Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Timeless Toni Storm is the best part of AEW right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

How does the same company that produces the best PPVs in wrestling history... ✅
also give us utter trash like the Roderick Strong pretapes.... ✅
and Timeless Toni? ❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌

Gumball Gumption posted:

I can't hate the MJF/Cole pre-tapes because it is the funniest monkey paw wish for AEW fans. You got more pre-tapes, you got face MJF, you got everything

lol

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Timeless Toni Storm is the best part of AEW right now

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Roddy pretapes have run their course, fine. Maybe should have cut them off a little earlier.

Gone With the Storm was a masterpiece.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Roddy works best interrupting things, but I've enjoyed the pretapes well enough, hopefully they're done with them or have only a pay off left, instead of dragging out Cole's entire injury as 'he was guilt tripped into doing chores at Strong's house.'
I

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Because professional wrestling is a land of contrasts (also the pretapes are funny, Toni Storm Silent Starlet PiP is funny)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
every era of AEW has had what can be considered trash sports entertainment bits or goofy indie poo poo

but every time there's a New Thing people pretend like it's some massive shift or departure or fall from grace from something AEW never was

remember when Jericho was wearing the belt and full gear in the hot tub and got out and argued with a drone and then Matt Hardy teleported that was like the first year of the company

remember The Bubbly Bunch

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 20, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

All those things ruled though

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

All those things ruled though

and so does Timeless Toni Storm and, I would argue, the Roddy stuff

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah they do

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m more bothered by what’s not on the shows than I am by what’s on the shows but there’s nothing I can point to that I’d cut to replace with the poo poo I also wanna see so I guess they need a 4th show

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The most “WWE” thing about the Roddy stuff isn’t the content itself, it’s that they ran it into the ground. It would be like if they did the Dinner Debonair every week for a month.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

While I like the Timeless Toni Storm bits, I'm about ready for them to lead to some wrestling. Maybe she can fight Taya Valkyrie for the rights to be the most dramatic blonde in the company.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

E: Or Toni could fight Yuka over who is the most crazy

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The most “WWE” thing about the Roddy stuff isn’t the content itself, it’s that they ran it into the ground. It would be like if they did the Dinner Debonair every week for a month.

Yeah, its this.

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 20, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They've done it three times and it ended this week. Two weeks passed between you seeing the first one and seeing the last one. He arrived, he wasn't able to leave, he left.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder if Yuka is going back to TJPW briefly just to work out any ring rust and to test out that neck before she comes back to AEW. I hope they do her return properly.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder if Yuka is going back to TJPW briefly just to work out any ring rust and to test out that neck before she comes back to AEW. I hope they do her return properly.

I'm fairly sure they've said she'll push her graduation date back somewhat so they can do it properly but I could be wrong about that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TV Zombie posted:

She was always planning to finish the year in TJPW, the Dramatic DDT blog suggests this may be pushed back a little but I imagine she'll be gone and used as frequently as all the other Japanese women AEW book so well (with maybe an exception for Shida) by March

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

She was always planning to finish the year in TJPW, the Dramatic DDT blog suggests this may be pushed back a little but I imagine she'll be gone and used as frequently as all the other Japanese women AEW book so well (with maybe an exception for Shida) by March

Her being full-time with AEW will actually probably lead to her getting used pretty frequently, though a lot of it might also be ROH. It helps that she's extremely capable of working in AEW's ring unlike some of the other joshi that get brought over.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/LaRoccaJL/status/1715186885600174278

The use of masked guys goes from Fenix and Penta who have held multiple titles, main evented big Dynamites and been in huge PPV matches to Serpentico who is a comedy jobber.

If they only used Mistico to the level they do Fenix they'd have a guy they could main event Dynamite with and Mistico is a much, much bigger star.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
John LaRocca also thinks that Fenix is an awful wrestler.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1715362109171667435

Ok he's dead.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

If they only used Mistico to the level they do Fenix they'd have a guy they could main event Dynamite with and Mistico is a much, much bigger star.
Well obviously, he was in WWE! But the Lucha House Party never main evented any PPVs so it is hard to say if they are bigger stars or not than the Lucha Bros. The Lucha Bros main evented at least one Impact PPV so that makes them bigger stars than pretty much every team in AEW because TNA had more shows with a million viewers than AEW. Plus a Pentagon was the champion on Lucha Underground, which while Underground had better production values than AEW, which gives it a +4 buff in star-making. Though the two Pentagons' names were different so I would have to check with an expert to see if they were the same masked wrestler.

I don't know the math is complex here.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

post hole digger posted:

How does the same company that produces the best PPVs in wrestling history... ✅
also give us utter trash like the Roderick Strong pretapes.... ✅
and Timeless Toni? ❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌

lol

I don't care much about the Cole-Roderick-MJF triangle but it's fine. Hating on Timeless Toni is unacceptable

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

All masked wrestlers are the same. Ever see Mankind and Sexy Star in the same place?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

lmao

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Pylons posted:

helps that she's extremely capable of working in AEW's ring unlike some of the other joshi that get brought over.

I wonder why that might be the case since I remember that most of the joshi came from tjpw.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

MassRafTer posted:

The use of masked guys goes from Fenix and Penta who have held multiple titles, main evented big Dynamites and been in huge PPV matches to Serpentico who is a comedy jobber.

A truly great wrestling fed only needs 1 masked guy, 1 tall guy, 1 bald guy, and 1 face paint guy. If you want to get crazy you throw in 1 blonde guy. Anything else is redundant.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder why that might be the case since I remember that most of the joshi came from tjpw.

It's really a mystery to me too. The only thing I can think is there's some mental block for, say, Miyu or Shoko or Itoh that Yuka either got past very quickly or never had at all. I've sometimes thought it's related to the ring size (AEW has a larger ring) and maybe the way different wrestlers have movesets that are better suited for adjustment than others. It's why I think they should really try to get Miu Watanabe over for a short run, her moveset is incredibly simple.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 20, 2023

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I assume this is one of those guys that thinks every single Luchador wrestlers like a PWG show cause that's their only conception of literally any wrestling that isn't WWE

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

A Fancy Hat posted:

A truly great wrestling fed only needs 1 masked guy, 1 tall guy, 1 bald guy, and 1 face paint guy. If you want to get crazy you throw in 1 blonde guy. Anything else is redundant.

wheres the fat guy

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

MassRafTer posted:

fight game media: only the best takes

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Drakkel posted:

I assume this is one of those guys that thinks every single Luchador wrestlers like a PWG show cause that's their only conception of literally any wrestling that isn't WWE

He also hates PWG legit too.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Drakkel posted:

That sounds rad though

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

JUNGLE BOY posted:

wheres the fat guy

AEW has Eddie

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
AEW should probably do more to distinguish between their masked guys though. I'm not saying give one a foot fetish gimmick, I'm just saying it.worked for LA Parka.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

AEW should probably do more to distinguish between their masked guys though. I'm not saying give one a foot fetish gimmick, I'm just saying it.worked for LA Parka.

The mask isn't the gimmick though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can tell the difference between the masked guys because they’re completely different guys

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pylons posted:

The mask isn't the gimmick though.

Aye but AEW could do more to distinguish between them. Feels like a new luchador comes in, his big selling point is all the amazing things he can do in the ring and then they disappear for a couple of weeks until they need someone to lose in a great match again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aye but AEW could do more to distinguish between them. Feels like a new luchador comes in, his big selling point is all the amazing things he can do in the ring and then they disappear for a couple of weeks until they need someone to lose in a great match again.

Except that's not how they are billing Mistico at all so I have no idea what this complaint is about.