Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Bring back the giant Kangaroos and have everyone get hopped around by giant roos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Public transport is disgusting

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hooman posted:

Also, stop loving about with means tested oooh tax on this, tax exempt on that bullshit. Poor people have to travel further to work, often have worse access to public transit, so raise taxes on the rich and invest in public transport, bing bong, loving simple. I hate this policy brain bullshit.

Public transport breaks down, requires track-work, requires drivers, requires fuel inputs, requires digging tunnels and/or ripping up streets, requires policy-brained planning bullshit, doesn't run 24/7, you have to wait for it, gets crowded, doesn't make people healthy, and doesn't service everywhere.

Invest in a Cycle Superhighway, bing bong, loving simple.

A few meters of flat ground. That's it. (and a handful of overpasses, fine). Will continue to work in the event of:

Any disruption to global petroleum distribution network
Financial Collapse
Zombie Apocalypse
Nuclear Winter

And will free up enough space on the roads that we won't even care about who needs to drive.

Reclaims communities from cars, revitalises local economies, facilitates genuine freedom of movement, saves the government and households billions of dollars per year, and allows the next generation of sporting heroes to get to weeknight practice.

But philosophically yes I agree with your broader point. We should just do the cycle thing first, solve as many problems as we can with that, and then make the rest of the decisions based on how that goes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Public transport breaks down, requires track-work, requires drivers, requires fuel inputs, requires digging tunnels and/or ripping up streets, requires policy-brained planning bullshit, doesn't run 24/7, you have to wait for it, gets crowded, doesn't make people healthy, and doesn't service everywhere.

A few meters of flat ground. That's it. (and a handful of overpasses, fine). Will continue to work in the event of:

Financial Collapse
Zombie Apocalypse
Nuclear Winter

And will free up enough space on the roads that we won't even care about who needs to drive.

Reclaims communities from cars, revitalises local economies, facilitates genuine freedom of movement, saves the government and households billions of dollars per year, and allows the next generation of sporting heroes to get to weeknight practice.

But philosophically yes I agree with your broader point. We should just do the cycle thing first, solve as many problems as we can with that, and then make the rest of the decisions based on how that goes.

I know cycling is your hobby horse, I love it too and would love to be able to ride to work again without inevitably consigning myself to being smashed into paste but we do need more than just cycling options.

I should be clear that I consider things like accessable and safe bike and walking paths a part of public transport, in that it is created to be accessable to all. Which means seperated bike and walk paths running along major arteries as well as end of trip infrastructure to support it. However I recognise that not all people can or are willing to cycle and you need to take an approach that includes everyone which means it has to include buses, trains, trams etc.

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 19, 2023

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I like public transport, but continue to wear a mask on it.
Also, I may like public transport because I get it for free.

How, you may ask?
I don't touch on.

I have schizophrenia and forget. If you, too, have a disability that includes forgetting to touch on or a history of fines due to not touching on (and you're in Victoria), you can get your Dr to sign a form for an Access Travel Pass. Free public transport in Victoria is awesome. I just wish it was for everyone.

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/concessions-and-free-travel/access-travel-pass/

"To be eligible for an Access Travel Pass you must:

have a significant permanent physical disability, cognitive condition or mental illness
be unable to consistently touch on or off due to your condition
be able to travel independently on public transport, without assistance from a carer or companion
be a Victorian resident."

23 Skidoo fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 19, 2023

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
If only someone contacted their State MP on a possible bike pathway for the Sydney Region. Note: I am not a crackpot.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
what if we made the roads out of tyre rubber so there is less friction?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Brucolac posted:

Wear on the road is primarily correlated with vehicle weight. Tyre type would be a footnote.

I know, but a tyre tax is stupid as gently caress. You want people with better tyres, not the cheapest they can find.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
5000% truck nutz tax

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This Twitter account ran the numbers on which polling places leaned yes/no in the referendum, this won't come as a surprise to anyone here

https://twitter.com/DeadInLongRun/status/1714112545534218677

Links to their sources here

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Put a chicken wire canopy over every road and everyone can simply drive around in dodgem cars

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011
Those dash cam videos tell us that people already drive around like that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Put a chicken wire canopy over every road and everyone can simply drive around in dodgem cars

Fire all police road patrol officers, replace them with bogans who will jump onto the back of your car, grab the steering wheel out of your hand and steer you back into your lane whenever you gently caress up

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Throw all the rich people into wood chippers and use them to fertilise native forrests. Turn their mansions into multi-tenancy public housing. Kick anyone who owns a V8 in the nuts (They are all men).

I actually bought a copy of the Australian today (AUD$4.00). Surprisingly it isn't where there was a sensible and measured debate about the measures outlined above. Actually I have no idea what was in it. I needed something to put the litter trays on as I am currently fire evacuated. Perhaps mere proximity is all that is needed however as I would like to take this opportunity to deny climate change....

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
albo should nationalise telstra

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Albo should nationalise tesla

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Financial Collapse
Zombie Apocalypse
Nuclear Winter

Mate, these already exist. I see people cycling on the M4 out to Mt Druitt

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Throw all the rich people into wood chippers and use them to fertilise native forrests. Turn their mansions into multi-tenancy public housing. Kick anyone who owns a V8 in the nuts (They are all men).

I actually bought a copy of the Australian today (AUD$4.00). Surprisingly it isn't where there was a sensible and measured debate about the measures outlined above. Actually I have no idea what was in it. I needed something to put the litter trays on as I am currently fire evacuated. Perhaps mere proximity is all that is needed however as I would like to take this opportunity to deny climate change....

Taking the grid Australian wide you say

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Alright, clearly you've all put a lot more thought and effort into understanding the intricacies of tyres than I. I don't think using the existing tax system is a great idea though, rich fuckers rort it constantly. The point of the fuel excise was to match payment to use, how do you track electric vehicles usage other than straight up tracking chips?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Look, it's real easy. Make it a law that every time an EV recharges the owner has to buy the equivalent of a tankful of fuel and dump it down the drain. That way everyone's happy!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hooman posted:

Tyres are also releasing microplastics into the environment which we have no idea of the impacts of on health.

Lol, lmao.

Also, stop loving about with means tested oooh tax on this, tax exempt on that bullshit. Poor people have to travel further to work, often have worse access to public transit, so raise taxes on the rich and invest in public transport, bing bong, loving simple. I hate this policy brain bullshit.

All flat vehicle usage taxes are in practice regressive, so just use the existing tax system.

I’m sure the micro plastics will be fine. We just need a great filter to resolve it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wish ur posting had a great filter

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

I’m sure the micro plastics will be fine. We just need a great filter to resolve it.

Would you say that microplastics are a separate great filter to climate change obliterating us all, or all part of the same fossil fuels as the great filter?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Konomex posted:

Alright, clearly you've all put a lot more thought and effort into understanding the intricacies of tyres than I. I don't think using the existing tax system is a great idea though, rich fuckers rort it constantly. The point of the fuel excise was to match payment to use, how do you track electric vehicles usage other than straight up tracking chips?

How were Victoria going to charge their km tax?

From what i understand they were just going to make it an honour system thing which is far easier than some tax on a consumable that isn't really frequently consumed.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

When it came out it was something about either charging a minimum yearly amount eg 15,000km if you didn’t report or possibly even de-register your vehicle.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

go_banana posted:

If only someone contacted their State MP on a possible bike pathway for the Sydney Region. Note: I am not a crackpot.

appreciate the nudge, you gotta understand, I gently caress everything up, anything I do is a mess, it's crippled my confidence and my faith in anything happening, it can all feel a bit overwhelming, so I have to choose my approach to how I put things very carefully, in between everything else going on. Procrastinating is a part of loving it up too of course, but posting can sometimes help roll things around a bit to find some words.

If you want an update, I did reach out to the guy at transport NSW who I met with the first time, and two more who were in his Out of Office reply, asking if I can get into the tool that made this thing, because I do think that's the most important next step. It's a few weeks later and haven't heard back. But being able to communicate it in specific street level detail is essential for any serious conversation, otherwise it's just talking poo poo. And that tool is the only way I can see how to do that, unless anyone can figure out an easier way. Or unless of course you think we can talk about it without the street-level detail? Can I go straight to local groups / state MPs with the map as-is?

In the meantime I am drafting a letter to a friend/acquaintance with contacts and experience in both state and local levels of government, who has been one of the best and most effective advocates for cycling.

But look, the fact is that if you guys want good cycle infrastructure, don't rely on me for anything other than the map is my advice. It's a great map, that much I can promise, but I'm a disaster, so don't let it languish with my ridiculous lack of people skills. I'm gonna keep trying, but I just think we should be upfront about that.

hooman posted:

I know cycling is your hobby horse, I love it too and would love to be able to ride to work again without inevitably consigning myself to being smashed into paste but we do need more than just cycling options.

I should be clear that I consider things like accessable and safe bike and walking paths a part of public transport, in that it is created to be accessable to all. Which means seperated bike and walk paths running along major arteries as well as end of trip infrastructure to support it. However I recognise that not all people can or are willing to cycle and you need to take an approach that includes everyone which means it has to include buses, trains, trams etc.

Yep, get all that.

Oh and one other thing about PT like trams is that it involves sending lethally massive hunks of metal hurtling down busy pedestrian thoroughfares, which sucks. Or at least it's something I'm still not used to and don't think I ever will be. (I guess I'm talking about George st specifically here, light rail can work in some contexts obviously)

And about the "will continue to work in the event of: Any disruption to global petroleum distribution network, Financial Collapse, Zombie Apocalypse, Nuclear Winter"... We understand just how possible at least 3 of these are, right? One ship goes sideways in the Suez, or one virus gets out, and the whole thing goes to poo poo. It's all so goddamn precarious. Those are just accidents, imagine how easy it would be if someone was trying. Our entire society is based on imaginary numbers on a screen which are more easily spooked than a flock of fainting goats. And our transport system is based on pumping petrol which has an eye-wateringly complex and vulnerable supply chain.

Recoome posted:

Mate, these already exist. I see people cycling on the M4 out to Mt Druitt

The M4 actually has some of the more inspiring sections of path:

A proud soaring skyway, fully protected, so you can safely glide right over all the cars sitting in the traffic below. It shows what we can do if we're willing to put our minds to it.

But yes, this magnificent route basically abandons you around Wentworthville, and needs to be extended all the way out to Penrith. Mt Druitt is a few km north of that route though, you'd take the trainline cycleway to get there.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

23 Skidoo posted:

"To be eligible for an Access Travel Pass you must:

have a significant permanent physical disability, cognitive condition or mental illness
be unable to consistently touch on or off due to your condition
be able to travel independently on public transport, without assistance from a carer or companion
be a Victorian resident."

Holy poo poo, I'll see if WA has something like this. I have pretty bad ADHD and I'm tired of paying fines due to tagging on/off incorrectly. I'll either get hit with the maximum fare because I forget to tag off or get a fine due to forgetting to tag on.

Edit: WA does not have something like this.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 20, 2023

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

Holy poo poo, I'll see if WA has something like this. I have pretty bad ADHD and I'm tired of paying fines due to tagging on/off incorrectly. I'll either get hit with the maximum fare because I forget to tag off or get a fine due to forgetting to tag on.

Edit: WA does not have something like this.

https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/smartrider/types-of-smartrider/pensioner-smartrider

From what I can tell, that's about it. Sorry. :-(

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...tent=edit-promo

quote:

But at some point this past spring, Speiller noticed that the Facebook group, called “Bluey Memes💙,” had taken on a different character. At first the change was subtle—a slow drift into the culture wars. One post from April shows Bluey at the park with Bandit, who is pointing out of frame and saying, “Look at these butthurt groomers.” Another meme from May had a friend of Bluey’s thinking, “It’s okay to be white.” By then, the drift had become a rush: Fat-shaming Bluey memes had appeared, alongside anti-nose-ring memes, homophobic memes, Roe-reversal memes, and many more. By August, Speiller felt that she’d seen enough. “It was the picture of Bandit in the MAGA hat that made me quit,” she told me.

Facebook has scores of Bluey groups. [...] But among the largest of them all is “Bluey Memes💙,” a community of more than 300,000 Facebook users that has in recent months become a partisan free-for-all.

“I joined because, at first, it seemed like a fairly fun, wholesome group,” Lyra Jones, a 31-year-old parent from Green Bay, Wisconsin, told me. “Honestly, some of the memes and comments felt a little off sometimes, but there was nothing that really warned about how bad it was about to get.” Sometime last year, Jones, who uses they/them pronouns, started seeing memes and comments that were a lot off. But the turning point arrived, they said, when transphobic memes began to multiply. These days, such posts are easy to find on the group’s feed: A post from last month, for example, shows a dancing Bandit with the caption, “I was once a man trapped in a woman’s body … then I was born.” [...]

But the admins are not stepping in. In fact, the creator and sole moderator of “Bluey Memes💙,” Rachel Homolak, has posted anti-trans memes and political content herself. A parent from St. Charles, Missouri, Homolak created the group in 2021, and told me she saw its membership grow to 200,000 within a year. [...] Her overriding principle of moderation is simple, she said: “I am a firm believer in the first amendment so I don’t censor anyone unless it’s a call to violence like telling someone to unalive themselves. People can bicker and argue as much as they’d like. It’s the internet and I’m not their mommy.”

Homolak acknowledged that the group has evolved to feature more right-leaning content over time. “Once word got out on social media that I allowed Conservative and Christian content in my group, people joined in droves and liberals left in droves (of course complaining first),” she told me. “It all happened organically. Conservative content increased and I approved it. It’s not my fault leftists don’t make memes.” She stopped approving the left-leaning posts that did show up, she said, because “leftists are so nasty on the internet,” and because most of them were dishonest. “You can’t just make up fever fantasy dreams about Trump, put it in meme form and expect me to approve it. Lol!” In a follow-up interview, also conducted via Messenger, she told me that she would ban anyone who criticizes the organization Gays Against Groomers or the surprise-hit movie Sound of Freedom, which tells the real-life story of a man who started a controversial anti-child-sex-trafficking organization.

Former members say that the right-wing messaging really started ramping up last winter and spring, peaking at a moment that coincided with Homolak’s rise as a public figure in local conservative politics. On May 5, 2023, she abruptly posted a series of memes to the group, each one showing Bluey’s sister, Bingo, at the top of a staircase holding a feather and making an announcement—variously directed at “drag queens,” “leftist psychos,” and “climate change idiot believers,” among other groups—that “YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE!!!” A few weeks later, Homolak visited her local public library and saw, as she described it, a male librarian wearing makeup. She led a protest outside of the library, and over the summer spoke about the issue at multiple county-council and library-board meetings, including one where she dressed up in a costume of the librarian. The spectacle was covered by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and Homolak appeared on conservative talk-radio shows to discuss her activism.

Homolak believes that Facebook has removed posts related to trans issues from her group and shadowbanned it for political reasons. “I went from getting on average 3000 new members a day to now 25 if I’m lucky,” she told me. (A Meta spokesperson declined to comment on the group’s status or on whether actions have been taken to limit its reach.) I asked if she’d consider a ban on political posts if that was the only way to prevent the entire group from getting shut down. “Nope 😎 1A all the way, baby,” she said. “Standing for freedom always comes first. You should try it! Highly recommended!" [...]

That’s one reason I watch the show with my own kids: Bluey isn’t a political show at all. It’s a cartoon about the boring, beautiful moments of regular family life, such as waiting outside a restaurant for takeout or playing in the backyard. How could this show, of all the shows in the world, have become the source of so much ugliness? I asked Homolak if she was surprised by this herself. “Bluey is SUPER relatable because it’s genuine,” she told me. “It’s real life. Politics is real life. It’s no wonder why they collide.”

Good article I guess, but it's not "strange", it's exactly what I've been specifically trying to warn about :

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i tapped my bank card instead of my go card the other day and didn't realise until I got home from work and saw a 10 dollar translink fee on it and I did the math in my head and decided wrangling a customer service rep to complain about it when it was user error was just obnoxious and time consuming enough I would rather eat the 10 bucks. I didn't think about it until just now but basically my mindset has been irrevocably damaged by these forums that ten bucks seems like a fair price to pay for being an idiot

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
bucky go have a look at some of the simpsons shitposting groups on facebook

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

if there’s something relevant then share it

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
they are all about as insane as the bluey groups talked about in that article, i am sure there would be a lot of cooked poo poo you could filter through for your thesis (please don't take this as me dismissing your ideas on where this started it and what is currently causing it)

There has been a lot of the voice referendum posting & shitfights that i think you would enjoy (or hate) sifting through, as its all completely loving cooked

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

Don't tax vehicle usage because poor people both have to drive more, and the taxes represent a higher % of their income. It's regressive and trying to make it not so just makes it more annoying and increases overhead and enforcement costs.

Dump it and crack down on tax rorts by the rich instead.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

hooman posted:

Dump it and crack down on tax rorts by the rich instead.

reported for poo poo posting

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

GoldStandardConure posted:

they are all about as insane as the bluey groups talked about in that article, i am sure there would be a lot of cooked poo poo you could filter through for your thesis (please don't take this as me dismissing your ideas on where this started it and what is currently causing it)

There has been a lot of the voice referendum posting & shitfights that i think you would enjoy (or hate) sifting through, as its all completely loving cooked

I don’t enjoy it, it sucks, I do it to collect data for the thesis, and have more than enough already, but thanks for the heads up

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
sorry I should have said "enjoy" as reading through material like that is maddening

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

getting data about how misinformation travels by reading cooked facebook group posts feels like trying to take a photo of the ocean while drowning in the middle of the pacific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

getting data about how misinformation travels by reading cooked facebook group posts feels like trying to take a photo of the ocean while drowning in the middle of the pacific

Our ship is sinking, because specific people are drilling very specific holes in very specific places. They are literal ex-military guys, using weapons-grade drilling machines, and targeting them with tactical precision. We can see them doing it, I'm shouting as loudly as I can, trying to tell journalists about it, and they all either ignore you or call you crazy and tell you to shut up and gently caress off. Then they go and write think-pieces or tweet threads that are essentially like "gee look at all this propaganda coming in, and all these people going nuts, seems kinda bad, how strange".

meanwhile the radicalisation continues

https://x.com/BrentHodgson/status/1715007516000890944?s=20