Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Never let go of a good wok, those things can last a lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Don’t spoil a good wok or it will turn into golf

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

freeedr posted:

How do I spoil a wok? Let it stay up past its bedtime? Give it cookies whenever it asks?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

How do I spoil a wok? Let it stay up past its bedtime? Give it cookies whenever it asks?

Don't let the wok go woke, or it will broke

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

freeedr posted:

I laughed at this but I didn’t feel good about it

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Don't let the wok go woke, or it will broke

Go wok go bok choi

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Go wok go bok choi

Hey, leave me outta this

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/theeroamer/status/1714673595560141127?s=20

https://twitter.com/theeroamer/status/1714709795012571590?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/airbagged/status/1714994352424980572

Watched Collateral for the first time the other night, Michael Mann owns

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

zoux posted:

Does it ever. I slept on his Miami Vice remake but it actually kicks rear end too

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

well this isn't leaving my head now

taste the biscuit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/airbagged/status/1714994352424980572

When "Heat" was added to Netflix, like a week later I just randomly got a text message from my mom saying something along the lines of "Watched this movie 'Heat' with your dad last night, have you heard of it? Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro, a little violent for me but really good, you'd probably like it."

I'm a male American who's almost 40, I've seen Heat many times. Including I'm pretty sure at least once with my dad. Also, I'm pretty sure my mom was the person who first got me into Miami Vice.

MNIMWA posted:

Does it ever. I slept on his Miami Vice remake but it actually kicks rear end too

You should check out the tv show too. Just a really well shot show with great music and a jaw dropping number of cameos by major movie stars before they were movie stars. Bruce Willis plays a psychotic gun runner and Liam Neeson plays a former IRA terrorist are just two off the top of my head.

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Oct 19, 2023

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
perhaps your mother has a.... GREAT rear end

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Air Skwirl posted:

You should check out the tv show too. Just a really well shot show with great music and a jaw dropping number of cameos by major movie stars before they were movie stars. Bruce Willis plays a psychotic gun runner and Liam Neeson plays a former IRA terrorist are just two off the top of my head.

Don't forget Phil Collins, creating an evil nexus of Eighties the likes of which will never be seen again.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Air Skwirl posted:

apparently g gordon liddy has a role as a dude selling arms to the contra that aired a month before the iran contra scandal broke lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

apparently g gordon liddy has a role as a dude selling arms to the contra that aired a month before the iran contra scandal broke lol

Having just listened to the Behind the Bastards podcast on Liddy, that is insanely on brand.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Air Skwirl posted:

Also Phil Collins, two ways!

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NeqMAAsBk

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

Having just listened to the Behind the Bastards podcast on Liddy, that is insanely on brand.

thats how i found out about it and also lol at him winning celebrity fear factor

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://bsky.app/profile/fredtaming.bsky.social/post/3kc4xrkx5uc2k

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This is incredibly accurate and also a real banger

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

I was at a classic gaming expo a number of years ago and one of the original Atari guys (I think it was Al Alcorn) gave a talk in which he told this story. He also said *everyone* at Atari was pretty much high all the time back in the 2600 era. Engineers and techs smoked weed, the suits did coke, and everybody knew it. It was so well known and joked about internally that he made up some flyers of a fake job posting - something along the lines of "Atari seeks someone with experience flying small planes for the newly formed Recreational Pharmaceuticals division" - and put them in everyone's (physical) inbox. The suits were *not* amused, but they never figured out it was him that did it.

Azathoth Prime has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Oct 19, 2023

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Please screenshot whatever this is for us that have no account

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
:argh:

Leon Sumbitches posted:

no, go get an account in the bluesky invites thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041729

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

bluesky links in my browser dont have an option to open in app which is annoying

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Air Skwirl posted:

When "Heat" was added to Netflix, like a week later I just randomly got a text message from my mom saying something along the lines of "Watched this movie 'Heat' with your dad last night, have you heard of it? Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro, a little violent for me but really good, you'd probably like it."

I'm a male American who's almost 40, I've seen Heat many times. Including I'm pretty sure at least once with my dad. Also, I'm pretty sure my mom was the person who first got me into Miami Vice.

I have no idea how this specifically happened, but the main context I know Heat from is specifically 'people being late to watching it but then wanting to share it as if it's new'. I think it started with an old stand-up comedy joke about video rentals.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Heat, like most Michael Mann movies, wasn't nearly as beloved when it came out as it is today. It's reputation was badass shootout but way too flabby and DeNiro and Pacino barely even share the screen.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
This is one of the first movies from my youth that I would see parts of it all the time but never the whole thing at once like when it was on HBO. I know the movie because I've seen it a dozen times. Just not as a whole or in the same spots.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Even today the shootout is the only part I've heard people talk about. What happens before and after will forever remain a mystery.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

As great as the shoot out is, the rest of Heat is really, really loving good too. And, in regards to Pacino and DeNero not sharing enough screen time, that's true of a lot of movies antagonistic characters. Bruce Willis is never on screen with Gary Oldman in Fifth Element, barely on screen with Alan Rickman in Die Hard, (hell half their shared screen time was a last minute addition when they realized Rickman could do a decent American accent). I don't think Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader were necessarily on the set at the same time in the first Star Wars.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've never actually watched Heat, but I'm not even 10 minutes in yet and holy poo poo I recognize everybody lmao

Wait hang on I thought the new guy on the job was the same actor as the lead detective or whatever cop leading the investigation in the original Fast & Furious, you telling me he's playing a completely different character, that is a cop, in this movie?

Wait, what the gently caress is going on

Okay the guy playing Waingro has a similar look to Ted Levine/Bosko

finale e: excuse me, are you telling me Waingro was staying at a hotel in running distance from LAX? I really like the tension of the final scene but lmao at how they got there. Also I didn't realize until like halfway through that this movie is almost three hours long, but I don't regret it. No loving clue what was up with Natalie Portman's last parts in the movie, though.

stringless has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Oct 20, 2023

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Cleretic posted:

I have no idea how this specifically happened, but the main context I know Heat from is specifically 'people being late to watching it but then wanting to share it as if it's new'. I think it started with an old stand-up comedy joke about video rentals.

https://youtu.be/Imhcq5s9OLs?si=bYmiQx6yw5p9qGdL

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm always happy to talk about Heat, it was just very weird to me that my mom thought this movie starring Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino, with Val Kilmer, John Voight, Tom Sizemore and a very young Natalie Portman was somehow an unknown gem I'd never heard of.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

"Go back and eat some cheddar and oreos."

drat!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
'e iz ze big mad, hon hon hon

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Headline writer and frenchy are both correct

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
dunno about the privilege argument being put forth but french food rules. even like plain bread is so good there. if i wouldn't die of scurvy doing it I could eat salt and french butter on a rustic baguette or whatever they call the old style one, for every meal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I actually really like oreos. I eat them off of the floor like a animal