Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

So then, Panthers are hiring a new HC and you’re hooting and hollering for Steve Wilks? gently caress Ben Johnson, or any of these other younger offensive dudes, get me Steve Wilks. That’s you?

Ben Johnson already turned down the panthers OC position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
remember when Frank Reich was the hot upcoming offensive candidate

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

So then, Panthers are hiring a new HC and you’re hooting and hollering for Steve Wilks? gently caress Ben Johnson, or any of these other younger offensive dudes, get me Steve Wilks. That’s you?

I'm sure you didn't intend it to come off as snippy (maybe you did :) ), but I suppose so, yeah.

What Benne said is probably where I land, in that there isn't any one specific archetype of coach that is always going to be successful. Offensive wunderkinds are vogue right now, but just because they can scheme the gently caress out of an offense doesn't automatically mean they can command a locker room and deal with all of the poo poo HCs have to deal with any better than a DC or ST coordinator can.

Dan Campbell is a great example. He got an opportunity to be interim for an awful Dolphins team, ate poo poo, and had to go back to being a coordinator for years before he got the Lions job. He wasn't a hotshot coordinator like a lot of guys are, and by the letter of the law you could call him a retread, but he's rewarding the Lions faith.

I'm not going to poo poo on anyone looking to Ben Johnson or Eric Bienemy for their vacancy, I was just saying that I wouldn't have any issue with someone who is a DC and could be considered a retread like Wilks.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ozymandius1024 posted:

Dan Campbell is a great example. He got an opportunity to be interim for an awful Dolphins team, ate poo poo, and had to go back to being a coordinator for years before he got the Lions job. He wasn't a hotshot coordinator like a lot of guys are, and by the letter of the law you could call him a retread, but he's rewarding the Lions faith.

Campbell was never a coordinator at all, he was a TE coach and in NO he had an assistant Head Coach title, which basically meant Payton liked him a lot and mentored him. I wouldn’t really call him a retread, interims are just there to go down with the ship.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

I think your hands have been possessed by the ghost of Colin Cowherd, friend

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Genuine question. Does anyone want a defensive HC in the modern NFL? Like are any of ya’ll chomping at the bit to hire Evero or idk who else is a hot young DC?

It just feels like you’re hoping for a miracle where they’re both still good at assembling a defense and at hiring OCs vs getting a dude who can actually coach offense

Give me Capers and give me death.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Benne posted:

I'm sorry that I don't have a more interesting answer to this. A lot of the most important things that make a good head coach -- building a culture, hiring a great staff, getting player buy-in, carrying himself professionally as the public face of the team -- have nothing to do with whether he's an offensive or defensive guy.

Personally I would prefer a CEO type like Tomlin, Harbaugh or Carroll (or to a lesser extent Bill, which let's not forget that the most successful coach ever is a defensive guy). But there isn't a one-type-fits-all approach to coaching, and trying to insist on one is a good way to box yourself in, or hire Josh McDaniels for the 12th time.

The CEO type is interesting bc it doesn’t seem like something you can tell on the first hire? Like first time HCs are rarely trying to do the CEO type approach at first, maybe Daboll went the CEO route but I’m struggling to come up with other examples for first time HCs. Then you always have the risk they go the opposite direction like McCarthy who went from CEO last year to calling the plays this year. Largely agreed on the CEO thing though, it does seem more stable if nothing else.

I don’t know that Bill, even young Bill, would be that successful in the modern NFL though. That’s sort of my personal thought process in general. The rules have changed a lot and more importantly, to my mind, is an HC needs to have an aggressive mindset and that’s incredibly rare for defensive guys.

FizFashizzle posted:

Ben Johnson already turned down the panthers OC position.

HC or OC? Wait he did turn down HC, you’re right. Well drat.

ozymandius1024 posted:

I'm sure you didn't intend it to come off as snippy (maybe you did :) ), but I suppose so, yeah.

What Benne said is probably where I land

I'm not going to poo poo on anyone looking to Ben Johnson or Eric Bienemy for their vacancy, I was just saying that I wouldn't have any issue with someone who is a DC and could be considered a retread like Wilks.

Less snippy and more the idea of being pumped about a dude as unflappable and sort of bland seeming as Wilks is very funny to me.

Fair enough though.

Nervous posted:

Give me Capers and give me death.

Hell yea, someone gets it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I still think it's weird Rich Bisaccia never got a look anywhere after being extremely well received as interim coach for the Raiders and getting promoted to assistant head coach after only one year with the Packers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Reich is pushing the narrative that he was always planning to hand over play calling duties at some point this year. Whether that's true or not I don't know but it would kind of make some sense to ease a guy into it?

Either way the change from a power running team to a zone blocking one when you're buying a back who came from Philly and the lines built big and strong but not particularly mobile seems dumb as poo poo.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fi re Sta ley

👏 👏 👏 👏 👏

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was about to say , would it be a stretch that Staley's chair is getting warm? Dude's a goddamn joke

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shindragon posted:

I was about to say , would it be a stretch that Staley's chair is getting warm? Dude's a goddamn joke

It's burning hot.

He didn't even do anything that egregious today. The 4th down calls were all good. The players just didn't execute today.

Herbert was missing on wide open passes. Derwin himself had two really goddamn stupid personal foul penalties. Dallas was stopped on 3rd and 19 and the defense commits TWO holding calls deep in the secondary. The buck obviously stops with the coach but the players need to control what they can control.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I feel like Staley should’ve been fired last year and they just thought they’d run it back anyway.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Shindragon posted:

I'm going with Ross' earlier statement that he'll make it through the season but there's a timer is ticking on the rocket strapped to his chair

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I'm going with Ross' earlier statement that he'll make it through the season but there's a timer is ticking on the rocket strapped to his chair

The only reason I say this is because the Spanoses are so cheap and won't pay a coach not to coach.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Thought I remembered you saying that but couldn't remember exactly. The opposite of a Haslam

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

get this drat eberflus off my tv and out of my city!!!!!!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Also it won't matter who the Chargers hire next. It could be Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid, literally anyone you can think of. This type of bullshit will still happen because Chargers.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SKULL.GIF posted:

I still think it's weird Rich Bisaccia never got a look anywhere after being extremely well received as interim coach for the Raiders and getting promoted to assistant head coach after only one year with the Packers.

Same, he got that mediocre raiders team to the playoffs as an interim coach (in part because of singed-butt Staley but) after they had to deal with a lotta poo poo, and then back to STC? It’s weird—maybe he just didn’t want the pressure/responsibility

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Colts and I'm pretty sure the Raiders interviewed Bisaccia

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s a Sean Payton team now, they’ll just renegotiate his contract to lower the 2025 cap hit in exchange for paying him 10 million a year until 2035.

I feel like it's a little bold to assume Payton will be there in 2024 as well

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

SpaceDrake posted:

I feel like it's a little bold to assume Payton will be there in 2024 as well

Unless Sean organizes a unionization movement at a Wal-Mart, he'll be back for Year 2 at minimum.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

kalensc posted:

Unless Sean organizes a unionization movement at a Wal-Mart, he'll be back for Year 2 at minimum.

I think he stays but can definitely see him re-retiring. He thought he was getting an easy ride with Russ, neither he nor the team are making it easy on him, and the question of if he'll want to be around for a rebuild not only will be present, it will make him think back to how good he had it on Fox and chilling on couches not worrying about this poo poo except maybe as a fan

He left the league as a winner and took a big payday return because he thought he could add to that, :rubby: if you don't think it can very easily go south from here for his legacy if he chooses to stay long-term (regardless of if he'll be allowed to). If he's not aware of that by now, 5 more losses (ensuring his worst record ever) oughta get him there

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 17, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gotta think Sean leaving would probably be all she write for Russ.

I mean I guess he’ll bounce around for a while and probably end up on the panthers or browns or something but I don’t think we’re ever getting RWBS again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I feel like Staley should’ve been fired last year and they just thought they’d run it back anyway.

It's incredible that he survived what happened in the playoffs last year.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Gotta think Sean leaving would probably be all she write for Russ.

I mean I guess he’ll bounce around for a while and probably end up on the panthers or browns or something but I don’t think we’re ever getting RWBS again

As a backup, if he's willing, maybe. I don't think anyone in the league believes he can be even a league average starter anymore.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

fsif posted:

As a backup, if he's willing, maybe. I don't think anyone in the league believes he can be even a league average starter anymore.

i'd say there are teams he could definitely make better, but even without his current deal it's hard to see one of those teams taking that marginal upgrade at the position rather than looking to the future and trying to draft high

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
It isn't terribly surprising that Staley survived the playoff meltdown last year, if you know how the Spanoses operate. They're just aggressively cheap when it comes to paying for coaches and the training staff, year after year. The last time they paid top dollar for a head coach was Marty, and Dean was sore for years about having to pay him to stay home after he was shitcanned following 2006. Almost every coach they've had since Marty was A) a first time HC and B) came way cheaper than most of the other available ones on the market.

The exception to this is Norv, who was a two time retread who they were stuck with, because they fired Marty so late in the offseason and after the coaching staff was raided to go work elsewhere. Even then, Norv was IIRC one of the least well paid HCs in the league when he was with the Chargers.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

get this drat eberflus off my tv and out of my city!!!!!!

Hope you like waiting until January for this to happen.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

It isn't terribly surprising that Staley survived the playoff meltdown last year, if you know how the Spanoses operate. They're just aggressively cheap when it comes to paying for coaches and the training staff, year after year. The last time they paid top dollar for a head coach was Marty, and Dean was sore for years about having to pay him to stay home after he was shitcanned following 2006. Almost every coach they've had since Marty was A) a first time HC and B) came way cheaper than most of the other available ones on the market.

The exception to this is Norv, who was a two time retread who they were stuck with, because they fired Marty so late in the offseason and after the coaching staff was raided to go work elsewhere. Even then, Norv was IIRC one of the least well paid HCs in the league when he was with the Chargers.

The fact that people don't just know this is what makes me realize not everyone cares/pays attention to my dumb team

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chris James 2 posted:

I think he stays but can definitely see him re-retiring. He thought he was getting an easy ride with Russ, neither he nor the team are making it easy on him, and the question of if he'll want to be around for a rebuild not only will be present, it will make him think back to how good he had it on ESPN and chilling on couches not worrying about this poo poo except maybe as a fan

I’d be surprised if he retires, his personality is football and drugs and he stopped doing drugs a while ago so football is all he’s got. The fact that he took a job as bad as Denver instead of waiting around for the Chargers or Cowboys to open up is proof that he was bored out of his mind.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I just wonder if he was willing to stick around for a strip it down to the foundations rebuild, then why didn't he stay and do that in New Orleans? I can see a situation where he doesn't really want to keep coaching this team, and ownership isn't exactly desperate to keep him.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Still hard to believe Marty got shitcanned after 14-2

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d be surprised if he retires, his personality is football and drugs and he stopped doing drugs a while ago so football is all he’s got. The fact that he took a job as bad as Denver instead of waiting around for the Chargers or Cowboys to open up is proof that he was bored out of his mind.

i'm not sure it disagrees with your larger point, but Denver had to trade for him-- i assume Payton would have had a pretty competitive market had the Saints outright released him from his contract (or however that works with coach contracts)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Simplex posted:

I just wonder if he was willing to stick around for a strip it down to the foundations rebuild, then why didn't he stay and do that in New Orleans? I can see a situation where he doesn't really want to keep coaching this team, and ownership isn't exactly desperate to keep him.

I really don’t know, but it’s possible he was just burnt out and needed a break or thought he was ready to retire, then realized retirement is boring as poo poo and talked himself into taking a job he probably shouldn’t have.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I really don’t know, but it’s possible he was just burnt out and needed a break or thought he was ready to retire, then realized retirement is boring as poo poo and talked himself into taking a job he probably shouldn’t have.

Dump truck of money sure helps too

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He saw working with Russ as more appealing, even this version of Russ. He was openly making fun of Hackett's coaching performance with Russ, which makes it even worse that he's doing a worse job of it now, not just that he's doing a worse job than when he was coaching Taysom Hill, Ian Book, and 2021 Jameis

If he thought this was going to be easy, he's already wrong; if he thought this was going to be fun, he's already wrong. If this was the price to pay to not be bored, maybe being bored no longer sounds so bad

And yeah it is funny that if he'd held out one more year he'd have probably had the Cowboys job (and maybe even higher pay) and certainly better results

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Benne posted:

I'm sorry that I don't have a more interesting answer to this. A lot of the most important things that make a good head coach -- building a culture, hiring a great staff, getting player buy-in, carrying himself professionally as the public face of the team -- have nothing to do with whether he's an offensive or defensive guy.

Personally I would prefer a CEO type like Tomlin, Harbaugh or Carroll (or to a lesser extent Bill, which let's not forget that the most successful coach ever is a defensive guy). But there isn't a one-type-fits-all approach to coaching, and trying to insist on one is a good way to box yourself in, or hire Josh McDaniels for the 12th time.

Tomlin isn't a CEO type at all, he calls the defense.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Roasted Donut posted:

Tomlin isn't a CEO type at all, he calls the defense.

Sure he's a CEO

Chief dEfense Officer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I think until the system proves it can't lift the floor on any QB that plays in the system, Shanahan coaches are what you want. Demeco Ryans is a good coach and a defensive hire, sure, but a huge part of why the Texans are so improved this year is because Bobby Slowik is getting solid offensive efficiency out of that team. We can see the McDaniel effect as well, McVay is getting good results out of a pretty low talent Rams team.