Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

MJeff posted:

Doesn't SEGA own Miku? What's the problem?

Yamaha owns all the vocaloids, SEGA just does project diva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Relyssa posted:

Yamaha owns all the vocaloids, SEGA just does project diva.

Yamaha make the vocaloid software but Miku and friends are put out by Crypton Future Media who don’t even use the actual vocaloid software anymore because it got too good (sounded too much like an actual human) so they made their own software designed to emphasise what they see as the distinct appeal of the sound of old versions of vocaloid.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This is the most recent miku thing I saw and I don't remember why
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3MrwYH3hCY

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

wateyad posted:

Yamaha make the vocaloid software but Miku and friends are put out by Crypton Future Media who don’t even use the actual vocaloid software anymore because it got too good (sounded too much like an actual human) so they made their own software designed to emphasise what they see as the distinct appeal of the sound of old versions of vocaloid.

Huh, today I learned. Thanks for clearing that up.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

RareAcumen posted:

Probably a lukewarm take at this point but I think Sonic needs more spinoff games . If there were a regular competitive series like Sonic Riders or Sonic Racing, I wonder if they'd care about putting comic characters or like, The Babylon Rogues or Sticks in if it's just a party game like that instead of a mainline thing.

Okay, stay with me here: What if we make a Smash Bros clone but with only Sonic the Hedgehog characters?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i do long for the days of half a dozen spinoffs between each major title. the olympics and racing games aren't enough...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Larryb posted:

They should make another Sonic Riders game (or remake Free Riders with a normal control scheme)

The Zero Gravity Labs mods of Riders and Zero Gravity are cool

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

Okay, stay with me here: What if we make a Smash Bros clone but with only Sonic the Hedgehog characters?

So Sonic The Fighters 2 essentially? I’d be down for that

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Zero Gravity Labs mods of Riders and Zero Gravity are cool

Never heard of those, what do they change/add?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Beat the egg samurai thing

Cool boss, dragged on a bit but was preparing for the worst off what people were saying and wound up just 'oh that's kinda easy'

Aside from the bad soundtrack the thing I hated most was just how long the levels are. Flying Battery in Mania was a marathon level yeah but almost every stage with constant movement had me rubbing up against 7-8 minutes, and Egg Samurai on two attempts was like past the 10 minute mark and it's just holy poo poo trim it down please

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Larryb posted:

https://www.exgearlabs.org/patch-notes/rg-patch-notes/rg-v1-0-patch-notes

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Larryb posted:

Way too many things to just list. You're best reading about them here.

https://www.exgearlabs.org/home

There's also recently a mod made for Sonic Free Riders which cuts the Kinect functionality completely and lets you play the game with a regular controller, making the game infinitely more playable. You do need to run it on the Xenia 360 emulator though.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Sea Lily posted:

So, seems like you get the Metal (Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Amy) parts for each character by completing the Act [Character] stages, you get the Item Box head for beating every stage in the story mode (i think?), you get Trip's helmet for beating the first level in Trip's story, and I assume you get the Metal Trip parts for beating Trip's story (or doing something during Trip's story?). But I haven't seen any explanation for how to get the Metal NiGHTS parts. Do any of yall know what I need to do for those? Or if there's any other unlockable parts I've missed?

if you haven't seen Metal NiGHTS yet:

https://x.com/Tracker_TD/status/1714951036618616858?s=20

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ok, the game stealing the emeralds from you for the Zone 8 fight was just mean (though the fight itself was unique at least)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the bosses are genuinely bad enough that they drag down the game as a whole for me

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The bosses are the worst part of the game, yeah. Also while I appreciate them extending the timer it would have been nice if they just gave you the option to turn it off like in previous modern 2D games

The only one I didn’t really have much issue with was the one in Zone 4 (mostly because you can just no sell him in a matter of seconds with Tails or Amy)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 20, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ok that owns

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can you unlock the cute voxel models

I like the normal look but wouldn't mind being pixel pals

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1715062468735823968

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Sonic Battle showed that the base design can't keep you from designing unique attack animations for it, and Sonic's got enough of a roster for it so I say go for it. People like Kirby enough to justify Star Allies existing and bringing everyone back to be playable, I don't see the harm in it!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I got moon moon

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

What happens if you do this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So does the cutscene with Trip at the end of Zone 8 change at all if you don’t have all 7 emeralds by that point?

Also the gimmick in Cyber Station was kind of neat and the boss wasn’t nearly as bad as some people made it out to be (I just used Super form to get through the first phase and the second was fairly straightforward), also I assume it changes depending on how you customized your robot (in my case I got Mecha Sonic)

Skeletome posted:

What happens if you do this?

You unlock NiGHTs in Battle Mode

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 20, 2023

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I love whenever NiGHTs gets referenced, I'll always adore that non-binary jester icon!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skeletome posted:

I love whenever NiGHTs gets referenced, I'll always adore that non-binary jester icon!

But what about the true successor to Nights and Sonic, Balen?!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i always appreciate people who capitalize NiGHTS' name correctly

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/idwsonicnews/status/1715226086663967142?s=46&t=idHOluBX7WY76GN9uEVUwg

Fang mini-series

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Looper posted:

i always appreciate people who capitalize NiGHTS' name correctly
i love my nights lego set by sega :classiclol:

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Someone uploaded a 2 hour YouTube documentary a week ago about SatAM and more specifically about the writer (Ben Hurst) and his attempts to get a 3rd season made. It drags pretty hard at times because the first 60% is mostly just forum posts and emails being read by a pretentious sounding voice actor. The last 40% though is really interesting - it's a synopsis of Hurst's plans for season 3.

The season was going to focus on Nicole and her backstory. She would have been a real person/mobian who had her mind uploaded to a computer, killing her physical body in the process (by Robotnik of course). The plot gets a bit awkward and twists itself up trying to figure out how to get Nicole into Sally's hands and explaining why Nicole doesn't seem to remember who she is. Long story short, she discovers she has mind control powers, concludes that saving the world from Robotnik would result in everyone losing their free will, and engineers a plan where she ends up in Sally's hands and then wipes everyone's memories of her, including herself. The season would then focus on her and Sonic rediscovering her past. Awkwardness aside I think there was a ton of potential there and I would have loved to watch it.

The documentary depicts Nicole using her design from the Archie comics. I looked it up and that design premiered in #151 in July 2005 while Hurst had been planning a 3rd season since the show ended in 1996 up until at least the late 2000's. Presumably he had something in mind for her but the documentary doesn't mention it at all, not even whether she would have been a lynx. I really love her reboot design from the comics and if season 3 had been made that version of her probably wouldn't exist so maybe there's a silver lining to this whole thing.

The last thing I want to mention is that the documentary depicts Hurst as a bit of a failure, a man who struggled to get his dream project off the ground but found himself turned down over and over. I hope that's not the full story and that he had other successes and didn't let this consume him because otherwise it's a pretty sad story.

Check it out if you're interested. I recommend watching at least the "Ben's Conclusion: The Beginning" segment starting around 1h15m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNJpExBkhZk

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently there were plans to introduce Knuckles and give Tails a bigger role as well

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Larryb posted:

Apparently there were plans to introduce Knuckles and give Tails a bigger role as well

Yeah they mentioned both those things. They were going to have a whole storyline about Tails growing up and become a real member of the freedom fighters rather than just some kid. And for Knuckles he was going to appear but how much was unclear - they quoted a few different people involved in the show and their answers varied wildly. I think it's mostly accepted that the red eyes that appear at the end of season 2 belong to Naugus but the documentary plays a clip where someone from the show, I forget who, says it was actually Knuckles.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

acetcx posted:

Yeah they mentioned both those things. They were going to have a whole storyline about Tails growing up and become a real member of the freedom fighters rather than just some kid. And for Knuckles he was going to appear but how much was unclear - they quoted a few different people involved in the show and their answers varied wildly. I think it's mostly accepted that the red eyes that appear at the end of season 2 belong to Naugus but the documentary plays a clip where someone from the show, I forget who, says it was actually Knuckles.

Really? I could have sworn it was confirmed a while back that the eyes belonged to Naugus

It’s still a pity Tails was pretty much just there in the show we did get and wasn’t allowed to do much, though the Archie comic fixed that eventually at least

It’s also weird that Tails was left out of Underground, you could have easily made him an orphan being raised by Chuck alongside Sonic (which would naturally lead to a whole subplot about him feeling jealous/inferior due to the relationship Sonic has with Manic and Sonia). Speaking of, it’s also weird they had Jaleel White voice Sonia instead of somebody like Tress MacNeille or something

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 20, 2023

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Larryb posted:

Really? I could have sworn it was confirmed a while back that the eyes belonged to Naugus

Ah yeah to be clear Hurst definitely said it was Naugus but I guess not everyone involved in the show was on the same page.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

my wish is for them to just make a second series a la universe but about classic characters

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fang should be Tangle and Whisper’s archenemy so we can get more Fang stories.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Looper posted:

my wish is for them to just make a second series a la universe but about classic characters

My wish is for them to let classic only characters like Fang and Mighty interact with modern sonic ones.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I too want Shadow and Mighty to kiss

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

My wish is for them to let classic only characters like Fang and Mighty interact with modern sonic ones.

Yeah, as I’ve said before it’s stupid to lock characters behind specific eras like this (besides, the Archie comic never had a problem with those two and others interacting with the modern cast so why should now be any different?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 20, 2023

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Egg Fortress boss can lick the entirety of my nuts for making you start the whole drat thing over again if you eat it in the second phase. These bosses take too long!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

Egg Fortress boss can lick the entirety of my nuts for making you start the whole drat thing over again if you eat it in the second phase. These bosses take too long!

Trip’s version apparently adds instakill attacks to the mix as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is this any different from Sonic 2 forcing you to fight Mecha Sonic again if you die to the Death Egg Robot?