Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
E: was unclear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Tbh if I was a Russian heli pilot I'd be quietly cheering.

Congratulations, comrade. You have been promoted to infantry.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
So things must've been pretty spicy yesterday. Pretty sure the numbers for dead, tanks and ifvs/apcs are the highest we've seen.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1715238026727555084?t=ylHCV6ghcyvU7tthSoLU-A&s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ATACMS or just wrecking poo poo?

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

ATACMS or just wrecking poo poo?

I don't think ATACMS.

More like the Russians trying really hard to wreck poo poo in Avdiivka but getting seriously counter wrecked in the process. That's probably the majority.

In addition to that the Ukrainians wrecking poo poo in multiple places. There seems to be some footholds on the left side of Dnipro (aka the Russian occupied side) which is causing some panic.

And more.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

They were losing 800-1000 per day once Avdiivka kicked off in earnest, 1380 is quite a jump.

Strange hill to die on, but you do you. :stare:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

InAndOutBrennan posted:

I don't think ATACMS.

More like the Russians trying really hard to wreck poo poo in Avdiivka but getting seriously counter wrecked in the process. That's probably the majority.

In addition to that the Ukrainians wrecking poo poo in multiple places. There seems to be some footholds on the left side of Dnipro (aka the Russian occupied side) which is causing some panic.

And more.
On the German Spiegel they reported that Russia again launched major attacks at Avdiivka in the last two days and had bad losses there (again).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

InAndOutBrennan posted:

So things must've been pretty spicy yesterday. Pretty sure the numbers for dead, tanks and ifvs/apcs are the highest we've seen.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1715238026727555084?t=ylHCV6ghcyvU7tthSoLU-A&s=19

Those numbers just look too high to be true. 55 tanks and 120 IFV in one day?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

"I don't care what it costs, the boss must see some results".

Looking forward to Aerogavin guy re-emerging when an M113 drills a panzer IV with a SLAP round.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
It has been the largest Russian attack since the offensives in and around Bakhmut last winter, and I do not doubt that it will later be verified to be larger. However, it seems the DNR 1st Corps has played a large role in this, so while it is Russian equipment getting wrecked it is probably Ukrainians mostly doing the dying.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Action-Bastard posted:

Congratulations, comrade. You have been promoted to infantry.

Makes me wonder about whatever happened re: that story in mid 2022 about guards from the ICBM department (Strategic Rocket Forces) being thrown into frontline infantry roles, Starship Troopers style.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1715246483358838845

quote:

Ukraine’s top diplomat says Biden and Zelensky discussed future delivery of newer missiles that can reach up to 300 km

Oh it's going to be real loving funny if this happens.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

PurpleXVI posted:

Hhahahhahahahahahaha

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

quote:

Ukraine’s top diplomat says Biden and Zelensky discussed future delivery of newer missiles that can reach up to 300 km

300km would put the entirety of Russian-occupied Ukraine in range from Ukraine-held territory.

I expect that there will continue to be a restriction on not using it against Russian territory, but two thirds of the Crimean bridge is on Ukrainian territory, so ...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The Russian Navy is going to have to keep their flag level meetings in the occupied areas to under 5 minutes.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Sometimes I wonder how much it would improve my work if large meetings always came with the danger of getting a 500kg unitary warhead delivered to the meeting room.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Antigravitas posted:

Sometimes I wonder how much it would improve my work if large meetings always came with the danger of getting a 500kg unitary warhead delivered to the meeting room.

Going by how long our company formations lasted on our mortar-bait FOB, not much.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1715301851287933338

Bit more polished, bit less of the earnest praise praise we've seen in the past, but here are some Ukrainians with a Leopard 2 being interviewed by a Ukrainian news channel of some sort. They claim they did in 9 weeks the amount of training that Swedish tank drivers for the same tank would get in 1.5 years.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

GD_American posted:

Going by how long our company formations lasted on our mortar-bait FOB, not much.

I hate to tell you what was actually the bait.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Melthir posted:

I hate to tell you what was actually the bait.

Oh, E-7 and below was acutely aware.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Never mortar someone actively wishing for the sweet release of death. Wait until they're having chow, enjoying some down time, or best of all, asleep.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Never mortar someone actively wishing for the sweet release of death. Wait until they're having chow, enjoying some down time, or best of all, asleep.

Crossposting the state of Russian steampipesmortars.

https://x.com/andrewperpetua/status/1715031819383345621?s=46

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

As someone who was the pogiest of pogs to ever pog a pog in their MOS, I don't get it? Could you break that one down a bit for those of us who are slow in the head and worked in maintenance? I'm not entirely sure I ever even got familiarity training on mortars so it's all foreign to me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Idk what’s going on there either, but it’s not as bad as video of the poor bastard that tried to hang mortar rounds upside down, twice in a row. I don’t understand Russian in the least, but “WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING YOU MORON???” is pretty easy to understand across languages.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's not an actual mortar- it's rusty pipe welded together the way Myanmar Rebels and the old IRA do it

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Roughly a tank battalion and 3-4 battalions of armored vehicles and a battalion of arty is a reinforced mechanized brigade of losses in a day basically.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's not an actual mortar- it's rusty pipe welded together the way Myanmar Rebels and the old IRA do it

Ok I take it back, that’s worse than the idiot i mentioned earlier :stonklol:

I just thought it was an old tube rusted to gently caress and back, not an improvised tube (still rusted to gently caress and back).

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I was thinking a tank or artillery shell. That's true smekalka right there

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Murgos posted:

Roughly a tank battalion and 3-4 battalions of armored vehicles and a battalion of arty is a reinforced mechanized brigade of losses in a day basically.

Aka "Blyat". There's a field that has changed hands at least a few times. Russians got it a few days ago. Ukr took it back a couple of days ago. Russians took it back day before yesterday. But it seems that came at a bit of a price.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I could be wrong on the pipe aspect- but it is most certainly a homemade mortar. I've seen a few IRL, and learned the academics of making them -which sounds way more complicated than roofing nail, railroad plate, and steel tubing. Some will be fit with ad hoc sights, or mounts for actual mortar sights.

They are typically found in Guerilla and Insurgent forces where mortar systems are difficult to come by. Craft made shells can be easily produced, and actual mortar bombs are easier to acquire.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I could be wrong on the pipe aspect- but it is most certainly a homemade mortar. I've seen a few IRL, and learned the academics of making them -which sounds way more complicated than roofing nail, railroad plate, and steel tubing. Some will be fit with ad hoc sights, or mounts for actual mortar sights.

They are typically found in Guerilla and Insurgent forces where mortar systems are difficult to come by. Craft made shells can be easily produced, and actual mortar bombs are easier to acquire.

When it's the Taliban or Hamas or the IRA using improvised mortars, I have no comment. This, however...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

PurpleXVI posted:

That's some top notch information war too.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's another video where they're showing off their elevation device that's made out of what appears to be different sized stacks of welded coins.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Based solely off of the shitload of videos coming out of Avdiivka, yeah I'd believe it. There's drone footage of more than a dozen tanks and IFVs eating it one right after the other, followed up by vast swathes of pocked market terrain littered with dozens upon dozens of corpses.

What a stupid pointless nightmare, gently caress Putin.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The footage coming out of Avdiivka makes those numbers believable. It's columns of armour rolling across open fields under constant watch of drones and getting shelled. From the footage it looks like Ukrainian artillery isn't suppressed at all and just keeps hitting columns of backed-up armour and clumped-up infantry in the wide open fields, over and over again.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It keeps happening bro. I warned you about artillery man. I told you!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1715301851287933338

Bit more polished, bit less of the earnest praise praise we've seen in the past, but here are some Ukrainians with a Leopard 2 being interviewed by a Ukrainian news channel of some sort. They claim they did in 9 weeks the amount of training that Swedish tank drivers for the same tank would get in 1.5 years.

As someone who's been though the Swedish Leo2 training I find that hard to believe. Back in my day tank crew were conscripted, I did 15 months in uniform 10 of which was all tank stuff more or less. Training was intense, days were often very long, and at the end I would describe us as "barely competent". Most of the guys I served with were pretty smart and quick learners too (one of the advantages of the conscription system I guess, the army gets to pick and choose) This was for the commander role though, drivers and gunners were in 12 months total, loaders 10, and those guys spent less time than I did on non-tank things. I can see training a decent loader happening in 9 weeks, especially if the person being trained can already tie their shoes and make their bed and fire a rifle. Driving a Leo2 in easy terrain in daylight isn't hard at all if you've ever driven a car but the tactical stuff our drivers were expected to handle as well as the repair/maintenance side of things isn't trivial to learn. Also all the finer details. For example we spent several days just learning to camouflage the things in a hurry. Mundane things like loading/unloading on trailers or rail cars, using various bridges, fording, recovery/towing etc. all took time. Especially night operations is really hard to do reasonably well compared to daylight despite all the gadgets and requires lots of practice (like several weeks of it) especially for drivers and commanders.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

When it's the Taliban or Hamas or the IRA using improvised mortars, I have no comment. This, however...

The IRA ones were mostly single use types converted from gas cannisters (14 inch diameter) and could be launched from the back of a van/lorry with holes cut in the roof or just plopped down in a field.

I remember them hitting a helicopter (it was hovering at a barracks)... such was my local news back then.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Invalido posted:

As someone who's been though the Swedish Leo2 training I find that hard to believe. Back in my day tank crew were conscripted, I did 15 months in uniform 10 of which was all tank stuff more or less. Training was intense, days were often very long, and at the end I would describe us as "barely competent". Most of the guys I served with were pretty smart and quick learners too (one of the advantages of the conscription system I guess, the army gets to pick and choose) This was for the commander role though, drivers and gunners were in 12 months total, loaders 10, and those guys spent less time than I did on non-tank things. I can see training a decent loader happening in 9 weeks, especially if the person being trained can already tie their shoes and make their bed and fire a rifle. Driving a Leo2 in easy terrain in daylight isn't hard at all if you've ever driven a car but the tactical stuff our drivers were expected to handle as well as the repair/maintenance side of things isn't trivial to learn. Also all the finer details. For example we spent several days just learning to camouflage the things in a hurry. Mundane things like loading/unloading on trailers or rail cars, using various bridges, fording, recovery/towing etc. all took time. Especially night operations is really hard to do reasonably well compared to daylight despite all the gadgets and requires lots of practice (like several weeks of it) especially for drivers and commanders.

Its likely more a matter of translation and priority. Its not that they completed all 70 weeks in 9 weeks, but that they managed to become minimally competent in 9 weeks. I suspect the sweedish instructors were more surprised by the "we have to teach them *what* and we have only 9 weeks?" than by the speed of the learning. Or more surprised by how minimally okish they were after only 9 weeks.

Things like loading onto rail cars are theoretically something you can teach to one tank and have them teach the others on their own time once their back east. And how much of that training would be immediately superceeded by other tankers actual combat experience and new TTPs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's some top notch information war too.

Right? Just throwing out that maybe Ukraine will get 300km range precision SRBMs should cause a rational actor to honor that threat and move even more stuff back from the front or spend effort hardening it or dedicate even more anti-air assets to defending it that could be used other places.