Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Mister Fister posted:

Gonna piggyback off this, as the issue of retail theft has been bothering me for some time. Something i saw a little while ago:

https://twitter.com/SwannMarcus89/status/1709290824377250028

Shrink as a % of net sales for Lowes has almost doubled since 2013.

I see a lot of stupid posts on places like reddit and other forums (sometimes this one) about how retail theft is no big deal. It actually is a huge deal, especially when it comes to retail theft for basic necessities (i.e. groceries). People don't seem to understand how small profit margins are. For example, net profit margins for grocery stores are about 1-3%. If you take a grocery store with 2% margin, every time $1 is stole, you need $50 of sales to cover that theft. I'm sure some people here have seen meat being locked up at their grocery store recently if they live in a high crime area... So if someone steals like $500 worth of meat, the store will need to make $25,000 in sales to cover that theft. Imagine having that happen multiple times a day at any given store. So now you have a situation in high theft cities like Chicago, SF, DC, etc. where grocery stores are closing (or threatening to close) due to having these thefts put these particular stores in the red, and underserved communities are suffering as a result. And no, insurance usually doesn't cover this, and even if it did, insurance companies aren't unlimited wells of money and your premiums would skyrocket if they did.

Reddit subs are a cesspool. But 2.2 average net profit is deducting all the stores annual and amortized expenses. It's a little bit dishonest because it already deducts losses from existing levels of theft.

Vague Internet anti corporatism posting as praxis has become the norm. Corporate propaganda has replaced actual anarchism with their own cartoon version of it that just exists to steal poo poo. Congratulations to them for playing themselves like that.

E: you would also expect shrinkage growth to closely match sales growth and shrinkage losses to match profitably changes. An economic disruption increases all crime, the numbers will normalize if the economy does.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Right, how much profit did Lowe's make last year, despite this shrink epidemic? 32 billion.

Get the heck outta here

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mister Fister posted:

$25,000 * 2% = $500 (the other $24,500 would cover cost of goods sold + overhead like SG&A).

That math is right for the potential total value lost to the store if the meat had been purchased instead of stolen.

But, the actual loss to the store is the total cost of the meat and not the sticker price.

Your point about businesses with very small margins being disproportionately impacted by retail theft is true, but are non-prescription items at pharmacies low margin? Grocery stores and Wal-Mart are low margin businesses, but I was under the impression that pharmacies heavily markup their non-prescription items and make most of their money from pharmaceuticals.

Also, Rite-Aid specifically isn't hurting because of retail theft. It is because of competition from other pharmacies and its mounting legal problems.

I think your general point (specific types of businesses with low margins are more directly impacted by even small amounts of retail theft increases) is true, but not applicable to Rite-Aid.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Lower staffing at these stores directly leads to more opportunities to steal. 2013 to now seems to coincide with the rise of self checkout too. These companies consistently understaff and take every opportunity to cut corners. Maybe they need to take some personal responsibility about their business practices.

Employee theft is a significant portion of shrink also. More and higher paid (higher loyalty) employees would help the situation but that involves spending money that could go back to investors.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

No they need to cover the cost of the meat

You're baking in expected profit from the meat, and saying they have to sell 25K to make up those lost profits, but that's absolutely absurd. The only actual loss to the company is the cost of the meat.

Sigh. Ok, $500 * 98% (based on 2% margin) = $490 cost of the meat (Cost of goods sold and overhead). So you have to sell $24,500 to cover that loss ($24,500 * 2% margin = $490). It doesn't really diminish my point that much.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Right, how much profit did Lowe's make last year, despite this shrink epidemic? 32 billion.

Get the heck outta here

But if number doesn’t go up….

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

The 1-3% profit margin is average for all goods sold. Obviously, some goods have higher margins and some goods have lower ones. The margin on any particular good is not really something that's relevant. Pretend i didn't say 'meat', and just said 'random goods'.

It's localized. In my city, which is a very low crime city, nothing is locked up at my CVS or supermarket. Because they don't expect much theft. In places like DC, Oakland, SF? Do you think chains would want to close if they didn't have to?

Walgreens did, yes. https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/06/business/walgreens-shoplifting-retail/index.html

They wanted to close stores in those locations, made up stories about shoplifting forcing it and then walked back on it. So yeah, I think the chains wanted to close and then made up classist lies about places like DC, Oakland, and SF because they explicitly did that and admitted to it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mister Fister posted:

Sigh. Ok, $500 * 98% (based on 2% margin) = $490 cost of the meat (Cost of goods sold and overhead). So you have to sell $24,500 to cover that loss ($24,500 * 2% margin = $490). It doesn't really diminish my point that much.

It absolutely does...

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:thunk:

I'm no math expert but this is absurd.

Also, most shrink in stores is explicitly not "a customer walks in the store, grabs a side of beef and walks out the door" and more so other factors, both internal and in the supply chain. The way the numbers play out make it sound like shrink is on par with normal trends and the one thing that shows an increase is reports of violence - and I don't know if that's actually an increase, a normalization of reporting violence, or purposely overreporting to justify these companies doing the thing they already wanted to do (namely, close stores / restrict hours to bring staffing and property expenses down and push shopping to online spaces to save money).

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/26/organized-retail-crime-and-theft-not-increasing-much-nrf-study-finds.html

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So is it one guy with a tactical trench coat stealing over 100 pounds of beef at a time multiple times a day or is multiple people working in shifts?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Get the heck outta here

that's gross profit from stores, before a lot of expenses (including taxes). their net income was $6.5 billion

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I think there's two stories here:

• Corporate cost cutting creates more opportunities for theft, because there are fewer employees in stores reviewing purchases, some proportion (greater or less than 1) of saved labor costs are added to shrinkage.
  • Disenfranchised communities are more likely to take advantage of this, making stores in them even less profitable, leading to more cost cutting/closures.

The corporate dream is a grocery store with no employees, people just come in after registering. They're watched by cameras that record their purchases and leave with minimal labor cost. And we're seeing that there are fewer cost savings as stores move towards that model.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Get the heck outta here

That's gross profit and not net profit. Net profit was $6.5 billion in 2022 ($8 billion in 2023). That would be about 1/8th of the net 2023 profit lost to theft according to the Twitter guy.

That is pretty significant, but your point about it not bankrupting the company is also valid.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

FizFashizzle posted:

So is it one guy with a tactical trench coat stealing over 100 pounds of beef at a time multiple times a day or is multiple people working in shifts?

$500 was an example. The arithmetic would be the same if they stole a snickers bar.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

FizFashizzle posted:

okay average national cost of 100% ground beef (for example) is 4.80/pound, per quick google search.

So multiple times a day people are coming in to grocery stores and stealing 100 lbs of beef from the display shelf?

Is this actually an advertisement for a photoshop friday thread or something?

Yes? I was visiting family in DC a while back and they told me that a few Giant Foods markets are threatening to close a few locations because people just walk out of the store with carts full of food multiple times a day every day (and showed me the news articles about it). I just used beef as an example because i remember seeing news stories about how grocery stores in some high crime cities locking up meat like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ljvk90sYH0

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

I think the idea is that in every town and city across America (except yours because you are lucky to live in a safe one so you've never seen this actually happen) organized crime is ransacking these stores and shoplifting in mass. It's important that it is always happening in places across the country except in places where you personally would see it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

that's gross profit from stores, before a lot of expenses (including taxes). their net income was $6.5 billion

Thank you.

A company making 6.5 billion probably shouldn't be whinging about shrink losses.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It absolutely does...

I'm sorry but how is the difference of $25,000 vs $24,500 in sales needed to cover shrink a big deal?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

When Jameis Winston stuffed those crab legs down his pants, he single-handedly sent Publix into chapter 7 bankruptcy

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Lowes spent 14 billion on stock buybacks in 2022. Basically wage theft from labor. So gently caress them, steal more.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Lowe's increased their dividend by 596 million dollars annually in 2022. The increase in shrink is a fun thing for a company to point at but it isn't a significant driver of their overall business.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

funkymonks posted:

Lowes spent 14 billion on stock buybacks in 2022. Basically wage theft from labor. So gently caress them, steal more.

Hahaha

Oh no we have to close stores and fire thousands so we can maintain our profit margin and shares, why have you done this to us shoplifters!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Grocery chains and places like Lowes steal from employee wages, coordinate to raise prices across the board, and destroyed small businesses across the country on purpose to become the only choice and cause the loss of countless jobs and even entire towns. I do not care if they cry about "shrink", especially when shrink is a made up term that includes anything they want it to and is absolutely not a measure of how much theft is happening. If you see shoplifting, you didn't.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Mister Fister posted:

The 1-3% profit margin is average for all goods sold. Obviously, some goods have higher margins and some goods have lower ones. The margin on any particular good is not really something that's relevant. Pretend i didn't say 'meat', and just said 'random goods'.

The only reason to pretend you said random goods is because you need to disregard a host of complicated variables to make a very simple napkin math claim a compelling and interesting argument.

Companies incorporate anti-theft measures on some items and not others; hire workers to wander and watch over and inventory some items and not others; put some items on sale because they sold the top half of the pallet at a high price level and now need to clear out the pallet to maks room for other items taking up space on the shelf and warehouse.

The entire exercise at this point is to make one assumption (expected profit is a universal law that all other math must bend towards) and then try to argue about the arithmatic and disregard any attempt to introduce other variables.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It’s pretty telling (to me; and some other posters it would seem) that these massive chains feel no obligation to comment on what’s changing in our country to drive these increases in theft (again, if you believe the reports are entirely honest) while being willing to make changes to their hiring, staffing, store opening/closing, store location and loss-prevention policies, all of which collectively drive changes in society.

If you constantly cut staff at a Wal Mart, and replace them with self-checkout, you’ve done several things that affect your local community:
-removed jobs, and thus the ability of those employees to shop where they worked. This means you’ve not only got one person who can no longer afford to shop there, but entire families.
-made the customer feel more alienated by forcing them to get one of those staff who are increasingly harder to find to unlock a cabinet so they can get shaving cream. why would I respect the store that treated me like a criminal just for walking in?
-the removal of stores in my area means the places that I do go to don’t employ anyone I know, and feel even less connected to my local community than the already-tenuous connection a big box store can have anyway.
-Price increases and gouging make consumers feel even more pressed and unable to maintain what they previously saw as the bare minimum, and asks them to accept a new bare minimum.

I just can’t be made to care what’s happening to Wal Mart when what’s driving their view is a situation they had a not-insignificant part in creating. Sorry this community can’t be sucked any drier, and has started sucking back, not my problem!

People will make a judgment call about how much they want or need something, and the risk of getting it. It’s the same reason why everything on your phone is a route for someone to scam you. There’s a horde of exploitable resources out there (Americans with poor data security and money) and the risk/reward calculation driving those scams is very similar to the ones being performed by exploitative western colonial powers all throughout modern history. They just figured out a way to do it that doesn’t require guns or enormous economic advantages of scale to exploit a lesser power. The lesser power here in modernity is the person being scammed, and the reason it’s so common is that our society has had the copper stripped out, and our political systems are so calcified there’s no push or even maybe a credible mechanism to end it.

Same with shoplifting; what are you gonna do, hire more cops who won’t do their jobs? What’s your other option?

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Mister Fister posted:

Yes? I was visiting family in DC a while back and they told me that a few Giant Foods markets are threatening to close a few locations because people just walk out of the store with carts full of food multiple times a day every day (and showed me the news articles about it). I just used beef as an example because i remember seeing news stories about how grocery stores in some high crime cities locking up meat like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ljvk90sYH0

This is a solved problem. Hire more people to stand at the exits and say "show me your receipt or I'm calling the cops. You're on camera." This will deter that kind of theft. These companies don't care enough to take this relatively small step. It's a media phenomenon that companies are willing to play into but not significant to the overall picture.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Thank you.

A company making 6.5 billion probably shouldn't be whinging about shrink losses.

It's a localized problem. If some cities are low crime and profitable but some cities are high crime and are unprofitable, those stores are in danger of being in the red and need to close, which hurts the local economy (and citizens who depend on it via jobs and low cost necessities).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think the idea is that in every town and city across America (except yours because you are lucky to live in a safe one so you've never seen this actually happen) organized crime is ransacking these stores and shoplifting in mass. It's important that it is always happening in places across the country except in places where you personally would see it.

Awww dammit I misread this post initially and was about to post about how I used to buy groceries at a place called Murder Kroger (rip)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This does square up with the thing we keep seeing where a company says "oh no so much theft store must close" and later it turns out theft was not actually higher at the stores they closed than the stores that stayed open.

You close underperforming stores, and a constant amount of theft is going to hit an underperforming store harder at the margins. But if theft is just uniformly up across the country without regard to local politics, trying to rein it in one store at a time is a bit of a fool's errand.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mister Fister posted:

You can’t factor in the overhead portion. That’s relatively static whether there is theft or not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Artonos posted:

Lowe's increased their dividend by 596 million dollars annually in 2022. The increase in shrink is a fun thing for a company to point at but it isn't a significant driver of their overall business.

Technically, both can be true.

Theft isn't impeding their viability as a business (even if it is now 2x what it was in 2013), but they also lost the equivalent of roughly 1/8th of their profits to theft. Losing a billion dollars is still something for the corporation, shareholders, and individual franchisees to be upset about.

Edit: Also, is Lowe's a particularly low-margin per unit sale business? Grocery stores are hit harder by shoplifting, but I don't know what the per unit markup is for the average product at Lowe's - or at least the most commonly stolen items at Lowe's. It's probably higher than the 1-3% that grocery stores have (as evidenced by the still sizable profit despite increased loss to theft).

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 19, 2023

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Artonos posted:

This is a solved problem. Hire more people to stand at the exits and say "show me your receipt or I'm calling the cops. You're on camera." This will deter that kind of theft. These companies don't care enough to take this relatively small step. It's a media phenomenon that companies are willing to play into but not significant to the overall picture.

CVS in san francisco has security guards standing at the exits and people still go in and clear out the shelves and walk out with the goods untouched. Ask me how i know.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Technically, both can be true.

Theft isn't impeding their viability as a business (even if it is now 2x what it was in 2013), but they also lost the equivalent of roughly 1/8th of their profits to theft. Losing a billion dollars is still something for the corporation, shareholders, and individual franchisees to be upset about.

Take it out of the stock buyback fund.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
do other countries have this problem or is it another american exceptionalism thing?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Glazius posted:

But if theft is just uniformly up across the country without regard to local politics, trying to rein it in one store at a time is a bit of a fool's errand.

What? This is absolutely not true, some cities have much higher rates of theft than others. I live in a city now where nothing is locked up because crime is low. None of the stuff at my local CVS is locked up. The CVS's in San Fran are all locked up and you need to press a button to page an employee to unlock the stuff for you.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

CVS in san francisco has security guards standing at the exits and people still go in and clear out the shelves and walk out with the goods untouched. Ask me how i know.

What do you think are the incentives to do that, and why have those incentives changed to make this (seemingly) more common lately, and most importantly what responsibility for the state of the economy and culture do these stores bear? Are they a part of society, does society even exist to them?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Seems like we should stop paying those cops if they are so bad at their job then. That's two cop salaries that can go to a local cause to reduce crime and increase social well-being in the community.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PhazonLink posted:

do other countries have this problem or is it another american exceptionalism thing?

Yes, it is an issue in Europe and Canada at least.

https://www.euronews.com/2023/09/14/shoplifting-surges-in-uk-as-retail-workers-face-rise-in-violence-and-abuse

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Shrink is significantly more than just theft too. So whinging about the great beef theft mafia is super disengenuous.

Did an employee leave the beef out of the freezer overnight and it's no longer safe to sell? That's shrink.

Did they order 10 beefs and they only received 7? That's shrink.

Did the manager cut some off for the company BBQ? Guess what?

Most companies list all of these sorts of factors together and then say "all of this theft is out of hand" despite relatively little of it being actually theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

Shrink is significantly more than just theft too. So whinging about the great beef theft mafia is super disengenuous.

Did an employee leave the beef out of the freezer overnight and it's no longer safe to sell? That's shrink.

Did they order 10 beefs and they only received 7? That's shrink.

Did the manager cut some off for the company BBQ? Guess what?

Most companies list all of these sorts of factors together and then say "all of this theft is out of hand" despite relatively little of it being actually theft.

Exactly. Sure theft happens, but it isn't the reason stores are closing.