Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Kind of giving me a vibe of the Nelvana concept art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He fits the general silhouette of what I imagine when picturing a Doctor. A long person with a jacket

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Well, that's certainly interesting
Kinda like the spindly Cyberman design, since it makes them something besides 'people in suits' which only works so far (see: Mondasian Cybermen) and drives home the further loss of humanity

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's Egon from the Ghostbusters cartoon

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Can't help thinking that Colin Baker's voice as it is now would be perfect for that rendering of the character.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

He fits the general silhouette of what I imagine when picturing a Doctor. A long person with a jacket

[Sylvester McCoy wipes one tear from his eye.]

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Egon-in-the-Real-Ghostbusters-Looking-rear end-Doctor

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It would probably have been poo poo but I'm sad it never happened.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TL posted:

Egon-in-the-Real-Ghostbusters-Looking-rear end-Doctor

I mean, Maurcie LaMarche would make a great animated Doctor.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Random Stranger posted:

I have trouble saying that until I've seen them on screen. Nothing there screams "the Doctor!" to me, but none of the modern era doctors had really wild and eccentric outfits that stood out like that either. To me the Doctor is all in the performance and I can't wait to see that.

Maybe if Gatwa had some question marks on his collar.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I'm not buying Matt Smith spending 400 years or whatever in that one tweed suit and only ever changing his bow tie. The Doctor only ever wearing one outfit ever for an entire regeneration is among JNT's worst ideas tbh

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I'm not buying Matt Smith spending 400 years or whatever in that one tweed suit and only ever changing his bow tie. The Doctor only ever wearing one outfit ever for an entire regeneration is among JNT's worst ideas tbh

Wasn't Smith the one modern-era Doctor who actually changed his whole style of dress periodically, though? Like, Tennant and Capaldi had variations on themes, but Smith had the multiple tweed jackets, the purple long coat getup, the burgundy coat he wore for most of "The Time of the Doctor," the three-piece suit he wore in "The Crimson Horror"...

I mean, I get your point, but that was the one choice you could make that would largely invalidate it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Class3KillStorm posted:

Wasn't Smith the one modern-era Doctor who actually changed his whole style of dress periodically, though? Like, Tennant and Capaldi had variations on themes, but Smith had the multiple tweed jackets, the purple long coat getup, the burgundy coat he wore for most of "The Time of the Doctor," the three-piece suit he wore in "The Crimson Horror"...

I mean, I get your point, but that was the one choice you could make that would largely invalidate it.

Yup, Smith had 2 distinct tweed jackets and then like 3 4 completely different outfits during his run

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 18, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I wasn't seriously suggesting a goofy outfit, it's just that I think the relatively normal, somewhat stylish outfits of the modern era aren't distinctive enough to communicate that this person is the Doctor. That's not a bad decision for the look of the show; I think the stuff we've seen from the new RTD era is going with a cool style for costume design.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Right, but all of the outfit variations start happening in series 7, right? Series 5 and 6 are like 400 years of his life and he wears that one outfit for virtually all of that time? Bull poo poo i tell you

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Capaldi had a ton of different looks

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Right, but all of the outfit variations start happening in series 7, right? Series 5 and 6 are like 400 years of his life and he wears that one outfit for virtually all of that time? Bull poo poo i tell you

In season 5 he changes between two tweed jackets and changes his shirt and bowtie. Season 6 he has a tweed jacket and also that green trench coat thing, changes shirt and bowtie very often. That plus any one off outfits (tuxedos, etc).

He really is one of the doctors who changed things up more often than most, at least in the modern era

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dabir posted:

Capaldi had a ton of different looks

I know people hated it, but I loved Capaldi’s holey hoodie look. That middle era of super casual Capaldi outfits really felt like the most natural thing for that Doctor to wear.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I loved the hoodie and coat look Capaldi did, and it’s a really nice look that you can get away with easily.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Branding and budget aside, Of love if the Doctor had a different but related outfit. Be a canvas for fashion designers and fibre artists. Always love when they dress to period theme too.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I treat the costumes as a bit of character insight. The Doctor often sticks with a single outfit or variation on it for a long time because it helps anchor them in their current identity.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Like Scaroth making Da Vinci do multiple copies of the Mona Lisa, the Doctor is always popping up at different periods of time to get the same clothes designers to do them a whole bunch of the exact same outfit :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gatwa has powerful Jon Hamm "Look good wearing ANYTHING" energy, Jesus Christ.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

…does he have Gallifreyan on his nails?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Right hand spells T I M E, left hand L O R D

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Feels surreal that we're getting new doctor who in a few weeks. I am very excited.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Forktoss posted:

Right hand spells T I M E, left hand L O R D

At least it isn't T H E T A and S I G M A.

E: Or P I P & and J A N E.

Coward fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 19, 2023

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

The_Doctor posted:

It's a new Canon being introduced to explain pertwees tattoo. It travels and is reimagined every reincarnation, and we just havent seen it in a public place for a few..

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McGann posted:

It's a new Canon being introduced to explain pertwees tattoo. It travels and is reimagined every reincarnation, and we just havent seen it in a public place for a few..

That's why 11 REALLY shaved his head, he was becoming increasingly panicked that he couldn't find the tattoo :hai:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

There's already new canon explaining the tatoo. :colbert:

It was Faction Paradox.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wouldn’t be opposed to Faction Paradox on screen.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Faction Paradox created the Thirteenth Doctor by redirecting Twelve to Antarctica when he was about to regenerate. Originally, he was supposed to regenerate into Jo Martin.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I wouldn’t be opposed to Faction Paradox on screen.

Buddy, they won't even let *me* facti it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q20_QXrnURM
Lol @ ~1:30 "We really don't think modern Doctor Who counts."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love them all talking about early cuts without music and freaking out that it's terrible :allears:

Crazy that they were able to find a room big enough that RTD could sit very far away and they could use camera tricks to make him look the same size as the non-giants.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not sure I've seen RTDs face before. I've just been imagining him as a second David Tennant all this time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah normally clouds are obscuring the view of his face.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Bill Baggs is probably rushing to try and get the rights to squeeze out novels and audios based on the cavemen from The Tribe of Gum for BBV right now.

Some of the semi-licensed Doctor Who spin-offs, who are they even for? I can understand Omega being viable, but are people really that into Cwej, for example? It's a deep rabbit hole if you go down it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
As a recent New Adventures convert, I definitely dig Cwej, although that's not to say I'd sit down and listen to a solo audio drama about him.

Big Finish basically do the same thing with random-rear end characters, like the whats-her-name thief from the bus desert episode or the Doctor's clone (no the other one) so apparently it's profitable enough. It's easy enough work for an actor to dash off a couple audios in a recording booth, and I don't have the facts to back this up but I suspect it's a lot of people's dream job to write for Doctor Who so the writers are probably not getting paid very much.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And yet Big Finish rarely seems to expand their writing pool, aside from the once yearly short story competition where they choose one (1) person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

In no way related to anything being discussed, but I fell in love with The Doctor because they always solve problems by observing, putting things together, and talking.

I. AM. TALKING.

I don't do a great job of it, but that's all I aspire to be.