Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Lilli posted:

I think the idea is you equip it if you want to hold your nostalgia for zones that have a specific kind of heirlooms, but given the first four heirlooms are wildly good I cant see myself using it. Like Reaping is nice, but even getting to zone 60+ right now is a huge headache.

I think it's for full-boss killing now, since it's active removes attack and stuns and bosses don't drop heirloom stuff anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Residual Toast posted:

I think it's for full-boss killing now, since it's active removes attack and stuns and bosses don't drop heirloom stuff anymore?

Think it's this, although I think it could use a longer stun, or add wiping stuns, to be able to get into the rotation for bosses.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lilli posted:

I think the idea is you equip it if you want to hold your nostalgia for zones that have a specific kind of heirlooms, but given the first four heirlooms are wildly good I cant see myself using it. Like Reaping is nice, but even getting to zone 60+ right now is a huge headache.

Ah ok that makes some sense.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

I've been away from idlers for a minute, played them on my android mostly.

What's the go to flashy idlers these days that aren't just big melvor-esque UIs with meters filling up?

Orb of Creation is a great two or three session game where number goes up. It is the most active of an idle game I've played, the math tricks and interactions are complex. The atmosphere is top notch, really feels like I'm a wizard staring at my orb. It got an update a few months ago and the optimal orb experience is through the steam-beta which is recent compared to a lot of clickers. $5

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wait, what is topaz?

Topaz is the 5th gem that starts incrementing with the other gems once you have unlocked events. But during an actual event, topaz gain stops. So whatever topaz you have is fixed for the duration of the event.

I don’t know if you can see what you can buy if you have 0, but off the top of my head, it was a x3 of the accumulating event currency, and I think some of the bonus slots could be unlocked.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

After a couple more days with Melvor I'm digging it quite a bit now. Been grinding out Summoning along with Woodcutting/Fishing/Cooking, I like the summoning stuff and the combinations you can equip to give various bonuses. I definitely would have had no idea to even look into summoning unless I looked at the "what to level first" guide on the wiki (which is outdated like a lot of the stuff on there) but it has helped give me a bit of direction which I needed. I only wish there was some kind of a multiplayer component to it, the Township mechanic seems like it'd be a perfect template for something like a guild hall with large objectives/raids that everyone contributed towards. Just seems like a missed opportunity for the Runescape idler to not have any sort of multiplayer component.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i think it's funny that despite being a pure idle game, it takes significantly less time to accomplish stuff in melvor than in actual runescape

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Zokari posted:

i think it's funny that despite being a pure idle game, it takes significantly less time to accomplish stuff in melvor than in actual runescape

No game takes as much time to accomplish anything as Runescape.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lmao when you get to T4, don't neglect the obelisk upgrade. I've hard mode toughed it out without it. I thought obelisks were probably a building I had maxed previously and it would give me +1. I didn't realize that it was actually a new building unlock.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zotix posted:

Lmao when you get to T4, don't neglect the obelisk upgrade. I've hard mode toughed it out without it. I thought obelisks were probably a building I had maxed previously and it would give me +1. I didn't realize that it was actually a new building unlock.

... time for a reset. That could really be telegraphed better.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jabor posted:

... time for a reset. That could really be telegraphed better.

Eh not as big as that sounds its a storage multiplier it's nice, but you can finish your current run.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

I played enough Runequest to confirm this: Melvor is Runequest without the writing or movement or exploration… or the monthly fee. I like watching numbers slowly go up over time. It’s my bonsai tree I touch inbetween actual games.

This was the post that got me to grab Melvor. I think I'll put it down next week for a much longer term idle. I'm thinking to just set it to Astrology and come back to all the Stardust I'll need to buy the masteries and chip away at the township tasks. Coal was another one I was thinking about. Woodcutting would be worth it, for just one or two weeks. I don't have auto-loot from the spider so I can't autobattle idle.

I'm going to stop Ironwood completely, the lure of the coveted 24/25 goon guild was a great bit. But I'm not in it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

pixaal posted:

Eh not as big as that sounds its a storage multiplier it's nice, but you can finish your current run.

When 5k faith would have doubled my gold, to 20m and unlocked a lot of other buildings. It would have pushed me into the 80-120m for resources easily. Instead I was spending 15k faith on things like Holy Glass 11. It's actually huge.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Zotix posted:

Oh my god this explains so much. :suicide:

And here I was getting ready for the long haul to get my gold cap up to snuff without it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Zotix posted:

Uhhhhh crap I didn't even realize there was a 2nd page of upgrades.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Orvin posted:

Topaz is the 5th gem that starts incrementing with the other gems once you have unlocked events. But during an actual event, topaz gain stops. So whatever topaz you have is fixed for the duration of the event.

I don’t know if you can see what you can buy if you have 0, but off the top of my head, it was a x3 of the accumulating event currency, and I think some of the bonus slots could be unlocked.

I unlocked the event in the middle of it so I guess I just haven't triggered it to start accumulating yet. No wonder the event felt impossible to progress in.

As an aside, is there any way to turn the remaining mats into night tokens? I'm a few short of getting a pack of cards but don't have enough to try any more potion level ups.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Another fun tip, not sure if known. You can shuffle the build order of buildings for village. So if you're building something that's an hour long, and you really want a 50s building done now, you can drag and drop it in front of the longer building and it'll slot it in. It'll pick up the other building where it left off.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I unlocked the event in the middle of it so I guess I just haven't triggered it to start accumulating yet. No wonder the event felt impossible to progress in.

As an aside, is there any way to turn the remaining mats into night tokens? I'm a few short of getting a pack of cards but don't have enough to try any more potion level ups.

I didn’t have enough topaz to actually get any of the unlocks. But I can definitely see how they would have been a large boost.

As for getting more night tokens, have you cleared all the possible combinations of materials so that they don’t say “new” anymore? When you succeed at combining materials for the first time, you get night tokens, and that “new” flag goes away. So even if it doesn’t result in a potion, you still get tokens on the first success.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I got T4 unlocked but do not see an obelisk anywhere. Where exactly is it supposed to be?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Orvin posted:

I didn’t have enough topaz to actually get any of the unlocks. But I can definitely see how they would have been a large boost.

As for getting more night tokens, have you cleared all the possible combinations of materials so that they don’t say “new” anymore? When you succeed at combining materials for the first time, you get night tokens, and that “new” flag goes away. So even if it doesn’t result in a potion, you still get tokens on the first success.

Pretty sure, yeah.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Xerol posted:

I got T4 unlocked but do not see an obelisk anywhere. Where exactly is it supposed to be?

You have to buy the unlock with faith in the prestige menu.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Xerol posted:

2x gold 1.2x storage 50k gold

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You have to buy the unlock with faith in the prestige menu.

Not seeing that either. Do I have to prestige after unlocking T4 for it to show up?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Xerol posted:

Not seeing that either. Do I have to prestige after unlocking T4 for it to show up?

Check page 2.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I turned off pages, scrolled the whole list and didn't see anything.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xerol posted:

The unlock is named "Sandstone", and says "Obelisk maximum level: +1".

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

KirbyKhan posted:

This was the post that got me to grab Melvor. I think I'll put it down next week for a much longer term idle. I'm thinking to just set it to Astrology and come back to all the Stardust I'll need to buy the masteries and chip away at the township tasks. Coal was another one I was thinking about. Woodcutting would be worth it, for just one or two weeks. I don't have auto-loot from the spider so I can't autobattle idle.

A few notes: this is part of why I like adventure mode: it forces me to diversify and do something other than "set on woodcutting, vanish for a week" as skills are capped by combat skills. This encourages checking it daily to tweak whatever my setup is and so on. Like, the goal is still to get to the week wait, but hey.

Second, you can get the spider dungeon amulet surprisingly early if you're willing to stock up on a shitload of food and then manually do the dungeon a bunch of times until it drops. It's not 'easy' but it's weirdly satisfying 'active' play and the reward is the opportunity to turn master farmer into an amazing...farm. :v:

Sgt. Slaughter
Sep 3, 2008
Put in a request to ironwood guild GOONS as dsclough

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It did finally show up after I prestiged.

Re: Horde - is toxin's active skill broken? Says it's supposed to add 4.9 Qa poison but it doesn't seem to add anything more than my normal attacks do.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
In gooboo, I wish the premium crafting slots were smart enough to optimize which ore slot to apply it to automatically to maximize the craft. It's annoying to have to try out different combos to figure out which is ideal.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Xerol posted:

It did finally show up after I prestiged.

Re: Horde - is toxin's active skill broken? Says it's supposed to add 4.9 Qa poison but it doesn't seem to add anything more than my normal attacks do.

If its against bosses, they have 90% bio damage reduction.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I really dont care for the removal of ash circle from horde, corruption just gets so punishing so quickly at higher levels.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Salvor_Hardin posted:

In gooboo, I wish the premium crafting slots were smart enough to optimize which ore slot to apply it to automatically to maximize the craft. It's annoying to have to try out different combos to figure out which is ideal.

Is there something else to consider here? Seems like impurity does the most damage, so reducing that is best. Also when iron is introduced, everything goes out of whack, because having aluminum in the craft all is worse than just having copper/tin/iron, but the craft% takes a nosedive due to the impurity numbers of the single iron piece. Probably pushing the tin capacity is best for increasing craft% at my current stage.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

dipwood posted:

Is there something else to consider here? Seems like impurity does the most damage, so reducing that is best. Also when iron is introduced, everything goes out of whack, because having aluminum in the craft all is worse than just having copper/tin/iron, but the craft% takes a nosedive due to the impurity numbers of the single iron piece. Probably pushing the tin capacity is best for increasing craft% at my current stage.

I did not know you could stack the same ore across different slots. Here I thought you had to use unique ores for each slot.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lilli posted:

I really dont care for the removal of ash circle from horde, corruption just gets so punishing so quickly at higher levels.

It's not removed. It's still there, just a bit longer to get to.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

dipwood posted:

Huh, I could have sworn it wasn't always optimal to put higher order materials first if the stacks were high on the lower ones. Still wish it would just auto sort though.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

dipwood posted:

having aluminum in the craft all is worse than just having copper/tin/iron,
once you hit iron, tin is the worst and should be eliminated.

*the alloying bonus going from 3-4 is very small (25%)
*aluminum has an impurity of 0% (at high compression levels), while tin's is huge in comparison

unless you're looking to roll the dice to bypass a certain breakpoint, you really shouldn't be using tin, and should instead be stacking aluminum in your empty slots.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Virigoth posted:

Bodies are 2 bars each so double it and I'll fill it.

E: filled the 5000 to start

Done the first batch, put up an order for the total amount you need.

Sgt. Slaughter posted:

Put in a request to ironwood guild GOONS as dsclough

Got you. Have room for a few more, got a few people offline for more than a week.

Also make sure you say something in here if you applied, I have a bunch of pubbies always applying.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Crell posted:

Done the first batch, put up an order for the total amount you need.

Nice! Thanks Crell! Toss up the 9650 bars and I'll fill it. E: I filled the second 5000 order also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

crime weed posted:

once you hit iron, tin is the worst and should be eliminated.

*the alloying bonus going from 3-4 is very small (25%)
*aluminum has an impurity of 0% (at high compression levels), while tin's is huge in comparison

unless you're looking to roll the dice to bypass a certain breakpoint, you really shouldn't be using tin, and should instead be stacking aluminum in your empty slots.

I got back up to iron and you're right. Once you have 3 iron, and tin is phased out, it's pretty good. Salt is a pain though, and once you reach iron, I don't even see any salt levels anymore.