Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Meskhenet posted:

Isnt the main plot dudes in a forest getting hunted by invisible creature?

I watched it with my son last year. Its still good.

No, that's Predator. We're talking about The Predator.

The past decade or two has made it very difficult to differentiate between the names of movies and when they were made due to just straight up having the same names or something very similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

lol, that explains why stuff hasnt been making sense :)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just putting a roman numeral or number after the title may have been a little artless before it fell out of fashion, but at least it created very little ambiguity. Now they'll just release a sequel or remake and call it the same thing. Or just put the definite article before the title as with the good predator (predator) vs the really bad arguably worst predator (the predator)

Even worse with video games that do it on a tighter cycle.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Meskhenet posted:

Isnt the main plot dudes in a forest getting hunted by invisible creature?

I watched it with my son last year. Its still good.

He’s talking about ‘The Predator’, the 2017 sequel by Shane Black.

Edit, beaten

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

Ya know what was surprisingly good? Prey. I only watched it recently and expected nothing (:350:) but I was pleasantly surprised. I’d watch more predator historical stuff

I couldn't finish Prey, despite the awesome idea and setting. The pacing was awful, the acting was wooden af, the cg looked like wet rear end, and I couldn't find a single character to actively give a poo poo about.

Had way more fun with The Predator, likely because this thread set an exceptionally low bar for me whereas everyone everywhere has been hyping Prey since it released.

The Predator felt like a schlocky (but vaguely self-aware) B-Movie and despite its many, many flaws it at least had an interesting cast of characters (Thomas Jane was really fun, Trevante Rhodes did way more with his role than he needed to, and I even enjoyed Keegan Michael Key chewing the scenery) and an atmosphere of fun, low-stakes popcorn-y action.

While Prey objectively has a better setting, better cinematography, and a more coherent plot, it just wasn't any fun for me to watch.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Get loving ready, Aliens 4K (possibly) coming soon.

Oh yeah and True Lies and The Abyss.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Get loving ready, Aliens 4K (possibly) coming soon.

Oh yeah and True Lies and The Abyss.

gently caress YES!!!!

I know it won't happen, but it would be interesting to see how it would look in 4K but with the super 35 grain. I do think the flick looks better* the way Cameron did it without the grain for the anthology release but I'm curious.

*When Ripley is driving the APC through the complex to rescue everyone, I feel like this is the only part of the movie that kind of doesn't look good and the extra clarity exacerbates that imo. Like it makes it very obvious that the APC is moving pretty slowly and there's like nothing really going on with the set it's in.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 12, 2023

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I’m playing Dark Decent at the endorsement of someone in this thread and damned if Makio can’t aim for poo poo, but she can sure snatch a facehugger out of mid air!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just putting a roman numeral or number after the title may have been a little artless before it fell out of fashion, but at least it created very little ambiguity. Now they'll just release a sequel or remake and call it the same thing. Or just put the definite article before the title as with the good predator (predator) vs the really bad arguably worst predator (the predator)

Even worse with video games that do it on a tighter cycle.
Xbox One

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
watched this for the first time a few nights ago after having watched alien 1 as well for the first time a month prior. what great movies, can't wait to see Aliens 3 in nov! :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

cumpantry posted:

watched this for the first time a few nights ago after having watched alien 1 as well for the first time a month prior. what great movies, can't wait to see Aliens 3 in nov! :)

:glomp:

I'm glad you enjoyed them! If you can get your hands on the Assembly cut of Alien 3, consensus here is that it's superior.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The haunted mansion joke was solid.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Not really news, just something that might be interesting to people.

It’s the books the director of the upcoming Alien film was reading when he was developing the movie.

quote:

…books on the art of the video game Alien: Isolation, Aliens set photography, the work designer H.R. Giger did on Alien, the work of concept artist Ron Cobb, the making of Alien, the vehicles and technology of the Alien franchise, David’s drawings from Alien: Covenant, and the Colonial Marines tech, as well as a collection of Aliens comic books.

https://www.joblo.com/alien-alvarez-books/

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I approve
:hmmyes:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2edS2FlrK4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Awe gently caress…

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh cock, another Alien movie? Leave it alone, for God's sake!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

It's a streaming only thing.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Finish the David storyline and then leave it alone. Or have them invade pandora so we can get Avatar 3: Aliens 2: The only illegals on this planet are the humans (and the xenomorphs)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

edogawa rando posted:

If making Aliens movies culminates in a faithful adaptation of Aliens: Labyrinth, then I say make as many Aliens movies as we need to for that to happen.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

If making Aliens movies culminates in a faithful adaptation of Aliens: Labyrinth, then I say make as many Aliens movies as we need to for that to happen.

sadly it never will, the level of practical effect body horror needed to pull it off died. i wish it didn’t.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

After Resurrections, Prometheus and Covenant, I'm sorry to say that I don't have a whole lot of faith at this stage. Too many consecutive Ls.

It would be nice if they could capture the same lightning in the bottle that the folks who did Alien and Aliens did, but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

edogawa rando posted:

After Resurrections, Prometheus and Covenant, I'm sorry to say that I don't have a whole lot of faith at this stage. Too many consecutive Ls.

It would be nice if they could capture the same lightning in the bottle that the folks who did Alien and Aliens did, but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Yep. I have zero faith in any new Alien movie at this moment. Although keeping my expectations low helps... well, with life in general I suppose.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah I think that's how most people see it.

I'm happy for people who liked them, but it doesn't seem like those movies were very popular.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Whenever I see a sentence that begins with "True," I hear it in Rue Mclanahan's voice from starship troopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zUTfVgbsCE&t=38s

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that was Blanche!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Aliens: Dark Descent was awesome. By the end, I was laying down walls of sentry guns, silenced sniping whole rooms of baddies, chain-castong explosives. It wasn't just a great Aliens adaptation: it was a superb real-time XCOM, which I didn't even know I wanted.

It put me in such a good mood, I watched Prometheus and Alien: Covenant for the first time. Eh. At least Michael Fassbender's performance was interesting. And I liked the last 5 minutes of Covenant, which were genuinely creepy.

I give myself credit for apparently calling it in Prometheus: when they said the Engineers got the order to destroy humanity 2000 years ago, I thought to myself "because of Jesus, right? The Engineers heard about it, and somehow their conclusion was, 'Holy poo poo, this species killed God? Even by their own myths, they don't deserve to exist!'" I then read that in an early draft of the script, it was explicitly stated that Jesus was an Engineer who came to Earth to make its people less violent and got crucified for it. It's discouraging that my immediate reaction made more sense than something that was actually considered.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

William Bear posted:

It put me in such a good mood, I watched Prometheus and Alien: Covenant for the first time. Eh. At least Michael Fassbender's performance was interesting. And I liked the last 5 minutes of Covenant, which were genuinely creepy.

There's plenty wrong with Covenant, but everything about David, especially Fassbender's performance, was superb. And oh gently caress, that ending. They were setting up some dark poo poo for the sequel.

I don't blame anyone for sleeping on Covenant based on its overall rep, but parts of it are as good as anything in the whole franchise.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If anything, I at least had fun watching Alien: Covenant. Prometheus kind of rubbed me the wrong way as it seemed to have airs about it thinking it was all deep & philosophical regarding creation & where we came from. Alien: Covenant is just a silly space romp with a xenomorph that shows up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Whatever you think about those films the David performance was captivating. Fassbender Fassbent the poo poo out of it.

It's little wonder they cast him as two characters for the second one knowing what was firing on all cylinders in the first.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was so disappointed with Prometheus (I really wanted to love it, and I do love certain aspects of it) that I have not yet seen Covenant.

I agree though, the David character was great.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's frustrating they hosed it up, there's a solid story somewhere in there and David was great

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

redshirt posted:

I was so disappointed with Prometheus (I really wanted to love it, and I do love certain aspects of it) that I have not yet seen Covenant.

I agree though, the David character was great.

Covenant is wholly unremarkable but still worth the price of admission for Fass. It comes together enough in the third act that it doesn't feel like a total waste of time, IMO.

Currently firing up the assembly cut of A3 to make my sick day more tolerable. Haven't seen this cut before, and I haven't seen the original since shortly after it came out. Big thanks to this thread for filling out my Plex server, love you guys.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

redshirt posted:

Same for me. It looked gorgeous, and it had some undeniably tense and creepy moments, but every character apart from David and (maybe) Vickers being a moron to make the story move forward was so frustrating and annoying it spoiled the whole thing. Sure, it's possible Vickers deliberately hired morons out of spite to ruin her father's plan, but that's fan justification to excuse it.

The characters in Alien and Aliens may have made decisions that led to their deaths, but it was usually out of ignorance or panic rather than incompetence. (Well, except maybe Gorman.)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Small Strange Bird posted:

The characters in Alien and Aliens may have made decisions that led to their deaths, but it was usually out of ignorance or panic rather than incompetence. (Well, except maybe Gorman.)

I think the marines still would’ve gotten pretty mauled in the processor, but not nearly as badly as they did due to his orders. Dietrich still gets dragged up and flames Frost, but maybe Wierzbowski and Crowe don’t get wrecked? If either of them got injured the time delay still lets the hive wake up though, and losing Apone to a surprise drop-xeno would’ve been a catastrophe regardless.

The marines were probably pretty hosed no matter what, but I think more than 3 would’ve come out of the atmospheric processor if they had had their normal rounds/those hadn’t blown up.

I know we’ve had this conversation before in this thread, but William Hope played an incompetent/in-over-his-head LT to absolute perfection. Probably in part to Al Matthews’ Vietnam experience with the exact same, but he did real good.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think the marines still would’ve gotten pretty mauled in the processor, but not nearly as badly as they did due to his orders. Dietrich still gets dragged up and flames Frost, but maybe Wierzbowski and Crowe don’t get wrecked? If either of them got injured the time delay still lets the hive wake up though, and losing Apone to a surprise drop-xeno would’ve been a catastrophe regardless.

The marines were probably pretty hosed no matter what, but I think more than 3 would’ve come out of the atmospheric processor if they had had their normal rounds/those hadn’t blown up.

I know we’ve had this conversation before in this thread, but William Hope played an incompetent/in-over-his-head LT to absolute perfection. Probably in part to Al Matthews’ Vietnam experience with the exact same, but he did real good.

I love Gorman as a character because he's not a bad guy. He's not a villain. He's just in over his head and inexperienced. He legit tries to do what he thinks is best for his squad, but he's just not up to the task. Later, after the poo poo hits the fan, he's fully on board helping Ripley and Hicks out. And of course, his heroic death.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Icon Of Sin posted:

Gotta agree here, they were perfect.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Small Strange Bird posted:

Same for me. It looked gorgeous, and it had some undeniably tense and creepy moments, but every character apart from David and (maybe) Vickers being a moron to make the story move forward was so frustrating and annoying it spoiled the whole thing. Sure, it's possible Vickers deliberately hired morons out of spite to ruin her father's plan, but that's fan justification to excuse it.

I've argued this before, even the dumbest of experts wouldn't do the poo poo that they did.
Its just really really really REALLY lovely written.

Take Alien. They had a proper quarantine rule you would expect to have with new first contact with anything unknown.
Ripley as science officer denying them back in saying its 24 hours they'd have to spend in some assumed quarantine room.
Then Ash overrid it and got Kane onto the ship with the hugger. We find out Ash's reasons why later.
Perfectly loving written.

Now take Prometheus. They are on a foreign planet, some are stuck in a foreign building they haven't fully explored. There is no one monitoring them on the bridge. Should be rule loving one of sending out expeditions.
Then some of the crew are in a pretend medical room where two of them are dressed like doctors, while the rest are standing a few feet away. gently caress contamination.
Then when they gently caress around with the head, allow it to spread its funk around the room, they THEN decide to put it in the QUARANTINE chamber just beside them where it should have been in the first loving place.

Prometheus is a clown show.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

happyhippy posted:

I've argued this before, even the dumbest of experts wouldn't do the poo poo that they did.
Its just really really really REALLY lovely written.

Take Alien. They had a proper quarantine rule you would expect to have with new first contact with anything unknown.
Ripley as science officer denying them back in saying its 24 hours they'd have to spend in some assumed quarantine room.
Then Ash overrid it and got Kane onto the ship with the hugger. We find out Ash's reasons why later.
Perfectly loving written.

Now take Prometheus. They are on a foreign planet, some are stuck in a foreign building they haven't fully explored. There is no one monitoring them on the bridge. Should be rule loving one of sending out expeditions.
Then some of the crew are in a pretend medical room where two of them are dressed like doctors, while the rest are standing a few feet away. gently caress contamination.
Then when they gently caress around with the head, allow it to spread its funk around the room, they THEN decide to put it in the QUARANTINE chamber just beside them where it should have been in the first loving place.

Prometheus is a clown show.

Minor quibble but it wasn't Ripley as the science officer (which was Ash's job), but rather the warrant officer/third in command (after Dallas, the ship's captain, and Kane, the ship's XO). :eng101:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Minor quibble but it wasn't Ripley as the science officer (which was Ash's job), but rather the warrant officer/third in command (after Dallas, the ship's captain, and Kane, the ship's XO). :eng101:

Fair enough, my bad.

Just rewatching the exploding head scene again, Shaw is an Archeology expert.
How come she was the 'lead' to the proper doctor? The Doc and David should be examining it, they are the qualified ones.
Shaw should be over in the corner drinking with Michael(?).
The Doctor ends up being the nervous one not sure what to do, while Shaw is ordering everyone about and knowing more than the Doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Fair enough, my bad.

Just rewatching the exploding head scene again, Shaw is an Archeology expert.
How come she was the 'lead' to the proper doctor? The Doc and David should be examining it, they are the qualified ones.
Shaw should be over in the corner drinking with Michael(?).
The Doctor ends up being the nervous one not sure what to do, while Shaw is ordering everyone about and knowing more than the Doc.

It really is shocking how Ridley Scott went from making a very believable science fiction/horror film in Alien, to just constant :rolleyes: with Prometheus and Covenant.

It's like if the first Stephen King book you read was 'salem's Lot, and then you followed it up by reading Dreamcatcher.