Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is a bit more of a hot take but the whole "Hamas was Bibi's creation" is sort of a rhetorical trick to try and get around the calls for "do you condemn Hamas? do you condemn Hamas???" that pro-Israel types yell at you whenever you try to talk about these things - instead of equivocating, or instead of saying "no, I do not condemn Hamas" (or the more inflammatory "Hamas ftw"), you simply turn the tables on the other party by whipping out that Israel is only getting what it asked for when it deliberately cultivated the growth of this group that's now attacking it

but like, and this is my personal opinion, even if it wasn't - even if Hamas was an entirely "organic" group that sprang out of the particular material conditions of Gaza and Palestine, they'd still be worthy of our support, because they're the ones fighting for Palestinian liberation

if the person you're talking to has comic book brain i wonder if you would convince them hamas is an anti-hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is a bit more of a hot take but the whole "Hamas was Bibi's creation" is sort of a rhetorical trick to try and get around the calls for "do you condemn Hamas? do you condemn Hamas???" that pro-Israel types yell at you whenever you try to talk about these things - instead of equivocating, or instead of saying "no, I do not condemn Hamas" (or the more inflammatory "Hamas ftw"), you simply turn the tables on the other party by whipping out that Israel is only getting what it asked for when it deliberately cultivated the growth of this group that's now attacking it

but like, and this is my personal opinion, even if it wasn't - even if Hamas was an entirely "organic" group that sprang out of the particular material conditions of Gaza and Palestine, they'd still be worthy of our support, because they're the ones fighting for Palestinian liberation

Hamas is retributive justice from Allah for Israels generations of unaccountable sins.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

well i wasn't buying russian propaganda, but if the european leader says it, i guess it must be true

i support putin's struggle against genocide now

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
Are Muslims actually being banned from Al Aqsa or is that false?

Nascardad has issued a correction as of 14:40 on Oct 20, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Valleyant posted:

Anything happen last night? There was more posts than usual

Israel destroyed one of the oldest churches on earth with 400 people inside.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

now just because israel called the hospital multiple times saying they were going to bomb it, and just because they bombed the hospital earlier, does not necessarily mean that they bombed the hospital
https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1714970229019725957

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The problem with that argument is that Israel is very much NOT getting what they asked for. The idea for Bibi was to keep the conflict on pause forever - he never thought that Hamas would do anything bigger than ineffectual yearly rocket barrages over and over and over, which Israel would shrug off thanks to the iron dome, until eventually the Palestinians in Gaza would just give up out of hopelessness. What's happening right now is not the culmination of Bibi's strategy, but rather that strategy blowing up in his face.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Israelis were calling them to warn them a Hamas rocket was going to misfire, only hit a parking lot, and basically do no damage.

-----------------

Yeah, you could argue that Likud has been favoring Hamas because it isolates Palestinians politically but it is hard to square this as a win for Israel at this point and polling is dreadful for Likud at this point. Hamas was suppose to be radical but largely helpless and now Israel is slowing trying to back off from pulling go in to "clear them out" because it is clear it is going to be a complete mess.

It is also funny that they are pretending they can "root out" Hamas with out basically fighting for every square each of Gaza, the guys have been honeycombing the entire strip for 20 years. There isn't an "easy" or "quick" solution.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:09 on Oct 20, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sancho Banana posted:

The problem with that argument is that Israel is very much NOT getting what they asked for. The idea for Bibi was to keep the conflict on pause forever - he never thought that Hamas would do anything bigger than ineffectual yearly rocket barrages over and over and over, which Israel would shrug off thanks to the iron dome, until eventually the Palestinians in Gaza would just give up out of hopelessness. What's happening right now is not the culmination of Bibi's strategy, but rather that strategy blowing up in his face.

this is a good response, thank you

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Ardennes posted:

The Israelis were calling them to warn them a Hamas rocket was going to misfire, only hit a parking lot, and basically do no damage.

I know you're joking (I assume you're joking?) but that courtyard was huge and it warped pavement and completely destroyed every vehicle within 30 meters of the impact site

That's the same blast radius of a JDAM, btw:
https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/CoIGaza/Kill_Radius_Compared.pdf

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 13:10 on Oct 20, 2023

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Valleyant posted:

Anything happen last night? There was more posts than usual

Koos has been culling like every day, bound to catch some 'spammers...

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
if you post in d&d youve given up the right to be surprised when youre dragged into the dungeon

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
israel has called up their entire reserves so they have no excuses when they inevitably eat poo poo and lose

https://twitter.com/alarabytv/status/1715335180724895851?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I know you're joking (I assume you're joking?) but that courtyard was huge and it warped pavement and completely destroyed every vehicle within 30 meters of the blast radius

That's the same blast radius of a JDAM, btw:
https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/CoIGaza/Kill_Radius_Compared.pdf

Just sarcasm, they have a new angle on the hospital about every 2-3 hours.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I don't know anything else about Clare Daly, but she rules.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Al-Saqr posted:

israel has called up their entire reserves so they have no excuses when they inevitably eat poo poo and lose

https://twitter.com/alarabytv/status/1715335180724895851?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

That's around half a million people, I assume. I'm curious how many of those are combatants.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Kind of surprised they are going now, thought they would wait till that second American carrier made it over

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ohtori Akio posted:

my unemployment routine

wake up at noon

fix coffee, big miso soup, rice and eggs

open SA

lock on to the nearest ai bernie av, call him a knukcle dragging retard

go for a walk, maybe get some groceries

back home - read a bit of a library book

find another politics guy to call a mouth breathing virgin

dinner. more miso soup, maybe a curry or sandwich if i'm hungry

time for bed!

loving tasty rear end day goddamn

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

:hmmyes:

gently caress no i'm not condemning hamas or their actions, because as a comfortable western dipshit it's very much not up to me to decide how an oppressed people in the global south should conduct their resistance against genocidal occupation.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

there’s direct line of political awareness from tupac to mack

Tupacklemore

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

Kind of surprised they are going now, thought they would wait till that second American carrier made it over

they arent going in right now just calling up all their reserves

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
That makes more sense. Well sounds like they know war with Lebanon/Hezbollah is inevitable.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sancho Banana posted:

That's around half a million people, I assume. I'm curious how many of those are combatants.

none of them, they have an army consisting of fat poo poo for brain cops who love shooting children, and teenagers blasted off their tits on rave drugs paid for by the US taxpayer

they will be scythed through like wheat if they step foot in gaza and they know it

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

FlapYoJacks posted:

Israel destroyed one of the oldest churches on earth with 400 people inside.

IMHO that's bad

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What was the defining well poisoning event for the boomers against Palestine? Combo of Munich and 9/11?

I was on this dudes 1995 style e-mail style newsletter until he died after a fall at home a few years ago.

Dude was screaming into the void right up until the day he died. Killing Hope was one of my first “oh wow the USA sucks” books

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

That makes more sense. Well sounds like they know war with Lebanon/Hezbollah is inevitable.

Others in this thread have mentioned it before, but that might be what they want - a larger regional war to secure direct American aid in their invasion Gaza. That's why they're constantly bombing inside Syrian and Lebanese territory. Whether it'll actually work is up for debate.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

We need a new PLO funded by like Taylor swift.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
what percentage of israeli society is the reserves? obviously everyone (except the orthodox guys) serves in the IDF so in theory they should be able to call on almost the entire population if poo poo hits the fan? (pretend i posted the HOI conscription level screenshot)

anyway hamas ftw

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Sancho Banana posted:

Others in this thread have mentioned it before, but that might be what they want - a larger regional war to secure direct American aid in their invasion Gaza. That's why they're constantly bombing inside Syrian and Lebanese territory. Whether it'll actually work is up for debate.

its going to backfire and israel and the US will get their poo poo wrecked

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Its also wild that a heavily sanctioned Iran managed to get a hypersonic missile before the americans lol and here comes the manufactured consent to go to war with Iran

https://twitter.com/TheHillOpinion/status/1715343580502335541

Death By The Blues has issued a correction as of 13:32 on Oct 20, 2023

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Its also wild that a heavily sanctioned Iran managed to get a hypersonic missile before the americans lol

wasn't the latest american line that hypersonic missiles (used in ukraine) weren't actually real and it was russian fake news

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ardennes is right in his analysis, especially the part of the unlikelyhood of another arab spring happening, but who knows if the war is big enough or disastrous enough or if israel is defeated. lets see.

this feels like israel and america have realiized they cant stop iran from getting a nuke so they want to destroy the region and themselves rather than live in that reality

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

what percentage of israeli society is the reserves? obviously everyone (except the orthodox guys) serves in the IDF so in theory they should be able to call on almost the entire population if poo poo hits the fan? (pretend i posted the HOI conscription level screenshot)

anyway hamas ftw

Not all IDF soldiers serve in the reserves as far as I know - combatants and important support roles do, but last I heard, for more minor stuff reserve service is optional and the length of it varies. Then there's draft dodgers, refusers, arab Israelis who I'm pretty sure are exempt and people who are let off the hook because they're in a wheelchair or something. In conclusion - I don't know.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Starsfan posted:

I find it hard to believe that 4 US diplomats were horrified at the barbarism of the plans their Israeli counterparts were explaining to them.. Cheering and egging them on more like it

Naw I believe it, even for people that sign up to be part of the empire openly doing a genocide is stepping over the line.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Its also wild that a heavily sanctioned Iran managed to get a hypersonic missile before the americans lol and here comes the manufactured consent to go to war with Iran

https://twitter.com/TheHillOpinion/status/1715343580502335541

We couldn't have just..... had it, you know? This is our inheritance.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Valleyant posted:

IMHO that's bad

they also destroyed the 3rd oldest mosque in the world a few hours later

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

america putting a gorillion dollars into their hypersonic missile prototypes, but forgetting that dollar bills have flame retardants in them which just makes them slower

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

also i would like to petition the world historical society to name this upcoming cataclysmic war 'The Corn Pop war'.

im pretty sure Biden thinks Hassan Nasrallah was Corn Pop in that 1970's Delaware swimming pool.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 13:38 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ABC/status/1715344774616490297?s=20