Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Oh, I was wondering because I need to go find the "Millenial Pearl Seahorse" and I wasn't sure if this was a Sumeru/Inazuma-style "hope you like mashing through Paimon talking to key npcs for awhile to unlock key chunks of content" situation with uhhh Fontaine?
No, it's just right there on the map. You do have to swim through a little underground tunnel to the west of the boss icon to reach its cavern but nothing actually prevents you from getting there. It is all the way on the north end of Fontaine but it's not exactly difficult to cross Fontaine because it's not a land of infinite cliffs like Sumeru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, I was wondering because I need to go find the "Millenial Pearl Seahorse" and I wasn't sure if this was a Sumeru/Inazuma-style "hope you like mashing through Paimon talking to key npcs for awhile to unlock key chunks of content" situation with uhhh Fontaine?
none of those sorts of bosses were locked behind anything in sumeru, just the weekly bosses

Kale
May 14, 2010

The last world boss I really remember being locked behind anything was the ruin serpent in the Chasm Depths.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nice. I am now fighting this seahorse that appears to be very easy. Sick.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I hate farming for Neuv because I don't like killing the cute animals and every time I try to get directions to giant enemy crabs it suggests I kill a seal in front of its children

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Everett False posted:

I hate farming for Neuv because I don't like killing the cute animals and every time I try to get directions to giant enemy crabs it suggests I kill a seal in front of its children

i mean you can count the number of trash mobs in Genshin that aren't a guilt trip on one hand

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Nice. I am now fighting this seahorse that appears to be very easy. Sick.
I fought the seahorse for the first time in 12-1. Weird, an enemy with a non-pyro elemental shield who explodes if Bennett looks at it funny!

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Oh right, I was gonna try and get Wrio's robot thingy for Klee. Brb...

Amos bow :(

Weapons banner: don't pull on it!!!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i've pulled for something on the weapon banner twice and both times got exactly what i wanted (yelan's bow and neuv's catalyst), but this is both insanely lucky and also something i only even considered after my account was a year old and on banners where both featured weapons and the 4-stars were fantastic

if i ever dare to do it again, especially after humblebragging like this, i fully expect to get skyward sworded

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean you can count the number of trash mobs in Genshin that aren't a guilt trip on one hand

Yeah, but the other ones have the decency to aggro first! "I DON'T WANT TO BE DOING THIS," I yell at the hilichurls and the treasure hunters. "I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA," I shout as I freeze a guy wielding a shovel in place and then hit him with a goddamn meteor.

Meanwhile the seals and the crabs are just minding their own business. They don't deserve this!! I did a treasure chest puzzle that involved freeing a baby seal so it could be reunited with its mother but I accidentally hit the baby and killed it and if I could have savescummed I would have but I just had to mercy kill the parent instead 😭

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Only pull on the weapons banner if you can use EITHER of the rate-up weapons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Everett False posted:

Yeah, but the other ones have the decency to aggro first! "I DON'T WANT TO BE DOING THIS," I yell at the hilichurls and the treasure hunters. "I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA," I shout as I freeze a guy wielding a shovel in place and then hit him with a goddamn meteor.

Meanwhile the seals and the crabs are just minding their own business. They don't deserve this!! I did a treasure chest puzzle that involved freeing a baby seal so it could be reunited with its mother but I accidentally hit the baby and killed it and if I could have savescummed I would have but I just had to mercy kill the parent instead 😭

one of the Melusines in a recent quest has unusually altered perception even by their standards and says that to her you look like a monster who could swallow the whole world in one bite which absolutely tickled me pink because that's my read on the Traveler too lol

she also had some very interesting comments about Paimon

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Everett False posted:

what about those boars that ram you right as you spawn into a teleporter, they definitely deserve it

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Oh yeah I felt no guilt whatsoever going on a boar massacre for hamquest.

ETA: for the first like two months I called Genshin hamquest because my primary goal was obtaining and mastering all recipes, but I had a really hard time getting enough meat to make enough ham and I refused to actually focus on leveling and advancing the Archon quest enough to make it easier.

Everett False fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 19, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

of course now you can just go to the sumeru desert and hunt scorpions who are both abundant and somehow meatier than pigs

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

UHD posted:

of course now you can just go to the sumeru desert and hunt scorpions who are both abundant and somehow meatier than pigs

Teyvat has its own laws.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I would rather teleport to lose agro than kill one of those cute seals. Every since launch with all of those cute critters I avoided killing them. However I did merc farm Timmy’s pigeons for longer than I could remember to stockpile pigeon meat. Once I killed his duck friends though and I did feel like a monster.

As for hillichurls, nothing wrong tbere since you’re essentially putting them out of their misery. Knowing their lore helps a lot compared to just killing a sentient species with a language and everything. Treasure Hoarders etc. it’s like “sorry maybe you shouldn’t have attacked me with that shovel”, waiting for any excuse to delete one with a legal kill like an American cop.

I used to kill birds a lot more often, since when Ganyu first launched I kind of turned into a monster having novel ways to murder wildlife. Now I purposefully try and avoid their deaths.

Mushroom murder I feel pretty bad about, after Nahida’s quest. But her skills are 6, 10, 7 so some more will need to die, and the 50/50 fail Tighnari is going to require some fiery mushroom death or death via electrocution when I build him. At least it isn’t seals though.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

UHD posted:

SCORPION brand Hot dogs: They'll make you say "GET OVER HERE!"

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I've bought out the mats from the stardust shop a couple times now to avoid killing the non-hostile crabs and seals.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Just lost the 50/50 on the banner and pulled Diluc right after all the chat about how he’s no longer really relevant. I wanted dragon punch man so bad :(

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

I guess the benefit of my recent lovely luck in failing to get both Neuv and Wrio's robot it that by the time they rerun in July 2025 or something I'll have enough ethically sourced transoceanic pearls that I won't have to run around clubbing Berrybuff's family to death :toot:

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

You telling me this oceanic pearl is trans?

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Oh hey I got one of those dumb drill spears while I was busy getting owned. Gonna be excellent in full dps golden troupe construct resonance microwave Zhongi! Noelle/GeoMC/Zhongli/Furina, a brave new geo team for a brave new age.

Edit: Wait a sec, more big news for fans of esoteric Zhongli teams/Keith Silverstein's grunting. Looking at some Pikeli teams with marechaussee+Furina and it's actually surprisingly not too garbage. Finally, a team where Mika actually boosts the damage he was designed to???

If Furina really does make stupid garbage teams like this work for real then my faith is restored! Mostly.

Edit 2: Making the :| face as I "optimize" these teams into mono-hydro character by character. "Please just let me enjoy hearing Zhong go HUAHUAGHUAGH", I think to myself. It's no use

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 19, 2023

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Garrand posted:

I've bought out the mats from the stardust shop a couple times now to avoid killing the non-hostile crabs and seals.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There are too many posts to quote but big thanks to whoever answered my questions and comforted my salt. I'll probably bring out Diluc eventually since I never did finish Dragonspine by a longshot. It is also comforting that a rerun might be closer to a few months instead of, like, a year. I guess I'll just start saving again and see how I feel as banners come up.

One more question: for an early game account is it better to be rolling continuously to get a steady stream of 4 star weapons/characters, or is it viable to enter hoarder mode? Or are you gimping yourself if you do?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Usually it depends on what characters are on the banners, but as of now, Venti's good enough to try rolling for him regardless of the 4*s not being any of the standing ovation incredible tier of usefulness like Fischl, Xiangling, Bennet, Xingqiu, Kirara etc. They're all still perfectly fine and have their niches at the end of the day.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

You're definitely not gimping yourself if you choose to save, you can easily clear everything outside high abyss floors using only the free characters and craftable weapons.

I would advise saving during this banner, even though that can feel bad when you dont have many characters/weapons. Wriothsley doesn't seem very impressive, and while Venti is a great character in some unique ways, he isn't really a powerhouse pick that enables you able to tackle hard content. More importantly for a newer account, the featured four stars are really unimpressive. Thoma is the only one that has a good use, and even then its for a niche composition. You could easily end up spending a lot of wishes on these banners without meaningfully increasing the strength of your account.

Still, if you decide you want to pull despite all that, its not really the end of the world. There are still an absolute ton of wishes you can farm from all the uncompleted content.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The only way you can really waste wishes in genshin (because pity carries between banners) is to pull on a 5* you're not actually interested in (and then getting that character and being disappointed about it)

I personally prefer to only pull for characters when I have enough resources to guarantee the character I've got my eye on but ymmv

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

One more question: for an early game account is it better to be rolling continuously to get a steady stream of 4 star weapons/characters, or is it viable to enter hoarder mode? Or are you gimping yourself if you do?
the overworld content is extremely easy, and even the difficult content can be cleared mostly by free characters and weapons (even if it takes a lot of effort.)

There's not nearly enough of a power gap between the 'bad' characters and the good ones, or constellations for lower rarity characters, or whatever, for that to be the main method of increasing power. Things like artifacts, talent levels, etc, increase your power by way more. (proper team composition and rotations also, when you start getting into optimization.) Focusing on stuff like that is mostly a thing you do as an endgame player.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Has anyone got the Fleuve Cendre Ferryman and is it good?

I kinda want it, because the idea of Benny just beating people down with a metal pipe is just hilarious to me

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure the Aranara sword is still his best F2P because Atk Stak?

Pipe will probably still be a great comedy option for Furina, tho.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

It's a decent ER stat stick. You could definitely have worse weapons on Benny. The only real issue being it isn't Favonius Sword.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’m still so gutted I started playing after the fish claymore.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you need more ER it's a great pick. I strongboxed noblesse for 17 patches so I can get by with sapwood but cendre is super good otherwise. I use mine on Lynette though I also dont use lynette much.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Has anyone done the math on Festering Desire vs Dockhand's R5 for Furina? I ended up with like 8 Dockhand's while going for Neuvi's catalyst so I'm hoping I can get some use out of all the extras.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Space Opera posted:

Has anyone done the math on Festering Desire vs Dockhand's R5 for Furina? I ended up with like 8 Dockhand's while going for Neuvi's catalyst so I'm hoping I can get some use out of all the extras.
If you activate the dockhand passive on cooldown and can use the EM (which describes nilou bloom? and I'm not sure what else) dockhand R5 should be better. If you're not using EM festering should be better.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

mycot posted:

You arent gimping yourself to save as such, but honestly on an early game account... I rolled almost every time I scraped together enough free primos for a 10-pull and dont regret it. If you have no 5* characters then literally any 5* is a massive improvement to your account, and if you have very few 4* then every one you get either makes someone stronger (if its a constellation) or opens up new team options. When you are levelling up the character you like sometimes you find a use for ones you werent that fussed about ("This domain would be so much easier with a healer but they need to be this element" or "this overworld team would be more convenient if I could swap out the cryo character I'm using for a cryo character with a 2-handed sword for ore farming" or "gently caress I want to level up this hydro character but I have no way of dealling with the oceanids loving birds") Also if you never roll you quickly end up running out of stardust to buy the monthly primos in the shop, not end of the world, but annoying.

End of the day, you do you. If you want to save until someone you *really* want rolls round (and you understand the pity system etc) then more power to you. But if you get bored easily and crave variety and options then rolling on almost* everyone is fine too. Or mix and match, save when there is a banner upcoming with someone you want, and roll continuously if there isnt.

*If you play the trial and loving HATE how they play, probably dont roll on their banner. While bow aiming with a controller did eventually grow on me, Hu Taos playstyle never did, making her the only character I rolled on that i regretted. Shes never come back off the bench since I maxed her friendship. And the other consideration, which wasnt a thing when my account was new, is; If their upgrade materials are based in Inazuma only roll on them if you are okay with leaving them at level 20 until you advance the story enough to get there.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Looks like Wriothsley is the only real worthwhile thing at all on this banner. Definitely the weaker rotation by far of patch 3.1. Soon as I get the guy I'm obviously dipping till Furina, nothing to double think this time around.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

No Wave posted:

If you activate the dockhand passive on cooldown and can use the EM (which describes nilou bloom? and I'm not sure what else) dockhand R5 should be better. If you're not using EM festering should be better.

Thanks, I guess I'll hold off on merging them until I get Furina and see what team I like her in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Kale posted:

Looks like Wriothsley is the only real worthwhile thing at all on this banner. Definitely the weaker rotation by far of patch 3.1. Soon as I get the guy I'm obviously dipping till Furina, nothing to double think this time around.

Rude to Thoma, you can even use them together.