Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Relyssa posted:

You can actually pick them up but it's suuuuuper finicky about positioning and there's a very narrow space you have to be in for it to work. Make absolutely sure it says pickup before pressing the button. I managed it on a survivor trying to abuse it.

Yeah I tried for a good 40 seconds and the Kate kept moving slightly, I never saw the prompt to pick her up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

Yeah I tried for a good 40 seconds and the Kate kept moving slightly, I never saw the prompt to pick her up.

Ahh, the one I nabbed at least had the decency to stop moving. I can see it being a big issue if they wiggle around while you're doing it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Comfortador posted:

I personally like the game, and I don't know wtf you're talking about with "redesign work" but this is ridiculous.

I say redesign because it’s quite clear that the game in play is much, much faster than the developers intended and it makes actual play really different from what even the tutorials describe.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Skimming through the DbD subreddit while on break at work and I come across someone complaining about how they can't dodge P100 survivors anymore and as a result they couldn't even get a down in a couple of their games

Dog what in the HELL is that build

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I also sometimes get completely skunked. If that happens I don't even go to the gate, lol, gently caress 'em

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Danaru posted:

Skimming through the DbD subreddit while on break at work and I come across someone complaining about how they can't dodge P100 survivors anymore and as a result they couldn't even get a down in a couple of their games

Dog what in the HELL is that build

The Doctor? Doesn't seem that unusual to me? His static blast works on Oblivious if that's what you're talking about with Plaything

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nah it's the stacking info perks on Doctor when Doctor can just poo poo lightning and follow screams. I genuinely can't think of a killer who could benefit from I'm All Ears less

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Give me your most fun absolutely no meta perks survivor build.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Red Herring/Repressed Alliance/Fixated/Spine Chill. Killer gets near-ish, spring Repressed, power walk away to a locker. Gen blows up, killer moves in to an abandoned gen they can't kick

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DeathChicken posted:

Red Herring/Repressed Alliance/Fixated/Spine Chill. Killer gets near-ish, spring Repressed, power walk away to a locker. Gen blows up, killer moves in to an abandoned gen they can't kick

<:mad:>

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Kwolok posted:

Blast mine + Repressed Alliance now have amazing synergy because Blastmine is applied while not working on a gen and Repressed Alliance is. Set up your two minute explosion timer, hide nearby, wait for them to kick, and then repress the gen while they're blind and watch them get confused as to why they can't kick it.
Bonus perks: quick and quiet to run away or hide silently and quickly, and Wiretap so you can watch them get blinded (and then use the wiretap to run, it doesn't get destroyed on a blast kick). Dark Sense (when a gen is finished, the next time the killer gets close you read their aura) and Residual Manifest (blinding the killer applies aura blindness for 30 seconds) also come at the recommendation of a friend.
As a fun side effect, this counters Pop Goes the Weasel inadvertently.

The same friend that pointed out those perk interactions also made this video a couple weeks ago.

https://reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/s/tyx7px3Rnj

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

First page of the event Tome finished, so long Dead By Daylight until next weekend, Spider-Man 2 calls me today.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This challenge to have a haunt trigger against an opponent is rough. As Killer you have to cede a lot of pressure to set up the haunts, and as a survivor you have three other people that can gently caress it up by triggering the haunts instead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

This challenge to have a haunt trigger against an opponent is rough. As Killer you have to cede a lot of pressure to set up the haunts, and as a survivor you have three other people that can gently caress it up by triggering the haunts instead.

Oh yeah I did that one as killer and pretty much ignored the survivors. Did a slowdown build -

Hex: Ruin
Hex: Thrill of the Hunt
Hex: Face the Darkness
Hex: Pentimento

Just ran around gathering points and slapping someone to activate FTD here and there, after 2 gens I had I think 3 ghosts out, and someone finally ran into one. I had planned on downing someone and then letting them wriggle free next to one if it didn't happen organically.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Just do it as killer and cede the pressure one time. It's ok to lose a match. I've been doing the void as killer just for the BP and often a haunt will go off before I've finished dumping my energy.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

curiousTerminal posted:

Blast mine + Repressed Alliance now have amazing synergy because Blastmine is applied while not working on a gen and Repressed Alliance is. Set up your two minute explosion timer, hide nearby, wait for them to kick, and then repress the gen while they're blind and watch them get confused as to why they can't kick it.
Bonus perks: quick and quiet to run away or hide silently and quickly, and Wiretap so you can watch them get blinded (and then use the wiretap to run, it doesn't get destroyed on a blast kick). Dark Sense (when a gen is finished, the next time the killer gets close you read their aura) and Residual Manifest (blinding the killer applies aura blindness for 30 seconds) also come at the recommendation of a friend.
As a fun side effect, this counters Pop Goes the Weasel inadvertently.

The same friend that pointed out those perk interactions also made this video a couple weeks ago.

https://reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/s/tyx7px3Rnj

This has made me really tempted to try Blast Mine/Flashbang/Residual Manifest for maximum killer annoyance. I'd squeeze a fourth one in but I refuse to not use Kindred in solo queue even in my gimmick builds.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sokani posted:

Just do it as killer and cede the pressure one time. It's ok to lose a match. I've been doing the void as killer just for the BP and often a haunt will go off before I've finished dumping my energy.

Yeah there are a lot of challenges where I'll just give up on winning if it means getting the challenge over with. Those damned green glyphs

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I once abandoned a match entirely to go chase after glyphs, I then had someone yelling at me about tunneling after it was over. That one's always stuck with me, what the actual gently caress

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/espbeee/status/1715363468788789588?t=Sp04umuvU6roHOStJxnJ7g&s=19

So hey anyone know if Sadako's discounted for the event asking for a friend

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Merciless Storm doctor is really rough to deal with.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

Merciless Storm doctor is really rough to deal with.

I did the "do 8 skill checks" tome challenge earlier today and got a drat skill check Doctor. At least there were plenty to do heh.

I don't use Merciless Storm, but I do use Scourge Hook: Floods of Rage frequently. I did some Xenomorph matches today with Floods of Rage/Lethal and it was crazy how quick you can find people after an unhook.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

I did the "do 8 skill checks" tome challenge earlier today and got a drat skill check Doctor. At least there were plenty to do heh.

I don't use Merciless Storm, but I do use Scourge Hook: Floods of Rage frequently. I did some Xenomorph matches today with Floods of Rage/Lethal and it was crazy how quick you can find people after an unhook.

Floods is really underrated imo. Pairs extremely nicely with Lethal, naturally.

e: I got a flashlight save today! I'm really bad at those, so I'm pretty happy with that. Also almost got a flashbang save but I was just ever so slightly too late. Got the blind but the person got hooked anyway.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 20, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Man if you let a teammate go through two full hook stages then I ain’t giving you hatch.

Just chilling next to the gate.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's not DBD, but I'm posting this here anyway since it's a BHVR game, and it's hard to not see very familiar design philosophies in play here. In short, Meet Your Maker, the game where you design fiendish fortresses full of traps and enemies, and then have other players raid them in an effort to get treasure and whatnot, is practically dead. It's averaging under 30 concurrent players on Steam and it's been out barely six months.

Otz did a video on why he thinks the game died, and this all feels very familiar to DBD players. The tl;dr is that they've added so many get out of jail for free tools for the dungeon raiders that it's nuts. They've added a rechargeable shield that completely lets you ignore any traps or enemies. They've added a feature that literally paints a path on the ground directing you to the treasure with the shortest route. They've added co-op (good!) where you can just revive your partner endlessly with no penalty, and you can also drop recharging respawn points in case you both die at the same time (bad!). It's gotten so bad that you can just go blind into a fortress someone spent countless hours tweaking, and blast through it in two minutes with zero deaths. Otz does this several times in the video! And as a result people don't bother spending a ton of time making fortresses anymore because the only way you get rewards for building dungeons is if people die repeatedly in them, and so there's nothing to play, and so the game is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lStX7JDrPo

I'm not saying this is proof that DBD is going to die as well because I honestly think DBD has too much inertia and too many popular licenses to truly die. But it is fascinating to see them do the same kinds of design decisions in another game without those benefits, and the results of those decisions. I'm also not going to pretend it's easy to design and balance a game like this so that both sides have a fun and rewarding experience,

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Had a game against a Freddy who filled up my AFC bar while I was on stage 2. The system works!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Otz did a video on why he thinks the game died, and this all feels very familiar to DBD players. The tl;dr is that they've added so many get out of jail for free tools for the dungeon raiders that it's nuts. They've added a rechargeable shield that completely lets you ignore any traps or enemies. They've added a feature that literally paints a path on the ground directing you to the treasure with the shortest route. They've added co-op (good!) where you can just revive your partner endlessly with no penalty, and you can also drop recharging respawn points in case you both die at the same time (bad!). It's gotten so bad that you can just go blind into a fortress someone spent countless hours tweaking, and blast through it in two minutes with zero deaths. Otz does this several times in the video! And as a result people don't bother spending a ton of time making fortresses anymore because the only way you get rewards for building dungeons is if people die repeatedly in them, and so there's nothing to play, and so the game is dead.

He literally was calling this stuff out on day 1 and the entire room was already laughing at the dead game until mods had to step in. Imagine beingq BHVR, having a free resource like otz, and pissing on it at every single opportunity.

The only fun i ever had with meet your maker after the shoe dropped after day 1 (basically the second tier of stuff you get means you don't die unless you're bad at fps games or have slow reflexes) was basically building a giant 3Dmaze with tons of optical illusions and doubled paths and dead ends that had exits into the outside of the maze that then doubled as a secondary maze. The first co op team that made it through took an hr and 4 minutes. 4 deaths only, just running around trying to exit the maze haha. After someone beat it (took me like 2 days to build) i never touched the game again why would i playing even solo raider is cake with good equips.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Just had a void exit dump me outside of the gate on RCPD. so be on the lookout for that I guess. I should note that I’m loving pinhead so I’m just sitting here until they fix the gens and open the gate, if they open this one I expect to scare the ever loving poo poo out of them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OxMan posted:

He literally was calling this stuff out on day 1 and the entire room was already laughing at the dead game until mods had to step in. Imagine beingq BHVR, having a free resource like otz, and pissing on it at every single opportunity.

The only fun i ever had with meet your maker after the shoe dropped after day 1 (basically the second tier of stuff you get means you don't die unless you're bad at fps games or have slow reflexes) was basically building a giant 3Dmaze with tons of optical illusions and doubled paths and dead ends that had exits into the outside of the maze that then doubled as a secondary maze. The first co op team that made it through took an hr and 4 minutes. 4 deaths only, just running around trying to exit the maze haha. After someone beat it (took me like 2 days to build) i never touched the game again why would i playing even solo raider is cake with good equips.
Even if it's dead, is the idea here that you build a maze and kind of put it up there and people run it? It seems like you'd want to give people some reward for running even if they don't die

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Just had a void exit dump me outside of the gate on RCPD. so be on the lookout for that I guess. I should note that I’m loving pinhead so I’m just sitting here until they fix the gens and open the gate, if they open this one I expect to scare the ever loving poo poo out of them.

“The box! You opened it… I waited!”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm not saying this is proof that DBD is going to die as well because I honestly think DBD has too much inertia and too many popular licenses to truly die. But it is fascinating to see them do the same kinds of design decisions in another game without those benefits, and the results of those decisions. I'm also not going to pretend it's easy to design and balance a game like this so that both sides have a fun and rewarding experience,

I've watched a couple of good breakdowns on VHS and Evil Dead respectively and why they died and they both honestly had the same thing in common in large part, which was making monster/Kandarian demon unfun to play. Maybe because they figured the other side would be bigger so they weighted towards that but of course in doing that it meant nobody wanted to play those roles so queue times just got worse and worse. And playing monster or demon were always a pain for different reasons.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
This is the same thing I keep hearing about TCM: Family is less fun than Victim, and is part of why TCM is doing so poorly.

Balancing an asym has got to be hard as hell and I can't really fault the idea of giving the weaker team the ability to fight back against the power role, but it keeps getting hosed up in ways that make it clear nobody has learned from DbD's biggest mistake: The power role is stressful in a way the other side is not. The killer has to spin 5 or 6 plates at any given moment (gens, individual survivors, the broader game at large) and look out for signs of 16 perks. The survivors have to keep track of the killer, their 4 perks, and the gen spread and that's really it. Survivor is mechanically far less demanding at a base level, and they make up for this by not really having any real way to actively attack the killer. That's not to say there's nothing but every tool they have in their arsenal to fight back is going to get used. DS+UB+DH meta proving this by making all chases last extra long, forcing the killer into unwinnable "pickup and extend chase, slug and waste an entire gen's worth of time" situations, and generally allowing them to throw themselves at the killer over and over to force wasted time.

From what I've seen and heard, the biggest problem with VHS, Evil Dead, and now TCM is that the survivor class in all of those games is doing what DS/UB/DH meta was doing to killers in DbD, but at a baseline part of the game. It makes survivor more engaging, sure, at the cost of making killer as stressful as a dbd stacked meta lobby from 2020 from the get go.
Sure you've gotta keep the larger side of your asymmetrical playerbase happy, but if the smaller side is miserable you won't have any of them at all, and then there's no game.

EDIT: Unrelated, but since the Void location is physically present in the map there's some fun ways they've had to prevent killers who can teleport from getting there. You can't take special items through portals, so Pinhead's box is dropped in the regular map. There's no lockers, gens, or TVs, so Dredge, Freddy, and Sadako can't go there. You can't M2 while in there so you have to use a portal to get back out as well.
They did forget about Singularity though.
Singularity's teleport puts him at the location a survivor was at a second prior (or something close to it) so if a survivor with a biopod comes out of a portal in front of you and you're quick, you can treleport to their location from one second ago: Way the gently caress up in the sky in the void.Going there this way doesn't disable your M2 like the portal does so you can actually stick cameras and poo poo up there.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 22, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Since you can't use powers in the void, Sadako can't use her condemn Mori in it. You'll eventually be teleported out but it buys you time

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How do power-based buffs and debuffs work? Like, sure, Plague can’t use her red vomit in the Void, but does Myers keep EWIII or will Survivors stayed marked by Ghostfsce in the void?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

They managed the balance pretty well in Friday the 13th, where Jason could smash your face in if he caught you but he also had many plates to juggle and there was usually a method of temporarily getting him off your rear end. But that game may have also been the rare lightning in a bottle where the community didn't care all that much about Win Win Win as long as the game was funny. For the most part, you'd definitely get sweatlords/bullies but they weren't the majority of the playerbase

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

DeathChicken posted:

They managed the balance pretty well in Friday the 13th, where Jason could smash your face in if he caught you but he also had many plates to juggle and there was usually a method of temporarily getting him off your rear end. But that game may have also been the rare lightning in a bottle where the community didn't care all that much about Win Win Win as long as the game was funny. For the most part, you'd definitely get sweatlords/bullies but they weren't the majority of the playerbase

Yeah, as a terrible Jason player, when I encountered bully squads it was cheap as gently caress but I enjoyed knife throwing any female counselor to death ruining their plans to kill me.

I'm sure if the game lasted longer the stun/kill bully meta would've taken over, but one cool thing was you could still progress even in customs.

I'm surprised TCM hasn't had a 2x exp week yet speaking of.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I mean we've seen it with both versions of Deathgarden. (Remember that shitshow?) BHVR are absolute hacks who got lucky with DBD being released at the right time and the licenses they've gotten. They constantly repeat the same mistakes in each game they make and shrug when it dies an inevitable death.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Never got to play Friday the 13th, but wasn't there also random sides? Like you didn't just pick to be Jason or a counselor, but rather a person got assigned to be Jason randomly? I'd always heard that, and the idea seemed kind of interesting since that way it might prevent people from just playing one side and thinking of the other side as the "bad guys" and such, the way a lot of DBD players act. Little more sympathy for each other, because you know how it feels to have the other side be obnoxious little shits.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

curiousTerminal posted:

Balancing an asym has got to be hard as hell and I can't really fault the idea of giving the weaker team the ability to fight back against the power role, but it keeps getting hosed up in ways that make it clear nobody has learned from DbD's biggest mistake: The power role is stressful in a way the other side is not. The killer has to spin 5 or 6 plates at any given moment (gens, individual survivors, the broader game at large) and look out for signs of 16 perks. The survivors have to keep track of the killer, their 4 perks, and the gen spread and that's really it. Survivor is mechanically far less demanding at a base level, and they make up for this by not really having any real way to actively attack the killer. That's not to say there's nothing but every tool they have in their arsenal to fight back is going to get used. DS+UB+DH meta proving this by making all chases last extra long, forcing the killer into unwinnable "pickup and extend chase, slug and waste an entire gen's worth of time" situations, and generally allowing them to throw themselves at the killer over and over to force wasted time.

I mean, in my opinion, it's the survival role who is stressful considering that if you get clapped too much by the killer, you are out of the game. Yeah, killer has to constantly look over the bigger picture and make sure to not pick any time-consuming chase but you never get put into a time-out zone the way survivor does.

Then again, it might be just because I'm used to playing killer with my brain off and only really have to put an effort when I play against good player or lobby or bully squad (Which I will avoid because they are just annoying to deal with)...

Yeah, forget I said anything, I just play weirdly.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I mean we've seen it with both versions of Deathgarden. (Remember that shitshow?) BHVR are absolute hacks who got lucky with DBD being released at the right time and the licenses they've gotten. They constantly repeat the same mistakes in each game they make and shrug when it dies an inevitable death.

I really miss Deathgarden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Danaru posted:

Nah it's the stacking info perks on Doctor when Doctor can just poo poo lightning and follow screams. I genuinely can't think of a killer who could benefit from I'm All Ears less

The more baffling thing to me was the loving Hex: Plaything on Doctor. Why do you want Oblivious on Doctor whose entire job is to have survivors in his TR screaming :psyduck:

Kwolok posted:

Inner Healing/Flashbang/Red Herring/Blast Mine. Get in the locker! :) But watch out.

It's a build where you get excited to go in a locker but then you're constantly going "Oh gently caress now I blew up the generator directly next to me and the killer knows I'm here". It's the self-prank build. But with some pranks for the killer, too.

Now I'm just remembering the game where a killer was camping someone thinking I'd come to rescue (I was the only other one alive) so I used Red Herring to distract them away making them think I blew a gen on the other side of the map while I immediately swooced in for the rescue. Red Herring value is so rare and so, so funny.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 22, 2023