Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The real pro move is to ban sky from entering the ground entirely like cellino did when Leeds kept getting their fixtures moved around with zero notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1713238564526301529?s=46&t=MsImXKFxXpHhrx2kSTm6fA

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'm still not convinced that person actually exists

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/RobDawsonESPN/status/1713239859274342832

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
lmao

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lol but also slightly worried this means they're going to buy spurs instead

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Lol, better get the flags out of your Twitter handles, lads.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Thank god for that

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/mikekeegan_dm/status/1713259427778748533?s=46&t=N3-66DPOwW8UCUMpcpTUjQ

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ratcliffe's pitch to United is apparently all about how poo poo they are:

quote:

Sir Jim Ratcliffe questioned Manchester United’s recent transfer policy during his visit to the club in March, with the prospective new minority owner citing the previous summer’s acquisition of Casemiro as an example of what he views as questionable recruitment.

Ratcliffe, whose bid to purchase 25% of the club is expected to be voted on during a board meeting on Thursday, believes United run a productive commercial operation but that investment in the squad could be markedly improved.

Ratcliffe raised this during the presentation given to him on 17 March by the United hierarchy in the Jimmy Murphy Centre at the club’s Carrington training base. Richard Arnold, the chief executive, and John Murtough, the football director, were among those in attendance.

Ratcliffe suggested the choice of the players signed by United in the past few seasons had not always been the most prudent. As an example he pointed to Casemiro’s purchase for €60m the previous August from Real Madrid. The midfielder was 30 years old and was given a four-year contract of about £350,000 a week.

Ratcliffe’s views on recruitment may call into question the futures of Arnold and Murtough. Arnold, United’s most powerful executive, has overall responsibility for recruitment, while Murtough takes the lead in identifying potential targets. As part of the £1.3bn offer Ratcliffe, the Ineos owner, has made for a quarter share of United he wants control over the football department.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I for one think the current recruitment policy is excellent and they should not sell or listen to this guy

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He's spot on about Casemiro, Real Madrid 100% saw United coming with that transfer.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Casemiro is probably United’s best signing in the past few years so I don’t know what he’s talking about.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Casemiro is probably United’s best signing in the past few years so I don’t know what he’s talking about.

He was pretty good last year except for all the red cards, but a 60m fee and a 4-year contract on 350k/week is an awful lot for somebody in his 30s who plays a physically demanding position

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Ronald before it all went wrong, Eriksen, Fernandes, ???

If you're calling a 'successful transfer' a player who comes in at a reasonable price and performs at or above the level that the price tag would imply there's not many. I don't know who man u fans like but they're the ones who immediately jump to mind

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

If you're calling a 'successful transfer' a player who comes in at a reasonable price and performs at or above the level that the price tag would imply there's not many. I don't know who man u fans like but they're the ones who immediately jump to mind

I think Fernandes and Varane are their only transfers in recent years I'd call unqualified successes

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

Ronald before it all went wrong

It went wrong the second he signed.

vyelkin posted:

I think Fernandes and Varane are their only transfers in recent years I'd call unqualified successes

Varane is a sick-note and not in any way an unqualified success. Fernandes has been a brilliant signing, though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Varane, Fernandes, Casemiro and Wan-Bissaka are all good signings. They all cost an arm and a leg, but that’s just the market these days. There are no bargains.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

You don't remember how bad United was before they signed Bruno, he had 27 goals and 17 assists in his first 50 United matches, from midfield.

Eriksen was free and signed more for cover than to play 90 minutes, which he clearly can't do anymore.

United's current (extra) bad players are Onana, Casemiro, Dalot, and Rashford, although Rashford scored for England so maybe he'll kick on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

vyelkin posted:

Ratcliffe's pitch to United is apparently all about how poo poo they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Zz-Nkkaxc

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Varane, Fernandes, Casemiro and Wan-Bissaka are all good signings. They all cost an arm and a leg, but that’s just the market these days. There are no bargains.

I don't think Wan-Bissaka has ever looked "good" that I've seen, like he's fast and decent defensively but that's about it. Trossard, Zinchenko, and Odegaard (and maybe even Jorginho lol) were bargains the past couple years just for arsenal.

e: which is all just to say united are poo poo, don't let them off the hook lol

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tbf Lisandro Martinez for £47m was an excellent buy

and if Fernandes played for Liverpool the OptaJoe dude would be starting gov.uk petitions for him to get the Balloon Door

Casemiro was great last season and bad this season, but that's mostly to do with his new role after de-De Geaifying the tactics rather than him getting old and poo poo, hopefully throwing Amrabat in there will improve things

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
unfortunately amrabat will be playing left back for the rest of the season

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

sourdough posted:

I don't think Wan-Bissaka has ever looked "good" that I've seen, like he's fast and decent defensively but that's about it. Trossard, Zinchenko, and Odegaard (and maybe even Jorginho lol) were bargains the past couple years just for arsenal.

e: which is all just to say united are poo poo, don't let them off the hook lol
Wan-Bissaka leads a bunch of tables in defensive stats I think. But a great defensive fullback is probably not chic in the modern game.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I would generally say that the Ten Hag signings so far have largely been at least decent and had the right attitude, but it's also very clear that a lot of that is just Neil Warnock having Paddy Kenny on speed dial rather than having a clear development plan and scouting network

at a certain point Ajax will run out of players and they will have to close the Ajax

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Wan-Bissaka leads a bunch of tables in defensive stats I think. But a great defensive fullback is probably not chic in the modern game.

He's 70% as good as Dalot going forward and 700% better than Dalot at defending which is a tradeoff I'll take.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

FullLeatherJacket posted:

the Balloon Door

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

some of the world's best players and also michael owen have walked through it

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shrapnig posted:

He's 70% as good as Dalot going forward and 700% better than Dalot at defending which is a tradeoff I'll take.

Dalot's attacking prowess is overrated I think. AWB has done some spicy assists recently, I'm all in on team Wan-Bissaka

e: Wan-Bissaka has more assists for the club (10 vs. 4) and the same number of goals (2) in a comparable number of matches.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 19, 2023

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I would generally say that the Ten Hag signings so far have largely been at least decent and had the right attitude, but it's also very clear that a lot of that is just Neil Warnock having Paddy Kenny on speed dial rather than having a clear development plan and scouting network

at a certain point Ajax will run out of players and they will have to close the Ajax

Well the Antony signing was great after all

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
He's no world-beater, buuuut

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
You can't start out beating the world. Start small, with a girlfriend, and build from there?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Finally, proper foot is soon upon us.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Xabi posted:

Finally, proper foot is soon upon us.

Perfect foot weather as well. Sideways rain, massive two footed slide tackles and the ball getting stuck in the mud

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

the sex ghost posted:

Perfect foot weather as well. Sideways rain, massive two footed slide tackles and the ball getting stuck in the mud

Worms come up to the surface nicely

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

I think it’s been a while since “the pitch is in bad shape because of stadium share with a rugby team” has been a storyline in the Premier League, kinda miss it.

Also as we get into winter we also go into Orange Ball Watch.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

all of the rugby teams died on the way back to their home planet

now it's just jon bon jovi who ruins pitches

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

harperdc posted:

I think it’s been a while since “the pitch is in bad shape because of stadium share with a rugby team” has been a storyline in the Premier League, kinda miss it.

Also as we get into winter we also go into Orange Ball Watch.

Highlighter yellow this season:

Next season is the last season the Premier League will use a Nike ball, truly the end of an era.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Glad they finally processed my request to use shoot 5s instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

one of those coca-cola promotional ones that flew so far they ended up on someone's garden that you'd never spoken to before