Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Palestinian Red Crescent reporting Al Quds Hospital currently getting attacked

https://twitter.com/PalestineRCS/status/1714721700028293171

Purported huge Israeli bombing Islamic Jihad misfire about a block away

https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1714703569742422201

This hospital was ordered evacuated by Israel. PRCS says about 8,000 people are patients, working there, or sheltering from the barrage there.

https://reliefweb.int/report/occupied-palestinian-territory/prcs-statement-al-quds-hospital-evacuation-order-enar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Rakosi posted:

I agree, which is why I said I couldn't confirm it but did find that tweet of him claiming on the 9th that his wife was taking over his twitter. Of course, he could still be tweeting, but I have no idea. Regardless he's just a draftee content creator, not an IDF source or official.

Is he not an aide to Netanyahu?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

The Kingfish posted:

Nobody reputable, not even the IDF, is claiming that Hamas is responsible for the explosion.

On the released audio file the disembodied voices (which are supposedly Hamas operatives) claim that "we are saying that it belongs to the Palestinian Islamic Jihad" and then re-states "they are saying that it belongs to the Palestinian Islamic Jihad" which Hamas is not saying but means that Israel claims to have evidence that it was not PIJ but actually Hamas.. but so far as I am aware Israel is still claiming that it was PIJ and not Hamas...

it's a very confusing series of statements from the IDF.

(and to be clear I am not saying that the audio file is credible in any way, it's just funny that Israel can't seem to match it up to their own messaging)

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
N/m, missed discussion on this

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 18, 2023

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Rakosi posted:

I mean, I agree, but this isn't journalism.

Journalists make educated assumptions all the time, and for good reason. It would not be a journalistic failure, for example, to report that a family of Israelis found murdered in the area of the October 7 attacks were killed by Hamas—even if their deaths later prove unrelated to the attack.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

Zoeb posted:

You don't think that undermines someone's credibility?

Id say it depends. If the subject is the bombing of a hospital in Palestine and the poster is the "wife" of someone in the IDF then it wouldnt factor in for me.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Is he not an aide to Netanyahu?

I've seen a bunch of claim and counter claims to this point, but the current best evidence I can find is that he does have a connection to Netanyahu. Netanyahu even spoke at his wedding. However, his position is as a 'digital aide' and effectively a state-sponsored content creator for Israeli far-right social media and PR. He does not have any degree of seniority (as in being a staffer that would be in-the-know), and is certainly not an IDF spokesperson.

December 2022 (https://www.jns.org/the-rise-of-hananya-naftali-social-media-star-and-pro-israel-influencer/):

quote:

When asked how he got involved with former prime minister and now Prime Minister-designate Benjamin Netanyahu and the Likud Party, Naftali credited his “chutzpah.”

“By that time I had a few hundred thousand followers, so I literally messaged Benjamin Netanyahu’s adviser on Facebook one day. A few hours later he responded that they had thought about this idea themselves, and so it was funny that I had contacted them first,” he said.

In 2017, Naftali met Netanyahu in Jerusalem and interviewed him.

“It was a very short interview on how to defend Israel in the best possible way; I just wanted to get Netanyahu’s wisdom,” he said. “It was the first time I had met him, and months later they asked me to join his team. When you’re 22 and the prime minister offers you a job, you don’t say no. I guess they liked me. So, that’s how I got into this political world.”

“I am determined to continue and tell the story of Israel until my last breath,” Naftali concluded.

The Kingfish posted:

Journalists make educated assumptions all the time, and for good reason. It would not be a journalistic failure, for example, to report that a family of Israelis found murdered in the area of the October 7 attacks were killed by Hamas—even if their deaths later prove unrelated to the attack.

I understand what you're saying but that was an ongoing event and one more attribution of a war crime among many, even if incorrect, isn't likely going to set the entire region off into a state apoplexy that it was not already in the midst of. This was a new, singularly huge event of historic scope with nothing known and there was a clear and obvious danger as to how the world and particularly the region would react to incorrect claims. I feel your example is still actually a journalistic failure, but that the consequences just would be insignificant in the grand scheme of all the rest of the story so no one would likely care or pick up on it.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 18, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://twitter.com/jvplive/status/1714715291702149176?s=21

Based.

Very good to see Jewish people protesting against this unjust war, despite what the Israeli state would have us think.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sen. Fetterman is angry and disturbed by Rep. Tlaib, seems a harsh statement, but this is all so awful.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Fetterman is bought and paid for, to be expected.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 5, 2023

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Protesting congress at this exact moment is about as effective as protesting cinnabon

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

mannerup posted:

is he currently a member of the government in any official capacity? I see him being cited as a former digital media officer of Netanyahu and can't find anything on his current status. If he's just some state sponsored Israeli social media influencer, who gives a poo poo what he thinks
https://x.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1714372303834722813

The closest thing I've seen to an official position. He's probably some nephew of someone important, who gets to post through war instead of shoot. And I'm not even sure Thomas is posting this as fact vs comparing it to being a journalist.

ummel fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 18, 2023

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

PostNouveau posted:

Palestinian Red Crescent reporting Al Quds Hospital currently getting attacked

https://twitter.com/PalestineRCS/status/1714721700028293171

Purported huge Israeli bombing Islamic Jihad misfire about a block away

https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1714703569742422201

This hospital was ordered evacuated by Israel. PRCS says about 8,000 people are patients, working there, or sheltering from the barrage there.

https://reliefweb.int/report/occupied-palestinian-territory/prcs-statement-al-quds-hospital-evacuation-order-enar

No that’s just the northern lights, which PIJ have localised somehow.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

PT6A posted:

Very good to see Jewish people protesting against this unjust war, despite what the Israeli state would have us think.

The vast majority of Congressional Reps and senators sadly still support the Israeli ethnic cleansing against the people of Palestine.

https://twitter.com/FordFischer/sta...agenumber%3D933

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Rakosi posted:

There have also been tweeted claims that the rocket launches just before the hospital explosion were pre announced by Hamas, but I have avoided posting this because I can't read Arabic and I'm not sure if the timestamps make sense, because the hospital was struck at around 19:20, but this could be similar to issues of software timezones shifting stuff by exactly an hour that has been talked about in reference to some of the video footage.

ah well if there have been "tweeted claims". This seems like a very spurious claim to just throw out there from a source that looks less than credible. Does the person (apparently an antivaxxer without any medical education before suddenly becoming an expert on the middle east and ordnance) even speak arabic? because he has tweeted out translations of hebrew content despite not being fluent in that either, and has said he speaks "the only language that is important: American.". Offering this as a sort of...I don't know, equivalent of or rebuttal to, an actual journalist checking with arabic speakers is really odd, and that's not even touching the "hamas" part of it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

birdstrike posted:

No that’s just the northern lights, which PIJ have localised somehow.

They're preparing steamed JDAMs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Any thoughts on the comically prominent Cyrillic watermark that the tweeter does not feel the need to mention? It's odd that he wouldn't cite his source if they were someone credible.

e: I don't speak Russian, but I'm pretty sure it transliterates to "Telegram Kanal 'Golos Izrailya,'" which google translates to "Telegram Channel 'Voice of Israel.'" No idea if that clarifies anything, but it's a curious detail to omit.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 18, 2023

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

ummel posted:

https://x.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1714372303834722813

The closest thing I've seen to an official position. He's probably some nephew of someone important, who gets to post through war instead of shoot. And I'm not even sure Thomas is posting this as fact vs comparing it to being a journalist.

Here's Netanyahu at his wedding back in January giving a speech.

https://twitter.com/HananyaNaftali/status/1617879346152374274

If you watch the clip, Netanyahu says that Hananya works for him and "produces content".

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

NovemberMike posted:

The current violence goes back to the late 1910s to early 1920s then. The Jaffa Riots are one of the earliest big ones. There are two main movements leading up to this, the first being the British supporting Jewish migration under the Balfour Declaration (and an influx of Jewish nationalists) and the other being the rise of Arab ethnonationalist movements at the tail end of the Ottoman Empire (the Palestinian flag is a modification of the Flag of Arab Revolt against the Ottomans). Both sides started to push more strongly for their own brand of ethnonationalism and against multicultural unity.

Pro-Israeli people are going to tend to focus on the Arab ethnonationalist elements (massacres of Jews, Palestinians being part of the surrounding nations attacking Israel, etc.). Pro-Palestinian people will focus on the Jewish ethnonationalist elements (literal terrorism, the Nakba, the ongoing apartheid). The more I learn about the conflict the less sure I am about anything so I'm not going to really suggest who's right or wrong.

it actually began as a a fairly typical ethnic squabble over territories which rose as the result of collapse of multi-ethnic empires at the end of the 19th century, albeit one which kept going for a lot longer than usual

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Any thoughts on the comically prominent Cyrillic watermark that the tweeter does not feel the need to mention? It's odd that he wouldn't cite his source if they were someone credible.

e: I don't speak Russian, but I'm pretty sure it transliterates to "Telegram Kanal 'Golos Izrailya,'" which google translates to "Telegram Channel 'Voice of Israel.'" No idea if that clarifies anything, but it's a curious detail to omit.

I can confirm that it's a very low-quality tg channel that spreads a lot of unconfirmed rumours and outright fakes mixed with reposts from more reputable sources. I will try to locate that specific tg post to check where they got it from.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Dubar posted:

Protesting congress at this exact moment is about as effective as protesting cinnabon

Disagree strongly, every bit helps and hats off to those brave protestors for making a stand.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Found the original tg post:
https://t.me/hamasps/16836

It looks like it is HAMAS' official tg channel, there are google results about it prior to Oct 7. I don't speak Arabic so don't know how accurate the translation is, but Google gives me this:

quote:

Al-Qassam Brigades bomb occupied Haifa with an R160 missile in response to the massacres against civilians

Guardian also mention it here
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rocket-to-blame

quote:

Updates at 7pm described “bombardment by rockets” on Ashdod. Another, three minutes later, described an attack on Tel Aviv.

At 8.14pm, Hamas gave a further update, describing how al-Qassam brigades had targeted the northern Israeli city of Haifa with a R160 missile.

This was followed immediately by a press statement blaming Israel for the blast at the hospital which they called “an horrific massacre”.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Paladinus posted:

Found the original tg post:
https://t.me/hamasps/16836

It looks like it is HAMAS' official tg channel, there are google results about it prior to Oct 7. I don't speak Arabic so don't know how accurate the translation is, but Google gives me this:

Guardian also mention it here
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rocket-to-blame

The R160 is a rocket, not a missile

Minor translation error there on the part of Google but it's an important difference. Missiles are guided and rockets aren't.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Typo posted:

it actually began as a a fairly typical ethnic squabble over territories which rose as the result of collapse of multi-ethnic empires at the end of the 19th century, albeit one which kept going for a lot longer than usual

Which multi-ethnic empires? Are you talking about the late 19th century decline of the Ottomans? The whole Arab nationalism thing dates back to that but it didn't really manifest as violence against Jews until the Mandate era.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

NovemberMike posted:

Which multi-ethnic empires? Are you talking about the late 19th century decline of the Ottomans? The whole Arab nationalism thing dates back to that but it didn't really manifest as violence against Jews until the Mandate era.

The Ottomans then the British

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The BBC also has an article up:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67144061

quote:

The explosion at the hospital happened at around 19:00 local time (16:00 GMT) on Tuesday. A 20-second video which circulated on social media purporting to show the blast was the first significant piece of visual evidence to emerge of the incident.
[...]
Live footage from the Al-Jazeera media network aired at 18:59 local time showed a bright light rising in the skies above Gaza. It flashes twice before drastically changing direction, and it then explodes.

An explosion is then seen on the ground far away, followed by a much larger explosion closer to the camera operator, which the BBC has geolocated.
Like the Guardian, it also puts the blast at 19:00 and seems to think that the Al Jazeera footage shows it. I'm not sure what source people are using to confidently place the blast at a different time and therefore "debunk" the Al Jazeera footage (and several other videos showing the same thing from different angles).

It also spoke to some experts:

quote:

We contacted 20 think tanks, universities and companies with weapons expertise. Nine of them are yet to respond, five would not comment, but we spoke to experts at the remaining six.

We asked whether the available evidence - including the size of the explosion and the sounds heard beforehand - could be used to determine the cause of the hospital blast.

So far, the findings are inconclusive. Three experts we spoke to say it is not consistent with what you would expect from a typical Israeli air strike with a large munition.

J Andres Gannon, an assistant professor at Vanderbilt University, in the US, says the ground explosions appeared to be small, meaning that the heat generated from the impact may have been caused by leftover rocket fuel rather than an explosion from a warhead.

Justin Bronk, senior research fellow at the UK-based Royal United Services Institute, agrees. While it is difficult to be sure at such an early stage, he says, the evidence looks like the explosion was caused by a failed rocket section hitting the car park and causing a fuel and propellant fire.

Mr Gannon says it is not possible to determine whether the projectile struck its intended target from the footage he has seen. He adds that the flashes in the sky likely indicate the projectile was a rocket with an engine that overheated and stopped working.

Valeria Scuto, lead Middle East analyst at Sibylline, a risk assessment company, notes that Israel has the capacity to carry out other forms of air strike by drone, where they might use Hellfire missiles. These missiles generate a significant amount of heat but would not necessarily leave a large crater. But she says uncorroborated footage shows a pattern of fires at the hospital site that was not consistent with this explanation.
A few of them said it didn't look like what they'd expect from an Israeli munition. Closest is the third one suggesting a Hellfire missile, but she doesn't seem convinced. With that said none of them are speaking with any confidence.

It would be an insane coincidence that Hamas/PIH launched a barrage of rockets, one of which seemed to misfire, seconds before Israel struck the hospital. But it would also be an insane coincidence for a misfiring rocket to land in one of the worst places it could've possibly landed in a hospital that had received threats from Israel in the days prior. Seems like both sides can easily stick to their positions unless further evidence emerges.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 18, 2023

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

A few of those folks sound like frauds. There's just not that much energy in a Gazan rocket. And lol at solid motor overheating and not combusting. What a joke.

Folks here really scared of Occam's razor like the boogieman

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

guidoanselmi posted:

A few of those folks sound like frauds. There's just not that much energy in a Gazan rocket. And lol at solid motor overheating and not combusting. What a joke.

You do know they have bigger rockets than the Qassam 3s?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/WHOoPt/status/1714713833359466702

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Nail Rat posted:

However, we cannot allow the UN to ask Israel to pause this for humanitarian aid.

Mind you, France and the UK also vetoed the resolution.

edit: this was in response to Joe up there
This isn't quite accurate. The US did veto the Brazilian proposal earlier today - which is bad as it had support - but France voted in favor and the UK abstained (neither have used their veto since 1989). Russia also abstained as it was sulking.

I assume you are mixing it up with Russia's earlier UNSC proposal on Monday? They were basically trolling and never intended it to be adopted - they refused to allow any discussion on the wording, just a straight vote - knowing it would be rejected. The fact the US, Japan, UK and France voted against that one though wasn't a use of the veto, as it failed to get enough support from other members - multiple countries - including multiple non-Western ones - rejected it and expressed irritation with Russia for pissing about whilst people were trying to build consensus around the Brazilian proposal (although that clearly didn't work!).

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not impossible for blowing up the parking lot outside to kill a bunch of people. Gaza's hospitals were warning about being well over capacity days ago, with reports of "seriously injured people lining the corridors" and long lines outside due to all the beds being full and all the doctors being busy. Moreover, there were multiple reports of tens of thousands of unhurt people flocking to the hospitals because they have nowhere else to go and hope that the hospitals might be less likely to get bombed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/17/gaza-main-hospital-overflows-with-living-dead-dar-al-shifa

That's a different hospital, of course, but it's probably safe to assume it's not the only hospital facing those issues. In circumstances like that, it's plausible that even a parking lot explosion could be a mass casualty event.

Going out in a limb here to say that, based on the evidence that has come out, it’s impossible that over five hundred people died from that explosion.

Maybe next time, people should take the claims of Hamas with a grain of salt and actually verify it before taking it at face value.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ASIC v Danny Bro fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 18, 2023

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

NovemberMike posted:

You do know they have bigger rockets than the Qassam 3s?

guidoanselmi posted:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

they just came out with the Qassam 4 Pros

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Going out in a limb here to say that, based on the evidence that has come out, it’s impossible that over five hundred people died from that explosion.

Maybe next time, people should take the claims of Hamas with a grain of salt and actually verify it before taking it at face value.

some one should tell the world health organization

https://twitter.com/WHOoPt/status/1714713833359466702

like 471 isn't literally over 500 (although who knows with over 300 injured and 28 critically injured where the final tally ends up), but at that point you're splitting loving hairs

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

471 people is less than 500 so technically correct, I guess.

Per the Guardian, the hospital account is that at points over 5000 people were using the hospital grounds to shelter, perceiving it as safer than the rest of the region, which was being heavily bombed.

Brucolac fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 18, 2023

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

So I take it that's a no? You did not know that? Occams razor is that Hamas said they're shooting big rockets with more fuel that go farther, then we see a rocket fail on Al Jazeera and then we see an explosion that experts say looks like a rocket with unspent fuel hit the hospital courtyard, so with few assumptions it looks like a rocket that Hamas/PIJ shot.

I'm sure that you have a lot more experience than literal professors of air combat that work for prestigious universities and think tanks that have been within a short walk of Downing Street for the last two hundred years.

EDIT: Can you tell me if jet fuel melts steel beams?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also worth noting that death tolls in hospital disasters have a nasty habit of going up, not down, since they result in a lot of people (a) finding it more difficult to stay alive, and (b) having less resources available to help them stay alive.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

NovemberMike posted:

So I take it that's a no? You did not know that? Occams razor is that Hamas said they're shooting big rockets with more fuel that go farther, then we see a rocket fail on Al Jazeera and then we see an explosion that experts say looks like a rocket with unspent fuel hit the hospital courtyard, so with few assumptions it looks like a rocket that Hamas/PIJ shot.

I'm sure that you have a lot more experience than literal professors of air combat that work for prestigious universities and think tanks that have been within a short walk of Downing Street for the last two hundred years.

Actually, yes to both. The "experts" aren't too bright when it comes to light scattering in medium, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

In your expert opinion, how many people died? Given you clearly have a great deal of insight on the matter and you're a super big expert on this poo poo.