Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I just count them center-to-center as if you are plotting a movement and it seems to work fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bloody Pom posted:

Is there a way to get Megamek to display hex outlines/borders for level terrain? It might help with readability and determining ranges in future.

As far as I know I can only make the hex borders thicker where they border an elevation change. I'll have a poke around in the client settings tomorrow to see if I can do it for every hex.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
If anyone goes to KO the a$$ with a DFA, they should totally yell Kool Aid Man style while they do so.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

If the GRF shuts down, whoever had the most leg armor should DFA him. No one else should shoot or punch, just watch the show for maximum humiliation regardless if it lands or fails.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I've had a look through MegaMek's client settings and can't find any way to make the hex borders thicker. The only option it gives me is to thicken the borders adjacent to elevation changes, which I already knew about (and haven't been using since isometric mode makes it redundant). I've even tried changing the tilesets, but all of them seem to have the same soft borders as the default.

I think part of the issue is the dirt theme this particular map uses, since the darker colours make the faint borders more difficult to see. The next mission's map has a snow theme and the lines are much more visible against the white backdrop.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 12

The Fusilier Commando crumpled bonelessly as Charles’s PPC punched a massive hole through its chest cavity. The mech disintegrated as it fell, spilling its metal guts across the sandy soil. There was no recovering from a shot like that. In a real battle, the damage would have broken the Commando’s spine and ruined the mech’s chassis beyond recovery. As Charles’s own Gladiator proved, a battlemech could endure a tremendous amount of damage and neglect and still be refurbished, but once the internal skeleton lost its integrity that was it.

“Scratch one giant metal baby!” Charles announced cheerfully. “Bloody good shot, if I do say so myself.”

“Finally,” Alexander sighed. “I was starting to think that thing would never die. How’s our royal brat doing? I don’t have visual on him.”

“Jumped across the riverbed. I gave him a good kicking, and now it looks like he’s trying to make a run for it. He won’t get far – he’s overheated his mech so much it’s literally steaming.”

“So what’s the plan? I’m up for a good old-fashioned curb-stomp, personally. That is, if I can get there in time. God drat, I want to punt that little poo poo at least once.”

Jenna chuckled wickedly. “Don’t worry, Alex. I have a strong suspicion that the young lord’s ejection system is about to suffer an unfortunate malfunction. There’s no need to rush. Etienne Decimis isn’t going anywhere until we’re through with him.”

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 12: Hits Centre Torso! Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) takes 10 damage to Centre Torso, 0/8 Structure remaining. Centre Torso Destroyed! Mech Destroyed!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 12, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 12: Hits Head! Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Head, 1/6 Armour remaining. Pilot Hit!
-Fires SRM-6 at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 10, rolls 9: Misses!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires PPC at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!

Physical attacks for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Kicks Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 12: Hits Right Leg! Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) takes 11 damage to Right Leg, 0/18 Armour, 10/13 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
-Critical Chance in Right Leg! No Critical Hits sustained.

Physical attacks for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Kicks Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 13 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 19 heat, sinks 18 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 3 heat.

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 15 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 14 heat. Overheating!

Piloting checks for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
Missed a Kick: needs 5, rolls 6; Succeeds!
Was Kicked: needs 5, rolls 5; Succeeds!

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) is overheating! Must roll a 4+ to avoid automatic shutdown! Rolls a 6: Succeeds!

--

Pilot Cosette Delacroix must roll a 5+ to wake up. Rolls a 6: Succeeds! (Not that it matters much :v:)

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat the First Decimis Fusiliers (5/6)

Secondary Objectives:
-Humiliate Etienne Decimis (100,000 C-Bill reward)

Next Orders Due: Saturday 21st 9:00PM GMT.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok

How do I shove him into the mud? Guessing I need to be at 2316?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy posted:

Ok

How do I shove him into the mud? Guessing I need to be at 2316?

You would have to be in 2315 facing 2316 and not fire any arm-mounted weapons during the shooting phase.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok in that case I think I'll jump to 2315 and attempt to push him into the mud

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Ok in that case I think I'll jump to 2315 and attempt to push him into the mud

I think jumping makes it harder for you. I think you can walk there with 5MP and torso twist to push. I can't recall if that's allowed though so have someone check. Either way, if your movement makes the to-hit harder, walk or run there instead.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well done to Armando Pasquier for basically completing his objective. He wasn't the last one up, but the last one realistically. Good job lil' buddy!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not sure what would be funnier. Stomping him into the dirt, or goading him into spiking his Griffin's heat so high that the LRMs cook off.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

I think jumping makes it harder for you. I think you can walk there with 5MP and torso twist to push. I can't recall if that's allowed though so have someone check. Either way, if your movement makes the to-hit harder, walk or run there instead.

To push an enemy mech it has to be in the hex directly in front of you, so torso twisting won't help. To push the Griffin it is necessary to either jump or run to 2315 and end the Wolverine's movement facing south.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hmm. If everyone else closes on the Griffin at the same rate, that leaves me as the only one outside his PPC's minimum range. Considering more than half my mech is in danger of losing something important if it hits, I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: I'm stupid, I forgot to take into account his heat scale. Even inside his optimal range he'd need an 11 to hit me right now. I'll take those odds. Moving to 2119 and taking some shots.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 18, 2023

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Can someone DFA him into the mud while wielding a cactus?

Actually scratch that if he learns any humility that would make for an incredible bar story, save that for someone who deserves a cool story.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Can someone DFA him into the mud while wielding a cactus?

Actually scratch that if he learns any humility that would make for an incredible bar story, save that for someone who deserves a cool story.

If he manages to pull his head out of his rear end and become a good leader he'll deserve to drink on that story.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Gladiator

Moving to 2216 and letting the Griffin have it.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Objective: Rationalize imminent defeat :allears:

e: his jump puts him at 19 heat, sinking 12, so if he fires the LRM he's still pretty toasty and if he fires the PPC he's even more screwed, so it is an excellent time to get in position to push him around/kick him after he falls in the mud

biosterous fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 18, 2023

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I have a jump range of 3 in my Shadow Hawk, so it might be best if I run to 2310 and shoot from there, and then jump across on the next turn, if that's possible.

Are aimed shots a thing? Is it possible to shoot him in the legs?

I'm assuming that at our current skill level, it isn't really possible.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

painedforever posted:

Are aimed shots a thing? Is it possible to shoot him in the legs?

I'm assuming that at our current skill level, it isn't really possible.

There are two cases where targeting individual sections is possible. The first is when the enemy is completely immobilised (mech shut down, vehicle immobilised, etc). The second is when the attacker's mech is equipped with a Targeting Computer, which are currently LosTec.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Aimed shots at you all's skill level is pretty much not gonna happen. That's like "ok start thinking about this at gunnery 2 with favorable conditions/tarcomps" iirc there's also an "aim high/aim low" but it's been too long since I've seen that used to remember the actual rules for it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Jeez, finally managed to catch up from the beginning.

My vote is to shove him into the mud, and or let him cook himself to death. Not even being worth shooting is absolutely the best thing.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

Iirc there's also an "aim high/aim low" but it's been too long since I've seen that used to remember the actual rules for it.

There's an optional TacOps rule that lets you aim high, low, left or right, but you take a +3 accuracy penalty and even if you succeed it just rolls the attack on a slightly more limited table, so there's still a good chance you won't hit what you were aiming for.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think I can only make it to 2119, so that's where I'm going.

If we don't get him this time, I'll jump over and we can pile on him.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

painedforever posted:

I think I can only make it to 2119, so that's where I'm going.

If we don't get him this time, I'll jump over and we can pile on him.

That's where I'm already headed.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'll extend the deadline until I wake up tomorrow morning. If there's still a clash I'll flip a coin to see who stops short.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sorry, that's on me, I think.

I've fixed up my orders to jump to 1918 instead.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 13

Etienne Decimis’s heart squirmed against his ribs as he desperately manoeuvred his Griffin to face the onrushing mercenary battlemechs. The sound of his own ragged breathing filled his ears, rising and falling like waves pounding against a sandy shore. Each breath sucked another load of overheated air down into his lungs, drying his mouth and throat to the point where his tongue felt like a thick piece of sandpaper. Paradoxically, his vision swam, and no matter how hard he blinked he couldn’t seem to get the moisture out of his eyes.

“gently caress!” Etienne gasped as the mercs opened fire. “gently caress, gently caress, fuuuck!” It wasn’t supposed to be this way! This was meant to be his moment of triumph! The moment when he finally met his grandfather’s lofty expectations and proved his qualities as a mechwarrior and a leader! These mercs were gutter trash, a green company with no pedigree or renown! So why? Why were they beating him so badly?!

Etienne snarled as the mercenary Trebuchet unleashed its missiles against him. That one’s armour hung in strips, and its pilot had insulted him more than most. He knew that his Griffin was badly overheating and that he should let his coolant circulate, but he simply couldn’t let the man’s mockery slide. He triggered his PPC’s firing circuit, but fear and panic made his fingers clumsy, and the shot burned a line into the ground in front of the Trebuchet instead.

A groan escaped Etienne’s lips as a fresh wave of heat flooded his pod. Sweat soaked into his clothes and the padded lining of his neurohelmet. Emergency shutdown warnings flickered across his primary viewscreen, but before he could do anything about them a heavy impact slammed into the back of his Griffin.

“Time for your mud bath, your lordship!” A mocking female voice laughed over the comms.

“The hell?!” Etienne stammered as his mech pitched forwards. When had that Wolverine managed to get behind him? He strained in his command couch, wrenching his back as he tried to stop his mech from tumbling down into the riverbed.

It was a wasted effort. Etienne had too much momentum, and his Griffin squelched down into one of the many muddy trenches where water had once flowed. The patch his mech stumbled into was particularly soft and gooey, and while he managed to keep his balance, the mud fountained upwards as his mech’s weight displaced it, coating him in a thick layer of filth.

“How dare you, you…” Etienne spluttered, but before he could enunciate any further his pod suddenly darkened. His secondary viewscreens winked out, and most of the lights on his control panel dimmed. The only thing that stayed lit was his primary viewscreen, where a message in bold red letters stated ‘[EXCESSIVE HEAT PROTOCOLS ENGAGED. PLEASE STANDBY.]’

“No…” Etienne whispered, horror replacing the panic flooding his veins. He had been so busy trying to keep his balance that he hadn’t been able to hit the shutdown override button. “No, no, no!” he cried, wrenching at his controls as if he could shake the Griffin awake. Deep down, though, he knew it was pointless. His mech’s engine had been forcibly switched to low-power mode, and would not restart until at least one cooling cycle had been completed.

Despair filled Etienne as he realised what that meant. He was a sitting duck, a prize pig that had just been led to the slaughterhouse – no, that had led itself to the slaughterhouse. All he could do now was wait for the mercs to walk up and butcher him.

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 11: Hits Left Arm! Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Left Arm, 9/14 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-6 at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires LRM-5 at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 13, rolls 10: Automatic Miss!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 10: Misses!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires PPC at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 11, rolls 10: Misses!

Physical attacks for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Kicks Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!

Physical attacks for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Pushes Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 10: Succeeds! Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) is displaced into Hex 2317!

--

Physical attacks for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Punches Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) with Left Arm; needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 15 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 3 heat, sinks 6 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 15 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 17 heat. Overheating!

Piloting checks for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
Missed a Kick: needs 5, rolls 10; Succeeds!

Piloting checks for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
Was Pushed: needs 6, rolls 9; Succeeds!

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) is overheating! Must roll a 4+ to avoid automatic shutdown! Rolls a 3: Fails! Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) shuts down due to excessive heat!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat the First Decimis Fusiliers (5/6)

Secondary Objectives:
-Humiliate Etienne Decimis (100,000 C-Bill reward)

Next Orders Due: We’re in the endgame for this mission, so I’ll be updating as soon as I receive orders from everyone from this turn onwards.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:unsmigghh:

Gonna stroll forward and get to stomping, I think.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 22, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao :yeshaha:

Gonna finish the mission with a tidy zero heat level

Can I kick and punch at the same time?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy posted:

Can I kick and punch at the same time?

You have to pick one or the other, I'm afraid.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Furthest I can jump is 2217. So that's where I'm heading.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scintilla posted:

You have to pick one or the other, I'm afraid.

Guess I'll be stomping a mudhole like stone cold mech austin

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Even though the Griffin's shut down, it managed to avoid falling over. Which means any kicks from you two will roll on the punch table if you stand still, and should guarantee a knockdown next turn.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 22, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

What a thing of beauty this is. :allears: I suspect the bonus is on.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Note that since he is shut down, you all CAN take aimed shots now. If you'd like to pull a scene like the black knight in Monty Python, for instance.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Bloody Pom posted:

Even though the Griffin's shut down, it managed to avoid falling over. Which means any kicks from you two will roll on the punch table if you stand still, and should guarantee a knockdown next turn.

Indeed. If you're intent on physically beating him to death, three 'Mechs can easily park themselves on the ridge above him for kicks and the fourth can stand on his level for some good old fisticuffs. Just need the ones up top to scootch over a hex so the third can take one of their spots.

By the way, does the Immobile bonus for the enemy being shut down also apply to melee attacks?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It would have been so much more poetic if he'd fallen into the mud :allears:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Space Kablooey posted:

It would have been so much more poetic if he'd fallen into the mud :allears:

Don't worry, if we land a kick, that'll be a PSR he'll have to make, and you always auto-fail Pilot Skill Rolls when you're shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Rorahusky posted:

By the way, does the Immobile bonus for the enemy being shut down also apply to melee attacks?

It does indeed. The bonus also has the same value of -4.