Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Beachcomber posted:

You should have one credit card and just pay it off every month. You may need a good credit rating someday.

I finally just did this a couple of years ago (age 32?) because paying off my student loans in full tanked my credit. Now I just have one that I auto-charge Disney+ to and never use otherwise. No judgment on people who need them, I've just been fortunate enough and careful enough with money to never need one. I definitely never wanted one.

I'm with you, Ccs. Credit cards are a racket that you shouldn't be punished for not using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Das Boo posted:

I finally just did this a couple of years ago (age 32?) because paying off my student loans in full tanked my credit. Now I just have one that I auto-charge Disney+ to and never use otherwise. No judgment on people who need them, I've just been fortunate enough and careful enough with money to never need one. I definitely never wanted one.

I'm with you, Ccs. Credit cards are a racket that you shouldn't be punished for not using.

Same happened to my dad, but it was paying off the last few payments in full. Didn't tank it, but it did cause a big dent. Can't recall why this is though.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

doomrider7 posted:

Same happened to my dad, but it was paying off the last few payments in full. Didn't tank it, but it did cause a big dent. Can't recall why this is though.

Your credit score is made up in part by the number of credit lines you have open and the age of those credit lines (if you have lots of people who are willing to give you credit and they've maintained that credit with you for a long time, you are more likely to be a good borrower). When you completely pay off your student loans, you'll lose some quantity of open credit lines, but more importantly, the average age of your open credit lines will likely way go down, as besides a home mortgage, there are few things you pay off over a long period of time more than student loans.

Credit isn't scary unless you don't have any self control/financial literacy, just pay them off in full every month, don't buy more than you can afford, don't carry a balance, etc.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Sure, but if you do those thing normally you shouldn't need to establish a credit line anyway because you don't need to borrow to begin with. You'd think things like a history of paying your regular-rear end bills on time, never having filed for bankruptcy, or not being thousands of dollars in debt all the time might speak for your longterm financial reliability, but nah. None of that counts.

All I wanna do is pay for things when I get them and not have to "borrow" money through a third party to pay it 15 days or whatever later instead. Being supremely forgetful has instilled the need to handle that poo poo right the gently caress now. (And yes, I enroll in autopay where available.)

I'm getting off-topic here, sorry. I can vaguely tell you there's a sort of greenlight freeze at WB for the dumbest reason I ever heard right now, but not sure how much I can say on it. Don't expect any renewals for at least six months, I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beachcomber posted:

You should have one credit card and just pay it off every month. You may need a good credit rating someday.
I took out a small loan a few years back and just have automatic payment on it at a decent interest rate and it made my credit rating go through the roof, and then I became co-owner of my mom's house(it's way easier this way, get my name on the deed so when she passes I just become the owner, no inheritance shenanigans) and so paying the mortgage helps that too. I've never had a credit card, and never will because of what happened to my mom. she had her identity stolen and due to how it happened didn't know about it for a week, so the card companies just were like "no gently caress you, pay me in full" rather than recognize the identity theft and she had to file for bankruptcy to get out of it. gently caress'em, the vultures, I think protections against that sort of thing have dramatically improved since that happened at the turn of the millenium, but still, I won't trust them after what she went through

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Paying off loans in full kill your credit score???

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
sometimes im glad im broke as poo poo and will never have to worry about a mortgage, ahahahahaHAHAHAHAsob

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

World Famous W posted:

sometimes im glad im broke as poo poo and will never have to worry about a mortgage, ahahahahaHAHAHAHAsob
yeah I never would have possibly been able to own a house without this One Weird Trick my stepdad taught me. now I'll basically "inherit" my childhood home without having to actually deal with inheritance shenanigans. sure as gently caress beats an apartment, and the mortgage is basically the cost of an apartment around here anyways these days, been seeing basic-rear end apartments listed for 2k+ and that's just garbage. What Has Happened To This Country etc etc

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
you mofos are freaking me out as someone who is contemplating possibly making a very big move soon...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Paying off loans in full kill your credit score???

My assumption has been they don't like it when you're no longer in a vice having the money drained out of you every month.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm sorry for starting a credit card derail. Anyway don't worry about me, for various reasons I have some people who manage stuff for me and they say my credit score is good.

This is only sort of animated feature related but IATSE is gaining ground in Canada. The studio that animated Nimona is doing a union vote at the moment, and its very easy to form a union in Quebec so the odds are in their favor.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Electric Phantasm posted:

My assumption has been they don't like it when you're no longer in a vice having the money drained out of you every month.

It's both this and the statistical anomaly of paying off a debt in full does not indicate one's ability to consistently pay off future debts with interest. A track record is more valuable to creditors.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/sciencesaru/status/1713330693873529220

Looking good

Edit: youtube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLvRvqByxUI

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 15, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Looking forward to that ^

I just watched all of Bee and Puppycat on Netflix. Fun series. The ending is a bit abrupt, I wasn't sure if they were planning on getting another season or if that's just how they envisioned it ending. But I still enjoyed the show overall.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

I just looked it up and it has since been debunked so so much for that I guess.

or was it???
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1714021068640227702

live-action :bang:

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 17, 2023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

unless they get a bunch of star trek cast members for it, what is the point?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
To be fair, Eugene Cordero and Jack Quaid are all over the place right now. I bet they’d be down.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Eugene as Lexington, Jack Quaid as Brooklyn, lock it down!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They'll probably be able to get Keith David back at least (also if you've ever seen a picture of the man, Jonathan Frakes could probably pull off a decent live action Xanatos)

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Eugene as Lexington, Jack Quaid as Brooklyn, lock it down!

Wait, why would Jack Quaid be the dog?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tribbledirigible posted:

Wait, why would Jack Quaid be the dog?

That’s Bronx.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Obviously Doug Jones would be Bronx.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

That Disney 100 short is out on Disney plus.

It was ok, but it was really funny in parts that were supposed to feel sentimental.

"All those talented artists who have been here over the years"

Yeah and then fired.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Pixeltendo posted:

It was ok, but it was really funny in parts that were supposed to feel sentimental.

Yeah and then fired.

Yeah, along with that, it was pretty much what you’d expect. Wreck-it Ralph referring to Mickey as “Garfield” got a little chuckle out of me, though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pixeltendo posted:

Yeah and then fired.

or left because they couldn't tolerate either the direction Disney was heading in at the time or the heavy control

Masktheknife
Oct 19, 2023
https://www.gamerant.com/resident-evil-mortal-kombat-actor-ken-lally-dead/

Not really, animated-related but a voice actor, so it counts, Ken Lally voice of Goro for the video game Mortal Kombat 9 died.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pixeltendo posted:

Yeah and then fired.

Hey, to give them the benefit of the doubt, some of those artists are dead.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pixeltendo posted:

Yeah and then fired.

I kinda liked it. I liked that they really tried to approach the older animation style. Even if some of them utterly failed like Pocahontas was horrific to see.
A lot of shout outs to even movies that didn’t succeed in any meaningful way.
They credited Genie as Robin Williams.

Does anyone know what the car and the plane in the group photo are from?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Darth TNT posted:

I kinda liked it. I liked that they really tried to approach the older animation style. Even if some of them utterly failed like Pocahontas was horrific to see.

I didn’t see the plane but I just assumed the car was from Roger Rabbit.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The plane is from a short in Saludos Amigos.

The car came from a cartoon short called 'Susie the little blue coupe'

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Darth TNT posted:

They credited Genie as Robin Williams because it actually was Robin Williams. They used spare/unused audio from his original recording sessions. They cleared it with his estate first, even.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pixeltendo posted:

The plane is from a short in Saludos Amigos.

The car came from a cartoon short called 'Susie the little blue coupe'

Thanks!

HJE-Cobra posted:

They credited Genie as Robin Williams because it actually was Robin Williams. They used spare/unused audio from his original recording sessions. They cleared it with his estate first, even.

And that’s really cool!

What somehow bothers me about the movie is Ka slithering on his back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just realised movie Peach had basically the same backstory as Gru.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
"Trolls Band Together was theatrically released in Argentina and Denmark on October 12, 2023, and in the United Kingdom on October 20, and is scheduled to be released in the United States on November 17."

Why does this happen

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

"Trolls Band Together was theatrically released in Argentina and Denmark on October 12, 2023, and in the United Kingdom on October 20, and is scheduled to be released in the United States on November 17."

Why does this happen

I'm guessing because studios think it'll make more money if they release it closer to thanks giving?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't know the history of the Trolls franchise, maybe they're trying to delay bad press/reviews affecting worldwide box office by releasing it in other places before here? That sounds stupid but I've heard plenty of stupid when it comes to release strategies before...

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

HJE-Cobra posted:

What is the skinny on this estate business?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TwoPair posted:

I don't know the history of the Trolls franchise, maybe they're trying to delay bad press/reviews affecting worldwide box office by releasing it in other places before here? That sounds stupid but I've heard plenty of stupid when it comes to release strategies before...

More likely to release in international markets to discourage piracy, which is much more common with the reverse when stuff takes months to release outside the US.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

What is the skinny on this estate business?

Here's the article I saw about it

https://gizmodo.com/robin-williams-genie-voice-once-upon-a-studio-disney-1850930600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I was hoping for more detail than that. What's the deal with them trying to avoid earnings for 25 years, is it some sort of advanced tax fuckery? Usually heirs are not averse to the estate bringing in money.