Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hamhandler posted:

They clearly don't trust him- he's got what is probably the lowest % of run down snaps of any edge in the NFL who sees the field at least as a rotational player. That's the kind of treatment you give a talented rookie player, he's in his 4th season now. His career prospects at this point are probably closer to Josh Uche than a genuinely elite player- someone whose circumstances and surrounding talent might make them look like a high quality player occasionally but isn't going to hold up to more robust usage or suffering a drop on other areas of the defense.

I think it's also worth noting you're talking about paying $20m+ a year for nickel edge rusher to compete in a division in which all of your opponents are building towards attacking base defenses. Miami is a two-back offense, and Buffalo and New England are trying to be two-TE offenses. At what point does that become a white elephant?

Every edge on the Jets is a rotational player. I never thought I'd see the day where we're aruging that a pass rusher is a white elephant. OL, Pass Rushers and QB are the only positions that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If we’re playing white elephant I’m praying one of the gifts is unity and happiness 😃

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8htDrR5/

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
They should pay him because he is a good player and thr cap is not real.

Plus they have plenty of bad players they can cut/not resign

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

mcmagic posted:

Every edge on the Jets is a rotational player. I never thought I'd see the day where we're aruging that a pass rusher is a white elephant. OL, Pass Rushers and QB are the only positions that matter.

I don't think there's much in the way of examples of a player like Huff getting paid what we're talking here, but I think the reality of that is probably that the Jets re-sign him for cheaper.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hamhandler posted:

I don't think there's much in the way of examples of a player like Huff getting paid what we're talking here, but I think the reality of that is probably that the Jets re-sign him for cheaper.
Of course. The point in me saying he deserves $20+m per is that when they re-sign him for $16m per, I get to chalk it up as yet another Joe Douglas win.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Of course. The point in me saying he deserves $20+m per is that when they re-sign him for $16m per, I get to chalk it up as yet another Joe Douglas win.

The real win would've been signing him a year and a half ago for 8AAV (that we said in this thread to do)

https://twitter.com/PFF_Texans/status/1714653338254680066
lol this is wild

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 19, 2023

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Cashman was always decently good with the Jets when he was on the field, he could just never stay healthy. Him being *this * good is shocking, but good for him. Luckily the Jets are very set at LB, otherwise it would sting a lot more.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1715053523665334747

It's time to give Izzy some run. The Cook thing just didn't work out.... What a waste.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Always knew Dalvin Cook should have been a Dolphin.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Always knew Dalvin Cook should have been a Dolphin.

Paying a RB on a 3rd contract 7MM was always insane. We should've realized that.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Thank god y’all doubled our offer

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

My hot take is that it's Michael Carter who should be fired into the sun. Dalvin I think could at least give you a little bit of value as a short yardage guy and catching the occasional pass. Carter is totally loving useless.

Izzy should take the RB2 role and Cook should be used sparingly as a short yardage guy. But honestly, Breece is an alien and might be fine to take like 80% of the carries anyways so maybe none of this matters.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

My hot take is that it's Michael Carter who should be fired into the sun. Dalvin I think could at least give you a little bit of value as a short yardage guy and catching the occasional pass. Carter is totally loving useless.

Izzy should take the RB2 role and Cook should be used sparingly as a short yardage guy. But honestly, Breece is an alien and might be fine to take like 80% of the carries anyways so maybe none of this matters.

I was saying this all offseason but their WR and RB groups are both just INCREDIBLY shallow and immediately become the worst in the league if they have an injury to Breece or Wilson. I thought Cook was RB depth but that doesn't appear true now.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pats-centric stuff from Breer's mailbag. Do we think after he and the Patriots mutually agree to part ways, definitely not a firing, would he rather take a Football Czar type role or HC with no roster oversight?

quote:

From Gerry Levine (@gerrylev): Is the Patriots’ offense a teardown?
Gerry, that’s a funny question to ask, because I’d say if there was a teardown—and I don’t think that’s what it is—then it’s already happened. Think about it this way: There isn’t a single player on that offense that’d make me feel comfortable saying, Yes, that guy will be around in 2025. The offensive line’s cornerstone player is 31-year-old center David Andrews. The team’s best skill player, Zeke Elliott, was a street free-agent signing in August. And the quarterback, Mac Jones, is in an uncertain spot.

If you’re the Patriots going into the draft and free agency next spring, you’re doing so with needs (to varying degrees) to fill just about every position on offense. That’s why this looks to me like a multiyear rebuild, which, obviously, adds another layer to the conversation about whether Bill Belichick will be around next year.

It’s strange to say these things about the Patriots, for sure. But that’s where things stand.

From Andrew (@ReturnOfAndrew): If Bill Belichick lost his job in New England, do you think he would have potential landing spots as a head coach in 2024?

Yes, Andrew. My question is whether someone would give him anything close to the control he has in New England (my guess would be no). But I definitely think he’d have opportunities to just go be the coach somewhere, or serve in the sort of over-the-top role that Bill Parcells (Miami), Mike Holmgren (Cleveland) and Tom Coughlin (Jacksonville) did in their golden NFL years.

And while we’re there, the NFC East, Belichick’s old home, would have a couple of interesting landing spots. If Washington owner Josh Harris is looking to buy credibility for his franchise (as Stephen Ross and Shad Khan once did as new owners with Parcells and Coughlin), hiring Belichick either to coach or be in a football czar position would give it to him. Then, there’s Dallas, if things really go the wrong way there (I don’t think they will).

Maybe one of these places gives him the keys to the kingdom like Robert Kraft once did. But if he wants to coach, or run a team, I think those opportunities will be out there.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Belichick as a "football czar" would be the worst thing he could do and probably go about as well as Parcel's tenure in Miami and Coughlin's in Jacksonville.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah the teardown question is pretty funny. It implies there is a single good player on offense at the moment. Like who are you trading away from this crew lol. I think Rhamondre is a respectable back and his awful season has as much to do with a garbage line and zero credible threat of a passing game as it does with him. But there’s nobody I am pounding the table to keep.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

https://x.com/GregTompsett/status/1715079800140812361?s=20

Sounds fair 🙏🏼

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Yeah the teardown question is pretty funny. It implies there is a single good player on offense at the moment. Like who are you trading away from this crew lol. I think Rhamondre is a respectable back and his awful season has as much to do with a garbage line and zero credible threat of a passing game as it does with him. But there’s nobody I am pounding the table to keep.

I'd love Bourne as like a WR3.

Nov 6, 2002

Stevenson and Henry are the only players on offense who are good NFL players and worth trading for. Henry would be an immediate upgrade over all but maybe 4-5 TE's in the league if you paired him with a good QB.

fsif posted:

I'd love Bourne as like a WR3.

Can we interest you in a late model JuJu?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why do the Raiders want Gabe Davis? lol He's a borderline JAG who wants to get paid a lot soon.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Why do the Raiders want Gabe Davis? lol He's a borderline JAG who wants to get paid a lot soon.

That’s Big Game Gabe to you

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's even crazier that they would eat money to trade Adams who is still one of top 5 WRs in the NFL. Why would they do that?

Nov 6, 2002

Because the Raiders are dumb.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Can we interest you in a late model JuJu?

Lol Juju’s agent posed this to Bill and he said yes

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Davis is younger than Adams so really the Raiders should send the Bills a pick.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Gabe "Al" Davis

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Adams isn't getting traded; he just rightfully wants the ball more. There were no complaints earlier in the season when he was getting targeted 10-15 times per game.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I think I saw that he somehow got *two* catches on like five targets against the Pats. Which is insane.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This happened really early in the game and he was off and on for the rest of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGN5cEfJU4

Jimmy sure loves his hospital balls.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
He’s always there, he just wants company.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

He’s always there, he just wants company.

Speaking of injuries, the Patriots have 20!! players on their Wednesday injury list. I don't have high hopes of winning the game.

https://imgur.com/a/GUiNJOF

Also, apparently the Patriots don't feel the need for Speed, they just cut him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Derek Carr sucks and I’m glad we didn’t sign him.

Nov 6, 2002

Three has no poise.

I'm starting to think Jimmy G is actually better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Derek Carr sucks and I’m glad we didn’t sign him.

I'd take him for this year but year 2 and 3 of that contract would've been bad.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t think Carr is good but I think the offense just stinks.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TheBizzness posted:

I don’t think Carr is good but I think the offense just stinks.

It’s this. Carr did his best in a downfield offense under Gruden so they’ve got him doing all this dime store Sean Payton WCO chain moving stuff. Also the line is bad.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Carr aside, every time I watch Lawrence I feel like there's something missing? Like I watch him and come away simultaneously feeling like he's this close to being a top 5 QB in the league but also pretty overrated. It's weird. I don't know if anyone else feels similarly.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I feel like he's closer to Dak Prescott than Joe Burrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Professor Funk posted:

Carr aside, every time I watch Lawrence I feel like there's something missing? Like I watch him and come away simultaneously feeling like he's this close to being a top 5 QB in the league but also pretty overrated. It's weird. I don't know if anyone else feels similarly.

Absolutely. I personally dislike his throwing motion as well.