Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Stellaris, more than any other paradox title, was and still is to a degree, disgustingly bloated with features, buttons to click, menus hidden behind menus, modifiers, hidden modifiers.. etc... It's still bad, but not nearly as bad as it was.

CK3 has things wrong with it, but not on the level of Stellaris, even in the present. CK3 is my favorite current pdx title and has solid bones even accounting for all the ways it needs attention.

Still, I wish it had a custodian team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

George Sex - REAL posted:

Stellaris, more than any other paradox title, was and still is to a degree, disgustingly bloated with features, buttons to click, menus hidden behind menus, modifiers, hidden modifiers.. etc... It's still bad, but not nearly as bad as it was.

CK3 has things wrong with it, but not on the level of Stellaris, even in the present. CK3 is my favorite current pdx title and has solid bones even accounting for all the ways it needs attention.

Still, I wish it had a custodian team.

Yeah pretty much how I feel too. The main thing atm for me is the notifications/alerts. A patch that gives us more control over what gets a notice, how, and how bad it gets before it shows up would be a godsend.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

nerf dilligent by making those auto recruit things disabled imo

Haha I like this idea.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

scaterry posted:

According to the dev replies, tax collectors will have an 'auto-recruit' feature if you don't care about appointing them. So they learned from accolades

I don't have T&T but... instead of 'learning from' mistakes, how about fixing them? The cynical part of me says that that's not how their business model works.

The Stellaris chat is timely, that game was an awful mess and the only takeaway I got from it was that PDX is really skilled at getting people to shove good money after bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if your playing the game consistently the game is doing what it’s supposed to. No matter how much you may whine and cry about it your still playing it

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if your playing the game consistently the game is doing what it’s supposed to. No matter how much you may whine and cry about it your still playing it

I'm not. I doubt few people in this relatively inactive thread are

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

George Sex - REAL posted:

I'm not. I doubt few people in this relatively inactive thread are

I don’t care about you or people in this thread they aren’t very relevant. People aren’t just throwing money away, they are playing a game they like. Literally no game out there hinges on the hundreds of people on SA

Which brings my point. You both want to argue they are tricking people to buy their stuff while also somehow no one is actually playing it.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t care about you or people in this thread they aren’t very relevant. People aren’t just throwing money away, they are playing a game they like. Literally no game out there hinges on the hundreds of people on SA

Which brings my point. You both want to argue they are tricking people to buy their stuff while also somehow no one is actually playing it.

I'm not doing any of this stuff and why don't you care about me? I'm here talking talking to you and that's more than I can say about anyone else in your life

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think the game automatically picks a successor if one exists with the right trait for the primary attribute

Only if they are already a knight. If you've filled your court with monster prowess knights, the guy with the right traits might not be a knight and not be eligible to be a successor.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
Tournament are really good to raise the prestige of your character, which is really useful if you are playing Viking or what to start twenty wars in a row.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Are tribals fun to play yet?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Since when where Vikings not a riotously good time?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Szarrukin posted:

Once or twice, in my opinion. And mostly vikings, who have some flavor on them

And try a small, difficult start, because it’s pretty much very easy mode after you get the basics

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is there a way to get rid of the ambient sound from a grand tournament that seems to stick with me for the entire remainder of a run? I've heard that one guy off to the left shout about 4000 times and it's driving me mad.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I probably won't play again until they officially expand the map into China and I can play through the collapse of the Tang Dynasty

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

My dude they don't even have Turks in Anatolia yet.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Szarrukin posted:

Viking tribal can be esp if you shortcut to feudalism through elevating Mann. Some of the African faiths are fun too. Steppe is pretty much a dead zone.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

SlothBear posted:

Steppe is pretty much a dead zone.

This part saddens me to no end. It's so boring up there.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don't worry we'll get some sort of steppe DLC eventually that will add something to do there. Crusader Khans III

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

To me, the steppe is worth playing one time, and that's to be Greatest of all Khans. After that, yea it's pretty useless.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, elevate the Kingdom of Mann is the most fun thing you can do as tribal, probably

But right after you achieve it is pretty much game over because you instantly become an unstoppable power house

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elevating the Kingdom of Mann is a pain in the rear end and leaves you with a gaping hole where your wallet should be once you accomplish it, in my experience. Raiding barely paid for the MaA expenses needed to do the raiding.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont know, its been a while but I remember I could get quite a lot of money raiding and I got strong enough to beat literally any nation on the world a bit after the decision

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah, the nerf to building slots hurt it a little but it's still the single most powerful decision in the game.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

You still need to make sure your tribal holdings are in good shape before taking the Elevate Mann decision. So if you take it right away and you haven't built anything, then yea, you're going to be hurting for money. They did make tribal harder when they shrunk the building slots. That transition to feudal is rough for a while.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Mann decision's nerf rather annoys me. The entire point of "the stolen city" goes out the door when there's only two slots to built in, instead of a golden city to reward going tall with your ill gotten booty.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

every single grand strategy game i keep track of the community of wants a stellaris-style custodian team. every single one

it really is something that "we will actually fix bugs and deal with old gameplay jank" makes you a world class dev team

the other thing stellaris eventually got (though still to less degree than i would like) is regular narrative content updates. idg paradox's boner for new systems when they put out a decent enough skeleton at launch that was way more limited by its lack of poo poo to actually experience. surely writers can't be that more expensive than software devs

ck3 can have all the culture fusion systems in the world and i won't give a poo poo when i have to see the same "smelly court" event for the fifth time over in the same campaign. systems provide a framework to contextualize events but matter gently caress all when there's only three events for a given system. did they ever make use of the Fate Of Iberia system outside that specific DLC?

Dec 30, 2008
The new DLC is going to use the Fate of Iberia framework to simulate the Iranian Intermezzo. Not sure how to feel about it since I didn't really enjoy the Reconquista system, but this time it's being designed to operate within much more compressed time frame so it might be better.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Ok before declaring independence from your emperor, double check that your allies aren’t also his spineless vassals. That did not go well for anyone related to me who held land.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

They really need to add in more options to make the game more difficult in the game settings. I don't know why there isn't a way to severely limit the number of vassals and the demesne size a character can have. (The current demesne rules dont limit it enough)The de jure liege system doesn't give enough penalties. I think there is a restricted diplomatic range, but it feels less restricted than CK2.

They should put in a mode where death, fertility ages and lifespan are in line with the actual medieval world. Also, I don't know why they took disease off the map, they feel like nothing now. I loved watching the plague creep towards Europe when I was playing CK2.

Taking away the random aspect of fabricating claims makes them much less frustrating, but it also makes it way too easy to fabricate claims and to expand. They should put in options to limit the amount of claim fabrication that can be done in a certain amount of time.

Basically, the game just needs more options to be good IMO. Right now, it's fun for a little bit until you become decent at it in any way, then it becomes trivial.

Guest posted:

The new DLC is going to use the Fate of Iberia framework to simulate the Iranian Intermezzo. Not sure how to feel about it since I didn't really enjoy the Reconquista system, but this time it's being designed to operate within much more compressed time frame so it might be better.

Hopefully its different enough that it doesn't feel just like Iberia. The main problem I have with CK3 is the everywhere feels the same.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 22, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

gurragadon posted:

They really need to add in more options to make the game more difficult in the game settings. I don't know why there isn't a way to severely limit the number of vassals and the demesne size a character can have. (The current demesne rules dont limit it enough)The de jure liege system doesn't give enough penalties. I think there is a restricted diplomatic range, but it feels less restricted than CK2.

They should put in a mode where death, fertility ages and lifespan are in line with the actual medieval world. Also, I don't know why they took disease off the map, they feel like nothing now. I loved watching the plague creep towards Europe when I was playing CK2.

Taking away the random aspect of fabricating claims makes them much less frustrating, but it also makes it way too easy to fabricate claims and to expand. They should put in options to limit the amount of claim fabrication that can be done in a certain amount of time.

Basically, the game just needs more options to be good IMO. Right now, it's fun for a little bit until you become decent at it in any way, then it becomes trivial.

Hopefully its different enough that it doesn't feel just like Iberia. The main problem I have with CK3 is the everywhere feels the same.

mod for the demesne, mod for the fatality rate, mod for the plague, mod for whacking claims. etc etc. also inherichance. 6-10 mods together can make this a murderously hard game

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

mod for the demesne, mod for the fatality rate, mod for the plague, mod for whacking claims. etc etc. also inherichance. 6-10 mods together can make this a murderously hard game

Eh, I don't like the game enough to want to mod it. It's a pain updating every time they release something new, which is all the time for paradox. They took out all those features from CK2 from some reason without just making them sliders in the game options which kind of bugs me. (Well except for the disease system, that's not a slider they can add.)

The game is basically just CK2 with better graphics and court intrigue but worse everything else.

I bet it will be really fun in a few more years after a bunch more DLC comes out though, I just gotta give it enough time to change to be fun again for me.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

The hostage notification spam is so annoying I just dismiss it constantly. I don't seem to be missing anything by not engaging with the hostage system. Am I missing anything?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Guest posted:

I think these struggle mechanics could actually do a lot for making the different regions of the world play differently. It's sorta hegelian in a world-historical individual resolves a dialectic sense but who cares if it uses outmoded historiography I want more events ,pls :D

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

gurragadon posted:

The difficulty settings in CK2 were brutal, but once you got good enough playing on very hard was just necessary to have any sort of challenge at all

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
part of the premise of these games is that they operate on the historical models that people understood at the time, right? so a particularly good or bad king IS notable because that's how the people interpreted events without statistics

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
new dev diary - changes and additions to faiths and cultures in the region, new Vizier position

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Viziers sound like they could be a lot of fun. Cool idea for using the diarchy mechanics.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The hostage notification spam is so annoying I just dismiss it constantly. I don't seem to be missing anything by not engaging with the hostage system. Am I missing anything?

It has occasionally been useful for me early game as a way of keeping an annoying neighbour off me for longer than a truce would, or for a long term play of getting someone friendly to me/my heirs in a neighbour's court

Probably doesn't need the notifications though but I get it in terms of signposting for other players, same with (say) the Declare War or Marry Relatives reminder, if there was a way to consolidate it into one

in other news: yikes, only two weeks until the update? gotta hurry up finishing this run. I do like the look of viziers, though, and I always love when they actually deliver on the "you can fit SO MANY flavourful takes in here" promise of the generic new mechanics they add like struggles and diarchs.

I guess if they're Clan only I guess they won't show up in a Zoroastrian revival game which would otherwise be the perfect Legacy of Persia playthrough.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I was playing as a Jewish vassal under the Abbasid empire and had (through copious amounts of murder) finagled my way into a regency and a very favourable jizya contract. Then, I got a pop-up that some random fellow vassal had started an indenpendence faction (no mention of me) and then suddenly, I became independent (and thus fair game for everyone else in the area). What happened? I have no option to swear allegice to my former liege. I like to think that he just found me too bothersome and gave me independence to get rid of me, but a bunch of other vassals (who might have been in the faction for all I know) are also independent...