Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

I hope the game has DLSS and does not put too much performance critical crap to e-cores.

I wonder if DLSS would work well on this, there's a lot of important information that's quite small, like road markings, that DLSS could end up loving with badly. You don't focus on things like that in a normal game the way you would in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vahakyla posted:

I find it deeply hilarious that some goons will make their stand 43 American dollars, despite the game being something they've waited for. I don't really know what is being shown by this, or to who, by waiting to buy it but saying you buy it eventually. Like basic math tells me that if you spend the same money now or then, you get more value by having it earlier?

Buy the drat game. It'll run fine. And it'll look great going forward when your computers get better.

I find it even funnier that there's apparently goons out there who give a poo poo about how someone else is playing a game. Many of us have gamepass because we play games on gamepass and this happens to be a game coming to game pass so why the gently caress not try it there first? It's not like it's unheard of that a game I've looked forward to is enough of a mess at launch that I want to play it but not buy it at launch. Payday 3 is a pretty good example of a game I've patiently waited for like 6 years to play but decided to not preorder and wait to play it on gamepass and boy was that a smart move because that game is currently a bit of a mess.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm just gonna jack down the graphics settings.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's zero percent chance I'm not gonna buy this eventually even if I need to wait for an upgrade to my computer to play it so whatever.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'll buy based almost entirely on what this thread thinks of the game.

It's a lot of pressure for you guys, but I know you can deliver.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if DLSS would work well on this, there's a lot of important information that's quite small, like road markings, that DLSS could end up loving with badly. You don't focus on things like that in a normal game the way you would in this.

Antialiasing will mess them up worse. So dlss makes the game look better in every case basically.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Im going to be getting this. I bought my PC a few months ago and purchased an RTX 3060TI 12GB. The recommended specs labeled 10GB so I think I should be ok. I know my processor is overkill -- When I do get this I can provide feedback on settings. I do know that the PC I have at home eats up anything I throw at it on 1440p. 4k drops down to the mid 40s on a lot of games released lately. Switching to 4k to 1080p I really dont see a difference personally.

This laptop I have has a 4070 in it so I can try it on here as well.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Katamari Democracy posted:

Im going to be getting this. I bought my PC a few months ago and purchased an RTX 3060TI 12GB. The recommended specs labeled 10GB so I think I should be ok. I know my processor is overkill -- When I do get this I can provide feedback on settings. I do know that the PC I have at home eats up anything I throw at it on 1440p. 4k drops down to the mid 40s on a lot of games released lately. Switching to 4k to 1080p I really dont see a difference personally.

I wonder if they'll have difference. The mobile 4070 is very close to the desktop 3060TI in power: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-4070-Laptop-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti/m2033663vs4090

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Katamari Democracy posted:

I'll be interested in your trip report, I'm just below the 'recommended' specs (5600X/3060 12gb here) so hearing from anyone close to me would be nice. But I also don't play games in 4k which will likely help a lot.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Running CS2 at 20-30 FPS on a GPU+CPU that exceeds the recommended requirements is just CO staying true to the original game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They realise they stirred up a bit of a kerfuffle with the mod stuff so so they've got a second FAQ about the move to PDXmods platform and also a little behind the scenes talk about modding in CS2 that doesn't really say much.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Count Roland posted:

I'll buy based almost entirely on what this thread thinks of the game.

It's a lot of pressure for you guys, but I know you can deliver.

it's poo poo. trashfire.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What I'm actually more interested in regarding mods is if the game will store the list of active mods per saved game, so I don't have to keep track of what mods I'm using for one city or the other. Of course it will need a feature to add/remove active mods from a running game, but the advantages to having per-save mod lists is enormous. (Then, if you share your city with someone else, they'd also receive the list of required mods along with it!)

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

The prerelease coverage for Simcity 2013 was pretty positive and then shock as release day came around and the whole thing exploded like the Hindenburg. The awe came in the following days as it became clear just how fundamentally broken and lovely the game was at its core even without all the always online bullshit. That was the last game I preordered.

Until now. Sorry guys, I just preordered this one and as a result have probably condemned it to utterly fail and dethrone the previous King poo poo of Turd Mountain: Simcity 2013.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Fabulousity posted:

The prerelease coverage for Simcity 2013 was pretty positive and then shock as release day came around and the whole thing exploded like the Hindenburg. The awe came in the following days as it became clear just how fundamentally broken and lovely the game was at its core even without all the always online bullshit. That was the last game I preordered.

Until now. Sorry guys, I just preordered this one and as a result have probably condemned it to utterly fail and dethrone the previous King poo poo of Turd Mountain: Simcity 2013.

:negative:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The only reason I haven't brought up the glowing prerelease hype around SimShitty is I don't want to jinx CS2

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We've seen so much of the game I'm confident it's not going to be a disaster. Like at this point I can't even picture what could be a surprise about it. Especially since the embargo is over tomorrow and the Youtubers are going to be able to tell/show us everything.

It'll need work and mods to be the game I personally want to play, but realistically I knew that all along.

I like that they're planning to modify the editor based on feedback. I hope modders are going to be able to get into a lot of stuff that was locked down and untouchable in CS1.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

the problems there definitely started cropping up well before the release. people were wary of the agent system but I think what really killed it was the super super small game area size. CS2 hasn't had anything that red flaggy, also we've seen actual people play the actual game which was another big warning with SC2013

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I don't care if they move mods to their own platform, just need to make it so that the mods don't keep breaking with every update or at least offer some kind of version lock.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Fabulousity posted:

I got to play SC2013 a few months before release (and might've even streamed it during a Child's Play charity event, don't remember 100%) and gave my contact at Maxis a bunch of feedback about the issues the game had (poop agents, etc.).

None of it changed between then and release. CO making changes to the game based on pre-release feedback is a good sign.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm going to be really interested in the City Planner Plays tests over different builds. My machine is pretty sweet other than having a 1070 in it, and I'd like to know how much of a drag that's gonna be.

Alternatively I'll just play it for an hour and refund the fucker if it runs like poo poo

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
CS2 pre-load is up on Game Pass. Wait, why does it need a preload?

58.2GB...well ok, yeah. You might want to preload that. I guess 40GB of that are textures that are only visible when you use the cinematic camera.

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 19, 2023

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Trailer is out too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vlKoMi4Qr0

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

looks good but also lol at the captured-in-game-footage stuttering in the trailer

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It seems like the review embargo has lifted, and mostly folks are having problems with it being a bit of a step back from fully fledged CS1

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

There are a bunch of streams going up. I tuned into Biffa's stream for a bit and its kind of concerning he is running a 4090 @ 1440p with mostly medium settings and isn't able to get a solid 60 FPS.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mfcrocker posted:

It seems like the review embargo has lifted, and mostly folks are having problems with it being a bit of a step back from fully fledged CS1

is it actually a big step back or are people upset that cities skylines 2 is a game and not a modeling program

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

There are a bunch of streams going up. I tuned into Biffa's stream for a bit and its kind of concerning he is running a 4090 @ 1440p with mostly medium settings and isn't able to get a solid 60 FPS.

is he using DLSS? the files for it are apparently being distributed alongside the game but I don't know if it's actually available/fully implemented. CS2 is pretty much the ideal game for frame generation stuff as well.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 19, 2023

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

turn off the TV posted:

is it actually a big step back or are people upset that cities skylines 2 is a game and not a modeling program

is he using DLSS? the files for it are apparently being distributed alongside the game but I don't know if it's actually available/fully implemented. CS2 is pretty much the ideal game for frame generation stuff as well.

He was using TAA not sure if DLSS is available or not. He only briefly looked at the settings.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

CPP is having the same issues on the same setup on high, and that's with the Volumetrics and Depth of Field disabled (which was apparently recommended by CO) and was around 30FPS. It seems like weather is pretty brutal and overall performance is rough as expected.

He's just said that he has a video coming out on Saturday about it in detail but it'll run on most stuff (with settings teeaks), but expect to go a level of graphics down from where you usually do (eg if you usually expect 4k@60fps, expect 1440p@60 etc).

It's a hard GPU bottleneck, mainly around VRAM

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The editing, sound, pacing-- pretty much everything about this trailer is really weird and off-putting. I keep expecting it to end but also to finally start.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds like it's just not going to be an option for me to buy then, unfortunate but hey, hopefully if/when I get a new computer it will be a nice thing to buy on the cheap.

I don't really fault them for making a game that requires a lot of computer to run but I do wonder how much it will hit the sales if most people just can't play it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I do also wonder if these people reporting the performance issues are using/have compared with how it is with DLSS. It's obviously not good if a game needs DLSS to run at a respectable fps but I think a lot of people assume using DLSS is already admitting fault of the game for not being properly optimized. If people are having issues running the game at 1440p above medium settings with DLSS on then yeah we might be heading to trouble town.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

explosivo posted:

I do also wonder if these people reporting the performance issues are using/have compared with how it is with DLSS. It's obviously not good if a game needs DLSS to run at a respectable fps but I think a lot of people assume using DLSS is already admitting fault of the game for not being properly optimized. If people are having issues running the game at 1440p above medium settings with DLSS on then yeah we might be heading to trouble town.

DLSS does not seem to actually be implemented and there's apparently a bug where the game launches at your desktop's resolution and not the one you have it set to so people with 4k monitors saying that the game runs bad at 1440p are actually running it at 4k

but on the very bright side the game seems to be almost completely GPU bottlenecked so they may not have been lying about the simulation running better

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Most likely it's GPU bottlenecked so hard because a lot of the calcs are being run on it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

turn off the TV posted:

DLSS does not seem to actually be implemented and there's apparently a bug where the game launches at your desktop's resolution and not the one you have it set to so people with 4k monitors saying that the game runs bad at 1440p are actually running it at 4k

Huh. Well that ain't good.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I don’t mind the performance issues but having trouble with terrain and the horror stories of cities looking terrible because the sequel can’t handle raises in terrain, like the first game, is giving me a pause on getting it more than performance. Maybe it’s just a couple reviewers that had that problem, but that worries me more.

Lord Packinham fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 19, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
PC Gamer has a review done, mentions some performance problems as well, including freezes on some building placement, and seems to be on a beefy machine, too?

I am probably gonna be OK since I have decent machine and 1080p, but it's a bit worrisome.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I read a few reviews and I think im comfortable buying it at at the asking price. I personally really wanted the game to be more of a simulator so that sounds great to me.

Although I am absolutely gonna wait a few days for the thread to guide my hand, too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShEQp_VKD1I

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Oof