Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Got my orbit sale yesterday. No supercop but I am very happy with the other two.

Also this poster is great, I love whatever this style was with Jackie Chan movies having the big heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's definitely a part of me that likes Dragons Forever more than Supercop, mainly because I just love Sammo Hung in it. It doesn't have anything close to the big action finale of Supercop but Dragons Forever is more fun overall.

Edit: Not sure why my foggy brain made me say Chow Yun Fat instead of Sammo Hung

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 19, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Dragons Forever rules because Yuen Biao rules

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yuen Biao rules

:hmmyes:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dragons Forever rules because Yuen Biao rules

A man of taste and distinction.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I definitely rank dragons over supercop because those three are absolutely hilarious. I'd love to see them do a movie as old farts. The scene in dragons where Jackie is trying to hide Sammo had me laughing so hard I replayed it three or four times.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah I definitely rank dragons over supercop because those three are absolutely hilarious. I'd love to see them do a movie as old farts. The scene in dragons where Jackie is trying to hide Sammo had me laughing so hard I replayed it three or four times.

:agreed:

I also just love Yuen playing an eccentric weirdo. His intro scene is amazing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've watched Dragons Forever twice since I bought it in January and I'm already itching to watch it again but I'm forcing myself to wait at least until 2024. Don't want to burn it out!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

I've watched Dragons Forever twice since I bought it in January and I'm already itching to watch it again but I'm forcing myself to wait at least until 2024. Don't want to burn it out!

This was me with Righting Wrongs, Royal Warriors, and Yes, Madam. I immediately had to show them to my buds right after I watched them.

This recent windfall of HK action movies getting boutique releases has been equal parts incredible and expensive for me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just blind bought the Best Buy ‘M3gan’ steelbook thanks to you assholes telling me it exists.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

it's a shame the movie's not very good :/

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

you're not correct! It's actually very good!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

it's very, very, very hard to pull off a relatively big budget b-movie, and they failed. the only scene that remotely comes close to being awesome, awkward, and/or fun is that super weird dialogue about a...cockroach, i think? maybe a backpack? whatever it was was bizarre as hell, completely unexpected, and great.

the rest of it is just hackneyed and blah.

just my $.02!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd give M3GAN a solid 7/10 but I will say that I'll be very excited to see what they do with a sequel. It seems like that first movie was kinda holding itself back a bit and now that it was successful maybe they can really get wild and crazy because the premise and the M3GAN character has endless possibilities.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
M3GAN was a lot of fun! Nothing incredible, but competent and struck a nice tonal balance that we don't get much of these days. It definitely suffers a bit from just delivering a very straightforward, predictable execution of its premise, but it was a very good time at the movies. I think a sequel could mix it up in a Child's Play 2/Ghoulies II/Critters 2 kind of way, where now that the obvious execution of the story has been done, they get to play around and get a bit more inventive.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

They just need to keep letting Gerard Johnstone cook. Housebound and M3GAN are both very fun and weird and I want to see him get weirder. :getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I didn’t hate M3GAN but it wasn’t great and I have no desire to rewatch it. It was a perfectly average “I’ll watch this with edibles once” movie.

It reminded me a lot of the (slightly better) Child’s Play remake with Mark Hamill.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

M3GAN rules and is probably the movie I've watched the most times in the last several years. I think I saw it twice in theaters, and at home I've seen the PG-13 cut once and the unrated cut twice, so that's, what, 5 times in one year? lol

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Megan was a turd. I won't even spell its name correctly just as an insult to the movie.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
It had one good scene, in the woods with the robotic-like running. There was some other reasonable bits and bobs but overall it was kind of slow (slow enough that when I initially started watching it with a friend, about half an hour in he announced it was so bad he would no longer watch any more).

I don't hate it, but I feel like they could have done a lot more with it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Akela Cooper/James Wan is a power combo. Intentional Camp is nigh loving impossible but they nail the poo poo outta it with M3GAN and especially Malignant.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M3gan is good.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Miligant? Was better than Megan. (Same writer)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
M3gan walks a nice line between being wild and funny and still being kinda tense. And as in Malignant the central "monster" is a very good physical performance., in this case exploiting the uncanny valley.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
M3gan never got zany enough for me. Malignant does what M3gdon't

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Is that Eureka UK Andrzej Zulawski set worth whatever I'll end up having to pay on the secondary market for? I slept on that release and now it's OOP.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What the heck I didn’t even realize that box set came out. Thank god I bought a bootleg copy of Diabel when I did or I’d be even more pissed.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Hong Kong movie chat: there's few things that make me happier than 88 Films, Eureka UK and other labels putting these out. Eureka has been absolutely crushing it with their releases the last few years. Hopping Vampire films... 70s Wuxia... Girls with Guns... So many good titles. Now they're putting out Stephen Chow 90s movies. It's an amazing time to be a fan of these. 88 Films is just as good. I bought all of the Eureka In the Line of Duty movies, and then I picked up the 88 Films set as well. Yes Madam is one of my favorites and it was treated so well by both labels. That Fight Back to School set that 88 Films put out is amazing. Do not pass this set up. And Magic Cop was so much better than I thought it would be. It was so good, I watched it twice in a week. My copies of From Beijing with Love and Beach of the War Gods arrived today. Cannot wait to sit down and watch those two this weekend. Having an impossibly annoying week at work, but knowing I have these waiting for me will make it worth all the dummy real life stuff I'm currently dealing with. Also happy with the stuff from Unearthed Films and Massacre Video. I don't know if I'm exactly happy to own the Men Behind the Sun series (and I got a "why would you want to buy that stuff" disapproving question from my wife), but having high quality editions of those movies... it's a blessed time to be a film fan right now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Vinegar Syndrome’s got some good ones coming as well, looks like. Magic Crystal is insane.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
M3gan was just a dull version of the Child's Play reboot.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I loved (still love) M3GAN. One of the easier five stars I've given to a theatrical release at the beginning of the year

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

speaking of vs, when do we find out what all is included in the vs everything set from about a month ago?

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I've been buying practically every 88 and VS HK release this year and a lot of Eureka ones and it's become my go-to genre to buy, you can't go wrong they're all good. After watching Fight Back to School It's got me wanting to get the Royal Tramp set that's coming up and going to pair it with Sonny Chiba Vol 2 from Shout.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I want someone to pick up Future Cops

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
drat I need a region free player bad

What are the go to wuxia movies? I have King Hu and then anything that got a major western release (the post crouching tiger glut mostly) covered but what else is out there?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ultraviolence123 posted:

Is that Eureka UK Andrzej Zulawski set worth whatever I'll end up having to pay on the secondary market for? I slept on that release and now it's OOP.

I haven't seen either of the other two but it's worth the price alone just for the The Devil restoration

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

If you don't mind waiting, Eureka will almost certainly reissue it in basic packaging (much like Arrow and Indicator) within a month or two.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah, I'm going to do that unless one of the distros I buy from gets more in stock (Diabolik tends to get older stock often). Last auction I was watching had it go for over $100 plus way too much shipping and I just can't justify that right now. Today Mondo Macabro is doing a bundle drop preorder and it's the only way to get the Death Squad UHD, and I'm also hoping that one of the distros gets the Arrow Hellraiser UHD set in (neglected to preorder that, big dummy mistake right there), so I'm looking at right $200 flying out of my account in probably the next 48 hours for movies. I wish I had picked up that Eureka UK set when I saw it in stock, but didn't think it would sell out so quickly. This is why FOMO controls my life.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ultraviolence123 posted:

Hong Kong movie chat: there's few things that make me happier than 88 Films, Eureka UK and other labels putting these out. Eureka has been absolutely crushing it with their releases the last few years. Hopping Vampire films... 70s Wuxia... Girls with Guns... So many good titles. Now they're putting out Stephen Chow 90s movies. It's an amazing time to be a fan of these. 88 Films is just as good. I bought all of the Eureka In the Line of Duty movies, and then I picked up the 88 Films set as well. Yes Madam is one of my favorites and it was treated so well by both labels. That Fight Back to School set that 88 Films put out is amazing. Do not pass this set up. And Magic Cop was so much better than I thought it would be. It was so good, I watched it twice in a week. My copies of From Beijing with Love and Beach of the War Gods arrived today. Cannot wait to sit down and watch those two this weekend. Having an impossibly annoying week at work, but knowing I have these waiting for me will make it worth all the dummy real life stuff I'm currently dealing with. Also happy with the stuff from Unearthed Films and Massacre Video. I don't know if I'm exactly happy to own the Men Behind the Sun series (and I got a "why would you want to buy that stuff" disapproving question from my wife), but having high quality editions of those movies... it's a blessed time to be a film fan right now.

Happy to hear! I love Stephen Chow, been wanting to see his so many fun movies released here for years. Some of my favs I'd love to see on good blu-ray are God of Cookery, Fist of Fury 91, Love on Delivery, and All For the Winner.

Just rewatched Fight Back to School with friends a bit ago too, classic. I remembered 2 being a little less good, and 3 being a really funny Zucker-esque parody movie. Haven't seen those in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Fight Back to School 3 was soooo good it could easily have its own standalone release, so much talent on that cast. The first one was good too but the second one I thought was terrible.