Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
biker wife from mars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

For clarity the UK related stuff is obviously open for discussion as yeah it's clearly UK politics.

The entire UK establishment is currently supporting a genocide of Palestine. What if I have nightmares about the one thread where we would be able to talk about that, we now can't talk about that?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be fair I don't think the topic is completely off the table, just the slapfight over whether the warcrimes brigade did the war crime or not.

Stuff like gove's unhinged attempted to making not sucking Bibi's dick treason is definitely allowed to be mentioned.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

It’s pretty funny that Israeli minister’s attacking the BBC when everything I’ve seen from them is bending over backwards to justify genocide.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

ro5s posted:

It’s pretty funny that Israeli minister’s attacking the BBC when everything I’ve seen from them is bending over backwards to justify genocide.

It will never be enough. If the BBC perfectly matched their views, that would simply be a signal to move further right.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 19, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kinda hoping this might break the fever in this country of bootlicking Israel given even in Israel Bibi is getting poo poo for loving up so bad

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
yeah if you cba to properly man your insane IoT barrier you've constructed around the people you've kept penned in a ghetto for a generation then that's really on you isn't it

grobbo
May 29, 2014

ro5s posted:

Private Eye was also being attacked this morning on Twitter for daring to imply with this headline that UK media outlets are being pressured to support Israel's actions uncritically (which is of course a baseless smear and not being stated openly in press conferences or anything like that)

https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews/status/1714545102977421797

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

George Bush dropping the ball so bad 9/11 happened but also instead of invading Afghanistan he bombs a hospital in Michigan.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

grobbo posted:

Private Eye was also being attacked this morning on Twitter for daring to imply with this headline that UK media outlets are being pressured to support Israel's actions uncritically (which is of course a baseless smear and not being stated openly in press conferences or anything like that)

This was really funny because after spending 4 years calling Corbyn the second coming of Hitler they espouse the exact same opinion he had and are now being called anti-Semites.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The entire UK establishment is currently supporting a genocide of Palestine. What if I have nightmares about the one thread where we would be able to talk about that, we now can't talk about that?

I think that is within the remit of UKMT, I'm not going to tell you not to talk about it. But I think the specifics of things that happen in Israel/Palestine would fall under that thread's remit, or be something that could be discussed with people over PMs, and I don't see what is especially served by talking about them in UKMT if it's making the thread miserable for Miftan and if several other posters would prefer it be done in I/P. I think a number of UKMT posters also post in I/P so you would quite possibly even be talking about it with the same people.

I ask because I think the reason people asked me to be IK in the first place was to try and make sure the thread is somewhere people would want to spend time, and I am only agreeing to do the role with that goal in mind. And I hope that I can do it just by asking people to think about the other people who participate in the thread regularly. I think everyone who posts in the thread regularly would agree with you that the UK's position is abhorrent and you absolutely do not have to entertain other people trying to argue that it isn't, in the event such a person were to materialize.

But generally, the UKMT is a difficult thread to read sometimes, I wasn't joking when I said it was depressing, we live in a miserable country with a lovely loving government, facing a horrific future. But a lot of people do read the thread a lot regardless. I already worry a lot about how that makes people feel and just the burden everyone living in this godawful country has to carry around with them, particularly those of us who find ourselves so utterly ostracised from the cultural mainstream in the things we want for the world and for other people.

So if a specific topic might fit better in another thread and would make the thread a little less miserable for people who might depend on it in some way, to feel a bit less isolated in the shithole we're stuck in, I would hope you would agree with taking it there.

Regardless of what the mods say I don't have any moral authority to make you do anything, I'm asking on the basis that I hope people will just give a poo poo about the other people who post here of their own volition, all I am willing to do is appeal to that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So what you're saying is, car park at half seven?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I/P

TikTok 'Influencer' tells how she was asked by prospective sponsors to say she did not support Palestine or she would lose the deal - she refused:

(tweet)

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1715028823505264898?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 19, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah see that's relevant, it's a British lass and influencer saying she was offered mucho spendo to say she supports Israel.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

crispix posted:

it affects people here too and there are protests everywhere because of it

our government is planning policy to ban pro-Palestinian protests and make it illegal to boycott Israel

this is stuff that we all need to discuss here i'm afraid

Yeah that stuff is all fine with me, but "well here's MY EVIDENCE that HAMAS BEHEADED 40 BABIES!!" is.. not appropriate for this thread because it isn't really UK related.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Like I said, the topic isn't out of bounds, nor would I try to dictate that sort of stuff, but arguing about who bombed that specific hospital and if specific war crimes are justified or not (when they have nothing to do with the UK) is already incredibly hard for me to read, and I like hanging out in the UKMT to avoid that exact discussion that I have on a daily basis already.

OwlFancier posted:

I think that is within the remit of UKMT, I'm not going to tell you not to talk about it. But I think the specifics of things that happen in Israel/Palestine would fall under that thread's remit, or be something that could be discussed with people over PMs, and I don't see what is especially served by talking about them in UKMT if it's making the thread miserable for Miftan and if several other posters would prefer it be done in I/P. I think a number of UKMT posters also post in I/P so you would quite possibly even be talking about it with the same people.

I ask because I think the reason people asked me to be IK in the first place was to try and make sure the thread is somewhere people would want to spend time, and I am only agreeing to do the role with that goal in mind. And I hope that I can do it just by asking people to think about the other people who participate in the thread regularly. I think everyone who posts in the thread regularly would agree with you that the UK's position is abhorrent and you absolutely do not have to entertain other people trying to argue that it isn't, in the event such a person were to materialize.

But generally, the UKMT is a difficult thread to read sometimes, I wasn't joking when I said it was depressing, we live in a miserable country with a lovely loving government, facing a horrific future. But a lot of people do read the thread a lot regardless. I already worry a lot about how that makes people feel and just the burden everyone living in this godawful country has to carry around with them, particularly those of us who find ourselves so utterly ostracised from the cultural mainstream in the things we want for the world and for other people.

So if a specific topic might fit better in another thread and would make the thread a little less miserable for people who might depend on it in some way, to feel a bit less isolated in the shithole we're stuck in, I would hope you would agree with taking it there.

Regardless of what the mods say I don't have any moral authority to make you do anything, I'm asking on the basis that I hope people will just give a poo poo about the other people who post here of their own volition, all I am willing to do is appeal to that.

As usual, Owlie is far more eloquent than I am. If people feel incredibly strongly about discussing the specifics of warcrimes in this thread, I will just bow out of the thread until the end of the current active hostilities.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I/P

TikTok 'Influencer' tells how she was asked by prospective sponsors to say she did not support Palestine or she would lose the deal - she refused:

(tweet)

https://x.com/AaronBastani/status/1715028823505264898?s=20

So for example this sort of thing is perfectly fine with me. I know it's a delicate tightrope act to ask for from people who aren't as immersed in the whole thing, so I'm happy to compromise and just ask for I/P stuff that isn't directly UK related to just be spoilered if you really must talk about it here.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
wait, this isn't the uncomfortable konversations mega thread?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
yeah, i've tried not posting anything about it unless it relates directly to UK stuff, and not much even then, because jesus christ is the whole situation loving grim, but sunak just jumping in headfirst on the 'this is a struggle between pure good and absolute evil' more even than the americans is... i don't even have the loving words

quote:

The government has criticised two Labour-led councils for boycotting Israel and some in the Conservative party hoped the bill would divide the Labour party. However, several senior Tories have also spoken out against it and are warning that it could inflame tensions between Jewish and Muslim communities already heightened by war in the Middle East.

The Conservative MP Crispin Blunt, the co-director of the International Centre of Justice for Palestinians, said: “This bill, as an example of exceptionalism for the state of Israel, is hard to beat. It also bakes impunity into our wider relationship and is disastrous for British influence and the ability to restrain our allies in the ghastly circumstances around Gaza.” He added: “It is all too obvious. The effect of this bill on community relations will in reality be utterly toxic. It is completely irrational to continue with this bill now.”

Another Tory MP called the decision to press ahead with the bill “loving madness”. “I’m worried there will actually be violence on the streets if we go ahead,” the person said.

A government spokesperson said: “This bill will tackle the real risk to community cohesion posed by public institutions using taxpayer money to pursue their own foreign policy agenda and will ensure the UK speaks with one voice internationally. We will continue to engage with and listen to stakeholders, parliamentarians and communities across the UK throughout the passage of the bill.”

However, Gove is not solely responsible for the bill or its timing, and Downing Street is understood to have been instrumental in deciding to bring it back to the Commons next week.

The government has been criticised for only specifically naming Israel in the bill, as well as referring to the occupied Palestinian territories as if they were indisputably part of Israel.
actual tory mps: this is complete madness, you don't know what you could unleash, the streets will run with blood!

no 10: this will cause some internal division within labor and potentially increase our chances of holding on to power by a fraction of a percent :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I/P

(tweet)

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1715028823505264898?s=20

Was getting a lot of unsubtle propaganda on YT Shorts the past few days, i just hit the DNR button and moved on. :rolleyes:

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Miftan posted:

So for example this sort of thing is perfectly fine with me. I know it's a delicate tightrope act to ask for from people who aren't as immersed in the whole thing, so I'm happy to compromise and just ask for I/P stuff that isn't directly UK related to just be spoilered if you really must talk about it here.

I'm new here and don't speak for anyone but yeah, I think your distinction makes sense and your request isn't onerous. If we can't agree on simple ways of being kind to each other, the misery devours us all.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

grobbo posted:

I'm new here and don't speak for anyone but yeah, I think your distinction makes sense and your request isn't onerous. If we can't agree on simple ways of being kind to each other, the misery devours us all.

You should post more, especially if you're agreeing with me. :justpost:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'm sorry Miftan.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
aye I like to be able to pick and choose my flavours of misery sometimes, really focus on the individual nuances of the collapse without it all merging into one horrific unending nightmare

if I want that, I can take a stroll outside

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Tesseraction posted:

So what you're saying is, car park at half seven?

What if we et chocolate oranges by the trolley returns?

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

Miftan posted:

You should post more, especially if you're agreeing with me. :justpost:

Long-time lurker dropping in to say you've always seemed like a decent, level-headed poster. Stay safe dude.

Even if you are wrong about chocolate oranges.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1715053510004203521

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Monica Bellucci posted:

What if we et chocolate oranges by the trolley returns?

Haha just kidding.. unless..?

Anyway it's very heartening to hear the silent majority of the ukmt are behind me in non-food related matters. This definitely won't become a regular part of my thread rhetoric

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like chocolate oranges, and also chocolate flavour with orange flavour generall

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Look I've said this a million times, artificial fruit flavouring and chocolate don't go together. Sorry. Chocolate dipped strawberries? Excellent, scrumptious, no notes. Strawberry flavoured chocolate, or worse, those strawberry cream things? Terrible, wouldn't feed it a terf, please stop making them.

This is true of every fruit flavoured chocolate (yes, even that one that you're thinking of. Especially if it's mint!)

Also a hot dog is a sandwich and the best way to eat a pizza is to calzone it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Miftan posted:

Look I've said this a million times, artificial fruit flavouring and chocolate don't go together. Sorry. Chocolate dipped strawberries? Excellent, scrumptious, no notes. Strawberry flavoured chocolate, or worse, those strawberry cream things? Terrible, wouldn't feed it a terf, please stop making them.

This is true of every fruit flavoured chocolate (yes, even that one that you're thinking of. Especially if it's mint!)

Reported :colbert:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Labour slowly having to square the circle of "everything Jeremy Corbyn is bad" with "maybe bootlicking an ethnofascist apartheid state is anathema to our ethnic minority voters"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they doing mint oranges this year i noticed

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mint chocolate is bangin' in the right ratio

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Miftan posted:

Chemical flavour and actual flavour are different, yes, but strawberry anything can gently caress completely off. Pretty much everything ending in -berry* can gently caress off, except for that blue Mr Freeze which was raspberry, apparently?

*No, not Matt or Chuck, I'm not that sort of silly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

strawberry 'liquorice' is godly tho

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Monica Bellucci posted:

*No, not Matt or Chuck, I'm not that sort of silly.

"Chuck! Chuck!

It's your cousin

Your cousin, Matt Berry!

Yeeesssss

Yesssssssss

Yeeaaahssssss"

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Sorry Miftan, I hit post and found out there was a poo poo load other posts made since then. I'd much rather post with you about chocolate oranges than atrocities overseas.

As an aside, I work at a software consultancy and I've found out that one of the client's programmers is still active on Teams a) at midnight, and b) while sick with COVID. Feels bad, man.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Strawberry and white chocolate Lindt balls are mana sent from the heavens and I would attack and dethrone god to keep them in this world.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i have made myself feel like poo poo over the last couple days reading too many posts about I/P so i can't imagine how it must feel for someone so closely connected to it

so with that in mind: i think mint aero is really good

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Love a good strawberry cream but coffee creams are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Strawberry and white chocolate Lindt balls are mana sent from the heavens and I would attack and dethrone god to keep them in this world.

White chocolate is great, yes.