Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are a few level ranges where wing diver's best weapon by far is an explosive launcher. i forget the exact names, but it is almost as good at killing bugs as it is killing teammates.

The level 55 Plasma Great Cannon does up to 20,000 damage per shot. Blink Balls also do very good damage for no energy, but take a few seconds to charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

The level 55 Plasma Great Cannon does up to 20,000 damage per shot.

And when it's fully charged (if it's the one I'm thinking of) the burst range is enormous, your unlucky victims teammates can all get obliterated at the same time :getin:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

McSpanky posted:

And when it's fully charged (if it's the one I'm thinking of) the burst range is enormous, your unlucky victims teammates can all get obliterated at the same time :getin:

It's also amazing at blowing yourself the gently caress up on top of a building none of the rest of your team can get to. A+ would spend 80% of the mission dead again!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how did you blow up your self without also blowing up the building and all the other buildings around

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Hwurmp posted:

how did you blow up your self without also blowing up the building and all the other buildings around

If its anything like the times I've done it: buildings that support Aranea webs are indestructible.

Just more proof that aranea are the natural enemy of wing divers.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Arbetor posted:

If its anything like the times I've done it: buildings that support Aranea webs are indestructible.

Just more proof that aranea are the natural enemy of wing divers.

Some of the buildings in Inferno are hilariously tanky, one time the Air Raider had to spritefall it twice to knock it down after I blew myself to smitheroons. Turns out, the plasma cannon has just enough recoil to inch you back enough that the 5th or 6th shot clips the building roof and you die like a schlub.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sometimes the explosion sends you flying onto a different building

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
explosions are very versatile

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Odd question regarding EDF 4.1 (got a bunch of friends to pick it up on Steam): for online co-op was it crossplay compatible, or did all players have to be PSN or Steam? Couldn't find a clear answer for that elsewhere.

At least I'm turning new people onto the fun of EDF. :yeshaha:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's no crossplay.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Big sale on the EDF games this week. Is Iron Rain any good? Does anyone still play it?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Iron Rain has Prowl Rider which rules. The weapon unlocks/crystals are terrible. Some of the new enemies are neat

Most of the guns suck and you can't try them out before buying. Air Raider playstyle doesn't really exist.

Vehicles cost an absurd amount of money to call down and i don't remember there bring airstrikes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:flaccid:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Iron Rain well worth a play and Prowl Rider is some serious fun. Who needs vehicles when you summon your giant spider friend to ride around on.

Some of the outfit unlocks are very lol, lmao though.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you play iron rain look up a list of the hidden drone locations because they're very annoying to find even when you have a general idea where to look for them.

IR is fine. It has similar issues to IA but less pronounced. Everyone can use all the weapons and jet lifing with swords is really fun. They tried some stuff with the story where the edf has starship troopers kinda vibes but it doesnt really go anywhere.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I played Iron Rain so long ago that I forgot most of it. But I think I remember that it gets better.

Theres some unique missions, and weapons. It was not enough to be has good a mainline EDF game, but defended his existence.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Does EDF6 have the same multiplayer lobby system as EDF5 or is it drop-in friendly? I've been grinding out EDF5 lately and there's still a handful of games going but waiting on lobbies seems so antiquated.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I got edf5 and like it

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
EDF! I seriously can't wait for 6s release on steam and I will take days off work for it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

MikeRabsitch posted:

Does EDF6 have the same multiplayer lobby system as EDF5 or is it drop-in friendly? I've been grinding out EDF5 lately and there's still a handful of games going but waiting on lobbies seems so antiquated.

Better than Iron Rain, which requires you to keep refreshing the lobby page in hopes of an open room. I have only ever successfully played with one other person and the desync was awful. At least with 4.1, 5, and presumably 6, you can hop into a room with a game in progress and wait. Sometimes the host will end the mission if it is towards the beginning, too.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Does anyone want to sell me on why I should every play anything but wing diver?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

RC Cola posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3_dko0GLTg

Storm One fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 29, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ok pretend I don't have any of that cool stuff yet and my best gear is level 7.
But holy poo poo I need to play fencer I guess

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

MikeRabsitch posted:

It's the same

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

RC Cola posted:

ok pretend I don't have any of that cool stuff yet
5 and 6 have shared weapon drops so by the time you clear all missions with Diver you'll have plety of gear for other classes to play with.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RC Cola posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIR9kOffR-g

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

RC Cola posted:

ok pretend I don't have any of that cool stuff yet and my best gear is level 7.
But holy poo poo I need to play fencer I guess

Do you like piloting giant robots and calling in massive laser strikes from orbital satellites? Then you might also enjoy Air Raider!

Honestly the only class that doesn't have a multitude of awesome stuff feels like Ranger, which means it's a pity that's the one I seem to be by far the best with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ranger simply has the best guns. that's it. that's all they need, really.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Guess I'm playing some edf5 tonight. I also bought the game for my nephew and he's super excited to explode bugs with me

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Yup. Think of the ranger's rocket launchers as sniper rifles that shoot exploding bullets. Pair one with something that can safely clear space around you (such as a shotgun or assault rifle) and you're good to go for like 90% of the game. The remaining 10% may benefit by swapping in guided missiles or an actual sniper rifle or whatever else.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

lets hang out posted:

It's the same

I wish they would at least change it so password protected rooms not showing on the list was the default

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Ranger seems boring because it doesn't have flashy stuff like airstrikes or aerial movement or whatever until you play ranger for a while and realize that a full shotgun magazine is more powerful than most air strikes and your response to a hundred ants rushing you down is to pull the trigger three times.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ranger is never boring when you equip the more powerful grenades

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

if you're not gonna equip the turtle launcher why even bother

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
ranger 4 life

luv 2 ranger

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

EDF might just have some of the most satisfying shotguns in all of gaming.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only times rangers aren't great are the missions with lots of traveling and the missions with multiple overlapping shield bearers. the latter are even worse as air raider, unfortunately.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
gotta sharpen your bike skills

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yup, I've dabbled with the other classes but always come back to Ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

the only times rangers aren't great are the missions with lots of traveling and the missions with multiple overlapping shield bearers. the latter are even worse as air raider, unfortunately.
Why are you not riding the portable Gundams with turrets attached? Use a red and jump around, then when inside the shield, dismount, turn on turrets and chase it. Throw turrets on the shield bearer and let them destroy it for you.

Rangers are getting a huge buff in EDF6 while the others are getting tradeoffs.

RC Cola posted:

Guess I'm playing some edf5 tonight. I also bought the game for my nephew and he's super excited to explode bugs with me
Good job.