Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Yeah Phantom Liberty is fine and very good with your old character, no reason to start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Soul Glo posted:

i just saw i have 167k points to use in the point store. the point store appears to be nothing but 1k avatars of anime girls and meme loading screens

is there anything in there worth a poo poo

The Ghost Trick point store on steam can get you a little animated frame of for your profile picture that is Missile running around the edge of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cross-posting from the monster hunter thread because I put effort into the post:

Rinkles posted:

Anyone here with an opinion on God Eater 3?

More specifically I've only played God Eater 1 so far (on PSP and later on steam - it's bundled for free with God Eater 2) and it's this weird combination of extremely anime, weirdly compelling, clunky (it's a PSP game) and I suck at coming back to it despite liking it.

If you don't mind the anime, the story is actually compelling imho (part of why I like it). Humanity is doomed because evil monsters have invaded, they can only be killed by your oversized weapons (that fuse with your body and are at risk of turning and eating you), and you actually get a little invested in the wellbeing of your fellow hunters, as they replace the role of Palicos in the gameplay loop - bring your best bud along because she'll heal you and provide ranged support, bring along your boss because he's great at drawing aggro, etc. (Or go solo!)

The gameplay loop is extremely "we played Freedom Unite and loved it" - at the hub, equip yourself -> take mission -> mission is in an arena with multiple areas and gather points -> take loot home and upgrade gear -> repeat.

It's faster than FU, the weapons are different (giant scythe!) but some are familiar (lance! poke poke poke) and it has a neat gimmick of your weapon can morph into a gun at any time to shoot enemies (bullets are limited, gain them back by doing damage) or morph into a mouth to take a chomp out of the enemy for a powerup / powerful bullet.

Monsters are the same - breakable parts, distinctive, you really get to know them. I like the horror vibe so I like looking at 'em.

Finally, GE1 and 2 were made by the same dev, then they handed it off to another dev for God Eater 3 as they were busy making Code Vein. I've heard GE3 is good but a step down in quality, but can't verify that myself. Fortunately if you're curious, all three go on sale for cheap, so they're easy to check out if you're curious and want a faster anime MonHun clone.

The anime litmus test: if you can watch the opening of GE1 and not think "that's too much anime" you're good to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJqgnrcTBSA

A youtube video essay on the trilogy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxhafoutcU

Finally, a few of my screenshots from GE1 on steam. I made my character very anime because Why Not.

e: it does make me sad that I can't be an anime catgirl when I'm fighting rathalos. he deserves me at my best.

e2: aha they are on sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34010/GOD_EATER_TRILOGY/ <-- trilogy bundle, 14$ for all three games, honestly a great price for what you're getting.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

The anime litmus test: if you can watch the opening of GE1 and not think "that's too much anime" you're good to go:

you need the Resurrection version with maximum overwub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZJUccKTTJo

also I hope you used the one character voice that's Marisha Ray as a rock musician

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 19, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

you need the Resurrection version with maximum overwub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZJUccKTTJo

also I hope you used the one character voice that's Marisha Ray as a rock musician

That slaps, thank you for sharing it!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: it does make me sad that I can't be an anime catgirl when I'm fighting rathalos. he deserves me at my best.

the secret of FFXIV's success

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Also if you want God Eater 3 its included in the quite good Humble Namco Bundle up right now along with Tekken 7, Katamari, Code Vein, and a couple other good games for $10usd.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/bandai-namco-fights-frights-and-fantasy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anyone tried Endless Dungeon yet?
Is it the same game as Dungeon of the Endless but with fancier graphics?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Also interested in this.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://support.activision.com/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2/articles/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2-update

activision made the baffling decision to allow THPS1+2 to be played offline but only if you're on a steam deck

it's not hard to trick the game into thinking you're on a steam deck, why bother with this

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I have some 13 hours on it and I think it's a pretty nice little game that does capture the nice open doors - tension when waiting for eventual wave - breather for a moment after it -gameplay loop of the old Dungeon of the Endless (which I really liked).

The major difference in gameplay is that instead of directing your party from room to room with fighting (other than activating skills) happening automatically, it's now a twin-stick shooter combined with the tower defense element. You command one party member at time, with the rest under AI control following you or holding a position you designate (and you can jump to different party member at will) or with some other player in co-op.

There's quite a bit of Hades in it in some way I think. The cast of characters is smaller than in the previous game, but better fleshed out, and given this is Amplitude I feel the character design (visual design overall) is really solid. There's a decent difference in how various different types of weapons feel. It takes most of the elements in the old game, smoothing out some things like keeping characters in generator rooms to boost resource accumulation.

There definitely is a larger metaprogression element to it, but I felt it was reasonably done - some straight power progression in how you can improve weapon base types with chips found during your runs, and your heroes with up to three abilities from chips that even are tradeoffs sometimes, catering to different playstyle. But also what I feel is the better kind of metaprogression, widening you options like available heroes, unlocking optional challenge modifiers to your run, or opening new zones you can choose to go through on your way to zone 1, 2, 3 and finally station core.

The only bigger miss in that I think is how the core "final" zone has at the start three pretty major hindering modifiers stuck to it, which you can remove through exploring the three possible zone 3s over your runs. I'm pretty sure this is pretty much a progression gate you just have to grind through, at least removing one or two of those modifiers.

So all in all I do like it so far.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Fanatical: Build your play on the go bundle - 3 for $9.99/5 for $14.99/7 for $19.99
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/play-on-the-go-premium-edition-build-your-own-bundle

quote:

Werewolf the apocalypse
Hello goodboy
Bosork
Dishonored: Death of the outsider
Wolfenstein 2: The New order
Filament
Treasures of aegean
Gear shifters
Wall World
The Walking Dead: The final season (the telltale one)
Beyond Blue
The Ascent
The walking dead: A new frontier (takes place after season 2 of telltale series)
Battle Axe
Doom 2016
Alwa's legacy
Chicken Police
Gamedec: Definitive edition
Godstrike and JetBound Joust double pack
Telsagrad remastered

Living in a simulation bundle on humblebundle :https://www.humblebundle.com/games/living-in-simulation?partner=nintendeal
$10 tier and $15 tiers - 5 more games in the $15 tier

quote:

Farming Sim 19
House Flipper
House Flipper luxury dlc
House Flipper Garden dlc
Firefighter sim - the squad
Builder sim
Juno: origins
Electrician sim
Fresh Start cleaning sim
Lumberjacks Destiny

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

repiv posted:

https://support.activision.com/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2/articles/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2-update

activision made the baffling decision to allow THPS1+2 to be played offline but only if you're on a steam deck

it's not hard to trick the game into thinking you're on a steam deck, why bother with this

They're trying to replicate the full console experience where the online features have been broken for a long time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVDiMNJcxUM

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cross-posting from the monster hunter thread because I put effort into the post:

More specifically I've only played God Eater 1 so far (on PSP and later on steam - it's bundled for free with God Eater 2) and it's this weird combination of extremely anime, weirdly compelling, clunky (it's a PSP game) and I suck at coming back to it despite liking it.

If you don't mind the anime, the story is actually compelling imho (part of why I like it). Humanity is doomed because evil monsters have invaded, they can only be killed by your oversized weapons (that fuse with your body and are at risk of turning and eating you), and you actually get a little invested in the wellbeing of your fellow hunters, as they replace the role of Palicos in the gameplay loop - bring your best bud along because she'll heal you and provide ranged support, bring along your boss because he's great at drawing aggro, etc. (Or go solo!)

The gameplay loop is extremely "we played Freedom Unite and loved it" - at the hub, equip yourself -> take mission -> mission is in an arena with multiple areas and gather points -> take loot home and upgrade gear -> repeat.

It's faster than FU, the weapons are different (giant scythe!) but some are familiar (lance! poke poke poke) and it has a neat gimmick of your weapon can morph into a gun at any time to shoot enemies (bullets are limited, gain them back by doing damage) or morph into a mouth to take a chomp out of the enemy for a powerup / powerful bullet.

Monsters are the same - breakable parts, distinctive, you really get to know them. I like the horror vibe so I like looking at 'em.

Finally, GE1 and 2 were made by the same dev, then they handed it off to another dev for God Eater 3 as they were busy making Code Vein. I've heard GE3 is good but a step down in quality, but can't verify that myself. Fortunately if you're curious, all three go on sale for cheap, so they're easy to check out if you're curious and want a faster anime MonHun clone.

A youtube video essay on the trilogy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxhafoutcU

Finally, a few of my screenshots from GE1 on steam. I made my character very anime because Why Not.

e2: aha they are on sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34010/GOD_EATER_TRILOGY/ <-- trilogy bundle, 14$ for all three games, honestly a great price for what you're getting.

As someone who enjoyed God Eater 3 and was considering getting 1+2:

1) I heard a lot of stuff about the PC ports being very bad, something to do with framerate that's causing stuff to bug out and all that jazz. Is that true, or perhaps was true but has been patched? If it is the case, I was considering getting it on my PS4 instead of PC.

2) If I was to only get 1 or 2, is there a preference? Additionally, are they still good enough to go back to despite already playing games like God Eater 3 and the various Monster Hunters?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

other Indie Horror Showcase announcements:

- Shudder and DreadXP announced a game based on Creepshow.

- Sorry We're Closed has a demo out now

- Slay the Princess may be coming out tomorrow?

- Super Rare Originals is doing a 30 game horror collection

- Monster Roadtrip (Monster Prom 3) is adding Lamb from Cult of the Lamb as a bonus character

- A Little to the Left getting free Halloween DLC at the end of the month

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

For those who have put a few hours into Cyber Knights - how hard would you describe the game? I just did the first tutorial / next level, which was the Demo a few months back.

Felt easy enough, as tutorials/intros often are, but does it get much harder? How much should I be avoiding combat? I needed to kill a guy or two and one my dudes got decently hurt :(

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Fruits of the sea posted:

No. It’s all cosmetic stuff that you won’t see unless you spend a lot of time looking at your steam profile page or whatever

Exception: you can get a bunch of really weird emotes and troll your friends in steam chat, if you use that

Trucker Hat posted:

Max out seasonal badges to increase your profile level and improve your odds of getting random trading card pack drops.

New startup movies for your Steam Deck are fun too.

Obligatum VII posted:

The Ghost Trick point store on steam can get you a little animated frame of for your profile picture that is Missile running around the edge of it.

cool, thanks.

i'll just let it build up forever, i guess.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FutureCop posted:

1) I heard a lot of stuff about the PC ports being very bad, something to do with framerate that's causing stuff to bug out and all that jazz. Is that true, or perhaps was true but has been patched? If it is the case, I was considering getting it on my PS4 instead of PC.

2) If I was to only get 1 or 2, is there a preference? Additionally, are they still good enough to go back to despite already playing games like God Eater 3 and the various Monster Hunters?

1) No idea. GE1 works fine on my computer.

2) You cannot get them separately on steam, GE1 doesn't even have a separate page. It comes free with 2.

e: Additionally, I think they're worth checking out just because the monhun formula is that strong - get gear, fight monsters, get more gear, etc - but I don't know if you'd personally enjoy the older mechanics/style. (remember ge1 came out for the PSP, and in some ways it feels like a Freedom Unite clone)

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

FutureCop posted:

I can't speak to more than just my experience, but playing GE1 and 2 on PC a few years ago had no technical issues. Also, buying GE2 on Steam comes with GE1 automatically, they're a package deal.

As for which to play, I think I liked GE1 a bit more than 2 overall, but on mostly subjective factors. Like 2's cast felt like it leaned into a lot of them being "quirky" noticeably harder than 1 did, and I liked 1's more somber mood about the world as a result. The gameplay isn't super different between them, especially since they're both remakes on the same engine so a lot of QOL stuff got applied to both, but 2 does have some of its own extra features even so just because they're things that were introduced later in the storyline.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Someone else already answered but I played it for 90 minutes this morning and yeah, it's pretty much Dungeon of the Endless but with direct control of the party. I'm not sure that was a particularly beneficial addition, because it mostly amounts to standing in one place and holding down the shoot button anyway. You also get two active skills you can use, pretty standard moba-type fare. Now you have to physically run around to open doors and interact with generators and build spots, instead of just clicking on them.

It's not a bad game but I thought Dungeon of the Endless was great and this feels like a step down in some ways. Sort of like how Humanity wasn't an incompetent game, but it stripped out what made the Endless 4x games unique in favor of a more genre-standard 4x, this feels like it stripped out what made Dungeon of the Endless unique in favor of a more standard action roguelite game. Amplitude is at their best when they're working with experimental mechanics and very unique worlds, and they're not really doing that here. It will probably be more commercially successful than Dungeon of the Endless though because it has much wider appeal. And again it's not a bad version of what it does, it's just a more generic and casually-approachable version of what it used to do.

e: It also continues the industry trend of sequels with seemingly less content (characters, weapons, etc) than the original :argh:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 19, 2023

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The Steam reviews are pointing out that in co-op only the host gets to bank progression, can anyone confirm?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

fit em all up in there posted:

Fanatical: Build your play on the go bundle - 3 for $9.99/5 for $14.99/7 for $19.99
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/play-on-the-go-premium-edition-build-your-own-bundle

Any suggestions for a 3rd game? Getting Doom 2016 and Wallworld. Not really sure about the others.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Soul Glo posted:

cool, thanks.

i'll just let it build up forever, i guess.
You can give people awards so they level up their account.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Any suggestions for a 3rd game? Getting Doom 2016 and Wallworld. Not really sure about the others.

I love Arboria, it's an extremely unique and bizarre game that's worth playing if you're into the idea of a souls-like roguelite.

E: nevermind it's in a different Fanatical build your own bundle than the one linked:
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/fanatical-favorites-build-your-own-bundle

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 19, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Filament is a good puzzler

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I in fact like Arboria so much that I bought that Fanatical bundle just to give it away in the roguelike thread but here's a key for another good game (Chronicon) and also two games I don't know anything about that I got as a mystery addition to the bundle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Chronicon owns, that key is a pro grab, right there

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

yeah someone grabbed it and didnt say anything

Orv
May 4, 2011
Does the Call of Cthulhu fix work on newer versions of Windows or is that just a completely dead game they’re selling?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Despite what I said about Endless Dungeon it has still grabbed me the same way DotE did and I've been playing most of the afternoon :hellyeah:

Orv posted:

Does the Call of Cthulhu fix work on newer versions of Windows or is that just a completely dead game they’re selling?

The top review on Steam has instructions for installing the fix on the Steam version

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

StarkRavingMad posted:

(re GUNHEAD): It's from the same developer who made CRYPTARK and is more a first person remake of that game.
so hey CRYPTARK is on sale for the low low price of $FREE for the next couple days :siren:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Away all Goats posted:

Dishonored if you want stealth

The Ascent looks interesting for a shooter

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Away all Goats posted:

I've heard good things about Alwa's Legacy, and while it didn't live up to my expectations, The Ascent was still a decent ARPG. Dishonored DLC is probably ok too.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Away all Goats posted:

Chicken Police is a very good noir detective adventure.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

CRYPTARK's really good! You take on the role of a scavenger, tasked with infiltrating massive spaceships to destroy their cores. It might sound like a simple task but the game does an excellent job of increasing the complexity and challenge as you continue.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cryptark is incredibly good and it's a real shame that there's barely any other game like it out there.
Check out Heat Signature too.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anybody have opinions on the 8bitdo Pro 2 as a replacement for an XBOX 360 controller? I see they also make one with the same layout as an XBOX controller but its not easily available in my country.

Or alternatively, any other controller that has paddles on the underside?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Jack Trades posted:

Cryptark is incredibly good and it's a real shame that there's barely any other game like it out there.
Check out Heat Signature too.

Gonna take Cryptark for a drive on my SteamDeck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fruits of the sea posted:

Anybody have opinions on the 8bitdo Pro 2 as a replacement for an XBOX 360 controller? I see they also make one with the same layout as an XBOX controller but its not easily available in my country.

Or alternatively, any other controller that has paddles on the underside?

I got the 8bitdo Ultimate to replace my ancient wired 360 controller and it has been fantastic, no regrets. Have had it for almost a year now. I imagine that the Pro 2 will well built, but I wanted hall effect sensors so didn't even consider it.