Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Comic books are far more sexless/prudish/sanitized.

There is no difference between religion and manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

galagazombie posted:

It’s not that arbitrary. It was basically a tv show that had its big series finale. Everything was about “Let’s all team up and punch the purple man” and they did it. They punched the purple man. Purple Man is dead. All the protagonists that mattered are dead or retired. Who the hell cares about Ant Man and Shang-Chi? Plus of course the “MCU Formula” is a non-renewable resource. You can only chuckle at “Well THAT just happened!” So many times. And when you replace all the well liked characters/actors with D-Lister nobodies like the Eternals peoples tolerance for it falls even faster. Like it was obviously already a stale formula before Endgame, but the characters had enough residual charm you wanted to see them all punch the purple man and put a bow on the whole thing. Like a show that is running on fumes it’s last season or so but has a good sendoff series finale.

Imagining an MCU where COVID doesn't force them into basically taking 12-18 months off shortly after Endgame.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Marvel movies are all about keeping and fighting for the status quo and lately people are sick of it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

Marvel movies are all about keeping and fighting for the status quo and lately people are sick of it.

Sure, maybe. But they're also just loving boring lately too.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
what is everyone's favorite spooky movie for the month of October? I gotta go with 2014's THE GUEST

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

joker

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just saw A Bucket of Blood for the first time last night, it fuckin ruled, 5/5

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

what is everyone's favorite spooky movie for the month of October? I gotta go with 2014's THE GUEST

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Terrifier 2

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i watched Witchboard 2 the other night which is on Paramount Plus I think? Waaaay better than a movie named "Witchboard 2" has any right to be. GREAT effects work.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Witchboard 1 is pretty bad but does feature a pretty fun scene where a guy gets squished by a piece of sheetrock

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

In Training posted:

Hollywood has been making movies about fake petit bourgeois problems since there was money in the game in like 1915. That's why it was such a astounding propaganda machine for so long in a period where images could totally dominate . circulation over the written word.

theres a movie i watched a while ago called Love on a Budget (1938), its a light comedy about a destitute newlywed couple trying to make ends meet without the money for the finer things in life

this is the house they were given as a wedding present and what 1938 defined as "broke"

https://i.imgur.com/jOkbZ1M.mp4

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

theres a movie i watched a while ago called Love on a Budget (1938), its a light comedy about a destitute newlywed couple trying to make ends meet without the money for the finer things in life

this is the house they were given as a wedding present and what 1938 defined as "broke"

What is defined as "broke" in current media wildly out of sync now though too.

edit: nevermind missed what you were quoting, I'm tired.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DoombatINC posted:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the two broke girls seem to have plenty of money to get into various misadventures...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"I live above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley"

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I had somehow never heard of these movies until this year and I watched 1&2 and lol… just lmao.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Witchboard 1 is pretty bad but does feature a pretty fun scene where a guy gets squished by a piece of sheetrock

Witchboard 1 on a rented vhs was the first time I saw boobies in a movie so it's a 10/10 in my heart

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

Lol cool.

There are some examples depicting actual poverty conditions, a fave I always return to every couple of years is I am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1932). check it out, it's a very brisk 90 minutes and Paul muni slays in it as a WWI vet who cant land a steady job, gets rolled up into a labor prison on a bullshit charge and gets his life destroyed by the state prison system. The last act gets all Hollywood, rags-to-riches-rags and like a car chase shootout. But hell that's dope too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shameless posted:

Witchboard 1 on a rented vhs was the first time I saw boobies in a movie so it's a 10/10 in my heart

Tawny Kitaen, of Whitesnake music video fame

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Comic books are far more sexless/prudish/sanitized.

have you ever heard of, The Boys?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

didnt know that the irish win in halloween 3

i am disgusted

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Tawny Kitaen, of Whitesnake music video fame

...and there she is, you can see her right there, just writhing on the hood of the car! What was David Coverdale to do?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

the way superhero movies rationalize murder entirely on the basis of how indirectly its presented is astonishingly onbrand for american culture imo

like superman doesnt just murder zod in superman two he does it in a much more horrific way by tossing him off a cliff and leaving him to freeze to death in the arctic despite zod at this point being depowered and helpless

zods broken neck discourse even being a thing is pretty ridiculous in this context unless you turn on the news and note that israel can kill more civilians in a day than russia does in a month yet somehow israels making tough choices while russias just being evil for the hell of it

the fact that Loki who tried to genocide not only Earth but Asgard as well is just fully presented as a good guy now is kinda insane. like they had a few lines of dialogue reference it in the Loki show but then everyone just moved on, like he didn’t kill tens of thousands of humans, several gods, and willingly give Thanos the first piece of the weapon he would use to kill half of everyone

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

have you ever heard of, The Boys?
that's a tv show

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

indigi posted:

the fact that Loki who tried to genocide not only Earth but Asgard as well is just fully presented as a good guy now is kinda insane. like they had a few lines of dialogue reference it in the Loki show but then everyone just moved on, like he didn’t kill tens of thousands of humans, several gods, and willingly give Thanos the first piece of the weapon he would use to kill half of everyone

Wandavision did a version of this too. The message seems to be that what you did is unimportant so long as you feel bad. Not even bad about what you did - just bad about something.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

doesnt wanda then become the villain in the next doctor strange movie that was kind of weird thinking about how the way she just straight up murders unrelated people in other dimensions is oddly inline with how endgame treats people from other timelines as not being people at all

that should have been the twist to secret wars there are no skrulls just heroes from other timelines or dimensions loving up the one the one were watching because main character syndrome has turned them into psychopaths

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that's kinda sorta what the Loki show was about, the whole time authority is there to stop alternate timeline heroes/villains from loving up the canonical universe

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Some Guy TT posted:

doesnt wanda then become the villain in the next doctor strange movie that was kind of weird thinking about how the way she just straight up murders unrelated people in other dimensions is oddly inline with how endgame treats people from other timelines as not being people at all

that should have been the twist to secret wars there are no skrulls just heroes from other timelines or dimensions loving up the one the one were watching because main character syndrome has turned them into psychopaths

I didn't see wandavision but did get a free ticket to Doctor Strange 2 and yeah, if we didn't know multiverse traversal was a thing in that IP she would just be someone suffering from schizophrenia or meth psychosis with superpowers yelling THEY STOLE MY BABY! THEY STOLE MY FAMILY!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the avengers are big fans of multiversal genocide actually

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

the avengers are big fans of multiversal genocide actually

idk if it counts as genocide if the other planet is invariably going to crash into yours, or explode yours, within hours

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

idk if it counts as genocide if the other planet is invariably going to crash into yours, or explode yours, within hours

why not just build a device that bounces it away with anti-gravity magic mumbo jumbo

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
the message of all the cape flicks seems to be that as a member of the mass majority, free will is the real fiction. That's the ultimate premise of the Loki series on the Marvel side. on the DC side, the final confrontation between Wonder Woman and Trump stand-in Maxwell Lord goes like this:

WW: This world was a beautiful place just as it was... and you can't have it all. You can only have the truth. And the truth is enough. The truth is beautiful. So look at this world and look at what your wish is costing it.
ML: Why would I when it's finally my turn? The world belongs to me! You can't stop me. No one can!
WW: I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to everyone else.

end of history rhetoric that nothing can ever be allowed to change

mind your betters bc people can't govern themselves (nevermind that people have been propagandized to the extent that they can no longer define basic terms of common political discourse). there's even a short scene in Loki where it's revealed that he was D.B. Cooper and if you are up on Epstein thread lore, there's a theory that the real D.B. Cooper was Phoenix Program honcho and CIA boss William Colby

the alternate timeline stuff is also subterfuge in the sense that there's a version of you in this modal set of infinite realities where your perception isn't dominated by poo poo-life syndrome and you are instead Jeff Bezos-type in other realities, so that should provide enough comfort not to stir the pot in this material world

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

In Training posted:

Lol cool.

There are some examples depicting actual poverty conditions, a fave I always return to every couple of years is I am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1932). check it out, it's a very brisk 90 minutes and Paul muni slays in it as a WWI vet who cant land a steady job, gets rolled up into a labor prison on a bullshit charge and gets his life destroyed by the state prison system. The last act gets all Hollywood, rags-to-riches-rags and like a car chase shootout. But hell that's dope too.
Top tier recommendation

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

DoombatINC posted:

lol drat

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why not just build a device that bounces it away with anti-gravity magic mumbo jumbo

they tried that but Dr Doom was too clever

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

they tried that but Dr Doom was too clever

well, if he's okay with that, why did he cry during 9/11??

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rocky Horror Picture show or Ernest Scared Stupid

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

the mist (2007)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

indigi posted:

It was also an uninhabited one. When an inhabited Earth finally comes they can’t bring themselves to commit genocide even to save the universe, so Namor does a heel-turn and starts a villain team with Thanos that starts genociding alternate earths.