Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Is that what americans mean when they talk about "sacking the quarterback"?

:discourse: very well done, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wanting some input if anyone could spare a moment. So to provide some background, my parents, my partner and I often play the copy of Tsuro I gave my parents years ago, as it's a super chill tile-laying game. Mostly playing it standard/as intended, but we tend to play a few rounds each time we catch up and often the final play or two will be a gimmick round to shake things up. (e.g. 'one tile only' where you have one tile in your hand, not the usual amount)

I'm just wondering though, if there are other similar games that don't force too much complexity or time-per-play on the player. I've played Seas of Tsuro (IIRC?) before with other people, which could be good if it comes with enough standard tiles to be able to ignore the special ones (and the accompanying dice rules) most of the time, so that we don't have to deal with the storm tiles unless we're feeling it. But it's not too highly regarded, I gather. Ships are cool, though

Other than that though, I'm not sure... I'm aware that they made a phoenix-themed Tsuro, but I remember someone in here mentioning that it's quite bad. More importantly, I also noticed a game called Indigo at a store recently, which looks similar? Not sure how similar though - BGG has it rated at about the same weight. Would this be worth getting, maybe? Otherwise, not sure... I wouldn't mind some additional (preferably optional) rules to spice things up a little, but my parents definitely lean towards sticking with what they know, for the most part. (So ideally, we'd probably start each session with a very 'vanilla'/Tsuro-esque game, then in subsequent plays spice it up in different ways)

Patchwork or Azul or maybe Hive

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Molly House by Cole Wherle up on https://www.backerkit.com/c/wehrlegig-games/wehrlegig-games?ref=just_launched_mailer

Not sure what to think. Cole is a good designer, but making a complex/rules-heavy social deduction games is always challenging. The best social deduction games keep it simple and rely on the strength of the logic puzzle and the social aspects.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Megasabin posted:

Molly House by Cole Wherle up on https://www.backerkit.com/c/wehrlegig-games/wehrlegig-games?ref=just_launched_mailer

Not sure what to think. Cole is a good designer, but making a complex/rules-heavy social deduction games is always challenging. The best social deduction games keep it simple and rely on the strength of the logic puzzle and the social aspects.

This is one of those games that I want to support but also recognize I will never get to the table.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wanting some input if anyone could spare a moment. So to provide some background, my parents, my partner and I often play the copy of Tsuro I gave my parents years ago, as it's a super chill tile-laying game. Mostly playing it standard/as intended, but we tend to play a few rounds each time we catch up and often the final play or two will be a gimmick round to shake things up. (e.g. 'one tile only' where you have one tile in your hand, not the usual amount)

I'm just wondering though, if there are other similar games that don't force too much complexity or time-per-play on the player. I've played Seas of Tsuro (IIRC?) before with other people, which could be good if it comes with enough standard tiles to be able to ignore the special ones (and the accompanying dice rules) most of the time, so that we don't have to deal with the storm tiles unless we're feeling it. But it's not too highly regarded, I gather. Ships are cool, though

Other than that though, I'm not sure... I'm aware that they made a phoenix-themed Tsuro, but I remember someone in here mentioning that it's quite bad. More importantly, I also noticed a game called Indigo at a store recently, which looks similar? Not sure how similar though - BGG has it rated at about the same weight. Would this be worth getting, maybe? Otherwise, not sure... I wouldn't mind some additional (preferably optional) rules to spice things up a little, but my parents definitely lean towards sticking with what they know, for the most part. (So ideally, we'd probably start each session with a very 'vanilla'/Tsuro-esque game, then in subsequent plays spice it up in different ways)

You could try Bites without using the power tiles or special rules cards. It's a pretty simple and short game even with those.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Seconding Bites

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have the feeling Voidfall might just be one of those games I have to play to make up my mind about. Can't really tell from reviews whether it'd gel with me or not.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

I'm just wondering though, if there are other similar games that don't force too much complexity or time-per-play on the player.

80% of my posts are probably recommending Hey! That's My Fish! because it's a perfect game, especially for people who like Tsuro. The rules are simple as hell, the game is fast as hell, and, when you're ready, the strategy gets deep/cutthroat as hell.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 18, 2023

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

I have the feeling Voidfall might just be one of those games I have to play to make up my mind about. Can't really tell from reviews whether it'd gel with me or not.

I have the Galactic Edition waiting for me at my FLGS and I keep going back and forth on whether or not I’m gonna refund it or not. It looks really great but also I feel there are too many things about it that bother me.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What kind of stuff bothers you? I know the eXplore part of 4X seems weak. I should browse the rulebook at least, bad rulebooks are the biggest deal-breaker for me these days.

I might put a bid on an eBay copy I'm watching just in case it doesn't get a lot of traction and I get it for cheap. Then I won't have to worry so much about getting it then deflating at the thought of learning and playing it :v:

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

What kind of stuff bothers you? I know the eXplore part of 4X seems weak. I should browse the rulebook at least, bad rulebooks are the biggest deal-breaker for me these days.

I might put a bid on an eBay copy I'm watching just in case it doesn't get a lot of traction and I get it for cheap. Then I won't have to worry so much about getting it then deflating at the thought of learning and playing it :v:

One of my main gripes is I’m not a big fan of the concept of “scenarios” for competitive mode, but I feel I need to understand how the game works before I can write it off for that. I can’t fully explain why this bothers me, so I’m trying not to lean too much into it.

Also, the game has the mechanic of determining turn order based off VP which I can fully explain why this bothers me but I don’t really want to go off on that tangent.

Probably the most realistic thing that is keeping me from buying it is that I’ve read some not so great stuff about the cooperative mode.

It’s a lot of small stuff, and mostly personal hang ups, but everything else about it hits so hard and the reviews and word of mouth is so high that I can’t write it off just yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Brought along Earth to last night's meet. I sold it to people as "like Wingspan but without the endless board running at the end", on the very good basis that that's what it is, and the group's big Wingspan enjoyer said at the end that it was exactly the kind of game he likes. The "follow the leader" actions and simultaneous resolution mean the game doesn't drag out much longer with higher player counts and there's virtually no downtime. It's going to be hitting the table fairly regularly, I expect.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

rydiafan posted:

80% of my posts are probably recommending Hey! That's My Fish! because it's a perfect game, especially for people who like Tsuro. The rules are simple as hell, the game is fast as hell, and, when you're ready, the strategy gets deep/cutthroat as hell.
Well I totally buckled and ordered That's my Fish! It was like £12 so worth a shot. Speaking of shots, I also added Long Shot to my basket because I apparently have too much space in my house.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Redundant posted:

Well I totally buckled and ordered That's my Fish! It was like £12 so worth a shot. Speaking of shots, I also added Long Shot to my basket because I apparently have too much space in my house.

If you have access to a 3D printer or someone who can do it for you, I'd heavily recommend one of the board grid things available for HTMF. It makes both setup and the collecting of tiles during the game pretty trivial, when normally they're a pain in the arse.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Having a party this weekend so busting out Don't Get Got, and waxing up my Crokinole board.

I suck at waxing =_=

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

CaptainApathyUK posted:

If you have access to a 3D printer or someone who can do it for you, I'd heavily recommend one of the board grid things available for HTMF. It makes both setup and the collecting of tiles during the game pretty trivial, when normally they're a pain in the arse.

I keep a nerf suction cup dart in my box for picking up tiles from the middle

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Thanks for the tip. I can get printing done for me so I'll take a look for a suitable file.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Redundant posted:

If this is the Dice Game of Long Shot, my friends and I really like that one. We can never remember what it's called, it's always "the horse racing game."

Spirit Island was on sale for $44 at Amazon the other day and I've wanted to play it for a bit but I've also been buying too many games recently so I talked myself out of it. I did not talk myself out of buying Horizons of Spirit Island for $15 though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I also talked myself out of buying Spirit Island. The nearly universal praise it gets makes me want it, and it does sound like a game that’s just right for my tastes, but I don’t think I’ll be getting another medium weight non-Arkham Horror co-op game to the table for a long while. It helped urge me away from buying that I absolutely hated it when I tried it on mobile, also, but I think that had more to do with the app and tutorial.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hmm yea you should try it on tabletop simulator instead. it has like the best implementation i've seen

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've played the hell out of Spirit Island solo and I hated the app on mobile and PC. It does a good job at representing the game, as far as I can tell, but it's a game where I need to play out what will or might happen in front of me or I'll get paralyzed by indecision.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Jolo posted:

If this is the Dice Game of Long Shot, my friends and I really like that one. We can never remember what it's called, it's always "the horse racing game."
Yeah, it's the dice game. Having a game that is fun to play and scales up to 8 people is a nice bonus. Plus, it's tiny.

LifeLynx posted:

I've played the hell out of Spirit Island solo and I hated the app on mobile and PC. It does a good job at representing the game, as far as I can tell, but it's a game where I need to play out what will or might happen in front of me or I'll get paralyzed by indecision.
Yeah, the app and even the tabletop simulator didn't really land for me. Having it in front of me really made a big difference. Maybe it's a mentality thing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

yea, Long Shot the dice game is fantastic.

and Land vs. Sea is a fun little tile laying game with some good strategy to it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LifeLynx posted:

Add me to this. I think in my case it's a tactile/haptic thing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Long Shot is a fantastic game, and the rules aren't complicated exactly, it's more that I find the rules are just sort of nonintuitive enough that it always needs a teach with several "ok listen up because this next part always throws people" moments

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Anonymous Robot posted:

I also talked myself out of buying Spirit Island. The nearly universal praise it gets makes me want it, and it does sound like a game that’s just right for my tastes, but I don’t think I’ll be getting another medium weight non-Arkham Horror co-op game to the table for a long while. It helped urge me away from buying that I absolutely hated it when I tried it on mobile, also, but I think that had more to do with the app and tutorial.

I love Spirit Island, the only reason I don't own it is because literally everyone else I know who plays board games already owns it.

Edit: Though if they come out with a Big Box version, I may just pick that up.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Piling on with the spirit island love, just to add,

I never play games solo. I don't really feel like that's a thing I do, you know? But Spirit island, I make an exception. It just works so well, and is such a 'full' experience solo, that it feels more like a computer game, or a puzzle, like you're getting the whole thing even when solo.

Obviously, prefer it with other people, I just thought it was interesting.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I prefer two-handed when playing co-op games alone, and Spirit Island is like the perfect game for it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I hate playing 2 handed in solo or multiplayer where it requires it if you don't have enough players, but SI is still great true solo. Some of the spirits are way better suited to it of course, but the modularity in difficulty via scenarios and invaders makes it really easy to dial in to each spirit. Back before the 1st big expansion I went through each spirit solo raising the difficulty until I got to a point I couldn't win after 2 or 3 tries and it was a great time.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've only two-handed SI once, as Lightning and Rampant Green vs level 4 England. Got killed two cards into stage 3 - the deck gave me three Mountain rounds in a row, and England's ability to build in an empty space immediately before they ravage is just unbeatable - you've got to get to the bottom of the fear deck before it's too late. I only did that because Lightning lends itself to high-destruction reclaim loops, so I could spend most of my brainpower on good old Green.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
2 hand spirit island is a brain burner but is still quite doable in a single sitting. I'm not sure if I like it as much as true solo, because it is significantly harder to keep track of everything when you're manipulating two boards, but it is good. I have done almost every spirit true solo at this point and they basically all can do it, although some of them are very clunky, or reliant on the special true solo rules.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm not going to link to his channel, but apparently Quackalope (remember him? the duck guy?) has posted four(!) apology videos in the past day or so, relating to the accusations of blackmail earlier this year.

One is called "Why I can be grateful I lost 5,500 subscribers," I poo poo you not.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

One of them is also promoting Ben Shapiro, if you needed any more reason to dislike the shithead

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

One of them is also promoting Ben Shapiro, if you needed any more reason to dislike the shithead
No fuckin way.

That's a plot twist.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

No fuckin way.

That's a plot twist.

https://twitter.com/quackalope

it's really not. just a disgusting person all around. there was speculation if this was him or not a while back but it was (at the time) linked from his website and patreon and companies were tagging it for promoted content (which is also gross). Seems he mostly just spams hate in replies now but it's some vile poo poo I don't recommend going through.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

:yikes:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

why the gently caress is he talking about Israel

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm glad he's talking about the real issues on his board gaming channel. Ben shapiros thoughts on being Jewish.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CODChimera posted:

why the gently caress is he talking about Israel

I believe that he was in the middle of converting to Judaism when the whole blackmailing controversy broke. He was was in Israel and I think he was wearing a skullcap in the video. Okay, that still doesn't explain why he's talking about Israel, but it offers a little bit of background, I guess.

My favorite bit of the Quackalope Blackmailing controversy, or as I call it "Quackmail" was when Rob Oren weighed in. Rob has a small youtube channel and was a contributor to the Dice Tower for a while so he's a known quantity. (If he's been cancelled or said something lovely, I don't know it yet. This is not necessarily an endorsement but he seems like a gentle soul.) He's was kinda like, "Hey can't we all just get along" at the sight of the controversy. Then 4 different industry friends reached out to be like, "Hey that guy actually sucks, here's some stories." One of them included Quacko intentionally holding onto prototypes that were supposed to be sent along to another content creator during a campaign because they presumably wanted their content to be more exclusive. Some real petty dirty pool. So he followed up and was like, "Wow, screw this kid" though not in so many words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

I believe that he was in the middle of converting to Judaism when the whole blackmailing controversy broke. He was was in Israel and I think he was wearing a skullcap in the video. Okay, that still doesn't explain why he's talking about Israel, but it offers a little bit of background, I guess.

Because there's nothing worse than a convert.