Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powered Descent posted:

I'll take a Herkimer Battle Jitney any day.

Ahhh yes the finest non lethal military vehicle ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

It shoots Twinkies at relativistic speeds.

Very important.

If such action triggers a change state that makes the Twinkie suddenly edible and nutritious: Huge deal.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

kuarduck posted:

Excuse me, the documentary on the EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle is called "Stripes"

I have wanted one of these for the entire like 30 years since seeing Stripes on HBO

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Tactical ac roof pod.

Keeps you minty fresh and ready to kill

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russian modern infantry would still be spearmen in this scenario

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
If true, Russian ability to respond with attack helicopters to Ukranian armored movements has been gutted
https://twitter.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1715132980652310662

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

The Vengence Bus is coming, and everybody's jumping

(for cover)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

If true, Russian ability to respond with attack helicopters to Ukranian armored movements has been gutted

holy fuckin poo poo lmao, 21 helicopters out of commission is a decent chunk of their operational fleet, which let me remind you, cannot be replaced or serviced due to requiring sanctioned components for manufacture :lol: :lmao:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Man, russia really should switch to heated tobacco

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Barudak posted:

When I lived there, I used to go buy cigarettes at a tiny shack across the street from my student hostel. They were 30 rubles a pack (roughly $1 USD at the time) and they were the worst, most loving vile things I'd ever smoked. Russian cigarettes are so loving lovely they made me quit smoking entirely and I've been nicotine free for 13 years and counting. It's notable to me because it was the first time in my life that my life itself was improved because of how lovely something was.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

HonorableTB posted:

When I lived there, I used to go buy cigarettes at a tiny shack across the street from my student hostel. They were 30 rubles a pack (roughly $1 USD at the time) and they were the worst, most loving vile things I'd ever smoked. Russian cigarettes are so loving lovely they made me quit smoking entirely and I've been nicotine free for 13 years and counting. It's notable to me because it was the first time in my life that my life itself was improved because of how lovely something was.

In Russia cigarettes smoke you.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tango alpha delta posted:

In Russia cigarettes smoke you.

Putin had his own brand of cigarettes AND vodka. It was called Putinka lmao

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Barudak posted:

seems like it's getting plenty hot as it is

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

At least 21?! That considerably more than what Ukraine have claimed

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

I'll take a Herkimer Battle Jitney any day.

I'm getting some Quake 1 or 2 rocket launcher vibes off this thing

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

At least 21?! That considerably more than what Ukraine have claimed

21 disabled/destroyed rotary aircraft with the first batch of gifted ATACMS definitely helps explain the recent decision by the US to supply Ukraine with a continuous and indefinite supply of ATACMS.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Future localized Russian releases of 1987's "Predator" will need extensive subtitle explanations for what exactly a "choppah' was as it will be generations until anyone sees one again after this invasion finally ticks over to day four on Moscows calendar

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Unknown technology blyat

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's the dollar value of those? :stare:

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Bluemillion posted:

What's the dollar value of those? :stare:

as far as I can tell: KA-52 are $15M+. Mi-8 are, fittingly, ~$8M (unless they're kitted out with Super Fance electronic warfare poo poo). "Damaged" is inconclusive since that can range from trivial fittings to irreplaceable foreign sourced components, but uh, helicopters ain't cheap, and it turns out contain a lot of flammable things that pyrophoric pellets regard as their home.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Flyinglemur posted:

we need more AI willing to kill all humans. Perhaps some kind of bendering robot? I dunno, just spitballing here

Sedgr posted:

I support this initiative for various reasons.

Sure, sure. Hey can you do something for me real quick?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^

HonorableTB posted:

21 disabled/destroyed rotary aircraft with the first batch of gifted ATACMS definitely helps explain the recent decision by the US to supply Ukraine with a continuous and indefinite supply of ATACMS.
If only anyone knew they could be useful before!

That's probably it for the low hanging fruit though unless the russians just insist on replenishing that field with more helicopters again.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

mobby_6kl posted:

That's probably it for the low hanging fruit though unless the russians just insist on replenishing that field with more helicopters again.

Berdyansk: Chornobaivska Edition

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Lol reportedly in one day yesterday Russia lost 55 tanks and 120 IFVs in Avdiivka and Kupyansk, that's more than most countries have in total

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^^

I agree with this. The Russians are monumentally stupid when it comes to war but not even the Russians will allow this to happen a second time. They're going to disperse their aircraft but that just hurts them too because the more dispersed their air power is, the more resources it will take to do an air strike with them, get them to the front for CAS, or to do behind the lines strategic attacks. An Alligator that has to fly 100+ miles to reach the front has burned half of its fuel by the time it even gets to where the fighting is. That drastically reduces the combat potential of any aircraft sent.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

10 bucks says it's being tested / got tested in Ukraine

The eos system is there, don’t know if they were already using the 30mm.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Scorchy posted:

Lol reportedly in one day yesterday Russia lost 55 tanks and 120 IFVs in Avdiivka and Kupyansk, that's more than most countries have in total

What? I'm gonna need a cite on that because that's an even crazier number than 21 helicopters.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Scorchy posted:

Got a source on that one? That beggars belief.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Never mind just saw it

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Never mind just saw it

Request a title change: Ukraine War: Avdiivka, a strange hill to die on.

:kiddo:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I dunno if those numbers are correct (trust no info in war) but either way the russians are obviously suffering a lot of losses right now, as video shows a lot of armor being destroyed during really sloppy russian ops

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Collapsing Farts posted:

I dunno if those numbers are correct (trust no info in war) but either way the russians are obviously suffering a lot of losses right now, as video shows a lot of armor being destroyed during really sloppy russian ops

Honey wake up, a brand new type of Trümmerberg just dropped! They're calling it a Panzerabwehr-Panzerabfallberg and the Russians say it's going to win them the war

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^^

Never discount the possibility.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HonorableTB posted:

I agree with this. The Russians are monumentally stupid when it comes to war but not even the Russians will allow this to happen a second time.

For most militaries, yes, but this Russia were talking about, and so we have to factor in vranyo- how sure can we be that the poor dumbshits who run those facilities will actually report accurate numbers back to their superiors?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah letting your airfield get shelled a second time would be almost as dumb as pushing a failed attack into a fortified position that cost you 100+ armored vehicles and thousands of lives a second time when nothing has changed. They'd never do that.

This whole war is an encapsulation of that mentality. When we started hearing about massed troops on the border in December everyone shrugged it off. "No way they'd be dumb enough to attack." And here we are, so many thousands dead and millions uprooted.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

If these are official Ukrainian numbers then those used to be around double verified by e.g. oryx, so probably overstated (but maybe not) but within the order of magnitude

tiaz posted:

Berdyansk: Chornobaivska Edition
Exactly, you'd think they wouldn't just immediately put more helicopters there and yet, we've been there before

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Yeah letting your airfield get shelled a second time would be almost as dumb as pushing a failed attack into a fortified position that cost you 100+ armored vehicles and thousands of lives a second time when nothing has changed. They'd never do that.

https://i.imgur.com/DTvfHNI.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JbJEkrk.mp4

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Currently they did move away most of their helos that could be salvaged from the disaster in both the airbases that got hit. Even if they ran for it, there's also huge supply dumps, troop concentrations, command posts, etc. that are well within range for ATACMS to use on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

lol were they папироси?