Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Youtube is presumably collecting stats on video playback coverage because that have that little histogram on the play bar that tells you what times other users focused on. I guess they could turn that into a sponsor engagement metric if they really wanted to

Do sponsor deals actually flow through Youtube so they can take a cut? I know they have that "this video contains paid promotion" overlay, but for all I know that could just be a checkbox you have to click when uploading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
In video sponsers are almost certainly basically all based on clickthroughs/using whatever code they tell you to use in the video/etc. If you weren't ever going to click through in the first place you probably aren't taming any money away from the creator

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
In America we hold the consumer responsible if number doesn't go up. Noble capitalist companies can't fail, they can only be failed. Unless they're woke, obviously.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

reignonyourparade posted:

In video sponsers are almost certainly basically all based on clickthroughs/using whatever code they tell you to use in the video/etc. If you weren't ever going to click through in the first place you probably aren't taming any money away from the creator

Usually. Most people get affiliate sponsorships which are paid per person using the code or whatever, but big name youtubers also get payouts just for shilling, no need to generate clicks. Also of course there's the product sponsorship where you get free poo poo in exchange for reviewing/promoting said poo poo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/BobbyAllyn/status/1714376610256769267

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

reignonyourparade posted:

Thanks to the prevalence of Raid Shadow Legends and misleading, sensational VPN ads, I generally distrust any company that aggressively sponsors video creators so the addon that automatically skips sponsor sections actually improvee my perception of them! :v:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
https://twitter.com/Support/status/1714429406192582896

Wreckage of popular social media service begins shutting off its supply of new users.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

OneEightHundred posted:

Wreckage of popular social media service begins shutting off its supply of new users.

What're you talking about? After they ban everyone without a checkmark, they're going to start raking in so much money when they come back!

Elon Musk, probably

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad they're saying upfront this is not a profit driver, now no one can be mad when it fails to make the site profitable

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
And of course, since changes were made, roughly 66% of my likes are obvious bots.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

OneEightHundred posted:

Even if I had suffered sufficient head trauma to want to sign up for an account, there's no power on earth that could convince me handing credit or bank account information over to a Musk owned company was a good idea after seeing Tesla's repeated shenanigans.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Even if I had suffered sufficient head trauma to want to sign up for an account, there's no power on earth that could convince me handing credit or bank account information over to a Musk owned company was a good idea after seeing Tesla's repeated shenanigans.

Yeah, "don't trust Elon Musk with money" is like the one lesson everyone should have learned from this whole ordeal. They should have known this before, but for some reason banks were willing to piss away millions on him so he could buy a website for a funny meme number of dollars so I guess some people were unaware of this valuable piece of advice.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It worked for lowtax

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, "don't trust Elon Musk with money" is like the one lesson everyone should have learned from this whole ordeal. They should have known this before, but for some reason banks were willing to piss away millions on him so he could buy a website for a funny meme number of dollars so I guess some people were unaware of this valuable piece of advice.

You'll run out of sanity looooooooooooooonnnnnnnggggg before the world runs out of idiots.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Name Change posted:

You can get stuff that will skip over ads in YouTube, like SponsorBlock. The problem is that right now if it's doing any damage, it's to the creators, not YouTube.

FWIR ad revenue for creators is literally pennies unless you're in the 7-8 figure view count consistently. They make more from sponsored ad reads (which, for most small to mid sized channels is like $300-700 a throw, depending on the advertiser). If you really want to support them, the best way is either through patron or if they have a proprietary streaming service (nebula, dropout, ect) to sign up there.

Re: ad blocking - If you're more tech saavy, you can set up a pi-hole. It acts as a proxy on the network level, so you don't have to run an addon that YouTube can identify and it works for cell phones and things too.

https://pi-hole.net/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Soonmot posted:

I'm gonna assume you've watched Hand tool rescue but if not, check it out!
I haven't, and thank you!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan posted:

It worked for lowtax

Nah, still wasn't enough to convince Lowtax to give Elon his credit card

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

FWIR ad revenue for creators is literally pennies unless you're in the 7-8 figure view count consistently. They make more from sponsored ad reads (which, for most small to mid sized channels is like $300-700 a throw, depending on the advertiser). If you really want to support them, the best way is either through patron or if they have a proprietary streaming service (nebula, dropout, ect) to sign up there.

Re: ad blocking - If you're more tech saavy, you can set up a pi-hole. It acts as a proxy on the network level, so you don't have to run an addon that YouTube can identify and it works for cell phones and things too.

https://pi-hole.net/

That reminds me, do you know how revenue on Nebula works? I've had it and Curiousitystream for years because it's dirt cheap and it's supposed to support stuff, but then I usually forget to check it because I'm on YouTube with an adblocker anyway. Usually when I use Nebula it's because a YouTube video reminded me and it's almost the exact same video and I don't know if there's an actual difference in terms of support between having it and using it?

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
With a quick search I found this answer: https://nebula.tv/faq#:~:text=How%20do%20the%20creators%20get,out%20based%20on%20watch%20time.

How do the creators get paid?
Nebula profit is divided 50/50 between the creators and Standard. The creator pool is paid out based on watch time.

So, if you DO have nebula and want to support someone, stream their stuff constantly? I wonder what the actual payout per... lets say Hour of watch time is?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The $1 subscription is so transparently a ploy to get a mass amount of credit cards on file since that’s kind of an important prerequisite to creating his WeChat clone

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Captain France posted:

That reminds me, do you know how revenue on Nebula works? I've had it and Curiousitystream for years because it's dirt cheap and it's supposed to support stuff, but then I usually forget to check it because I'm on YouTube with an adblocker anyway. Usually when I use Nebula it's because a YouTube video reminded me and it's almost the exact same video and I don't know if there's an actual difference in terms of support between having it and using it?

According to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nebula/comments/11iamhv/is_it_better_for_creators_to_watch_through/ creators will make much more money through Nebula than Youtube Premium.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

nachos posted:

The $1 subscription is so transparently a ploy to get a mass amount of credit cards on file since that’s kind of an important prerequisite to creating his WeChat clone

Who in the world is signing up for new Twitter accounts in this day and age anyway? Besides bots of course.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Clarste posted:

Who in the world is signing up for new Twitter accounts in this day and age anyway? Besides bots of course.

People aging into being allowed on the internet by their parents presumably.

Though I bet a parent would be way less willing to let them pay money for Twitter so it's a boon for the world!

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, $1 is not enough to actually make money off but the act of getting a credit card and entering it is probably a significant barrier for new users that the only possible reason is to get any credit cards.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

People aging into being allowed on the internet by their parents presumably.

Do any young people use twitter anymore? Pretty sure it graduate to old people social media a long time ago.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's like a sin tax on cigarettes and it's good because gently caress Twitter. You should never start tweeting.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
By 2025 fewer than 5% of people will tweet. We will create a generation who has never tweeted.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

PT6A posted:

By 2025 fewer than 5% of people will tweet. We will create a generation who has never tweeted.

And everyone said Elon couldn't improve the future.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Very few people ever tweeted, honestly. Twitter always had an outsized footprint because it was a central location for official communication and news, and a place for celebrities to get dunked on.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Twitter always had an outsized footprint because it was a central location for official communication and news, and a place for celebrities to get dunked on.

And Musk killed it, chiefly just by being himself. Amazing.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

nachos posted:

The best part is this is hilariously defeated by using single-use virtual debit cards.

Clarste posted:

I made my first ever Twitter account back when it looked like Musk was shutting down view access to non-accounts, in May of this year.

Tree Reformat fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 19, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
View access to non-accounts I am pretty sure is still half-broken on Twitter.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's a feature not a bug. Now you have to pay $1 to view tweets. If Elon can sign up every non Twitter user in the world, he'll save himself.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
lmao at registering for twix.com after Elon took over

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OddObserver posted:

View access to non-accounts I am pretty sure is still half-broken on Twitter.

If you aren't logged in on twitter, two major things are broken:

-you cannot view threads, just one post at a time

-you cannot view all of an accounts tweets. Or, well, you can, but in a completely useless order (as far as anyone can tell they're sorted by engagement, which is effectively random)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You can just replace the "twitter.com" part of the url with nitter.net or nitter.nl or whatever to view them all as if you were logged in it rules plus it doesn't give any tracking/algorithm info to Twitter. There's browser extensions that automatically do this to any twitter link you click on. So you can have the best of just one world by not having an account but have the worst of another world by still being able to view everything on Twitter.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

haveblue posted:

If you aren't logged in on twitter, two major things are broken:

-you cannot view threads, just one post at a time

-you cannot view all of an accounts tweets. Or, well, you can, but in a completely useless order (as far as anyone can tell they're sorted by engagement, which is effectively random)

I thought that was working as intended.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Clarste posted:

I thought that was working as intended.

There's not a lot of daylight between "intended by musk" and "broken"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Someone already posted this earlier but if it prevents anyone from creating a twitter account then godspeed:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/redirector/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/redirector/ocgpenflpmgnfapjedencafcfakcekcd

Include pattern: https://twitter.com/*
Redirect to: https://nitter.net/$1
Pattern type: wildcard

Include pattern: https://x.com/*
Redirect to: https://nitter.net/$1
Pattern type: wildcard

This sets up an auto redirect to an offsite that works very well and shows replies correctly and videos, etc.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

haveblue posted:

Pretty sure they're sorted by likes.

It's not even a good engagement algorithm like "recently popular," it's just an intentionally-worthless reel of their best zingers from, probably, years ago.