Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The US is aiding Israel because there's a lot more Jewish Americans than Palestinian-Americans, so there's a lot more political pressure to side with Israel.

This is pretty dumb - the reason the US is siding with Ukraine isn't that there are more Ukrainian Americans than Russian Americans.

Even if you assume that voters always prefer foreign policy in line with their personal ethnic/cultural origin, we know that American policy isn't responsive to voters, it's responsive to lobbyists and donors. So the idea that Americans want policy X is not enough to explain why politicians feel pressured to support policy X.

As for what gives the Israel lobby on America its rhetorical and financial power, there's:

-Foreign policy interests at play (Israel is the only US ally in the region)

-Economic interests (Israel is a major trading partner for the US and the US is Israel's greatest trading partner by far)

-Cultural interests (Israel represents "the right kind of Jew" to Christian Zionists, an avatar of the fight against antisemitism to American Jews, general progress to American liberals/progressives)

I AM GRANDO posted:

Also, being Jewish has no relationship to one’s thoughts about Israel, no matter what the American right (and Israel) would have you believe.

The rest of your post was correct but this is pretty silly. American Jewish cultural identity, for most of us, means much more emotional/intellectual/literal investment in Israel than the average American: https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2021/05/11/u-s-jews-connections-with-and-attitudes-toward-israel/

Being Jewish means you're much more likely to have family in Israel, to grow up learning and hearing about Israel, to have religious investments in eretz Israel, and to physically travel there. Not to mention that the state recognizes you as a potential citizen and claims to be acting on your behalf. It would be insane if all these things didn't make us more likely to care about what happens over there and how people talk about it.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yeah, I don’t think American Jews are really tipping the scales on the US relationship with Israel. There are about 8 million Jewish Americans spread across a total population of 350 million. That’s ~3%. The US supports Israel because it serves the foreign policy objectives of the US to do so. Also, being Jewish has no relationship to one’s thoughts about Israel, no matter what the American right (and Israel) would have you believe.

I suspect the majority of American Jewish population is actually more sympathetic to Palestinians than average Americans. (In a very vague "Two state solution would be good" sort of way).

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
From what I can tell, due to the US propaganda machine being pro-Israel (related to a whole bunch of colonialist and other US/middle east political relations history that I'm sure others would know about better than me, plus evangelical christians with their Revelations stuff) "Israel good" had been the mainstream political view in America for decades, to the point where while the democrat party is the one place where you could find mainstream politicians critical of Israel, most of them still go "Israel good" and celebrities who aren't right wing cranks are voicing support for Israel. Enough younger people in America are starting to be anti-Israel but that hasn't caught up to mainstream politicians yet (and it would probably be a long while if it ever does)

edit: Civilized Fishbot's post that popped up while I was writing this sums up some of my points better than I do

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 17, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yeah, I don’t think American Jews are really tipping the scales on the US relationship with Israel. There are about 8 million Jewish Americans spread across a total population of 350 million. That’s ~3%. The US supports Israel because it serves the foreign policy objectives of the US to do so. Also, being Jewish has no relationship to one’s thoughts about Israel, no matter what the American right (and Israel) would have you believe.

More to the point, the evangelical Christians support Israel because it has to exist for Jesus to return and nuke all the non believing Jews during the final days.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

From what I can tell, due to the US propaganda machine being pro-Israel (related to a whole bunch of colonialist and other US/middle east political relations history that I'm sure others would know about better than me, plus evangelical christians with their Revelations stuff) "Israel good" had been the mainstream political view in America for decades, to the point where while the democrat party is the one place where you could find mainstream politicians critical of Israel, most of them still go "Israel good" and celebrities who aren't right wing cranks are voicing support for Israel. Enough younger people in America are starting to be anti-Israel but that hasn't caught up to mainstream politicians yet (and it would probably be a long while if it ever does)

edit: Civilized Fishbot's post that popped up while I was writing this sums up some of my points better than I do

It's an example of full-blown group think at this point. The fact that being pro Palestine is a career ender doesn't depend on some Israel lobbyist . They'd never need to send one, the rest of the American ruling class and the fourth estate would take care of it for them.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Not only are they a relatively small percentage of the population, they are mostly concentrated in D strongholds like NY, NJ, and CA. There is a decent population in Florida (~600k) which could in theory have an impact on Federal elections if every Jew in the state decided to vote in one direction, but as you mentioned the Jewish electorate is not a monolith.

The reasons that US strongly backs Israel are (in no particular order):

1. Industrial interests (i.e. the MIC)
2. Christian zionism
3. Geopolitical / strategic value of having an ally in the Middle East

Nothing to do with the will of the American Jewish electorate.

Seph fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 17, 2023

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

As I understand it, the extraordinary measures period is typically included in any default deadline estimates, under the (so far consistently correct) assumption that the treasury will begin extraordinary measures when needed regardless of how Congressional negotiations are going. So yes, we hit the debt ceiling, stay there for some time while the treasury quietly scrambles to hold things together, then default some indeterminate time after and that is the point where all hell breaks loose

Yeah, this is correct. Earlier in the summer, the extraordinary measures, which had been going on for months, were nearly fully exhausted. If a deal had not been made, a technical default would've occurred, something that may have never happened in a self-inflicted manner to the country who issues what is the de facto world reserve currency at the time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think in addition to a lot of the stuff above, there's the simple appeal of "Israel is where the Bible happened. The real Bible, not the Muslim one." To the average American Christian, it's the only worthwhile part of the Middle East. And it naturally follows that they don't want Muslims to be able to have any claim to the area.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Will be interesting to see how this whole $100B funding and Biden's current trip shakes out in the wake of the IDF bombing.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

koolkal posted:

Will be interesting to see how this whole $100B funding and Biden's current trip shakes out in the wake of the IDF bombing.

"Israel has the right to strike back at terrorist threats, which they just did to great effect, so we're doubling our contribution to $200B in solidarity with our Jewish allies"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You’re going to have to be more specific

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

James Garfield posted:

Trump won Florida by 3% in 2020.

That was before Desantis did all the voter suppression and gerrymandering. Desantis won by 20% in 2022, running on a Trump platform. Demings also got crushed by 16%. The election "reforms," the retiring boomers, and all the people who moved here because of covid lockdowns have probably made it a lost cause in the short term.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ummel posted:

That was before Desantis did all the voter suppression and gerrymandering. Desantis won by 20% in 2022, running on a Trump platform. Demings also got crushed by 16%. The election "reforms," the retiring boomers, and all the people who moved here because of covid lockdowns have probably made it a lost cause in the short term.

Charlie Crist and Val Demings were colossally bad, only in Florida candidates. The epitome of running Republican-lite against a Republican, and then being surprised the Republican won.

However, Florida is slipping it's way out of swing state status. To win it Democrats are going to need to put up an actual candidate, unlike the last two options.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Seph posted:

Not only are they a relatively small percentage of the population, they are mostly concentrated in D strongholds like NY, NJ, and CA. There is a decent population in Florida (~600k) which could in theory have an impact on Federal elections if every Jew in the state decided to vote in one direction, but as you mentioned the Jewish electorate is not a monolith.

2. Christian zionism

I'd swap 2 and 3.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I think the “bait for the Jesus trap” aspect of US policy toward Israel is overstated. Those people are out there and every so often someone (Reagan, George Bush II) opens a door for them, but democrats treat Israel in exactly the same way that most republicans do. The empire has a good client and they will strengthen that relationship and keep it strong.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
What are the ten most effective/powerful state operated intelligence agencies today?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Uglycat posted:

What are the ten most effective/powerful state operated intelligence agencies today?

You’ve never heard of any of them

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uglycat posted:

Target

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
newscorp

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 5, 2023

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

haveblue posted:

You’ve never heard of any of them

Which Nation States operate those no-such Agencies? Top 10.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Uglycat posted:

Google, Apple, and Facebook.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Uglycat posted:

Which Nation States operate those no-such Agencies? Top 10.

I’ve never heard of them either

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Uglycat posted:

Google, Yandex, Facebook, X, VK, Amazon, Apple, Baidu, Goldman Sachs, whatever company Erik Prince is killing people with today

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

ummel posted:

That was before Desantis did all the voter suppression and gerrymandering.
The impact of gerrymandering on statewide elections is extremely limited - there's a case that uncompetitive races slightly sap turnout because the candidate in the packed district doesn't need to push GOTV so any reverse coattails benefits are limited (and indeed, Omar is routinely praised by the state DFL because she understands running up the score in her district helps the party win statewide)... but that's very, very marginal.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yeah, I think the “bait for the Jesus trap” aspect of US policy toward Israel is overstated. Those people are out there and every so often someone (Reagan, George Bush II) opens a door for them, but democrats treat Israel in exactly the same way that most republicans do. The empire has a good client and they will strengthen that relationship and keep it strong.
Maybe this is tautological, but I think it mainly matters in that it's created a widespread religiously-rooted default consensus that it's their divine destiny to rule that piece of Earth and everyone else should have to explain why they get to stay.

I don't think that would change their status as an American ally, Saudi Arabia already shows is proof the US will overlook virtually anything for that, but I do think it's why it's turned into this weird state of affairs where telling Israel to stop doing anything is a huge deal.

The post-9/11 Islamophobia sure didn't help either.

e: Oops this isn't the I/P thread.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 18, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

Google, Yandex, Facebook, X, VK, Amazon, Apple, Baidu, Goldman Sachs, whatever company Erik Prince is killing people with today

is X the musk X or is it an actual powerful X?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Personal story: On Sunday I was in line at a wake for about 40 minutes, standing behind USCE favorite Nicole Malliotakis. I reigned in my troll instincts because of decorum, but worked in a Scalise joke and she didn’t really laugh. That’s my story guys.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Personal story: On Sunday I was in line at a wake for about 40 minutes, standing behind USCE favorite Nicole Malliotakis. I reigned in my troll instincts because of decorum, but worked in a Scalise joke and she didn’t really laugh. That’s my story guys.

She seems like a bog-standard shithead from a skim of her wiki article. What makes her a thread favorite?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OneEightHundred posted:

e: Oops this isn't the I/P thread.

this is why i'm not greatly fond of the initial post throwing the "i am very upset about israel, please describe to me how the US is bad about it" grenade

maybe let's take israel discussion to the very active thread about it that i helpfully stickied a bit ago

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Seph posted:

2. Christian zionism

AIPAC is also a formidable lobbying and fundraising constituent.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

This is the first post, anywhere on the forums, about her in TYOOL 2023.

Of the prior 13 posts about her in any forum, 2 were in a USCE/USNEWS/USPOL thread. One about potential NY redistricting, one about a vote against MTG.

:chloe:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sorry you presumably were in Staten Island though.

That’s rough.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Really disappointed that Scalise and Jordan didn't go the McCarthy route of spamming votes and throwing tantrums until they got the job.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
From the thread The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Frights: Devil's Vineyard > PYF Schadenfreude: Playing a game of whackfuck, here thread:

Archonex posted:

From today right after Jim Jordan realized he wasn't going to be speaker.

You get one guess who is laughing in the background.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Google Jeb Bush posted:

this is why i'm not greatly fond of the initial post throwing the "i am very upset about israel, please describe to me how the US is bad about it" grenade

maybe let's take israel discussion to the very active thread about it that i helpfully stickied a bit ago

DnD is the most easily trolled board on the forums.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

She seems like a bog-standard shithead from a skim of her wiki article. What makes her a thread favorite?

No, she’s not, I was just being cheeky.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Comstar posted:

From the thread The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Frights: Devil's Vineyard > PYF Schadenfreude: Playing a game of whackfuck, here thread:

You get one guess who is laughing in the background.

I'm surprised they got a front shot of Jordan. Most of the time he's looking the other way.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
They're voting again for Speaker, and again Jordan doesn't appear to have the votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Poor dear.