Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I am shocked at all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MarcusSA posted:

I am shocked at all of this.

How could these children lie to us

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
belt and road song is no shi san wu

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Belt and Road was always sold as funding projects that the dastardly World Bank and IMF would not approve of. Sometimes it helped those small countries, but most of the time it turned out there were very, very good reasons why the World Bank and IMF rejected the proposal.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Yeah it’s not a surprise. Still sad to me. Reminds me of articles about endangered species being gathered all over the world for consumption. The destination is China.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Absolutely shocked to discover that China doesn't give two shits about THE GLOBAL SOUTH.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Disgraceful that the CIA snuck in overnight to replace all the concrete in the dam with shoddy cement mix and install unstable sand beneath the port facility

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I find it just awful how the State Department secretly rewrote all the Belt and Road contracts to force the countries in The Global South to default and make China look like the bad guy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Yeah it’s not a surprise. Still sad to me. Reminds me of articles about endangered species being gathered all over the world for consumption. The destination is China.

Instead of upping my WWF donation this year I’m going to sponsor a dozen lechers to replace their rhino horn powder and tiger balls with real sildenafil.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Impossible, surely this aspiring global superpower had nothing but the purest of intentions at heart!

Honestly I think that's what grates me the most about tankies, they act like they're above it all but they're just as jingoistic as any Bush-era neocon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Legitimate question. If NATO/US completely crumbled tomorrow how quickly would China redo the scramble for Africa and Central Asia? I'm guessing it would only take as long as it would for them to get control of Taiwan and neutralize Japan and Korea military.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Legitimate question. If NATO/US completely crumbled tomorrow how quickly would China redo the scramble for Africa and Central Asia? I'm guessing it would only take as long as it would for them to get control of Taiwan and neutralize Japan and Korea military.

China would do an imperialism so fuckin' hard.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

McGavin posted:

China would do an imperialism so fuckin' hard.

When will china get bogged down in its first forever war of the 21st century?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

McGavin posted:

It's Lu Tse.

:pusheen:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

McGavin posted:

I find it just awful how the State Department secretly rewrote all the Belt and Road contracts to force the countries in The Global South to default and make China look like the bad guy.

If country goes bankrupt because it owes 10% of its external debt to China and the rest of it to other countries it probably is the U.S. state department inter alia pushing the narrative of the how it’s China’s fault, yes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the most hosed up instance so far is sri lanka, which is 52% prc foreign debt. zambia is also like 40%, pakistan 30%. they have had a continual tendency to demand uber-austerity over forgiving any debt, too. not that the imf doesnt demand that too

ecuador is 11%, yeah

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 18, 2023

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Instead of upping my WWF donation this year I’m going to sponsor a dozen lechers to replace their rhino horn powder and tiger balls with real sildenafil.

:rip: Rene Chang

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

If country goes bankrupt because it owes 10% of its external debt to China and the rest of it to other countries it probably is the U.S. state department inter alia pushing the narrative of the how it’s China’s fault, yes.

:thunk:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I have a great plan to get those debts cancelled*

1) buy up a bunch of WWII Chinese bonds that the PRC refuses to honor despite ostensibly inheriting the debts( for pennies on the million)
2) sell them to those countries
3) find a government official in Taiwan who will publicly say that as the real china they will of course honor those debts
4A) if PRC bites, the bonds get redeemed at face value
5B) lif PRC doesn't bite, the African nation will send the bonds to Taiwan and claim the debt is paid, declaring "one china, two systems, we paid back 'China'".

*by which I mean defaulted on with plausible deniablity

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
any country willing to flex paying PRC debt back to Taiwan should get a permanent security council seat

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the most hosed up instance so far is sri lanka, which is 52% prc foreign debt. zambia is also like 40%, pakistan 30%. they have had a continual tendency to demand uber-austerity over forgiving any debt, too. not that the imf doesnt demand that too

ecuador is 11%, yeah

The IMF at least seems to recognize how counterproductive its intervention in greece was and shows signs of learning it can't demand infinite cuts to services with no consequences for the victim beneficiary. The EU/Germany, which played an equal role in that disaster, well.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Gen. Ripper posted:

Impossible, surely this aspiring global superpower had nothing but the purest of intentions at heart!

Honestly I think that's what grates me the most about tankies, they act like they're above it all but they're just as jingoistic as any Bush-era neocon.

A lot of modern internet leftism makes more sense when you realize they care more about anti-Americanism vs actual Leftist tenets.

All this talk about belt and road made me think of a tweet I saw about this,

When the Imperialist west aids the global south, a lecture is told.
When China aids the global South, an airport is built. It is crumbling and no can afford to use it anyway.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

hypnophant posted:

The IMF at least seems to recognize how counterproductive its intervention in greece was and shows signs of learning it can't demand infinite cuts to services with no consequences for the victim beneficiary. The EU/Germany, which played an equal role in that disaster, well.

That whole shitshow should have led to structural reform of the EU, instead we got brexit and it was quickly memory holed.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hell it was a significant talking point in favour of brexit among well meaning centrists. 'The EU is just an enforcement body for ruthless German banks...'

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the state is the organization with the monopoly on violence. as a corollary they are all abominable credit risks. "ooh i aint gonna pay my debts. you and whose army? this army i got right here."

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the state is the organization with the monopoly on violence. as a corollary they are all abominable credit risks. "ooh i aint gonna pay my debts. you and whose army? this army i got right here."

Maybe before WW2 but now every state needs dollars to buy things so when they tell people to shove it it looks more like Argentina

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
... or sri lanka, or zambia, or pakistan....

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Nobody in Pakistan has a monopoly on violence. It’s a free and vibrant market.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just means more abominable credit risks

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Joseon is back, in crypto form!

quote:

Joseon, a unique digital dynasty weaving the past with the present, launches the first-ever cyber nation state on blockchain and invites crypto enthusiasts from all over the world to take part in amazing IEOs.

Legendary Korean dynasty back as blockchain ecosystem
Joseon, a virtual nation state rooted in the Korean history of the Middle Ages and early modern period, released a detailed whitepaper. Joseon is not a fresh construct but a reverberation from 1392 — a dynastic state known for its Confucian ethos and remarkable innovations like Hangul, the Korean written script. Joseon has reimagined itself and has been legally recognized as a sovereign cyber nation in the international realm.

Namely, the new state was officially recognized by Antigua and Barbuda, a UN member state. The legal tapestry of Joseon reveals a unique design. It is a realm not bound by geographical demarcations but by digital dominions. The essence of sovereignty here is not tethered to land - as nation-states traditionally are - but sprawls across cyberspace, a concept that is as intriguing as it is revolutionary.

It also replaces the traditional concept of citizenship by denizenship centered on a personal interest corporation called a "denizen"; it allows a synergy between physical and cyber identities, crafting a new social narrative where reputations are fungible.

Its economic system is based on the Mun cryptocurrency. Mun is the equivalent of fiat currencies in Joseon. Besides being a reliable censorship-resistant medium of exchange in Joseon, it is also an ambitious and transparent statement of Joseon's economic vision.

It is structured to fuel government operations, acknowledge the toil of officials and foster entrepreneurship. The notion of an "unbannable" cryptocurrency stemming from a sovereign entity like Joseon is a riveting notion and probably a cue for other digital dominions.

Joseon becomes first-ever globally recognized cyber nation-state

According to the Code of National Governance, the digital nation-state of Joseon recognizes all languages as its national languages and all religions as official ones.

The country was reimagined by Joseon King Andrew Lee as a digital nation without territory or borders. In this status, it was recognized by Antigua and Barbuda: the two countries inked a treaty that supports education, economic investment and other developmental initiatives and provides the basis for long-standing friendly relations.

Speaking to U.Today, representatives of the country stressed its unique legal design and state management model:
[Joseon] is a crypto safe haven in this world where you can legally engage in crypto without any risk of any kind because sovereignty is the absolute authority in this world and another sovereignty doesn't have authority over another sovereignty

Per their official statement, cryptocurrencies represent legal tender in Joseon and can be used for investments, daily payments and cross-border transactions.

Joseon's denizens can take part in FDOC and WIN token sales

As a contribution to the global crypto ecosystem, Joseon invites all of its supporters to participate in a number of unique token sales.

First, crypto enthusiasts can purchase FDOC tokens. The First Day Out Collective, or FDOC, represents a tokenized stake in the song "Rundown Spaz ft. Kanye West - First Day Out (Freestyle) Pt. 2" and a voice in its ownership direction and future business. The sale will be organized on the Latoken exchange on Oct. 16, 2023.

Also, to benefit from the success of the song "Winners Win" by Lil' Flip and D-Man The Underdog, crypto owners can purchase WIN tokens on Latoken starting from Oct. 18, 2023.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm not sure which would be more misogynistic, Joseon or crypto.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Doesn't North Korea still use that name to refer to themselves? They use the McCune-Reischauer romanization Choson instead of Joseon but it's the same name.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not sure which would be more misogynistic, Joseon or crypto.

Now you don't have to choose!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol, lmao

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

I hope this gets big enough to warrant a Folding Ideas takedown.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
A state senator from Washington State got arrested in Hong Kong yesterday because he arrived at the airport with his gun in his luggage

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

A piece on the Belt Road Initiative 10 years later. The pattern is a large loan to a small nation protected by commodities or other strings, the country's leader gets a huge kick back, the nation gets substandard infrastructure and bad terms leading to crushing debt.

https://www.euronews.com/2023/10/17/cash-corruption-crumbling-dams-thats-chinas-belt-and-road-initiative-10-years-in

the outcome is that China loses money too, for having lent to countries that never actually domestically functional enough to pay it back, and not charging more than commercial rates

which is predictably what happens when you go on an international tour to find borrowers that the Paris Club countries won't lend to (because their credit is so bad) and then lend to them

Michael Pettis is fond of pointing out that previous countries new to international lending all waded into this behaviour face-first; Japan's period of peak % share of global overseas development assistance (ODA) in the 1980s was also characterized by wanton self-serving corruption between recipient country leaders and the Japanese construction firms they paid. In the end Japan, like China is doing today, restructured those loans in a face-saving way that meant that Japanese taxpayers eventually paid for a lot of the make-work. Of course, Japan then was considerably relatively richer then than China is today. In some cases China today is not significantly richer than the country it paid off (e.g., Malaysia) in per capita terms.

It's important not to underestimate the infrastructure - in many cases the highway or port does get used, it just doesn't justify the staggering costs of megaprojects in places ill served by existing logistical links, when everything starting with electricity and piped water has to be wrought from the ground up. The megaproject itself does not have to be deployed to full capacity since a lot of the value is already delivered in merely rendering it possible. It is similar in that way to the pro-growth corruption that characterized Dengist China itself. Conversely, benefactor nations are quick to look for the next donor and have no real incentive to remain loyal for yesterday's aid, so the long-term onerousness of the debt is overstated. Current Sri Lankan-flavoured concerns mostly revolve around Chinese domestic dysfunctions holding up (short-term) rollover negotiations, where it is generally conceded that China will eat a haircut and it's only a question of which Chinese institution takes the hit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Imperialist Dog posted:

A state senator from Washington State got arrested in Hong Kong yesterday because he arrived at the airport with his gun in his luggage

lol dummy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Its honestly mindblowing for non-americans that americans so frequently just travel around on their daily lives with a gun, and even do international travel with their gun. Just an absolutely insane unhinged culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

even do international travel with their gun.

Yeah not really a thing. This guy is just a moron who forgot he had it. Very very very few Americans will actually travel with a gun but you are allowed to travel with a firearm in your checked luggage :shrug:

Also lol at TSA missing yet another gun. They have / had something like an 80% failure rate a while ago.