Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
FFXIV's playerbase have discovered one of the most insane little things I've ever seen in a game: A raid boss has a reaction to an emote, that references the description of a fish that was added to the game nine years ago. (Spoiler-tagging because it's a new fight, but it's not super spoiler-y.)

https://twitter.com/FSHYbeans/status/1713039301892874361

https://twitter.com/FSHYbeans/status/1713039307915829524

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Oct 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That kind of owns really, talk about gameplay-story integration!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saint's Row 4 has a flubbed line from Keith David in one of the character journals. Like it was clearly a one take situation because he mispronounces "playa" like the Spanish version and not like "player" which is what it is supposed to be.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Leaving in flubbed lines is great actually
https://youtu.be/g1Sq1Nr58hM?si=x2JAqV2PzKY2w9SW

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Can't beat Tim Curry, but this is always the "first pass" take I think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

When we find that meteor, we'll find Dr. Wahwee!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Can't beat Tim Curry, but this is always the "first pass" take I think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

When we find that meteor, we'll find Dr. Wahwee!

Lol that rules, I love the flubbed line reads too where they clearly messed up the first word in the sentence

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Didn't Daniel Southworth have a cold doing Vergil's dialogue in DMC 3 and that's why he sounds like a nerd every game?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This is cheating but you can't top Hotd

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Discovered this video on YT though I haven't played the game.

In Tales of Arise, if you get a character's casting time short enough, her voice line for casting becomes "Bla bla bla MAGIC!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uET9ANIsaYg

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Lil' Gator Game is absolutely adorable. Think the "vibes" (dialogue, etc.) of A Short Hike, mixed with a small open wilderness you can traverse with BotW mechanics (glider, stamina for climbing etc). Actually, I'm thinking this would probably be a pretty good game to use as "kiddo's first open-world exploration game"?

If you want a "little thing", there's a ragdoll button. :allears:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Read After Burning posted:

Lil' Gator Game is absolutely adorable. Think the "vibes" (dialogue, etc.) of A Short Hike, mixed with a small open wilderness you can traverse with BotW mechanics (glider, stamina for climbing etc). Actually,

So, A Short Hike vibes mixed with A Short Hike mechanics.

(Not saying this is a bad thing)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Morpheus posted:

So, A Short Hike vibes mixed with A Short Hike mechanics.

(Not saying this is a bad thing)

Ha, fair, I knew my description didn't quite sound right. :kiddo: It's not from a top-down perspective like A Short Hike is! :colbert:

Another little thing, the collectibles are all cardboard things you have to smash and it's very satisfying. Collectibles you destroy (rather than, well, collect) are some of my favorites.

Yes, I've played The Saboteur. :haw:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that in FF16, if you kill an enemy in an encounter and die, the enemy that you've killed stays dead as a micro-checkpoint. It makes some of the more ridiculous fights in Final Fantasy mode like the one in the Volcano with the two slimes (as in the standard difficulty that is the intro to the slimes so there's only one) and that one fucker where they put an Akashic Coeurl in the mines way more manageable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lil' Gator Game is absolutely adorable. Think the "vibes" (dialogue, etc.) of A Short Hike, mixed with a small open wilderness you can traverse with BotW mechanics (glider, stamina for climbing etc). Actually, I'm thinking this would probably be a pretty good game to use as "kiddo's first open-world exploration game"?

If you want a "little thing", there's a ragdoll button. :allears:

L'il Gator Game is absolutely incredible. The mechanics are great, but also the content is adorable. It's about running around a park and playing make-believe with your friends.

There's a bit where you find The Cool Kids, who are all doing the "ironically disaffected" thing and aren't interested in playing. Then they get separated from each other and you get to talk to them individually, and every single one is genuinely enthusiastic about playing, they just think that if they say that then none of their friends will like them.

There's another bit where you find the Drama Kids, who are arguing about what theme their game should be about (space, the Old West, or vampires). As part of getting them back together, you convince the gothy vampires kid that she can go out in the sun because vampires are so fast they can just dodge the sun's rays :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lil Gator Game also has a Naruto headband that you can craft and wear as a little cosmetic that makes your sprint the Naruto ninja run lmao

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Maxwell Lord posted:

Discovered this video on YT though I haven't played the game.

In Tales of Arise, if you get a character's casting time short enough, her voice line for casting becomes "Bla bla bla MAGIC!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uET9ANIsaYg

lmao this owns

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Yes, I've played The Saboteur. :haw:
Man, talk about forgotten gems. That's a game that really deserved to do better than it did. If I remember right it was released and the developing studio shut down like, the next day.

Oh, here's a little thing from The Saboteur that was great! As you liberated sections of the map, they went from being in black and white to being in color.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A rerelease of Saboteur with the climbing changed to be more like Assassins Creed, hold button instead of tapping, would be excellent.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

Oh, here's a little thing from The Saboteur that was great! As you liberated sections of the map, they went from being in black and white to being in color.

The prologue sets up the whole dynamic, where when your character gets his first glimpse of Nazi cruelty all the color drains from the world except the blood-red of the Nazi flag in the background.

There's also a mission called Deutschland Uber Phallus where a psychiatrist directs you to blow up a giant cannon to strike at their fragile masculinity.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing a cute little game on PSN called Knot, which is a series of wooden puzzles that you have to figure out how to disassemble in increasing complexity. Sometimes the textures can be a bit wonky like the pieces made of darker wood can be hard to tell apart from one another while the lighter wood is more visible with where the seams are, but a lot of the puzzles have been pretty clever, like the one that's themed around keys in a lock where you have to disassemble the lock around the keys by removing a pair of plates that allow you to get to the tumblers. Instead of using a key to align tumblers, you actually have to move the tumblers to free the plates and in turn the key.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm replaying pokémon let's go with my 3 year old, and I've come to appreciate the battle camera a lot.

There's just something joyous about the feeling of the overly dramatic battle music hitting a chord while the camera simultaneously cuts to a close up of Pikachu's dumb loving face.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

Man, talk about forgotten gems. That's a game that really deserved to do better than it did. If I remember right it was released and the developing studio shut down like, the next day.

Another little thing is that there's at least one alternate ending. Apparently if you go gently caress around in the open world instead of doing the race in the prologue, you can unlock a weapon to use during the race, and just straight up kill the Nazi instead of racing him.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zero_Grade posted:

I like the part where you can't play it on AMD video cards but they did a promo with an AMD card.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Man, The Saboteur was great. Except for the slightly embarassing note that the dancers in the Moulin Rouge analogue had pasties over their nipples unless you had the 'bought new' code to see some titties

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Alba: A Wildlife Adventure was quick but quite pleasant. Very cute that when you're moving about, Alba will occasionally swap to skipping or putting her arms out so that the walk cycle animation gets shaken up a bit.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Bogmonster posted:

Man, The Saboteur was great. Except for the slightly embarassing note that the dancers in the Moulin Rouge analogue had pasties over their nipples unless you had the 'bought new' code to see some titties

I always assumed that was just instantly modded away considering gamers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

After playing/often slogging through the Crash Bandicoot trilogy remaster, I was very happy to start the fourth game and see that it defaults to modern mode - no life counter, just free continues at checkpoints. It tracks deaths, but they're only relevant for an end-of-level gem. Plus, you can switch back to classic style lives if you're insane, so it's a win for everyone.

The older trilogy absolutely needed that as a simple option added to the remaster. There was a lot I enjoyed, especially in 2 & 3, but I would've had a much better time if I could keep pushing through the more BS levels rather than restarting from scratch every few tries.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I got bored/annoyed at AC: Odyssey so I decided to try Origins and so far it's about a thousand times more my jam. The biggest deal is that now I can god drat assassinate people in my god drat assassin's game, but one little thing that I also really like about the game is that my character has a super rad wife so not only do I not get a million "I found your family heirloom now can we have sex?" videogame romances but I'm dating a super cool lady who's apparently very turned on by stabbing people and avenging our son's death.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

CordlessPen posted:

I got bored/annoyed at AC: Odyssey so I decided to try Origins and so far it's about a thousand times more my jam. The biggest deal is that now I can god drat assassinate people in my god drat assassin's game, but one little thing that I also really like about the game is that my character has a super rad wife so not only do I not get a million "I found your family heirloom now can we have sex?" videogame romances but I'm dating a super cool lady who's apparently very turned on by stabbing people and avenging our son's death.

I just reached level 30 in this game and I'm at this point where the next quest is kind of impossible for me to accomplish (enemies are all redskull and kill me in one hit) but the amount of experience given to me by level-appropriate quests is so loving pitiful. I now see why when I started the game it encouraged me to buy their stupid XP multiplier. Fuckin gross.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Go play Mirage instead. It's back to oldschool Assassins Creed gameplay with all the fun old toys, no arbitrary "this person is Too High Level To Assassinate" nonsense.

There's only a handful of enemy types, and the only one you can't Assassinate is the top-tier "You hosed up bad and they're hunting you to kill your rear end, so RUN" guards.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go play Mirage instead. It's back to oldschool Assassins Creed gameplay with all the fun old toys, no arbitrary "this person is Too High Level To Assassinate" nonsense.

There's only a handful of enemy types, and the only one you can't Assassinate is the top-tier "You hosed up bad and they're hunting you to kill your rear end, so RUN" guards.

I was actually really hyped for Mirage 'cause I loved the old rear end Creeds but it's not on Game Pass yet and I've heard some really mixed reviews so I try and make Origins work for the moment. If (when) I get to a point where I lose interest I'll keep making my way backward through the series; eventually I'll reach Black Flag!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was just gonna ask if Mirage was actually worthwhile after all. I was looking forward to it as an eventual purchase, but I don't think I've heard anything better than extremely mixed to negative about it after it came out.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
idk, i've heard generally positive things about it and opencritic has it just under an eight out of ten. probably worth checking out if it goes on sale or hits gamepass, especially once it gets some updates under its belt

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I started playing Infamous Second Son and I really appreciate the freedom of movement the game allows as well as its strict adherence to accurately depicting the PNW evidenced by the town being almost totally overrun by trees, coffee shops, graffiti and drugs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flatluigi posted:

idk, i've heard generally positive things about it and opencritic has it just under an eight out of ten. probably worth checking out if it goes on sale or hits gamepass, especially once it gets some updates under its belt

Story-wise it's nothing special, but gameplay-wise it's been pretty good getting back to old-style AC gameplay. A solid 7-8/10 imo.

oldpainless posted:

I started playing Infamous Second Son and I really appreciate the freedom of movement the game allows as well as its strict adherence to accurately depicting the PNW evidenced by the town being almost totally overrun by trees, coffee shops, graffiti and drugs

Wait til you get the Neon powerset, and you'll immediately understand why they made a spinoff game entirely around it.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

CordlessPen posted:

Bayek and Aya are an adorable couple. I really wish we'd gotten Aya as a/the protagonist, as was originally planned. On the other hand, it's sort of refreshing to have the titular Assassin's Creed Origins play out (mostly) off-screen with Aya having adventures with Cleopatra and Brutus while Bayek is being a desert detective and friend to children all over Egypt. It's second only to Black Flag for having a protagonist who doesn't really care about the plot of the series but gets dragged into it anyway.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Yeah like, I'm nearing the end of AC: Origins and I still don't even know what the plot is. I know there's background history stuff going on, and Bayek's quest for revenge, but... this barely feels like a plot.

Also, Bayek, let's be real here. None of this would have happened if you weren't such a butterfingers with that knife.

credburn has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Oct 20, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait til you get the Neon powerset, and you'll immediately understand why they made a spinoff game entirely around it.

I loved that spin-off, great ps+ month

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m planning on doing a Syndicate run before I pick up Mirage. Hopefully the jump from an original style AC game to one that’s in the same style but much much later isn’t too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Severed Steel's .exe is named "ThankYouVeryCool.exe"