Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
What we've demonstrated is that Jim Jordan has a weaker sense of shame than Scalise, but will he be able to beat McCarthy recent record?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Morrow posted:

What we've demonstrated is that Jim Jordan has a weaker sense of shame than Scalise, but will he be able to beat McCarthy recent record?

I think things fall apart for him too quickly for that

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

McCarthy at least was gaining ground or standing pat, wasn't he? He just had the same group of assholes he was trying to get on board. Jordon's basically proving that the more he tries to convince people to help him out the less of them can tolerate him.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
How often is Jordan allowed to call for a vote? Is there a point somebody can say "gently caress off, we're done voting for you?"

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Morrow posted:

Jordan has no sense of shame.

Related: He officially has less votes this round than the last now, 24 against and counting.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Jordon's trying to do what McCarthy did and just keep forcing votes and slowly inch away at his opposition. But its going the opposite way for him. He's actually making McCarthy look like he knew what he was doing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New Jersey Congessman Tom Kean Jr. (a party bigshot whose dad was the last popular Republican governor of New Jersey and Chairman of the 9/11 Commission) was supporting Jordan, but says that it is clear that he isn't able to get enough votes.

He says the most important thing is opening the House back up and being closed for three weeks while there are global crises and natural disasters at home is not working for the American people. He won't support Jordan on the next vote and will only be voting for Kevin McCarthy until it becomes clear that someone else has the ability to get 2017 votes for Speaker.

https://twitter.com/CongressmanKean/status/1715388494720152033

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mannerup posted:

he gained ground or held each vote, even at his lowest (19) he was above Jordan

Ha, Jordan can't even present himself as a better alternative to McCarthy :sickos:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
McCarthy also was able to make promises to cajole people into voting for him. Whats Gym got? Having people call in death threats? If you threaten people and they vote no anyways, you got nothing. And he has nothing to promise.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like we are going to settle in at 25 GOP votes against Jordan. He lost 3 more, and gained none.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OctaMurk posted:

McCarthy also was able to make promises to cajole people into voting for him. Whats Gym got? Having people call in death threats? If you threaten people and they vote no anyways, you got nothing. And he has nothing to promise.

I did hear one analyst on TV give an explanation (why keep humiliating Jordan?) that made sense. They basically have to show the MAGA grassroots idiots the body to prove that the swamp won't let them rule the house. They put up someone who is far deeper into Trumplandia than almost anyone else, and ostensibly tried as hard as they could to get him elected. Once the voters understand it can't happen, then maybe they could get serious?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jake Tapper on CNN, who I don't remember usually being this brutal, right now:

quote:

Reporter: We're getting confirmation from multiple sources that several votes are expected to flip away from Jordan after he met with them. They reportedly were upset that Jordan told them to stop complaining to him about death threats because he doesn't control them and isn't organizing them.

Tapper: If only there was something in his background that would suggest he would stand by and look away when bad things were going on.

Reporter: Other supporters of Jordan are starting to eye the exits as well because they don't see a viable path forward when he is losing votes each time they try again.

Tapper: He is just doing worse. But I recognize that Congressman Jordan is not somebody who necessarily respects election results

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Rigel posted:

I did hear one analyst on TV give an explanation (why keep humiliating Jordan?) that made sense. They basically have to show the MAGA grassroots idiots the body to prove that the swamp won't let them rule the house. They put up someone who is far deeper into Trumplandia than almost anyone else, and ostensibly tried as hard as they could to get him elected. Once the voters understand it can't happen, then maybe they could get serious?

While that is fairly sound logic I don't think logic works on that crowd. They'll just keep pushing harder and shouting louder. If that doesn't work they will just declare Jordan as the "Real" Speaker and accept that as reality.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
McCarthy getting the seat back now seems like a possibility? Which is wild.

I suppose that would effectively end the house freedumb caucuses ability to demand concessions though since it's now been shown to be completely hollow and just a disaster for the republican party from pretty much every perspective.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They have temporarily given up on voting for a new permanent Speaker and now several dozen Republicans are circulating a petition to vote to vacate the temporary Speaker as well.

It's not even clear why they would want to take a break from finding a Speaker to do this. It's just a wild clown show where the writers are getting lazy and inserting dramatic twists for no reason.

https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/1715395074199097846

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They have temporarily given up on voting for a new permanent Speaker and now several dozen Republicans are circulating a petition to vote to vacate the temporary Speaker as well.

It's not even clear why they would want to take a break from finding a Speaker to do this. It's just a wild clown show where the writers are getting lazy and inserting dramatic twists for no reason.

lol i hope the dems vote to vacate also

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mannerup posted:

saw this floating around, the text says "position of elected speaker pro tempore", which McHenry currently isn't.

lmao. It does. It should say "Acting Speaker pro tempore."

I assume this is just a draft they are circulating, but who knows anymore. Usually, members of Congress draft resolutions and then run them by their staff and legal team + the parliamentarian to clean up language.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jake Tapper on CNN, who I don't remember usually being this brutal, right now:

Just had another nice quip too:

quote:

reporter: Jim Jordan is also a vote counter....

Tapper: ...Not a good one.....

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

One problem with that is that Jordan is very much "The Swamp" as he's been in Congress for over 15 years and he's poo poo.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Hmmm, maybe it's a play to get the next-in-line for temp Speaker and hope that they are more open to taking on an expanded role? McHenry has flat out said he doesn't want more power and would step down if they forced it on him.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gym Jordan reportedly broke the record (since the house was expanded to 435) for the fewest votes for speaker, as the majority nominee, from the majority party.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Angry_Ed posted:

One problem with that is that Jordan is very much "The Swamp" as he's been in Congress for over 15 years and he's poo poo.

Yes, but he’s been circling the drain that whole time

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Retro42 posted:

Hmmm, maybe it's a play to get the next-in-line for temp Speaker and hope that they are more open to taking on an expanded role? McHenry has flat out said he doesn't want more power and would step down if they forced it on him.

McHenry could step down on his own if he wanted. It doesn't make sense to try and force a removal vote because he said he doesn't want to be a permanent Speaker.

I kind of hope it happens just for the history books. The first Speaker ever forcefully removed in the history of the country and then the first Speaker pro tem in history ever forcibly removed three weeks later.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Angry_Ed posted:

Eh, I dunno, like most fascist rhetoric saying "The Swamp" is hollow when it comes to definition. Just because he's been in the swamp for over a decade doesn't mean he's in the swamp in their eyes. Any word they use is best interpreted as "That thing I don't like". While the stink of loser might stick to him and make him a lesser in the eyes of the base, he's currently the loudest rear end in a top hat in the extreme right wing caucus screaming all the right poo poo about the perfidious "other". I don't think the base will apply the label of swamp to him as long as he's leading insurrection attempts and screaming about how horrible it is that Democrats shot Hannibal.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

"The Swamp" isn't a noun, its a nickname. Right wing fash have been using "uniparty" as the real word they oppose, and see any action that doesn't cause the other side to painfully howl to be aligned against them. They view themselves as an outsider force, and as such any compromise that lets both sides walk away with heads held high is seen as a ploy to gently caress the little guy.

HFC , and the chuds they represent, need to show people hurt and in pain because thats the only validation they believe in.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mannerup posted:

https://twitter.com/mariannareports/status/1715405269591597410?s=61&t=2Pb_yZHE_WtRgW6aimKvWQ

this is the saddest leverage they have, basically telling the gop conference they can punish them any way they see fit (which will only increase their conservative cred) for making Jordan speaker

There is no way Matt Gaetz is willing to face consequences for any actions he's taken ever.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

mannerup posted:

https://twitter.com/mariannareports/status/1715405269591597410?s=61&t=2Pb_yZHE_WtRgW6aimKvWQ

this is the saddest leverage they have, basically telling the gop conference they can punish them any way they see fit (which will only increase their conservative cred) for making Jordan speaker

So "Give us what we want and we'll say you won?".

Honestly about as much as I would expect from Gaetz.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

mannerup posted:

Guess the republicans should get some paddles.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Ither posted:

Guess the republicans should get some paddles.

Don't give Jordan ideas, he's clearly into public S&M.

There's got to be betting pools out there for when Jordan calls it quits. Assuming Price is Right rules; I'm betting after the 4rth vote with 180 votes before he quits.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Put them all in stocks on the Mall. I'd book a flight to throw tomatoes.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Retro42 posted:

So "Give us what we want and we'll say you won?".

Honestly about as much as I would expect from Gaetz.

Am I reading too much intent into this entire thing, or was this entire thing done with the plan of giving the Speakership to Jordan? The 8 seem far too invested in a Jordan speakership to be an organic possibility from the process. That and the death threats from MAGA Online types makes this whole thing seem very orchestrated.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Am I reading too much intent into this entire thing, or was this entire thing done with the plan of giving the Speakership to Jordan? The 8 seem far too invested in a Jordan speakership to be an organic possibility from the process. That and the death threats from MAGA Online types makes this whole thing seem very orchestrated.

Maybe not specifically Jordan but yeah, Gaetz was always out to give the "moderate" McCarthy the boot so a more insane Speaker could take his place. Well, to be honest I don't think Gaetz even thought THAT far ahead and most likely just wanted the chance to shout and flail about and make some headlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Starting to seem that way. I'd be hesitant to give any of them credit as "planners", but it certainly seems possible that they thought they could hijack things by torpedoing all other options. It's always worked for them before.