before it was discontinued), but it's had a pretty steep price increase

the Wahoo Bolt v2 is $280 and has a built-in mount. i feel like that is a pretty huge savings for two devices that seem pretty similar, but maybe I'm missing some glaring feature differences (other than the Edge having a full-color screen, I guess). if Wahoo is really in danger of collapsing overnight and leaving you with the functional equivalent of a pebble smartwatch circa 2018, then the savings probably aren't worth it, but otherwise it seems like people really do like the Bolt more than Garmin's stuff in reviews I've been looking at :shrug:

also if you're looking at a higher price price point, the Hammerhead Karoo 2 is an option at $400 that seems to have the featureset of the $450 Garmin Edge 840, but I don't know much about it

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Both the 540 and 840 come with mounts in the box.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

brand engager posted:

Both the 540 and 840 come with mounts in the box.

oh you're right, feel like they could have had slightly clearer labeling for their options besides "Device Only" and "Bundle" (i know the bundle comes with the monitors and stuff, just confusing labeling)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah definitely wait till there's a sale going on for the garmin

530 comes with mount too and is 255ish on BTD rn, not even a big sale going on

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bicycle computers are not content with graphing calculator pricing and are angling for medical device territory.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Given that we are on page 530 of this thread, I'm going to advocate for a used eBay 530. I bought mine for $175, and that was before the 540 came out, so I'm sure they're cheaper now. Works great!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I've got a wahoo bolt v1 that is still going strong, which can be found for like $70 on ebay rn (probably cheaper?).
Unless you know you need the newer fancier features, I'd just get one of those.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I’m still using the v1 elemnt bolt and it’s needs suiting

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Whilst I've now got a roam v2 my OG Elemnt is still very functional and still getting updates. The battery is only good for 5 or 6 hours but I'm amazed how bomb proof it's been.

I got it in 2016ish I think?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
God I think I’m just bad at accurately targeting effort. I went out for a ride today and tried to keep in mind what people said about not being able to hold a conversation. I thought I was doing a decent job but when I got back Strava says I spent more time in Z7 than any of my rides at least this year (16.8% of this ride - Z1 was 41.7%, Z2 only 8.8%). Who loving knows.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Awkward Davies posted:

God I think I’m just bad at accurately targeting effort. I went out for a ride today and tried to keep in mind what people said about not being able to hold a conversation. I thought I was doing a decent job but when I got back Strava says I spent more time in Z7 than any of my rides at least this year (16.8% of this ride - Z1 was 41.7%, Z2 only 8.8%). Who loving knows.

If you don't have a heart rate monitor or power meter there is zero way Strava can know how hard you were working.
Even if you have both of those, if you haven't calibrated the zones to your personal thresholds, the data will be junk.
Essentially: don't trust Strava too much, or any tool that you don't understand what it's doing.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bicievino posted:

If you don't have a heart rate monitor or power meter there is zero way Strava can know how hard you were working.
Even if you have both of those, if you haven't calibrated the zones to your personal thresholds, the data will be junk.
Essentially: don't trust Strava too much, or any tool that you don't understand what it's doing.

Yeah, guess I do need one.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Awkward Davies posted:

Strava doesn't have z7 for hr zones. It has z7 for power zones. Unless you're riding with a power meter then you should just outright ignore Strava's power estimates. And doubly so when I can only assume you haven't set your ftp in your Strava settings.

Whoops. Beaten wildly to this point.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ahaha wow. That’s embarrassing. Okay.

Well, I guess I really smashed it power wise and I need a HR monitor.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Stravas estimated zones and power are smoking rocks. Bouncing between riding outside (estimated) and on a trainer (has power data) the estimated us just making poo poo up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does Strava even attempt to factor in wind or is it just elevation change plus drag assumptions proportional to the square of your speed along the ground, with a multiplier for drive losses?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Platystemon posted:

Does Strava even attempt to factor in wind or is it just elevation change plus drag assumptions proportional to the square of your speed along the ground, with a multiplier for drive losses?
I can't speak much to any formulas, but I do know they at least take in to account differences between bikes if you have multiple set up in your gear section. I haven't bothered to experiment on whether it's just bike style that matters or if what you put in for a weight matters.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
FedEx finally came through and left a nice package on my front steps, right below the PLEASE PLACE PACKAGES ON THE PORCH sign.

Hopefully, I'll get some chances to test out this latest purchase before I go camping, especially since I'm not camping in the most fun area for cycling.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

w4ddl3d33 posted:

finally something i can talk about (i work for a spin bike manufacturer)

this is not entirely accurate imho. bikes have gears to allow the rider the maintain speed over a range of terrains, and obviously this isn't necessary on a spin bike, but you can "recreate" (i use this word very loosely) the experience by altering your spin bike's resistance

if your regular bike has flat pedal it's still gonna have flat pedals when you put it into your indoor trainer. i've used a variety of pedals with spin bikes and yeah, i'll concede that spds are the best for indoor work

You seem to think I am pointing out the single gear-ratio nature of a spinbike for some reason... I am not. A fixed-gear spinbike with controllable resistance is still a fixed-gear spinbike and therefore it behaves like a fixed-gear bicycle. Almost all fixed-geared riders use clipless pedals, toe-straps or toe-clips for a reason.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: This will be a horrible derail.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

no but the spinning weight gets some solid momentum

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I teach our intro to track cycling class, and if folks don't bring their own clipless pedals/shoes, we put them on platform pedals with no cages or straps, because it's easier to learn on and works fine.

We wouldn't let them race with that setup, but with some reasonably grippy pedals it's fine to learn on.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Many spin studios like SoulCycle require foot retention, period. If you come in with sneakers, cages will be provided. Some of the drills/calls are just way easier when the feet are secured.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 18, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Related, I was informed by family members that use Peloton that some of the work is like 90rpm STANDING for minutes at a time. WTF is that about?!? Seems like a great way to injure yourself...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

amenenema posted:

Related, I was informed by family members that use Peloton that some of the work is like 90rpm STANDING for minutes at a time. WTF is that about?!? Seems like a great way to injure yourself...

Peloton is for crossfit people

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I do limited spin exercises when I'm at the gym. I'm not using the fancy spin machines with some good-looking fitness instructor shouting at me on a TV screen; I'm using the stationary bikes in the regular part of the gym.

It's good to remember that cycling and spinning are only superficially similar workouts. When I'm doing the hill program on a stationary, I'm struggling to keep the same high cadence on the increasingly difficult "climbs" as I do between the climbs. On a bike, I'd lower the gear and sacrifice speed. For me, spinning (the hill program specifically) is a lot more like weight training than it is cycling. Each "hill" is a set of reps.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The irony - "functional fitness" folks doing a standing spin exercise that would never be used while actually riding a bike. Lovely.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

amenenema posted:

The saddles bad and the end user doesn't know how to adjust them, so this is probably to get some circulation restarted. My friend was telling me about not wanting to get a real bike because he goes numb after 45 minutes on his peloton, so that must just be what bikes do normally right??

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I've had to use lovely exercise bikes while traveling and they all have the fattest, most giant saddles you've ever seen and one of them numbed up my entire genital area after 10 minutes. Like punch my own balls without flinching kind of numbness

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Kickr bike shift we got isn't fixed and you can coast, guess that's not normal on spin bikes

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, lots of exercise bikes have "coasting" but the spin style bikes are fixed gear

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You just reminded me that some years ago in the crossfit games they had a cyclocross race. The guy that won gave credit to his commanding life experience of, "I liked to ride my bike a bunch when I was 12."

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

amenenema posted:

This poo poo ain’t easy and looks fun af: https://youtu.be/0EFJvKTaOnM

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 18, 2023

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
most spin bikes can have their saddles changed but i think the average person who buys a spin bike over a real bike has no desire to customise it like that, and so oftentimes the saddles aren't optimal and can be super uncomfortable. sometimes members come in for classes wearing full padded suits and while i appreciate that they're very stylish no amount of padding will save you from a seat that's a mile wide

TobinHatesYou posted:

Many spin studios like SoulCycle require foot retention, period. If you come in with sneakers, cages will be provided. Some of the drills/calls are just way easier when the feet are secured.

yeah our studios provide look delta shoes

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

TobinHatesYou posted:

This poo poo ain’t easy and looks fun af: https://youtu.be/0EFJvKTaOnM

that's not uci legal, surely

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone had good luck w like a little Bluetooth radio /intercom/wallow talkie thing so you can easily talk to other people while on rides? We can rarely ride next to each other so it’s super hard to talk.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I got to demo some Sena helmets with mesh intercom and they worked pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i had not considered that a handlebar bag would mount in a way that pressed against all the cables coming out of my bar tape. i really don't want to redo the tape or the cables but it's probably not good if pressing the brake causes my bag to visibly move, is it :negative:

apparently some bags (swift, restrap) come with foam spacers for this problem but, alas, the roadrunner burrito bags do not. i could probably rig something up, i guess? bah

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 19, 2023