Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What happens if I play a 10/10 game and then play a better game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It would be 10/10 if Peter Parker could gently caress

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

haveblue posted:

That one goes to 11

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pros: this that and the other thing
Cons: this that and another other thing

10/10!

With cons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

smoobles posted:

It's so funny to me how many outlets are giving Spider-Man 2 a 9/10 and calling it a masterpiece.

What is a 10 out of 10 game to you, my guy

10/10 for a console exclusive is "A game I feel is worth getting death threats and constant online harassment over."

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

smoobles posted:

It's so funny to me how many outlets are giving Spider-Man 2 a 9/10 and calling it a masterpiece.

What is a 10 out of 10 game to you, my guy

It's no Hogwarts Legacy or Starfield!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Question: is Friday gaming’s Barbenheimer?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

10/10 for a console exclusive is "A game I feel is worth getting death threats and constant online harassment over."

That's 8.8

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

haveblue posted:

That's 8.8

8.8 was generous for twilight princess

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
"Games can't be 10/10 because that means they are perfect in every way" is the same argument as "no student should ever get an A+ because there's always room to improve", i.e. cowardly and pedantic.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Games can’t be 10/10 because some lunatic will have you swatted feels like a reasonable argument though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Volte posted:

"Games can't be 10/10 because that means they are perfect in every way" is the same argument as "no student should ever get an A+ because there's always room to improve", i.e. cowardly and pedantic.

exactly

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Batman Arkham Asylum was pretty much perfect iirc

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This game sucks poo poo and so many flaws.

6/10

Like, what's the point.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

haveblue posted:

That just is not possible.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum was pretty much perfect iirc

I played it on ps5 a while ago and it still held up for me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The first two Arkham games are pretty good with the caveat that they are also the most misogynistic games I have ever played

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Arist posted:

The first two Arkham games are pretty good with the caveat that they are also the most misogynistic games I have ever played

looks fine to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUWBoYwAgaE

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And I hear you asking, "What about Arkham Knight?"

That game has all the misogyny you loved in the previous entries while also being much less fun!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have played loads of 10/10 games. A lot these last three years too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

"Catwoman looks like she's carrying a 180 pound invisible back pack and Batman looks like his parents never died"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I have played at least 3 10/10 games this year

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Question: is Friday gaming’s Barbenheimer?

We watched barbie the other night and I fell asleep halfway through

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Arist posted:

That game has all the misogyny you loved in the previous entries while also being much less fun!

I thought City was the peak of that particular problem tbh, random mooks were basically addicted to calling Catwoman a stupid bitch out of nowhere.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The answer to "what is a 10/10 game to a reviewer" is quite simply Elden Ring.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Arist posted:

my hot take is that while Asylum is the best, Knight is better than City

400 riddler trophies? gently caress off

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yo is FF14 free edition worth playing if you're not into MMO's and only care about story?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GreenNight posted:

Yo is FF14 free edition worth playing if you're not into MMO's and only care about story?

That depends, are you willing to get through 50+ hours of MMO before reaching the parts of the story people care about.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GreenNight posted:

That would make you the target audience for FF14 yes

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

exquisite tea posted:

That depends, are you willing to get through 50+ hours of MMO before reaching the parts of the story people care about.

I heard it got streamlined so there is minimal MMO bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Yes. They've done a good job of making it solo friendly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Awesome. I saw that it now has unlimited time to play and with like 6 expansions free, I figured why not. My holdup before is I didnt want a monthly pass to play.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

GreenNight posted:

there is still a lot of chaff but it's free and you can go at your own pace. if you decide you're having fun enough, throw some dollars at it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FFXIV is my favorite game of all time largely off the back of the story

so, yes, if you're willing to accept a rather hefty up-front time investment, it's worth it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GreenNight posted:

this is a lie from the ffxiv agenda people. do not believe them

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 18, 2023

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Criminals don't tend to be concerned about misogyny.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
FF14’s story is not interesting enough to warrant the hundreds of hours it takes to go through it. I got about 80% of the way through heavensward, realized it had taken me like 100 hrs to get to that point and went on to better things

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When I say the Arkham games, City in particular, are misogynistic, I'm not just referring to the way criminals treat Catwoman (namely, by forgetting every word in their vocabulary other than "bitch"), but more noticing the characters the writers seem to have active disdain for. In Arkham, the #1 character the writers seem to just loving despise from everything about the way she's generally portrayed is Harley Quinn.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

When I say the Arkham games, City in particular, are misogynistic, I'm not just referring to the way criminals treat Catwoman (namely, by forgetting every word in their vocabulary other than "bitch"), but more noticing the characters the writers seem to have active disdain for. In Arkham, the #1 character the writers seem to just loving despise from everything about the way she's generally portrayed is Harley Quinn.

The game is kinder to other characters (Ivy and Oracle get a fair amount of respect) but yeah Arkham Harley Quinn is a loving awful character in some extremely sexist ways.