Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Our lawyers and ourpolice work hand in hand to get as many criminals convicted then overturned as possible. Our most famous lawyer even got elon to rename twitter after them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I remember a couple of short stories that kind of freaked me out, including one where someone was raised in a house where words meant the opposite, and then it was burning down, and someone asked if there was anyone in there, and they answered "no".

And another one about a guy who's neck was permanently stuck looking up, cos they lived in a hole for a long time, and the character only realises who it is at the end as they wander away in the moonlight.

Are they Paul Jennings? Do they ring any bells for anyone else?

First one definitely is Paul Jennings.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Victoria hired the bird lawyer from Futurama.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I would just say ah well rego just went up $100 for everyone hope ur happy.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I remember a couple of short stories that kind of freaked me out, including one where someone was raised in a house where words meant the opposite, and then it was burning down, and someone asked if there was anyone in there, and they answered "no".

And another one about a guy who's neck was permanently stuck looking up, cos they lived in a hole for a long time, and the character only realises who it is at the end as they wander away in the moonlight.

Yep, I recognized all of them.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

Victoria hired the bird lawyer from Futurama.

the edgy reboot for harvey birdfluman

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SecretOfSteel posted:

Got the full series of Harry Potter on my shelf and now I'm not so sure I even want it there.

Sell it to someone and donate the money to a charity that supports trans kids.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Burn the books and post it on X formerly twitter

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

First one definitely is Paul Jennings.

Ah then the second one almost certainly is too I think.

they were hosed up man!

JBP posted:

I would just say ah well rego just went up $100 for everyone hope ur happy.

sounds like we need great cycle infrastructure to facilitate realising the potential the e-bikes have to offer ASAP.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

For bonus childhood despair, the second story includes a dog.

I remember as a kid noticing that Jennings never uses exclamation marks. It really sticks out when you notice it.
"Help," I screamed, as the squid ate my shoes, sort of thing.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

I know it's not the point, but if words meant the opposite to this person, how were they able to understand the question?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder how Round the Twist holds up.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Brons spinning penis

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

I know it's not the point, but if words meant the opposite to this person, how were they able to understand the question?

I don't remember. Maybe it was only certain words? Maybe they had escaped and been partly re-educated?

What I do remember is this genuinely horrifying ambiguity, at the end of what was already a pretty horrifying story. Was probably the most I'd ever been affected by literature, or any media really, and it's interesting to hear that other people had a similar experience. He even made Bee cry this year!

what the gently caress Paul.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I don't think it was every word was opposite, I think it was more like yes and no were swapped, and maybe dark and light etc

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Maybe the people performing unethical linguistic experiments on children deserve to burn to death? :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Freaky stories for kids were all the rage in the 90s, often with shockingly dark endings.

I actually think I remember that story. And it comes off more as karma for the parents effectively making their kids unable to communicate or function in the outside world. Turns out that becomes a liability when you actually need to rely on your kids for anything!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe the people performing unethical linguistic experiments on children deserve to burn to death? :shrug:

yes I think this was the ethical question he was giving literal children to wrestle with

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
happy to let WA self govern if we retain the mineral rights

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Rock Puncher posted:

happy to let WA self govern if we retain the mineral rights

I only support WA independance if all mineral rights and land is returned to owners.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

yes I think this was the ethical question he was giving literal children to wrestle with

And it's left unclear as to whether the answer of "no" is actually the person trying to say "yes," or if they've realised their language has been backwardified and they are knowingly consigning their parent to death...
I haven't read those books in decades, why are they engraved on my brain like this.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The story is No Is Yes and I just reread it.

The point of view character is a boy, who is introduced to the girl who speaks backwards by her father, who has been experimenting on her to see if a human taught language wrong by another human can relearn it from TV (the conclusion being no, no matter how much TV watches she doesn't learn correct English).

The boy tries to arrange a midnight meeting with the girl to rescue her, but forgets that she mixes up 'tree' and 'lamp post', so the meeting never happens.

The girl is caught going back into the house by her father, who attacks her and causes her to drop her candle, which starts the fire.

The boy gets her out of the house in time, but falls unconscious from smoke inhalation. The firemen have to ask her if anyone is inside the house.

No Is Yes posted:

The fireman leaned closer. His words were urgent. 'Is your father in there, girl? Is anyone in there? The roof is about to collapse. Is anyone inside the house?'

Linda tried to make sense of his strange speech. Then a look of enlightenment swept across her face. She understood the question - that was clear. But many have wondered if she understood her own answer.

As the ambulance driver shut the door she just had time to say one word.

'No.'

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Recoome posted:

Lol Victoria didn’t get its excise up for hybrid/electric vehicles, get real lawyers Victoria smdh

lmfao this is a disaster for the states.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Why not just put a road tax on tyres? They'll wear evenly for electric and fuel vehicles. And the more you drive, the more they'll wear down. The heavier your vehicle, the more they'll wear down.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I reckon put a tax on the magnets in the engines, that's also a good idea.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Konomex posted:

Why not just put a road tax on tyres? They'll wear evenly for electric and fuel vehicles. And the more you drive, the more they'll wear down. The heavier your vehicle, the more they'll wear down.

Except they also randomly puncture and need replacement (even when new) and are already expensive so you're also massively harming people who are already having a terrible day.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i say we detonate the rabbit proof fence and let wa fend for itself

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Why don't we tax income instead?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

HazCat posted:

Apparently that story was meant for an older audience and wasn't meant to end up in a book for little kids:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-08/paul-jennings-on-his-memoir-books-and-own-troubled-childhood/12685294

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i say we detonate the rabbit proof fence and let wa fend for itself

the fence is not on the border lol

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Spookydonut posted:

the fence is not on the border lol

Yes but it does go near / through mukinbuden and the more that place explodes the better

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

HazCat posted:

yes well thank you for your diligence in tracking down and faithfully reproducing a traumatic childhood experience lol.

bee posted:

Apparently that story was meant for an older audience and wasn't meant to end up in a book for little kids:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-08/paul-jennings-on-his-memoir-books-and-own-troubled-childhood/12685294

quote:

"There aren't many things that I wish I hadn't written, but probably one of them was No Is Yes," Jennings reflected this week.

Ah, and thank you for helping it make some more sense at least.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
froglet will not be surprised by this, but i remember reading No Is Yes as a kid and loving it, and probably the first thing to make me think about things like experiences etc being very relative.

I met Paul Jennings when I was in primary school, which was really cool. Along with that Wierd Al looking guy from the Red Dot adverts yelling about the price choppers, as he was an author & illustrator too.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Konomex posted:

The set of tyres that came with our car lasted about 60,000km
To be equivalent to the Victorian EV tax that would be adding $600 to each one.... It would basically wind up being the equivalent to increasing stamp duty by $2400 since most first owners likely sell their car around the 5year mark, often before the replacement point of the OEM tyres.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Konomex posted:

Softer compound tyres aka sports tyres wear faster and usually unevenly due to suspension setups on sportier cars and probably do less damage to the road surface than hardened 100,000km bob Jane specials and truck tyres.

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

Laserface posted:

Softer compound tyres aka sports tyres wear faster and usually unevenly due to suspension setups on sportier cars and probably do less damage to the road surface than hardened 100,000km bob Jane specials and truck tyres.
Wear on the road is primarily correlated with vehicle weight. Tyre type would be a footnote.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Just make SUV, ute and truck tires cost mega bucks and tires for compact cars tax free. Done?

Business owners will claim it back off tax anyway so it will just cost shift back to the Commonwealth a lot of it. SUV owners and non-readies with utes we want to penalize anyway. It’s almost more important to incentivize people to use smaller vehicles than it is to switch to EV anyway. Carbon emissions from constantly rebuilding roads due to more and heavier vehicles are huge. Everything needs to about incentivizing small cars, public transport, walkability/cycling.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Tyres are also releasing microplastics into the environment which we have no idea of the impacts of on health.

Lol, lmao.

Also, stop loving about with means tested oooh tax on this, tax exempt on that bullshit. Poor people have to travel further to work, often have worse access to public transit, so raise taxes on the rich and invest in public transport, bing bong, loving simple. I hate this policy brain bullshit.

All flat vehicle usage taxes are in practice regressive, so just use the existing tax system.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 19, 2023

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
ban cars, mandatory busses and trams

trains are also acceptable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

ban cars, mandatory busses and trams

trains are also acceptable

Eventually yes, but we need to put the infrastructure in place first. Also make places walkable/bikeable. Also provide priority for housing to people with mobility needs to be near services and their workplaces and so on and so forth.