Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

And during my last rear end kicking I missed a 380 voidstrike staff in the store

Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Ok, how long until the patch that is in reaction to this patch that addresses issues from the previous patch, and will introduce new current patch issues that will need to be addressed in a future patch? Another two weeks?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do like that fatshark had the foresight to add dev notes to the nerfs like "Reminder: this is still a 300% buff from patch 12's version" and get ahead of the complainers.

Yeah the game was unplayable for the last 6 months

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

drrockso20 posted:

I mean we are serving under an Inquistor so Tech Heresy isn't really all that big of an issue

Though honestly I'm not really picturing these as being true Servitors, more like really low budget Skitarii, describing them as Servitors just gets across the aesthetic they'd have better

A mechanicus tech thrall of some description would also get across a similar "horrifying cyborg with large weapons" aesthetic

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Demilich posted:

I tried this in the meatgrinder and was destroying crushers in 2 hits.
Got in game and couldn't keep my toughness regent high enough to survive at all (granted the team breaking coherence didn't help).

Brunts Special is a single target beast but hordes were a huge issue. I settled on the Knife mk6 since you can just spam heavy attacks, but I don't have all the blessings to make my knife as good as it could be. Brunts Basher is effective but honestly too slow.

Ended up rage quitting after my 5th public loss. I was just too tired of poo poo going catastrophically wrong

This is the Ogryn build I have been using and it's been a lot of fun. Especially if they are nerfing bleed, might be worth a try. I'm not sure it's 100% optimized, haven't taken another pass at it recently, but I'm having a lot of fun and a lot of luck with it.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
No mention of the Resupply Allies penance being fixed, I have 3 hats waiting for me once I can finish this one.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

The Demilich posted:

Got in game and couldn't keep my toughness regent high enough to survive at all (granted the team breaking coherence didn't help).

Brunts Special is a single target beast but hordes were a huge issue. I settled on the Knife mk6 since you can just spam heavy attacks, but I don't have all the blessings to make my knife as good as it could be. Brunts Basher is effective but honestly too slow.

Ended up rage quitting after my 5th public loss. I was just too tired of poo poo going catastrophically wrong

A few things about the talent build:

The 25 toughness node at the top left is great and worth the point.

The talent "No Stopping Me!" on the left side is a very important node. You rely on a stream of heavy attacks to maintain your toughness in a lot of cases, and having those attacks interrupted can easily lead to a death spiral. "Too Stubborn to Die" above it is also good, but obviously more situational.

The charge application of bleeds from Pulverize is vastly, vastly better than the damage bonus from Trample. You can charge through a group of elites then tap each one with a heavy attack while they're on the ground, content in the knowledge that every single one will bleed to death. This will be nerfed a bit in patch 14 but will still be worthwhile.

The crit bonus from Massacre is mostly for the benefit of Gunluggers and is not great for a melee Ogryn. The raw damage bonus is mediocre and there are no synergizing talents/blessings I'm aware of. Conversely, the cooldown reduction from Bruiser is excellent. You will most frequently be using your charge against groups of elites, and getting cooldown refund when your team kills them is very useful. It also stacks with the similar psyker talent.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 18, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lassitude posted:

Vet changes look good. Pretty amazing they finally caved on making the stance highlight scab stalkers.

The AdMech doesn't really care what the Inquisition says and pissing off the only people who're really adept with advanced technology probably isn't worth having insane murder-borgs over. Mars isn't the co-equal empire with Terra that gives the aquila its two heads anymore, but they certainly insist on acting like it still.

Budget skitarii are really just skitarii. A skitarius isn't fancy or especially powerful. When the AdMech does purges of its forge worlds to control population numbers, the healthier prisoners are forcibly converted into skitarii while the less healthy into servitors. Skitarii are generally considered just as disposable by the Mechanicus as servitors.

It mostly comes down to most modern depictions of Skitarii being too clean and sleek looking to be the default level 1 look for them if they were to be added as playable(particularly when compared to the prison outfits the current Rejects start out in), there's some older art of them that does skew more towards the "slightly better Servitor" aesthetic that I think would work better for how they should look at level 1 though

Reiley posted:

Speaking of AdMech, I like the tiny little detail that everyone else speaks to you through radio crackle, but Hadron alone beams crystal clear disappointment directly into your earpiece.

Makes those moments where she isn't disappointed in you all the better

Improbable Lobster posted:

A mechanicus tech thrall of some description would also get across a similar "horrifying cyborg with large weapons" aesthetic

True

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

When the Mechanicus punishes people it tends to strip their augmetics. A hypothetical where Hadron does some asking around and gets a bunch of Mechanicus skitarii or tech priest prisoners who've had the good poo poo removed and have to earn it all back again wouldn't be so crazy. Tech priests of certain orders, e.g. the Auxilia Myrmidon, can have insane ordnance/melee capabilities especially. Tech priests by far eclipse skitarii and servitors in terms of destructive ability. A Magos Domina/Dominus can shred space marines.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
RE: AdMech - Given all the weaponry and personality that is unique to them in the tabletop, I would much rather see them get their own full standalone Darktide game than try to crowbar a servitor or skittari or explorator or whatever into my Dirty Dozen Fights Demons game.

I'd much rather they stick on theme and do more rejects and varlots of the mainline imperial flavor.

Give me a necromanda gang tough with a plasma pistol and questionable literacy to out-scumbag the one veteran voice set.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 18, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

Ok, how long until the patch that is in reaction to this patch that addresses issues from the previous patch, and will introduce new current patch issues that will need to be addressed in a future patch? Another two weeks?

are you really loving bitching about ongoing support for this game instead of them abandoning it, dead game, dead game

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

toasterwarrior posted:

are you really loving bitching about ongoing support for this game instead of them abandoning it, dead game, dead game
just waiting for the inevitable "fatshart is letting the game die" posts when they go on (well deserved, healthy, good) vacation, like what happened last year around December/January.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Maybe it's because I just don't have the right gear but ranged ogryn doesn't feel nearly as good to me as hard hitting ogryn. Point blank fire has a large cooldown and ammo is always a problem. Also lucky bullet seems pretty underwhelming so far.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Give it a week

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Maybe it's because I just don't have the right gear but ranged ogryn doesn't feel nearly as good to me as hard hitting ogryn. Point blank fire has a large cooldown and ammo is always a problem. Also lucky bullet seems pretty underwhelming so far.

Lucky bullet gives way more crits than it seems like it should, and I highly recommend you go down the middle ogryn tree to grab bruiser, which gives you 5% cooldown on the ability on elite kill. You'll often get more than half of the cooldown back in the burst of using the ability at all. I'd say straight up its the most powerful ogryn, especially if you pair a gorgonum with charmed reload on it. You'll be two or four shotting almost every special and elite and making veterans with bolters jealous of your unending tide of body gibbing fire. It's super fun. I like that shooting a bulwarks shield with the flame stacks causes them to stagger, opening them up to get shredded by you.

Ammo is the one limiting factor, but genuinely a gunlugger ogryn with gorgonum probably has the highest dps and most killing potential of any of the ogryn builds in its burst, its wild. The only thing that really slows them down is bulwarks, and lucky bullet crits will still chew through them.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 19, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
So what do we have for psyker...

Assail changes: Probably needed. I like that my long-range assassination power is boosted and a damage reduction per-shard for blindfire matters a lot less when you just dump your whole hand anyway because only half of them will hit stuff.

Smite: I kinda think its infinite use was all it had going for it. Being able to indefinitely stun a large group is good. Being able to briefly stun a large group... not so much. Will have to mess with it in-game to see if it's useful.

Brain Burst: It still needs to be much faster. Lowering the peril cost so it's more spammy doesn't really matter when your team has already killed the thing and is two rooms away by the time the charge finishes.

Staves: Looks like voidstrike took a hit and other staves got a boost? The weapon changes are spread out and my brain doesn't grok it in aggregate. Someone explain these in easy words for dumb people?

Force swords: Right in the trash. I wonder what the new melee meta weapon is now.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mailer posted:

So what do we have for psyker...

Assail changes: Probably needed. I like that my long-range assassination power is boosted and a damage reduction per-shard for blindfire matters a lot less when you just dump your whole hand anyway because only half of them will hit stuff.

Smite: I kinda think its infinite use was all it had going for it. Being able to indefinitely stun a large group is good. Being able to briefly stun a large group... not so much. Will have to mess with it in-game to see if it's useful.

Brain Burst: It still needs to be much faster. Lowering the peril cost so it's more spammy doesn't really matter when your team has already killed the thing and is two rooms away by the time the charge finishes.

Staves: Looks like voidstrike took a hit and other staves got a boost? The weapon changes are spread out and my brain doesn't grok it in aggregate. Someone explain these in easy words for dumb people?

Force swords: Right in the trash. I wonder what the new melee meta weapon is now.

Brain Rupture needed the buffs but is otherwise fine, it has a solid niche and fills a spot nicely in certain Psyker builds.

Staves didn't get touched aside from Voidstrike eating a deserved nerf, and every stave getting the melee whack special attack buffed to maybe be useful in a pinch.

Force Swords are fine still and actually got buffs to compensate the removal of Infinite Dodges, which I'm genuinely surprised it took them so long to get rid of. Not sure why they even had infinite in the first place tbh. Not like you actually ever needed them, except for crab movement and brain dead kiting of monsters.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Mailer posted:

Why? They got exactly one nerf, from infinite dodges to "only" as much as the dodgiest other weapons in the game. Infinite dodges is, like, the icing in the cake that is the Illisi; it could have 1 max dodge and still be good. And they got buffed in exchange.

My big problem with the new psyker trees, after thinking about it for a while, is that Smite is simultaneously weak, boring, and ugly as sin. At least the old surge staff looked cool and required some activity to use effectively; with Smite you just hold the button and watch your framerate die.

megane fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 19, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

Brain Rupture needed the buffs but is otherwise fine, it has a solid niche and fills a spot nicely in certain Psyker builds.

I only used it early and for the first two cheevos (the third of which will never happen) and never once did I want it instead of Assail. Maybe it's great in a perform with people doing specific things but in the pubstove anything with a name has a life expectancy of about half the charge time of a burst. It might also be overpowered in auric missions or something, but I'll never experience those so that doesn't matter much to me.

quote:

Staves didn't get touched aside from Voidstrike eating a deserved nerf, and every stave getting the melee whack special attack buffed to maybe be useful in a pinch.

Blech. I'd hoped the others maybe got buffed a little. I had a pretty decent Surge staff off the store I'd been waiting to use. Thanks for the short version, though!

quote:

Not like you actually ever needed them, except for crab movement and brain dead kiting of monsters.

Haven't tried it in-game yet but those dodges did feel pretty important soloing down a huge horde so you could pick everyone up. That's pretty much my only use case, but it does still make me wonder if that in combination with other weapon changes is going to shift the balance. That'd be great for me because I can't roll a decent Illisi to save my life.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Been trying Chorus more and it feels like its strong but without team coordination it feels hard to capitalize on, and when I try to use it in pubs it feels like I'm not accomplishing anything with it. Chastise with Redoubled Zeal is free instant health that's always there if you need it, and feels more actionable if you're grouped with a team of main characters.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I feel like an admech player character could work in the game, lore-wise. The little video that plays when you access Hadron for the first time says and shows that the weapons you buy and modify are recovered from the field, so the player character could be an initiate that is sent to help the other players "recover" more or rare weapons.

Though I do think that maybe a former arbites that was a prison guard, warden, or something could be a neat addition. It could open up some interesting soundbites and conversations between characters, I think. I'm also picturing a human-sized character wielding a riot shield in one hand and a pistol in the other would be a neat thing to try out.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
give me a squat auxiliary. space kazuuuuuuuk

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

give me a squat auxiliary. space kazuuuuuuuk

A Ironhead Prospector from Necromunda would fit right in.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Chip McFuck posted:

I feel like an admech player character could work in the game, lore-wise. The little video that plays when you access Hadron for the first time says and shows that the weapons you buy and modify are recovered from the field, so the player character could be an initiate that is sent to help the other players "recover" more or rare weapons.

Though I do think that maybe a former arbites that was a prison guard, warden, or something could be a neat addition. It could open up some interesting soundbites and conversations between characters, I think. I'm also picturing a human-sized character wielding a riot shield in one hand and a pistol in the other would be a neat thing to try out.

One of the psyker personality options was an Arbite.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
also as an aside, one of the psyker voices is livewire from ja3 so whenever i hear someone using their voice i lose my poo poo at recognizing that smartass but lovable british indian accent

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Internet Explorer posted:

This is the Ogryn build I have been using and it's been a lot of fun. Especially if they are nerfing bleed, might be worth a try. I'm not sure it's 100% optimized, haven't taken another pass at it recently, but I'm having a lot of fun and a lot of luck with it.

I'm going to love trying this just because the mk3 was my favorite Ogryn weapon

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Cousin Okri was a Votann
Was a good friend of mine
I never understood a single word he said
But I helped him a-drink his wine
And he always had some mighty fine wine

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Necromancer update for Vermintide 2 is out, among other things they're restructuring how the game stores a bunch of things which will massively shrink the game's total size from the over 100 GB it had previously reached down to a much more reasonable 58 GB(so about on par with how much space Darktide takes up), however this update is also breaking support for any version of Windows older than Windows 10(Fatshark outright says they were going to do so anyways due to Steam dropping support for older versions of Windows next year, they just did it ahead of time because some of the new graphics options the update is adding wouldn't have worked properly in them)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mailer posted:

I only used it early and for the first two cheevos (the third of which will never happen) and never once did I want it instead of Assail. Maybe it's great in a perform with people doing specific things but in the pubstove anything with a name has a life expectancy of about half the charge time of a burst. It might also be overpowered in auric missions or something, but I'll never experience those so that doesn't matter much to me.

Disclaimer, I have not tired Assail yet because Voidstrike is way too much fun and you don't actually need to use your blitz when you have a Voidstrike, but here's my thoughts:

Assail seems like the kind of thing you focus your build around, and it's primary use is ranged horde management and elite/specialist killing that isn't Carapace based. Strong, fun, and you probably bring a gun used more situationally and an ability like shield for utility.

However if I'm using say, a Purgatus staff build, I have horde management covered, hell purgatus feels solid enough right now that you can stagger chain and kill most elites or specialists as they burn to death. In this case, I'd rather have Brain Rupture over Assail for one main reason: Crushers! In pubstove a build imo needs to be able to handle nearly anything with at least a modicum of efficiency, and Crushers are a major stumbling block usually. Also, if I'm burning things all the time the free brain rupture ability modifiers helps way more since it can just happen for free on anything I do instead of needing to bring my blitz out!

That's a specific example, but one I hope it illustrates my point. I'll be trying Assail before it gets nerfed and maybe I'll change my mind, but tbh I don't think I will.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 19, 2023

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I don’t understand the Brain Burst hate. It’s designed to kill long-range targets and/or evasive specials that are difficult to hit, either because of extreme distance or because level geometry is a hindrance. You only need to maintain line of sight for a millisecond, and as soon as you see the cast bar begin to fill you’re free to take cover or move your attention to other threats. I think my personal record is a sniper 92 yards away on the water treatment map, so far away the team could barely ping it much less hit it with an aimed projectile.

When other players are killing most of the specials before you can get a BB off, great! But there are chaotic moments when a tide of in-your-face elites are already occupying all your teammates’ attention and the far-off specials are posing an uncontested threat. You can just hit the jump button to get above the sea of poxwalkers for a split second, wiggle your mouse around in the general vicinity of that Bomber, and then duck behind the crate before you get shot. Repeat for the two snipers and three gunners 40 yards away.

Ultimately it’s a question of team composition. If you always run with two players with helbore/bolter/revolver/etc, I can see how BB would seem like excessive overlap. But most teams have the opposite problem. In general, it’s better to be slightly less effective the majority of the time if it means you always have that answer to the niche situations that would otherwise wipe you.

And yeah, Crushers. Assail does nothing to them and patch 14 will buff BB’s damage against them by 41% relative to now.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 19, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

for the record I do think those BB buffs are more to keep breakpoint parity on the Crushers and Maulers which are also going to get health buffs, but maybe the buffs are enough to lower the number you need on then still.

Thankfully the buffs will mean you can one shot both gunner types again at least.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Magitek posted:

I don’t understand the Brain Burst hate.

The best case scenario is exactly as you outlined - medium to long range interdiction of problematic singular specials that cause mobility issues for the group - snipers/bombers/flamers/etc that force the group to react to fire/green fire/a hole in their head/etc on the fly which can lead to a wipe.

The reason why bb gets all the hate is that this can also be done with...a gun. "special deletion" is a role that most, if not all players should be on top of, and the charge up time does nothing for packs of specialists on higher difficulties or shock trooper settings.

I had a game yesterday where I was aggressively bb'ing to get penances done. I had a shockingly good pubbie group where we had me (psyker), two zealots, and a shield ogryn. So outside of myself, there was no overlap on ranged special deletion, so it felt really good to be the roving special cracker which the rest of the group dealt with melee hordes. Again this was shock trooper gauntlet haz 4. On haz 5, bb has tended to fall off a bit as you don't one shot everything you could on haz 4 iirc.

Emperor forbid that you have a psyker who is bb'ing trash mobs. Bad pskyers give the class a bad rap, which I suppose is on brand for psyker in 40k.

Edit: on haz 4 with 6 warp stacks I was one shotting every non-ogryn special/elite save for maulers.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Legit Businessman posted:

The best case scenario is exactly as you outlined - medium to long range interdiction of problematic singular specials that cause mobility issues for the group - snipers/bombers/flamers/etc that force the group to react to fire/green fire/a hole in their head/etc on the fly which can lead to a wipe.

The reason why bb gets all the hate is that this can also be done with...a gun. "special deletion" is a role that most, if not all players should be on top of, and the charge up time does nothing for packs of specialists on higher difficulties or shock trooper settings.

I had a game yesterday where I was aggressively bb'ing to get penances done. I had a shockingly good pubbie group where we had me (psyker), two zealots, and a shield ogryn. So outside of myself, there was no overlap on ranged special deletion, so it felt really good to be the roving special cracker which the rest of the group dealt with melee hordes. Again this was shock trooper gauntlet haz 4. On haz 5, bb has tended to fall off a bit as you don't one shot everything you could on haz 4 iirc.

Emperor forbid that you have a psyker who is bb'ing trash mobs. Bad pskyers give the class a bad rap, which I suppose is on brand for psyker in 40k.

Edit: on haz 4 with 6 warp stacks I was one shotting every non-ogryn special/elite save for maulers.

It seems like burst will be a lot better next patch, they are upping the base damage and the scaling by a pretty significant degree on top of charging it not allowing you down and generally charging faster.

Brain burst and purgatus staff combo has always been pretty legit, especially compared to zealot flamer. You have the horde clearing madness engine that is the flamethrower, without giving up your ability to pop snipers and bombers on demand. The problem on 5* was always using burst on literally anything else, since it was too slow and cludgy and required too many castings to kill ogryn, gunners, shotguns, mutants, and the like. Patch 13 gave burst a lot more legs, but it was still well behind where it needed to be for 5s. Here's hoping it make it more functional.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
One thing that really hurt brain burst was the removal of Cerebral Lacerations with the overhaul. In haz3 and below it absolutely did not matter but at 4 and presumably above it would make a difference towards how fast your team could kill big nasties.
Brain burst getting a minor increase in damage and penetration at the same time as elites get a 30-50% increase in health is not really a buff.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cerebral Lacerations had huge opportunity cost though. Moot point now.

The big hurdle for brain burst that people don't seem to clock with is that it is Okay to not kill something chunky with brain burst and someone else finishes it off. You just saved the team ammo or other resources they would have had to otherwise expend.

It sucks to have a specialist kill stolen that you obviously had covered now, especially with the Warp Charges keystone, but aside from that it's really not that big a deal. BB is good and has a strong niche, which covers gaps in builds.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
While assail does nothing against crushers, voidstrike can right now 1-2 shot crushers and trauma can just keep them knocked down, what assail could do better than brainburst is just flicking a bunch in front of you and killing a parade of specialists or gunners coming through a corridor or horde (and there are a lot that come on histg damnation), in the time it would of taken me to brainburst 1 flamer (and might not even hit the breakpoint to 1 shot them if it didn't change from prepatch) I could of flicked 10 assail knives and killed the 4 flamers and trapper coming around the corner.

And if I was using voidstrike I could of just shot that sniper 90m away with a pinpoint accurate cannonball.

All this could change next patch depending on how nerfed the knives are and how buffed bb is.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Sounds like we should bring those abilities down to be in line with brain burst.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Oh now you want balance patches?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I've changed my mind. What does it matter if players don't know what their built-up equipment does on any given patch. I love keeping my head on a swivel during Patch Frenzy Season. Who cares if players have to pore over a gigantic spreadsheet of updated combo damage values to discern what is going on with their weapon. This is a competitive multiplayer game, I want balance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

The Demilich posted:

I've got a similar build that's tweaked the build a bit for personal use and I'm having a good time with this one for Ogryn:
https://darktide.gameslantern.com/builds/9a685389-279d-43ca-99f1-20de373db909/rock-of-mages

Power Maul's really good for cleave on its heavies and I also really like the bully clubs. Cleavers are good too though you use a combo of light and heavy instead of just slamming heavies.