Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just wanted to point out that the 7a is super repairable (even moreso than the 6a). So that in a rugged case with a tempered glass screen protector would be a pretty nice combo.

https://youtu.be/cKEX8jNNzck?si=Ko170nS3YDX0FjAB

Screen kits are only $109 from iFixit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What even the gently caress is a picture anymore? The generative AI magic eraser on the Pixel 8 pro is loving bonkers.

Before

After

I had to erase pieces at a time to get the desired result (wasn't just highlight all and go), but holy gently caress. It just generated new parts of my hand out of nothing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

What even the gently caress is a picture anymore? The generative AI magic eraser on the Pixel 8 pro is loving bonkers.

Before

After

I had to erase pieces at a time to get the desired result (wasn't just highlight all and go), but holy gently caress. It just generated new parts of my hand out of nothing.

What the actual gently caress? That's either magic or drugs.

I'm on a Pixel 8 now. Have to test battery life over the next few days before I decide to definitely keep it. Screen is great. I'm surprised how close in size it is to the base model iPhones.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bull3964 posted:

Before

After

For absolutely loving up hands in every conceivable way all the time, AI photo generation really pulled through here. Wow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Like I said, it couldn't handle removing the wire all at once. I basically had to do each direction one at a time and then concentrate on the center. I couldn't get it to fill in the spot in the center properly until I included the shadow of the wire to the right, then I was floored by what it produced.

The biggest flaw I can see is that it really didn't create a crease for my first knuckle, but it's easy to overlook at first pass.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

my pixel 7 on android 14 is, i think, interfering with the way my todo app (ticktick) sends and persists notifications.

i have two separate reminders every morning to take two pills. on android 13, the notifications would pop up over my main screen content from the bottom *and* exist/persist as an actionable item in my status bar/notification pulldown. i would dismiss the on-screen popup while leaving the notification there for when i did the thing like 20 min later or whatever.

now, in android 14, i get the same two notifications per reminder, but the items in the status bar just.. vanish after a little while. i missed a dose the other day bc i would normally see the status bar icons before leaving my apartment and be reminded that i haven't taken action yet, so then i would pull the notification shade down and tap "complete" on the thing. but now they're gone so i'm not reminded.

it's really frustrating me, and i did all the suggestions in the app for disabling battery saver and allowing the app to display over other content, etc.

not sure if anyone here knows about the technical aspects of the update, but i wonder if something changed where the developers haven't done some necessary adjustments or what. can't understand why that would be the case but the app works wonders for my productivity in all other areas and i'd hate to find another one.

one thing that's clueing me into a potential need for the devs to update something is that i'm also no longer able to add a shortcut widget to my homescreen for that app. i select it and place it on my homescreen, it prompts me to choose which list i want it to action when pressed, i confirm, and it immediately just disappears. bizarre.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

one thing that's clueing me into a potential need for the devs to update something is that i'm also no longer able to add a shortcut widget to my homescreen for that app. i select it and place it on my homescreen, it prompts me to choose which list i want it to action when pressed, i confirm, and it immediately just disappears. bizarre.

I only just Installed Tick Tick last night, so I haven't been able to really try anything, but I just added a shortcut to my homescreen, and it seems to work fine on a Pixel 8 Pro, Android 14. Maybe the app needs a clear storage / reinstall?

Random Aside: Does anyone remember how a few years ago, you could tap the clock in the notification shade, and it would open your alarm app? Then Google did a Google and removed it for some reason.

I don't know if this happened way earlier and I just never noticed, but it's back!!

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 19, 2023

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Resonance22 posted:

Random Aside: Does anyone remember how a few years ago, you could tap the clock in the notification shade, and it would open your alarm app? Then Google did a Google and removed it for some reason.

I don't know if this happened way earlier and I just never noticed, but it's back!!

Oh nice, thank you for this! I have been irrationally annoyed that I had to add the clock app to my home screen way back when they did that. Now I can finally remove it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, that came back pretty early in the 14 betas.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That shadow on your finger in the thumbnail makes it looks like you had one of those OSHA mishaps that involves finger slicing.

Unrelated. My OnePlus 11 is still on the August 5 security update. After initially starting strong with updates, I find their bi-monthly update strategy lacking. Shame really; for the discounted price I bought the phone at launch and the performance and battery life it provides, it's a really decent phone that I quite enjoyed using for a while. I have to put a foot down firmly in the team-pixel camp, whatever minor shortcomings their phones have. My beloved OnePlus 7 Pro will never be replicated, and as odd as it sounds, that's a device that I've had a true affinity to since I bought it in 2019. OnePlus should have made more 7 Pro's and kept pushing the boundaries.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reminder that the OnePlus Open event is at 10am EDT tomorrow.

If you subscribe to the event (and later purchase), you get a $50 credit, Free Buds 2 Pro, and guaranteed at least $200 trade in on any phone in any condition. The OnePlus Open is expected to be $1699.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I really liked the design of the various 7 models. Even the silly McClaren version with 5G wasn't too bad to look at.

But like Mr Mobile Fisher I miss when phones were fun. The Pixel AI stuff is pretty loving cool though.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Resonance22 posted:

I only just Installed Tick Tick last night, so I haven't been able to really try anything, but I just added a shortcut to my homescreen, and it seems to work fine on a Pixel 8 Pro, Android 14. Maybe the app needs a clear storage / reinstall?

happy to hear about other ticktick users. i'm a paid customer for two years going on three now, it's been fantastic. i really hope they fix it soon.

- either long press the home screen, tap widgets, find ticktick
- OR long press the ticktick app, tap widgets
- find the "ticktick shortcut" widget at the bottom
- long press and position on home screen
- confirm action and list
- click the checkbox
- *poof*

this worked fine on android 13. this happens after uninstall/reinstall, clearing cache, restarting phone, etc. makes me very sad

https://i.imgur.com/8iWieQ7.mp4

(yes it bums me out that the lifx app is not color coded for material you)

Resonance22 posted:

i never knew about this, but when i just tried it, it opened ticktick bc i have another alarm set for later tonight (9pm)

it's kind of neat but kind of frustrating. there's also an alarm clock icon below my big clock on the pixel home screen. it has the time of my next ticktick alarm (9pm) but when i tap on it, it opens my clock app, which does not show an alarm for 9pm.

looks like the devs are still figuring that one out since it clearly works in the notification shade that points to whatever app has the most recently occurring alarm.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Oh! I'm using Nova Launcher, so it seems to work fine there.

I tried it on the Pixel Launcher, and same as you, it just disappears. I actually can't get any Shortcut to work on the Pixel Launcher.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I don't know what tick tick provides, or if this works in android 14 but. Habits has notifications that cant be dismissed and pretty good tracking/stats of your reminders. I use mine for taking meds as well. Might be a hold over at least till your main app fixes whatever

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Resonance22 posted:

I actually can't get any Shortcut to work on the Pixel Launcher.

is there a difference between a shortcut and a widget? i can get ticktick widgets to work but the shortcut specifically won't stay

Resdfru posted:

I don't know what tick tick provides, or if this works in android 14 but. Habits has notifications that cant be dismissed and pretty good tracking/stats of your reminders. I use mine for taking meds as well. Might be a hold over at least till your main app fixes whatever

is "habits" the name of the app or..? i can't find anything with just that name in the store.

ticktick probably isn't much different than other popular todo apps like todoist or whatever else. but it has a slick interface, syncs between android and macOS for my work computer. useful keyboard shortcuts on mac as well as the (currently defunct) shortcut to quickly add tasks from the android home screen. i use that feature constantly.

it also gives you neat stats about how much poo poo you actually got done in the course of a year in a sort of "spotify wrapped" style recap which is nice.

i saw it on an mkbhd video once and i had been through a number of other apps in the past that never stuck. this one, for whatever reason (the reasons mentioned above, i guess) gets me through my stuff

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Just wanted to point out that the 7a is super repairable (even moreso than the 6a).

If this holds true, or is maybe even improved, for the 8a, that should make that a great value proposition.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ShoogaSlim posted:

is "habits" the name of the app or..? i can't find anything with just that name in the store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.isoron.uhabits

I use it too, is good

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The WhatsApp icon doesn't show up on my always on display. Have I knocked a setting off or something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

$800 trade for OnePlus 11 and $200 off the device itself if you preorder. So yeah, after $50 coupon, that's $736.99 which includeds buds 2 as well.

Yup, no brainer for me. I should have the open in a week or so (says it will arrive the 27th though I'll be out of town till the 29th.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9n01Mck0Q

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Non-Dismissable notifications became dismissible in Android 14

I.e. If you compulsively swipe stuff out of the shade relying on how it used to work, the killer was you all along.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

$800 trade for OnePlus 11 and $200 off the device itself if you preorder. ]

That's pretty wild. I got my 256GB for $699 at launch.

EDIT: WHOA

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 19, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wait, what?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol not getting as big a discount. And wondering if I should just list my 9P as perfect though it has one scratch on the screen (just let them take off whatever they're going to drop).

Also I shouldn't, but caaaaaaan afford it. The lack of wireless charging is a minor bummer but not a dealbreaker.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Wait, what?

I...I don't know.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mental Hospitality posted:

I...I don't know.

do it :f5:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Well I didn't plan on buying a folding phone today but I guess I did.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That is 100% a glitch because the trade in bonus is $500 on top of the base $300 they are giving in trade. I can reproduce the glitch now if I were to go through the checkout process, but I can't cancel my original order anymore so I can't swap out.

For reference, here's what mine order looks like.

Subtotal $1,879.98
Total Savings -$1,229.99
Item Discount -$379.99
Coupon -$50.00
Trade-in Discount -$800.00
Shipping Fee $0.00
Sales Tax $87.00
Total $736.99

By all means pull the trigger, but don't be surprised if they come back and say your trade is only valued at $800 rather than $1300.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

That is 100% a glitch because the trade in bonus is $500 on top of the base $300 they are giving in trade. I can reproduce the glitch now if I were to go through the checkout process, but I can't cancel my original order anymore so I can't swap out.

By all means pull the trigger, but don't be surprised if they come back and say your trade is only valued at $800 rather than $1300.

Hmm. Wonder if I should cancel the order. A 300 dollar folding phone is a no-brainer, but at 800 dollars it's not something I really need.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I'm not sure. They may honor it, they may not.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure. They may honor it, they may not.

I don't really feel like chancing it and just cancelled. It's very weird, still showing $1300 for a trade in (on a 700 dollar msrp phone). Maybe I'll check back later.

E: People on reddit are starting to notice the extra 500 dollar mystery bonus, with some people paying 0 dollars at order with a trade-in. This all seems very sus.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 19, 2023

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

:laffo: Marques's review device already has broken pixels in the crease after "three weeks of babying it".

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Vagrancy posted:

I.e. If you compulsively swipe stuff out of the shade relying on how it used to work, the killer was you all along.

Oh dang, cool change. I hate apps that set notifications that cant be dismissed when I didn't ask for them. Glad it doesn't apply to clear all cause that won't affect my habits notification

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Grim Up North posted:

:laffo: Marques's review device already has broken pixels in the crease after "three weeks of babying it".

And Ron broke his Pixel fold after a few days and mine is still going strong.

Foldables have failures. This isn't really their "first" foldable since Oppo has been making them for awhile. So, I don't really feel the risk is any higher here than Samsung or Google.

Go trawl Z Fold owners on reddit and you'll find failed Z Fold 5 displays after a few days or weeks old too. It happens.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

interesting. i did notice being able to dismiss android auto notifications that previously wouldn't swipe away in a13

but the problem is im not manually dismissing these notifications, they're just going away after a while on their own.

i wonder if the devs were hacking them to be sticky somehow by way of non dismissable controls? i was still able to swipe them away before, too, tho.

hate all of this.

ah yes. i have this and used it in the past but ticktick is useful bc its the same app as my work kanban board that also syncs my work and personal calendar into my todo due date items.

loop (why wouldn't you call it by its name?) is good but too bare bones to be the catch all ive come to rely on

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Played with the new pixels at Best buy today, it's tragic that they saved the good screen for the pro. C'mon Google. :( just release two good phones.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

smoobles posted:

Played with the new pixels at Best buy today, it's tragic that they saved the good screen for the pro. C'mon Google. :( just release two good phones.

The main differences are peak brightness and lower potential refresh rate on the Pro. The screen on the 8 is really nice and it feels like the oleophobic coating is next level, it just feels so silky smooth. Only a few short years ago Pixels had pretty shite displays in comparison to their peers.

Remember the blue tint on the 2XL? The screen door effect on the base model 3? The screen gap on the Pixel 5?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

yeah i didn't see anything wrong or "not good" with the screen on the 8 when i played with one at best buy

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the 8 Pro screen is so good. i'm so glad it lost the curved edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

OnePlus fixed their website so it's no longer offering insane trade-in bonuses. Will be interesting to see how they handle the orders that already went through. Honestly, I'm kind of relieved I just cancelled my order almost immediately because I don't want to deal with any of their fuckup bullshittery.