Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I liked Sam's effort in that, because of how loudly he told the biker to call him doctor cigarettes while pretending he was doing it in secret. Chain Bastard as a name was easily the best one though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm loving Sam. He's not my stand out favorite this season, but honestly outside of Susan, they're all different kinds of my favorite, and I even really really like Susan, like, a hell of a lot--she's just not as weird as the rest of them.

I also thought Doctor Cigarettes was a great nickname, specifically because of the way he sold it, like some kid who thought he was way cooler than he was. Chain Bastard was the best nickname but Doctor Cigarettes was, for me, juuust behind it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah nah I loved Doctor Cigarettes for being so obviously forced and then the obviously cheesy catchphrases just killed for me, but I also think "An elephant never forgets... to kill" is one of the funniest sentences in the english language so take my thoughts on how funny "smoking kills... weaklings" is with a grain of salt.

podcast suggests that it did so well because it just really specifically nailed greg's sense of humour, which fair cop imo, but i'm not going to argue with a call I agree with, am I?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I skipped these at the start because I thought they were from an episode I hadn't seen yet, but it seems like they're web excusive content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_sepepC0u0

I guess in lieu of releasing the contestant interviews through out the series they've done these instead.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Task one from tonight: Half way through the task, I was disappointed they weren't given a sausage maker machine like in NZ. There's a certain vicarious excitement from watching contestants playing with an unusual bit of kit, and this one in particular was a Generation Game staple for a reason. But by the end, I think I was won round - the was task a bit more rounded and interesting when the sausage-ness quality of what you made wasn't given for free. Certainly interesting how a very small change can keep it interesting. Plus we got to see Alex licking undies! Susan seems like a great partner for Alex, brings out fun reactions from him.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's really strange how, when surrounded by British people, an Australian referring to women as chicks sounds incredibly odd, while it's completely normal when it's just Australians.

Two great creative tasks this episode with wonderfully different end results. Alex reluctantly consuming food stuff is always fantastic. The team task, I thought could do with fewer mini-tasks but with more variety. I expected there to be some kind of a twist with all the 'shake hands' tasks, but they were simply filler, I guess.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Another good episode, but probably the weakest team task they have ever done, not really much room for any lateral thinking or hi jinks.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I love when the studio tasks feel like they'd be genuinely fun parlour games. This one would be a great game for a children's birthday party or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
At this point I really hope Lucy is just keeping in character, because being the most unhinged out of this bunch of contestants is quite a feat. Amazing to watch, though.

Mr Beens posted:

Another good episode, but probably the weakest team task they have ever done, not really much room for any lateral thinking or hi jinks.
Yeah, I was really hoping there would be something weird with all the handshakes - maybe they counted on the contestants opening all the tasks at once and planning out the most efficient route?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Fun episode. But I'm feeling the not-so-rare mid-season slump that often appears somewhere in episodes 4-7. Definitely not up to the standard set by episodes 1 and 2. Still good since this season had an amazing start.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That team task has the feel of something else being there in the background but either nobody finding it but it's a team task so they showed it anyway or it's going to be part of some other secret task in the future but they have to show it all for it to make sense (and obviously score it and stuff for this episode).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah the team task did feel very filler (and a little stacked in favor of the team of three), but the others were really fun.

The sausage task returning from NZ was appreciated - and here I can kind of see where the more studio-economical cut of the NZ version would have worked; I'd have loved to see more of the actual cooking process for these. The post-it art one went surprisingly well (compared to the similar task in s9 lol) and there was a lot to appreciate in the end results. I really liked the studio task too, but I'm disappointed that "sea cucumber" never came up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sue's sausage was so perfect i can only conclude that they had a legit grinder and extruder available and other people just didn't know how to use the equipment or something

also the diaper story is one of the nastiest things anyone has ever offered during a prize task

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Lucy Beaumont is, and I say this with love and admiration, a dizzy bitch.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Watching it back I think my favorite part of this one is Alex getting all passive aggressive over Julian refusing to say your time starts now until after he got colored pens.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

Lucy Beaumont is, and I say this with love and admiration, a dizzy bitch.

it's aspirational, honestly.

Never heard of Lucy before, but she has earned a big fan off this showing alone.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I feel like I'm having the opposite reaction as a lot of people in this thread. I don't find Sam to be terribly annoying, but Lucy irritates the dogshit out of me. Seems like the sort of person who could believably hang themselves while trying to tie on shoes.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
To me she seems like she'd enthusiastically recommend that I cleanse my nasal cavities using some kind of essential oil based chemical that will clearly shed the toxins that I've been accumulating. I don't think she's said anything regarding new-age alternative medicine (unless I'm forgetting something) but that's just the vibe I get from the way she composes herself and her anecdotes.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's probably based on her real personality, but it feels like a bit to me.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Oh good, not just me. She's either really like that or she's the embodiment of the 'jokes on them, I was only pretending' cartoon. Even when I'm laughing I feel bad because I'm laughing at, not with.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

eke out posted:

sue's sausage was so perfect i can only conclude that they had a legit grinder and extruder available and other people just didn't know how to use the equipment or something

also the diaper story is one of the nastiest things anyone has ever offered during a prize task

I think it's the case that she A: knows how to cook and B: picked out ingredients that would actually mash together into a sausage shape (note that she had mostly seafood which can be mixed by hand quite easily) and hold

Lucy is full on the definition of "airhead" and I think it's fine in the quantities that they have her in. It'd obviously be frustrating if one was cheering her on or on a team with one of the Sues it might end up being more frustrating, but her term has enough of a similarly weird/silly vibe that it works.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The format does make it so they can give you a good dose of someone and the editors really know their jobs. I rarely care too much about individual contestants being a bit much or boring or whatever.

Which is fortunate because that outtakes video that was 90% Lucy really showed that there is definitely an amount of Lucy that is too much Lucy. But I like her on the actual show.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 16, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phigs posted:

The format does make it so they can give you a good dose of someone and the editors really know their jobs. I rarely care too much about individual contestants being a bit much or boring or whatever.

Which is fortunate because that outtakes video that was 90% Lucy really showed that there is definitely an amount of Lucy that is too much Lucy. But I like her on the actual show.

I feel like the other contestants were kind of glazing over as she kept talking. Like they were finding the act a bit tiresome.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More Q&A with Alex. Among other things, he confirms that the secret task is real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhrIw3PmgHM

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Xelkelvos posted:

I think it's the case that she A: knows how to cook and B: picked out ingredients that would actually mash together into a sausage shape (note that she had mostly seafood which can be mixed by hand quite easily) and hold

You don't host the Bake Off for years and not pick up something.

No, wait, pretty sure Noel has learned absolutely nothing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

More Q&A with Alex. Among other things, he confirms that the secret task is real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhrIw3PmgHM

Something I am wondering about the secret task (if it is real) is I think every time he's mentioned it they've been in the same room (I'm not sure what the room is called, the one with the big Greg painting that changes each season). So I'm curious if there's something hidden in the background details there. Or I'm entirely misremembering and he has in fact mentioned it in other places.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Its the black square with the silver TM written on it, right underneath Greg's portrait. That's the secret task.

nerox
May 20, 2001
That was a great live task.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

alex's cold open bit about how he'd just discovered twitter and it's wonderful because he can follow cher made me laugh a lot, really stupid but totally hit

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Bloody hell...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbaC7Iwnjcg

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Somebody on reddit dug up Julian Clary's appearance on the show, which is just as mystifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP5DjTE1U0E

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I have a theory.

Sam and Julian (and lucy) are teamed up, chatting, Julian mentions he's been to Australia on tour for whatever reason. Sam looks this up. Sam watches the video. Sam decides to shoehorn in a prize task reference to Hey Hey Saturday no matter what to ensure we all watch the video too.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
love susan's shirt

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
As a gay, I can only wish to have the confidence, delivery and wit Julian does to put down and insult everyone through the most minor of actions. Every episode makes me love Julian more and more.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 20, 2023

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
he's a true inspiration

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Still enjoying this season immensely, but the water candle task was terrible.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The 'use a long bit of string/rope' trick is a solution to a whole bunch of tasks. I'm surprised it doesn't appear more.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it just me or is the energy in the studio fantastic this week? Everyone's having a great time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

As a gay, I can only wish to have the confidence, delivery and wit Julian does to put down and insult everyone through the most minor of actions. Every episode makes me love Julian more and more.
I keep thinking that in an alternative universe, he'd make one hell of a taskmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

anilEhilated posted:

I keep thinking that in an alternative universe, he'd make one hell of a taskmaster.

Make him host taskmaster US