Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

raggedphoto posted:

They had 1" hex tiles installed and the contractor used too big spacers between each sheet of tile so there was a bigger grout line every 12" across the entire floor.

Please don't post about my bathroom without my permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

Sash! posted:

Like a smaller, newer TV using the massive, monumental console TV as a TV stand!

Don't doxx my childhood!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jows posted:

Don't doxx my childhood!

My grandparents briefly had a small portable TV on top of a broken normal TV on top of the console TV so that grandpap could watch the Pirates games before they could get a new TV.

Of course, the TV mound was covered with a white table cloth, so no one was the wiser.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
And here I want an antique floor model radio that I would put my (somewhat modern) flat screen TV on top of. Would use both for entertainment.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Sash! posted:

My grandparents briefly had a small portable TV on top of a broken normal TV on top of the console TV so that grandpap could watch the Pirates games before they could get a new TV.

Of course, the TV mound was covered with a white table cloth, so no one was the wiser.

Now I want a tv ziggurat for my living room

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Cool Dad posted:

Now I want a tv ziggurat for my living room

The Glass Titty Twister

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

And here I want an antique floor model radio that I would put my (somewhat modern) flat screen TV on top of. Would use both for entertainment.

That type were called console TVs. I bet you could find one on Craigslist or FB Marketplace for a song.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

That type were called console TVs. I bet you could find one on Craigslist or FB Marketplace for a song.

You really can’t these days. They’re now in to vintage pricing. At least in my area, which has a ton of outdated rural farmhouse estates constantly going up for sale/auction, and you’d think there’d be a bunch of them on the market.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kid sinister posted:

Theres a whole bunch on Kijiji of varying condition and various models.

Several years ago I became infatuated with a specific model. I saw one for sale once a few years back but didn't have the money. Or rather couldn't quite justify the expense.

A couple hours drive from me theres a guy who owns an antique shop that says he has 700+ old radios in stock. He repairs and restores them, but doesn't know if he has the specific model but says I can come by and take a look if I want.

I want to but might have to wait till the spring.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

You really can’t these days. They’re now in to vintage pricing. At least in my area, which has a ton of outdated rural farmhouse estates constantly going up for sale/auction, and you’d think there’d be a bunch of them on the market.

They started to decline in numbers about 20 years ago. Most of them were destroyed in the 1990s and the ones that were held onto by the elderly or abandoned in place started to disappear around 2000-2005. By now, I think the majority of sources you'd think would still have one laying around have been depleted and even the type of home you're describing disposed of theirs a long time ago.

I suspect the current "grandma died and we have to sell the house now" giant TV is in the 600 pound 30" "flat screen" that's somehow three feet thick category.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sash! posted:

They started to decline in numbers about 20 years ago. Most of them were destroyed in the 1990s and the ones that were held onto by the elderly or abandoned in place started to disappear around 2000-2005. By now, I think the majority of sources you'd think would still have one laying around have been depleted and even the type of home you're describing disposed of theirs a long time ago.
I suspect the current "grandma died and we have to sell the house now" giant TV is in the 600 pound 30" "flat screen" that's somehow three feet thick category.
I don't know when console TVs fell from fashion, but I'm fairly sure we're running low on grandmas who owned a console, kept it, and haven't died yet.

I predict the next big problem is Trinitrons. Those suckers were/are heavy.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Theres a whole bunch on Kijiji of varying condition and various models.

Several years ago I became infatuated with a specific model. I saw one for sale once a few years back but didn't have the money. Or rather couldn't quite justify the expense.

A couple hours drive from me theres a guy who owns an antique shop that says he has 700+ old radios in stock. He repairs and restores them, but doesn't know if he has the specific model but says I can come by and take a look if I want.

I want to but might have to wait till the spring.

I have an antique radio that doesn't work but could probably be an easy repair. If northern WV is local to you, you can just have it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There was one of those huge wooden tv consoles on the curb a couple weeks ago. Never occurred to me they might be scarce. I had fun explaining to my kids that it was, in fact, a television.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sash! posted:

My uncle had a big 90s rear-projection tv where the case was actual wood for some reason instead of just a thin veneer. He left it in the basement when he moved out so it became the new owner's problem. Unfortunately, he sold the house to his mother. He said when she finally dies that thing is coming out with a chainsaw.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't know when console TVs fell from fashion, but I'm fairly sure we're running low on grandmas who owned a console, kept it, and haven't died yet.

I predict the next big problem is Trinitrons. Those suckers were/are heavy.

I suspect surviving Trinitrons might just go on to feed the market for weird video game nerds that want a decent CRT. There can't be that many left.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My great aunt had a monster size console she and her husband bought somewhere in the late 60's / early 70's. After he died she moved four states away and hauled it there and back when she returned. She died eating a snack while watching TV. The family had an auction and sold off her stuff. As the last of them drove off the console sat on the porch, waiting for whoever bought the house.

You coulda sunk a battleship if you dropped that console on it from high enough.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

My grandpa had what I remember as a gigantic front projection tv. There was a wooden box at the bottom with a diagonal hinge to protect the r, g, and b lens tubes when closed and provide the mirror when open. The screen was noticeably concave to correct for the perspective.

Looking around online it might have been a 1979 Mitsubishi MovieVision.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cat Hatter posted:

I suspect surviving Trinitrons might just go on to feed the market for weird video game nerds that want a decent CRT. There can't be that many left.

The appeal for them is they're the biggest screens you can get that take every analog input. You don't have to gently caress with upscalers or be at the mercy of the eccentricities of the emulator a rereleased anthology uses.

I settled with a 14-inch Toshiba, and that size of TV I think suits most people wanting a CRT. But people with the space and ability to get a bigass Trinitron snag them as soon as they can. It's just the nature of a hobby for retro and vintage hardware.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

First of May posted:

My grandpa had what I remember as a gigantic front projection tv. There was a wooden box at the bottom with a diagonal hinge to protect the r, g, and b lens tubes when closed and provide the mirror when open. The screen was noticeably concave to correct for the perspective.

just looked that up and i would like to report it look sick as hell

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

What's up with the kitchen speed bump :pwn:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Agrinja posted:

I have an antique radio that doesn't work but could probably be an easy repair. If northern WV is local to you, you can just have it.

Thanks fellow goon, but I'm in Canada.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Thanks fellow goon, but I'm in Canada.

FWIW I see these on Kijiji all the time, still. Not sure what model you’re looking for exactly, but it requires constant scouring. I usually save a search for thing like that and check daily.

The one I found period matches my house, and doesn’t open on top, but at the front. It’s perfect for a TV stand

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mr.belowaverage posted:

The one I found period matches my house, and doesn’t open on top, but at the front. It’s perfect for a TV stand

Dang. My cheap TV stand is bending under the weight of an LCD TV and amplifier, I'm planning on building myself a new stand next year. I'm saving this as an inspiration for what I want to make.

(I'll probably leave my record player on its own stand in another part of the room)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That's actually something I'm debating on. A console radio, or maybe go whole hog and get a record player/radio cabinet type dealie. Except I ain't got the room for too much because my pad is pretty small .

If I had a house though I'd consider a period room with some olde tymey furniture and other fixings, minus stuff like lead paint and asbestos. So obviously it wouldn't be completely correct.

E: just in case anyone was suspecting anything . I hate wearing jeans, don't care for single speed bikes or penny farthings, don't have a beard, hate craft beer think axe throwing is lame, don't wear a fedora, and don't shun mainstream things to be ironic.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 19, 2023

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

First of May posted:

We apparently have the same grandfather because mine did too. He would always yell at all the grandkids if we got too close to it

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

That's actually something I'm debating on. A console radio, or maybe go whole hog and get a record player/radio cabinet type dealie. Except I ain't got the room for too much because my pad is pretty small .

If I had a house though I'd consider a period room with some olde tymey furniture and other fixings, minus stuff like lead paint and asbestos. So obviously it wouldn't be completely correct.

E: just in case anyone was suspecting anything . I hate wearing jeans, don't care for single speed bikes or penny farthings, don't have a beard, hate craft beer think axe throwing is lame, don't wear a fedora, and don't shun mainstream things to be ironic.

Oh those are all outdated. Do you wear 70s trousers, ride an E bike, have a mustache, drink cocktails, throw darts, wear baseball caps but not for a company or team, and like mainstream things ironically?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I thought liking things ironically went out of fashion a decade ago. Are kids these days ironically liking things ironically? Is it retro?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

binge crotching posted:

We apparently have the same grandfather because mine did too. He would always yell at all the grandkids if we got too close to it
My parents wouldn't let us sit close to the TV screen because of X-rays.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My parents x-rayed my Halloween candy once, I think just because they could.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

StormDrain posted:

Oh those are all outdated. Do you wear 70s trousers, ride an E bike, have a mustache, drink cocktails, throw darts, wear baseball caps but not for a company or team, and like mainstream things ironically?

Guess I'm really behind. Also don't care for any of the things you listed. Except maybe some cocktails.

Was away for a couple days a few months ago and enjoyed the poo poo out of some various "beach inspired" cocktails.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Maybe not Crappy Construction so much as Irritating Design. Sink in the toilets in my new place of work. The sink has a trough that guides all the water to the back. I guess it works well enough since the floor isn't wet. The automatic soap dispensers don't work, as can be seen by the provided liquid soap bottles. The tap is one of those where you have to keep it pushed down to keep the water flowing, making it hard to wash both hands at the same time. The hand dryer is some Dyson Hepa model that has decent force but cuts off way too soon and won't start up again for a little bit, leaving your hands fairly wet.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 21, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

At least they put the dryer above the sink so when it blasts water off your hands it goes into the drain and not all over the floor. The only Dyson dryer that is any good is the one that's built into the tap itself for this exact reason, and when a friend worked for them he said everyone there hated the wall mounted versions as well.

Anyway, as another example, one of the main stations in London is having its main toilets refurbished. This were basically a piss dungeon due to being underground and having zero ventilation but they at least had capacity for the number of people. While they're closed there's a new set in a smaller area that was brand new. It has 8 urinals and is made from "made to look like wood" plastic panelling. It also has no ventilation.

Within a couple of months 3 of the urinals are broken, panels are falling off the wall, the place reeks and the Dyson dryers are either broken or mouldy and the floor is soaked.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Partially Crosspostin' from the home thread:

Front is not level, and you can see the gap below the enclosure is larger in the middle:

Left side tilts up towards the front:

Back is level:

Right side is somehow mostly level:

The general contractor responded to my email really drat quick that's for sure.

Bonus gas line pressure test before the gas fitter can back and found a coupling that bubbled.

The electrical work is loving immaculate though.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Eighties ZomCom posted:

The hand dryer is some Dyson Hepa model that has decent force but cuts off way too soon and won't start up again for a little bit, leaving your hands fairly wet.
I hate that design of dryer. The slanted bottom means that if you try to dry your palms under it you risk touching it with your fingers, and that's in a room where people poo poo and piss all the time and some neglect to wash their hands before drying them so It's filthy, so I have to wash the hand again when it happens.

I also hate the ones where you stick your hands into a semi-enclosed area for the same reason. They always stink of piss and I flat out refuse to use them. I'll just let my hands dry in the air outside thank you very much.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:eyepop:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pickled Tink posted:

I hate that design of dryer. The slanted bottom means that if you try to dry your palms under it you risk touching it with your fingers, and that's in a room where people poo poo and piss all the time and some neglect to wash their hands before drying them so It's filthy, so I have to wash the hand again when it happens.

I also hate the ones where you stick your hands into a semi-enclosed area for the same reason. They always stink of piss and I flat out refuse to use them. I'll just let my hands dry in the air outside thank you very much.

It sorta blows out on the sides, so you're either meant to hold each hand awkwardly on either side, or it's meant for two people to dry their hands at once, except that both sides activate at once and cuts off after a very short time so I guess you're meant to time it with another person or risk not getting your hands dry at all.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What if we dried our hands together in the office bathroom haha... Omg but what if

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

VelociBacon posted:

What if we dried our hands together in the office bathroom haha... Omg but what if

Are you perchance wondering what it smells like just for laughs haha?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Right side is somehow mostly level:

What kind of generator needs Ethernet?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh it doesn't need it to run, but it does allow you to get emergency warnings if any engine or power parameters are going outside of normal operating ranges. I want to know about trouble before the thing completely shuts down and I don't want to have to repeatedly go open the running unit up to check on parameters one by one using the small digital display.

It also lets you easily set the exercise cycle type and time, and get a notification if the generator kicks on in response to an outage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

kid sinister posted:

What kind of generator needs Ethernet?

everything. everything is IOT now. whether it needs it or not *thousand yard stare*

EDIT:

Gensets are actually a good thing to have web based monitoring on though.

I said MONITORING, not control you shits.

MRC48B fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 21, 2023