Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I noticed since upgrading my P7P to Android 14 those automated texts with a one time use code arrive quicker than before, used to I often had to wait over 30 seconds to a minute, now they always arrive within 10 seconds. Has anyone else noticed something similar? I feel like it must be a phone side change, since it started happening right after the 14 update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Incessant Excess posted:

I noticed since upgrading my P7P to Android 14 those automated texts with a one time use code arrive quicker than before, used to I often had to wait over 30 seconds to a minute, now they always arrive within 10 seconds. Has anyone else noticed something similar? I feel like it must be a phone side change, since it started happening right after the 14 update.

I haven't noticed a difference, but there is an option in the Messages app to delete them after 24 hours now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think the folding lcd phones are not worth it. That crease is like having a strip of dead pixels on the screen

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Posted this in the app thread first but it might make more sense here:

I have a problem on the Pixel 8 Pro with WhatsApp. When running the phone on the highest resolution the interface changes to what I assume is the tablet mode of the app. The list of chats is permanently fixed on the left side with the chat's content being shown on the right. With the phone being narrow this is basically unusable this way. No other chat app I'm using (Messenger, Signal, Messages) is having this problem. Changing the text or display size isn't helping.

Is this just a matter of an app not being optimized for the phone's specific resolution yet? It's running just fine on the "lower" resolution but I'd prefer to use the high resolution as it's making the text just a tad more readable to my eyes.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

AlexF posted:

Posted this in the app thread first but it might make more sense here:

I have a problem on the Pixel 8 Pro with WhatsApp. When running the phone on the highest resolution the interface changes to what I assume is the tablet mode of the app. The list of chats is permanently fixed on the left side with the chat's content being shown on the right. With the phone being narrow this is basically unusable this way. No other chat app I'm using (Messenger, Signal, Messages) is having this problem. Changing the text or display size isn't helping.

Is this just a matter of an app not being optimized for the phone's specific resolution yet? It's running just fine on the "lower" resolution but I'd prefer to use the high resolution as it's making the text just a tad more readable to my eyes.

It runs fine for me on the same phone at full resolution. Maybe try clearing the app cache and reinstalling the app, if you haven't already?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Thanks, clearing the app cache and reinstalling actually did the trick. I was aware that doing this can solve issues but not resolution related ones. Do you (or anyone) know how this happens? It'd just be interesting to know.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think the folding lcd phones are not worth it. That crease is like having a strip of dead pixels on the screen

TBF, they're not LCD and the newer generation are getting much better at keeping the fold line flatter when opened. The Flip5 does a really good job of it and even a Costco demo unit that's probably seen as many folds as one would during its entire lifetime had just a bit of a wave at the fold line.

That being said, I decided to wait one more generation at least for myself. I was considering a Fold 5, but decided on P8 Pro this time around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You do not notice the crease at all when looking at a folding phone straight on.

They aren't for everyone, but it's nice to actually see some innovation of use cases after coming from years of boring slabs. My Pixel Fold was really nice on a work trip last week traveling light. I didn't bring either my Kindle or tablet to keep myself busy on the plane. While thick, it was smaller in the pocket and perfect for quick checks between meetings.

I mean, obviously there was nothing that it did that I couldn't also do on a slab, but it was just nicer and more comfortable.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

You do not notice the crease at all when looking at a folding phone straight on.
maybe you have tricked your brain into not seeing it, but every folding phone i've gazed upon up to and including the flip 5 is an abominable eye-catching wrinkle in plastic with a smartphone behind it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

butt dickus posted:

maybe you have tricked your brain into not seeing it, but every folding phone i've gazed upon up to and including the flip 5 is an abominable eye-catching wrinkle in plastic with a smartphone behind it

This, I saw one the other day, a demo unit, saw the crease and immediately wrote it off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's no different than tuning out a hole punch, a notch, or edges of a screen protector.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's no different than tuning out a hole punch, a notch, or edges of a screen protector.
the hole punch still bugs me but it's not a line that goes through the middle of the screen. screen protectors bug me, too, which is why i choose not to drop my phone instead of using one and feeling that awful ridge

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

butt dickus posted:

the hole punch still bugs me but it's not a line that goes through the middle of the screen. screen protectors bug me, too, which is why i choose not to drop my phone instead of using one and feeling that awful ridge

Good screen protectors go virtually to the edge of the screen and, especially the glass ones, are indistinguishable from the feel of the native screen underneath.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will say that so far bluetooth seems much improved over the Pixel 7 Pro and Pixel Fold. There was just a few random things that were problems on the older devices. For some reason, if the Pixel watch was connected to either 7 pro or Pixel Fold, certain bluetooth things wouldn't work quite right. For example, the Sony Headphones connect app couldn't actually connect to a set of headphones or update their firmware until you turned off/disconnected the watch. So far, no such issues with the P8P.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Ahhh, thanks. Didn't have to do that with 13.

Never mind, looks like I can only check apps' battery usage for one hour at a time. Can't see the usage since charged. Maybe I need to factory reset, but that's going to have to wait until the weekend when I'm home.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

hooah posted:

Never mind, looks like I can only check apps' battery usage for one hour at a time. Can't see the usage since charged. Maybe I need to factory reset, but that's going to have to wait until the weekend when I'm home.
I've had to sit on the screen you've posted for a while and it loaded after 10-30 seconds at points. Have you clicked "Battery Usage" and then just...wait?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like OnePlus is going all out.

https://9to5google.com/2023/10/17/oneplus-open-design-specs-leak/

quote:

The cameras are said to include a 48MP primary camera using a Sony LYTIA-T808 sensor and then 48MP and 64MP cameras for the ultrawide and 3x telephoto lenses. That main Sony sensor is said to be comparable to the 1-inch Sony IMX989 sensor that’s made its way onto many high-end Android phones in China. Apparently, this will be the first time the sensor is used on a smartphone. The secondary sensors are said to be using Sony IMX581 and OmniVision OV64B, respectively.

To be clear, it's a smaller main sensor, 1/1.4" sized, but giant for a foldable (Pixel Fold is 1/2). To put it into perspective, the Pixel 8 Pro is a 1/1.31 sensor so the OnePlus fold is only slightly smaller. However, the Sony LYTIA 800 series sensor is stacked CMOS which allows for significantly more sensitivity.

On the displays:

quote:

Apparently, the OnePlus Open has a 6.31-inch outer display with a “Ceramic Guard” glass coating. That sounds like a fancy marketing term (Apple’s latest iPhones have a “Ceramic Shield”), but it’s claimed that the glass is 20% more impact-resistant than Gorilla Glass Victus. The outer display also has a 20:9 aspect ratio, which is equivalent to most modern nonfoldable smartphones.

The inner display, meanwhile, is a 7.82-inch panel, and both are claimed to be capable of 2,800 nits.

So, it's going to be about the same shape as a Pixel 8 with a slightly larger screen while folded.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

minusX posted:

I've had to sit on the screen you've posted for a while and it loaded after 10-30 seconds at points. Have you clicked "Battery Usage" and then just...wait?

Oh, huh. Yup, that worked.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

my media and notification volumes are at zero but messages still makes a sound when i send a message on my 8pro. what's the deal?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

butt dickus posted:

my media and notification volumes are at zero but messages still makes a sound when i send a message on my 8pro. what's the deal?

hear incoming and outgoing message sounds -> off

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
I got an email in the middle of the night from Family Link saying:

Google Family Link Team posted:

$KID2 recently installed an app on his Google Pixel 6a. Your current Family Link settings allow $KID2 to download no charge apps without your permission.
com.google.android.libraries.internal.sampleads_10003

can someone tell me what is likely to have happened here, and what (if anything) I should do about it?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anybody with an 8 had trouble with reconnecting to known wifi networks after you physically leave and return? My wifi at home will work in the morning, but when I come home from work 10 hours later it won't reconnect until I restart, saying "saved, check password and try again"

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I'm renting a truck that is the first vehicle I've used that does wireless android auto (my daily driver does wired).

I... Don't really like it? It seems to disconnect a little too often for my liking, makes my phone (Pixel 7) uncomfortably warm, and worst of all, absolutely tanks my battery in a way that I've never experienced before.

What am I missing here goons? The convenience of keeping your phone in your pocket is fine I guess, but it even takes a lot longer for it to connect to my phone (wired it works before I even see the built in infotainment).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RichterIX posted:

Has anybody with an 8 had trouble with reconnecting to known wifi networks after you physically leave and return? My wifi at home will work in the morning, but when I come home from work 10 hours later it won't reconnect until I restart, saying "saved, check password and try again"

No, but other wifi issues yes. Mine connects fine and claims it's got good speed when I do speed test, but it hangs a lot and seems much weaker than my 7.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Kirios posted:

So I'm renting a truck that is the first vehicle I've used that does wireless android auto (my daily driver does wired).

I... Don't really like it? It seems to disconnect a little too often for my liking, makes my phone (Pixel 7) uncomfortably warm, and worst of all, absolutely tanks my battery in a way that I've never experienced before.

What am I missing here goons? The convenience of keeping your phone in your pocket is fine I guess, but it even takes a lot longer for it to connect to my phone (wired it works before I even see the built in infotainment).

I've got an AAWireless box, and it's not significantly slower than wired. Not sure how different that would be than regular wireless. Might be a bad implementation by that specific auto maker.

Wireless is almost entirely just a convenience thing for short trips. I generally take my phone out of my pocket and put it in the center console regardless. I still plug it in to a dedicated charger for anything longer than a few minute drive, and a dedicated charger is generally going to deliver more power than the USB plugs in most cars.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kirios posted:

I've literally had none of those issues using my phones with wireless AA (via AAWireless adapter). I've driven 90 minutes with navigation and only used like 15% battery (P7P), phone stays cool, no disconnects, and it usually starts quicker than wired as well.

Could very well be that the head unit has a crappy implementation of it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It’s a 2022 Ram Bighorn (which loving sucks to drive but that’s besides the point) so I’m willing to believe the implementation on the Ram is pretty bad. It’s still a really crappy first impression though - kind of a bummer.

Edit: For full transparency my daily driver is a 2019 Nissan LEAF SV Plus, which I’ve had absolutely zero problems with on wired AA.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 18, 2023

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Thinking about getting my kiddo a phone so I can keep track of him around the neighborhood and beyond. It needs to be cheap, rugged and compatible with AT&T and also being Android / Family Link compatible would be great.

I figured for the price of a "kids phone" I could get him a Samsung ...something... used that would both be better as a phone and cheaper when he destroys it. Is there a model or series I should be looking for that would be small enough that a younger kid would be able to keep it with them?

The online guides recommend either "kid phones" that look like total garbage or smart watches of some kind. I guess I could look into getting him an LTE connected smart watch instead, but I don't know how to properly lock that down and I'm still worried about it getting absolutely destroyed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FunOne posted:

Thinking about getting my kiddo a phone so I can keep track of him around the neighborhood and beyond. It needs to be cheap, rugged and compatible with AT&T and also being Android / Family Link compatible would be great.

I figured for the price of a "kids phone" I could get him a Samsung ...something... used that would both be better as a phone and cheaper when he destroys it. Is there a model or series I should be looking for that would be small enough that a younger kid would be able to keep it with them?

The online guides recommend either "kid phones" that look like total garbage or smart watches of some kind. I guess I could look into getting him an LTE connected smart watch instead, but I don't know how to properly lock that down and I'm still worried about it getting absolutely destroyed.

How old is your kid?

Hate to say it, but if they reached teen status getting them anything other than an iPhone will open them up to mockery and ridicule from their peers. Sucks, but it's the truth!

https://www.phonearena.com/news/9-out-of-10-American-teenagers-own-an-iPhone_id143073

You can just slap google maps on it, enable always-on location sharing and share it with your family members. Easy peasy.

Also, I would totally think a smartwatch is more durable than a smartphone.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

How old is your kid?

Hate to say it, but if they reached teen status getting them anything other than an iPhone will open them up to mockery and ridicule from their peers. Sucks, but it's the truth!

8 and even if he was older IDGAF about his peers' opinions.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FunOne posted:

8 and even if he was older IDGAF about his peers' opinions.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-phones-for-kids/

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
A link to the article I mentioned in my post and iPhones, thanks for the help Android phone thread.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FunOne posted:

A link to the article I mentioned in my post and iPhones, thanks for the help Android phone thread.

All I know is my gf's sister got a watch thing for her kid instead of a cell phone (same age iirc)

I don't know that i'd give an 8 year old access to a cell phone anyways, so a smart watch seems like a decent compromise

I might be out of touch though I don't really think anyone younger than maybe 13 should have internet access

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FunOne posted:

IDGAF about his peers' opinions.

OK but I suspect they might

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
google family stuff gave a whole bunch of options for locking down a phone and monitoring what's done with it for both my kids

my youngest killed several basic/cheaper phones and we found the super basic ones to just not function properly but they are currently rocking an ancient galaxy s7 in a beefy case and it's working fine for what they need

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google now lets you purchase a single earbud, or case, or tips of their earbuds.

https://support.google.com/googlepixelbuds/answer/11997887?hl=en&co=GENIE.CountryCode%3DUS

Pretty nice, it's a small move but it would keep a lot of earbuds from getting junked.

I'm curious as to why the case is excluded from so many regions though. I wonder if it's places that are only available by air.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

All I know is my gf's sister got a watch thing for her kid instead of a cell phone (same age iirc)

I don't know that i'd give an 8 year old access to a cell phone anyways, so a smart watch seems like a decent compromise

I might be out of touch though I don't really think anyone younger than maybe 13 should have internet access

He's got a tablet already that's locked down. Agreed on unfiltered internet access not being age appropriate.

DesperateDan posted:

google family stuff gave a whole bunch of options for locking down a phone and monitoring what's done with it for both my kids

my youngest killed several basic/cheaper phones and we found the super basic ones to just not function properly but they are currently rocking an ancient galaxy s7 in a beefy case and it's working fine for what they need

Yeah, I was looking at an S6 Active or similar. Again, my thinking is that for the price of a "kids watch" he could straight up lose/destroy 4 cheap-rear end phones.

Skarsnik posted:

OK but I suspect they might

Ok? Looking forward to saying "Then use your own money to get what you want" when that time comes.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

FunOne posted:

He's got a tablet already that's locked down. Agreed on unfiltered internet access not being age appropriate.

Whats your lock down process/procedure?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Resdfru posted:

Whats your lock down process/procedure?

I just have a ton of stuff disabled other than his handful of games / TV apps via Family Link. I don't think it would survive a stronger technical person, but it seems to have walled him in pretty well on the tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

FunOne posted:

Yeah, I was looking at an S6 Active or similar. Again, my thinking is that for the price of a "kids watch" he could straight up lose/destroy 4 cheap-rear end phones.

Ok? Looking forward to saying "Then use your own money to get what you want" when that time comes.

I mean, best usable phone is probably a pixel 6/6a in an otterbox. Cheaper option is probably whatever Moto G Power Play One Etc that came out in 2023 in a reasonable case. Best overall use case is an iphone se with applecare.

That S6 Active has Android 5. Uh, good luck with that one.

We're an Android house, and just got two P8Ps, and still got the five year old a new iphone se to run his glucose sensor. Granted, he doesn't really play with it, but it's going to have better battery, connectivity, and assuming it survives, updates.