Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

1. Do you have any evidence of this actually happening other than IOF reports? I've seen this used as justification before but never seen actual evidence of it occurring. I think you need more than a soldiers post hoc justification to rationalize bombing a hospital

2. This is literally ethnic cleansing

Wikipedia tries to list out the various sources https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Shifa_Hospital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Wikipedia tries to list out the various sources https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Shifa_Hospital

Where are the doctors and patients supposed to evacuate to?

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

There is virtually no evidence described in this article that wasn't later debunked or walked back

There are claims that part of the hospital was occasionally used by Hamas, and one report of a rocket launch* from a Finnish journalist with no corroborating evidence

Did you even read this link before you shared it?

Assuming these reports were true, what is being described here is a problem that needs to be handled by ground forces, not WP bombardments and missile strikes. Additionally, this isn't the hospital that was struck, is a single isolated example, and doesn't justify the war crime of striking a hospital regardless

Edit: upon reading the source of the Finnish rocket report, it turns out the rocket was launched from a location near the hospital (not the hospital itself) and the reporter regretted reporting it because it was immediately being used to justify violence against Palestine

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 19, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tagesschau posted:

They haven't faced the electorate since 2006. Their claim to legitimacy expired long ago.

Does that matter for purposes of whether civilians or armed forces of that state should be protected by the Geneva Conventions.

When is the last time our good buddy PM Mohammed bin Salman faced the electorate.

If you're just saying it's bad that Hamas governs Gaza without holding regular elections I agree, if you're saying that it's not a legitimate government if it doesn't hold elections then international law disagrees with you because absolute monarchies exist and have UN membership

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 19, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Where are the doctors supposed to move their operation to, and how?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

What I am pointing out is that physicians running the hospital are crossing a line between Hippocratic oath and Geneva protections

So, when you said you "weren't taking sides" you meant "I'm taking sides but don't want to be held accountable for it."

And after dozens of people have asked, including myself in the post you were responding to, "where do the doctors etc go" you STILL won't answer it.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

...things get pretty ugly if other Arab nations decide to get involved. It’ll be quite interesting to see how Biden’s trip goes. Unfortunately I see Biden as the only hope Palestinians have right now for getting Israel to stop crossing over into ethnic cleansing territory.

I don't think any other Arab country is actually going to get involved in any meaningful official way. To add to the pile of miseries, I've never thought that any of the other regional players really care about the people themselves beyond what they can use for their own purposes. Egypt doesn't like Hamas because they're an offshoot of the Muslim brotherhood. The Saudi's will make noise but that's all since Hamas is an Iranian proxy, and that's their regional enemy. Iran doesn't really care beyond using their proxies to harm Israel. Lebanon doesn't want to get a big chunk of Beirut leveled again. Syria won't do anything to risk making any opening to reignite their conflict.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

NovemberMike posted:

Ok, so the debunking is "We have named primary sources that were confirmed in the area and in charge of efforts confirming it, but a secondary source cannot confirm or deny within days while an active war is going on so it is 100% blood libel"?

What are these primary sources? What are there names?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Nail Rat posted:

They've already been in ethnic cleansing territory for decades, now they have (not are crossing, HAVE) crossed into full on attempted genocide.

I'm pretty sure that, as with bribery, the attempt is what constitutes genocide. Germany didn't fail to commit genocide just because they got stopped.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Jen heir rick posted:

What are these primary sources? What are there names?

Golan Vach. If you read the article you would see it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

NovemberMike posted:

That guys is an IDF Col. it would not be first or last time IDF officers have lied about what they've seen.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I don't think any other Arab country is actually going to get involved in any meaningful official way. To add to the pile of miseries, I've never thought that any of the other regional players really care about the people themselves beyond what they can use for their own purposes. Egypt doesn't like Hamas because they're an offshoot of the Muslim brotherhood. The Saudi's will make noise but that's all since Hamas is an Iranian proxy, and that's their regional enemy. Iran doesn't really care beyond using their proxies to harm Israel. Lebanon doesn't want to get a big chunk of Beirut leveled again. Syria won't do anything to risk making any opening to reignite their conflict.

Biden has considered himself a “Zionist at heart”, so we’re all pretty screwed watching this senile twat being unable to control Israel. It’s too late to primary him out

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/wireStory/zionist-heart-bidens-devotion-israel-faces-new-test-103930479

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Biden has considered himself a “Zionist at heart”, so we’re all pretty screwed watching this senile twat being unable to control Israel. It’s too late to primary him out

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/wireStory/zionist-heart-bidens-devotion-israel-faces-new-test-103930479

Where are the doctors supposed to move their operation to, and how?

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

NovemberMike posted:

Sorry I missed that:

quote:

Colonel Golan Vach, the head of the IDF’s national search and rescue unit, said that he had “found one baby with his head cut.”

Damning evidence

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Jen heir rick posted:

Sorry I missed that:

Damning evidence

I mean the initial reporting was only off by 98%

Perfectly reasonable to have a margin of error, 1 baby, 40 babies. What's the difference?

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 19, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

None of what you said was a response to what you quoted.

Anyways where are the doctors and patients supposed to go and how?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: wrong thread AGAIN, sorry!

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 19, 2023

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jen heir rick posted:

Sorry I missed that:

Damning evidence

"Cut"? Is that a mistranslation?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I mean the initial reporting was only off by 98%

Perfectly reasonable to have a margin of error, 1 baby, 40 babies. What's the difference?

Was anyone making a serious claim that 40 babies were beheaded? I always heard it as 40 babies killed, some beheaded.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

Was anyone making a serious claim that 40 babies were beheaded? I always heard it as 40 babies killed, some beheaded.

The initial outrage over Hamas' attack was in part over how "barbaric and inhuman" Hamas was, because they beheaded 40 babies.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

NovemberMike posted:

Only multiple respected and well known news outlets.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Randalor posted:

The initial outrage over Hamas' attack was in part over how "barbaric and inhuman" Hamas was, because they beheaded 40 babies.

So is that a no to having an even semi-reputable source suggesting 40 beheaded babies? What I always heard was 40 dead babies, some beheaded.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Only multiple respected and well known news outlets.

Except that every major news outlet said "unverified"?

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/unverified-allegations-beheaded-babies-israel-hamas-war-inflame-social-rcna119902

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/12/middleeast/israel-hamas-beheading-claims-intl/index.html

So... maybe The Sun ran with an uncritical parroting of that, but they're not exactly a "respected" news outlet.

Even mainstream but ultra-lovely and not-at-all-respected news outlets also never said 40 were beheaded:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/40-babies-some-beheaded-found-israel-soldiers-hamas-attacked-village

https://nypost.com/2023/10/10/hamas-kills-40-babies-and-children-beheading-some-of-them-at-israeli-kibbutz-report/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-massacred.html

A lot of infants were actually slaughtered by Hamas.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

So is that a no to having an even semi-reputable source suggesting 40 beheaded babies? What I always heard was 40 dead babies, some beheaded.

You asked if anyone was making a serious claim, not if a reputable source was.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Randalor posted:

You asked if anyone was making a serious claim, not if a reputable source was.

You need a semi-reputable source to make a serious claim. By serious I mean that normal people with a bit of understanding about the news and media would take the claim seriously. I'd even include things like Fox news but not the Bumfuck Gazette.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Randalor posted:

I'm pretty sure arguing over the 40+ babies Hamas killed among the 1300 total slaughtered was declared a no-go zone earlier in this thread. Might be best to not revive it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

NovemberMike posted:

You need a semi-reputable source to make a serious claim. By serious I mean that normal people with a bit of understanding about the news and media would take the claim seriously. I'd even include things like Fox news but not the Bumfuck Gazette.

Normal people have absolutely taken the claim seriously. The fact that ABC or whoever hedged their bets by saying "Unverified" before printing an insane headline doesn't make it any less ridiculous or irresponsible.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 19, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I'm pretty sure arguing over the 40+ babies Hamas killed among the 1300 total slaughtered was declared a no-go zone earlier in this thread. Might be best to not revive it.

Agreed. If people are seriously debating the severity of baby murder maybe it's best to move on because nothing will really be gained from this.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

NovemberMike posted:

That was being reported, yes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

You must be living under a rock sir. This is 2023 no one cares about semi legit sources or legit sources, we all believe some random blue checkmark on twitter which a lot of US officials + celebrities did. Unless you are in the biggest echochamber of all time, yes many thought/think hamas beheaded 40 kids or most of them not like some 1-2.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

neighoring arab states are not going to ride to the rescue no, especially when Palestanians were a significant source of instability within the borders of many of its neighbors

the saudis or whatever are prob going to be a source of reconstruction money next year tho

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

You could have the patients pressing the launch button from their bed with a notary there to sign an affidavit saying, "yes we launched them from the hospital" with 3 witnesses, and bombing a hospital would still not be okay. The response has to be proportional to the threat. Is Israel wants to pretend to be the Good Guy, then they send their boots to the hospital and take out the launcher another way instead of cowardly bombing patients. Or send a lancet drone or something. You don't get to missile strike hospitals because of some gotcha technicality.

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

What I am pointing out is that physicians running the hospital are crossing a line between Hippocratic oath and Geneva protections

And this just is just willfully ignorant of the staggeringly high percentage of critical, trauma patients that would die en route to the magical hospital somewhere else with the appropriate level of care and number of beds that isn't in a war zone. Moving those critical patients (likely the only ones still there) would be the violation of the oath, not keeping them in place.

ummel fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 19, 2023

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

So the argument is that news orgs have lovely headlines? That's a serious problem but the actual articles that are linked don't claim 40 babies beheaded.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Typo posted:

neighoring arab states are not going to ride to the rescue no, especially when Palestanians were a significant source of instability within the borders of many of its neighbors

the saudis or whatever are prob going to be a source of reconstruction money next year tho

So that implies that the endgame here is that Israel rolls in the tanks to Gaza, lots of Innocents and soldiers get killed, Gaza gets turned into something that looks like New Vegas, Israel pulls out after the casualties mount and international pressure gets too high, then the Oil rich middle eastern counties pay for some reconstruction, and in 5 years we end up right where we were on September 30th?

daslog fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 19, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Typo posted:

Yeah, as far as I know none of the neighbours actually like/care about Palestinians due to some of the history, so they're really well and truly alone in this

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

NovemberMike posted:

So the argument is that news orgs have lovely headlines? That's a serious problem but the actual articles that are linked don't claim 40 babies beheaded.

It was mostly tabloids and lovely news. I think it peaked with Fox because they're basically the NY Post at this point. The vast majority of entities that pushed it was twitter blue check clout4cash chasers and disinformation pushers. I've seen it mentioned here & twitter more than in any normal, sane place for discussion, and mostly as a gotcha! for IDF lies. It was buried as a thread topic for these reasons. We were slapfighting about tabloid headlines.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

NovemberMike posted:

The number wasn't specified but it was implied to be many or most of the hypothetical babies and being headless is not the same as being beheaded, in the context of ME politics beheading has a specific meaning as an execution practice and implies something happened that didn't actually happen

A child got caught in a crossfire during a war and died in a horrific way. I don't want to minimize that. But that isn't the story the IOF is telling. They are routinely portraying the Palestinian people in a way that dehumanizes them, and they're doing that so they can get away with treating them in a less than human way

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

daslog posted:

So that implies that the endgame here is that Israel rolls in the tanks to Gaza, lots of Innocents and soldiers get killed, Gaza gets turned into something that looks like New Vegas, Israel pulls out after the casualties mount and international pressure gets too high, then the Oil rich middle eastern counties pay for some reconstruction, and in 5 years we end up right where we were on September 30th?

that seem pretty likely tbh, if you zoom out a little this is just one episode among many in the decades long running Israeli-Palestinian conflict

the poltiical endgame Israel has for gaza atm seem to be handing it back to fatah, not sure how that's gonna work out tho

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Eh even according to the Israelis there isn't any clear endgame, at least according to administration officials they talked to during Biden's visit. Currently they're trying to empty out Gaza city which is certainly one way of dealing with the problem of Gaza generally supporting Hamas though I don't think that plan is remotely as workable as they appear to think it is

plus there's all the massive humanitarian and international law issues of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

NovemberMike posted:

the president if the united states also said he saw them, so there's that.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-deliver-remarks-roundtable-jewish-community-leaders-rcna119865