Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the expenditure of ordnance will make numbers go up

This is good for HitCoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
For the record, I was not trolling, it was a genuine question. I'm not a vet, I don't know very much about rockets, the iron dome, or how they interact. I asked because the Al Jazeera video mentioned there was 5 and 7 seconds between the intercept and the two explosions on the ground, and my dumb high school physics says that might line up if the rocket was between 122.5m and 240m high when it was intercepted (assuming dumb high school physics things like no drag, aerodynamics, or initial vertical velocity involved). I also don't know how high the rockets go, so that would have been the next question. It seemed not impossible. If it is, then feel free to tell me I'm stupid :v:

None of that changes the fact that Israel should stop oppressing/warcriming Palestinians.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Based on the video that shows an ascending rocket that then explodes and shortly thereafter there are two explosions on the ground, that would have been a boost-phase intercept. IE, the interceptor munition targeted and hit the target missile while it was still under thrust, accelerating upwards.

The Iron Dome does not operate in that way. It does midcourse- or terminal-phase intercepts, after the control system has analyzed the ballistic trajectory and determined the warhead will fall within a designated protected area.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

What a loving chode. What does he expect to do other than get in the way?

gorge himself on the rich political capital of turning up to Israel, what else

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Luceid posted:

gorge himself on the rich political capital of turning up to Israel, what else

Along the same vein :lol:

https://twitter.com/syracusedotcom/status/1715201682978607167

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
How many assholes US governors do we have in this country, anyway?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Discussion Quorum posted:

How many assholes US governors do we have in this country, anyway?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
55 actually, the territories have governors too and iirc DC's mayor is considered a governor as well

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Israel will never be able to start the ground invasion because they'll have a constant backlog of all US state governors just cycling through the country a week at a time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

55 actually, the territories have governors too and iirc DC's mayor is considered a governor as well

I could claim that I was giving them a 5% benefit of the doubt but the truth is I forgot.

On the other hand I doubt the governor of USVI is going to make a trip to Israel about this.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

mrmcd posted:

Israel will never be able to start the ground invasion because they'll have a constant backlog of all US state governors just cycling through the country a week at a time.

A good way to de-escalate. Just nonstop VIP visits.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Reverse Human Shield. I dig it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
we could place one american governor or congressperson every roughly 12 or 13 square miles and achieve full coverage of Israel and Palestine

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
One weird trick that Netanyahu doesn't want you to know about

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mrmcd posted:

I read that Biden's visit had this as one of its goals -- delaying the invasion.

It's... kinda smart? The US is doing its usual unconditional support gig and trying to give tons of money to Israel. On the other hand a potential ground operation seems to be in limbo and there's mounting pressure to open up Rafah a bit.

Maybe it's all accidental of course, the US hasn't really been known for its subtly lately.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

New analysis of the Gaza hospital explosion coming out:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1715437877604049094

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1715429352697934331

Takeaways:

- The audio call between the Hamas super soldiers was at the very least digitally manipulated in very obvious ways and potentially faked outright.
- The projectile that caused the explosion came from the direction opposite to what the IDF claimed--which is to say, from the direction of Israel.

What this all means:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Welp, back to the israeli warcrime theory.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Not that it's on the same level as all the civilians they've been murdering, but Israel also destroyed a 1400 year old mosque in Gaza yesterday.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Saw the "centrist" editor of the Times of Israel referring to Gaza as "Hamastan" today in an oped. Really cool dehumanization of the 2 million civilians Israel has confined to the Strip.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Cugel the Clever posted:

Saw the "centrist" editor of the Times of Israel referring to Gaza as "Hamastan" today in an oped. Really cool dehumanization of the 2 million civilians Israel has confined to the Strip.

Not quite Indonesia 65 but this is how that poo poo starts.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

B B posted:

New analysis of the Gaza hospital explosion coming out:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1715437877604049094

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1715429352697934331

Takeaways:

- The audio call between the Hamas super soldiers was at the very least digitally manipulated in very obvious ways and potentially faked outright.
- The projectile that caused the explosion came from the direction opposite to what the IDF claimed--which is to say, from the direction of Israel.

What this all means:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everyone who matters is entrenched in their opinion and no evidence will change minds. Israel will never admit it if it’s them and the Arabs who read Protocols unironically (and there are lots) will never believe it isn’t a Jewish plot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Stultus Maximus posted:

Everyone who matters is entrenched in their opinion and no evidence will change minds. Israel will never admit it if it’s them and the Arabs who read Protocols unironically (and there are lots) will never believe it isn’t a Jewish plot.

Okay, but what about the rest of us? And why did you feel the need to smear Palestinians in that particular way? That was a weird response to interesting and valuable insight.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Iranian-backed militias have conducted eight attacks over the past three days across the Middle East in a multi-theater escalation against the United States and Israel.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/iran-update-october-20-2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

What an impressively awful post. I didn’t know those were the only people who mattered.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Not that it's on the same level as all the civilians they've been murdering, but Israel also destroyed a 1400 year old mosque in Gaza yesterday.

Im just impressed they built the thing before Muhammad was even dead.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

and the Arabs who read Protocols unironically (and there are lots) will never believe it isn’t a Jewish plot.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

And why did you feel the need to smear Palestinians in that particular way?

The Hamas Charter literally quotes from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Mahmoud Abbas has made Holocaust denial his scholarly lifetime work. A bent towards conspiracy theories among the Palestinian leadership is well documented.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
And because of this Israel can do a little ethnic cleansing, as a treat?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kchama posted:

What an impressively awful post. I didn’t know those were the only people who mattered.

Everyone who matters to affecting the situation. You don't. I don't. The people living there and influencing policy and reactions do.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

e: not even my problem. peace be with you.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 21, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

why yes, pointing out anything wrong some nationality has done justifies ethnic cleansing and genocide, you cracked the code

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I think the origins of Hamas and their beliefs not representing Palestinians as a whole, and not being a great justification for Israel's actions/reactions have been pointed out before, do we need to re-hash this yet again? Its pretty circular, both sides racism and targeting of civilians very bad.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i thought the point of this thread was to very explicitly not have d&d style slapfights and gotchas and similar bullshit

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lum_ posted:

The Hamas Charter literally quotes from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Mahmoud Abbas has made Holocaust denial his scholarly lifetime work. A bent towards conspiracy theories among the Palestinian leadership is well documented.

What I was responding to was a post carrying the message that knowing who committed an atrocity is irrelevant because the nation doing a genocide don't care, and Arabs are racists. He didn't mention Hamas, or even Palestinians. Just Arabs. Which is a hosed thing to say before you even get to the part where the rest of the world is excluded from the list of interested parties.

Kith posted:

i thought the point of this thread was to very explicitly not have d&d style slapfights and gotchas and similar bullshit

It becomes hard to stick to that when someone decides to use Nothing Matters and some racism to distract from and dismiss actual independent academic evidence of what's happening when people provide it.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 21, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ok

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Antisemitic attitudes are shockingly high in Arabic countries. This is just a fact, bud. https://global100.adl.org/map

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I want to propose a question / filter for discussion about racial prejudice in I/P context:

In what way does the racial prejudice that you want to post about affect the acceptability of violence visited upon the civilian population in question, whether Israeli or Palestinian noncombatant civilians? Is there a way in which, for example, the Protocols remarks above affect the way in which a neutrally-toned thread ought to steer discussion about attacks on civilians? Is there any difference in how an Arabic man who regurgitates Protocols ought to be treated from how we treat an American who regurgitates the same? This isn't a hypothetical, rhetorical question: we just left a 20 year long war and occupation where severe racial prejudices have become embedded in non-trivial fractions of both parties' cultures. A discussion on the matter of war and racial prejudice can rapidly turn inward.

{Edit: actually that discussion frequently does, in fact, rapidly turn inward, and that horse has been dissected, beaten to death, resurrected, and beaten over and over so many times....}

What's the point of it, if it can't add meaningfully anything to our understanding of what's transpiring? To wit, "yeah no poo poo, varying peoples practicing Abrahamic faiths are at each other's throats in the Middle East." Woohoo. How is that remotely novel?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 21, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Christ, I can't remember the last time I had to carpet bomb a page like that. Don't PM me, I don't care, they're all sixers. (Edit: Actually one of y'all's queued for more)

Don't say racist poo poo, if you're going to make comments about commonly held beliefs in a community without some solid sources I'm going to assume you're saying racist poo poo.

If another poster said something you disagree with, either refute it like a grown up, or if it's offensive, IDK report it or reach out to a mod / IK.

Thank you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Israel have kindly let a whole 20 trucks of aid through. It's a start, but christ that's a drop in the bucket

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Israel have kindly let a whole 20 trucks of aid through. It's a start, but christ that's a drop in the bucket

Apparently it was enough water for ~20k people, for one day.

It is a start though. That and the US negotiating (via Qatar) with Hamas. Israel came out with the attitude of no demands, no negotiation, we're going to kill of you (Hamas members). Seeing some weakening on these statements is encouraging to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Lum_ posted:

A bent towards conspiracy theories among the Palestinian leadership is well documented.

FrozenVent posted:

Don't say racist poo poo, if you're going to make comments about commonly held beliefs in a community without some solid sources I'm going to assume you're saying racist poo poo.

I would normally let this pass but given an IK just put a "don't post racist poo poo" note on my profile, this makes me unhappy for some reason! So, sources:

Lum_ posted:

The Hamas Charter literally quotes from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

Hamas Covenant: https://irp.fas.org/world/para/docs/880818.htm

quote:

For Zionist scheming has no end, and after Palestine they will covet expansion from the Nile to the Euphrates. Only when they have completed digesting the area on which they will have laid their hand, they will look forward to more expansion, etc. Their scheme has been laid out in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, and their present [conduct] is the the best proof of what is said there.

(ok, so it doesn't quote from it, it merely cites it as proof. so much better.)

Lum_ posted:

Mahmoud Abbas has made Holocaust denial his scholarly lifetime work.

Abbas' PhD thesis: The Other Side: The Secret Relationship Between Nazism and Zionism

quote:

Abbas' Holocaust revisionism [in his thesis] does not deny that the Holocaust happened or that it is one of the worst crimes in history. The question he raises is who is guilty of this crime and that blaming the Nazis is only "half the truth". According to Abbas, the Zionists collaborated in killing a large number of European Jews in order to encourage the rest to embrace Zionism and emigrate to Palestine.

From a recent speech this year: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/07/palestinian-president-condemned-mahmoud-abbas-holocaust-remarks

quote:

Palestine’s president has drawn angry condemnation from US, German and Israeli officials for comments in which he suggested that Nazi Germany had murdered 6 million Jews during the Holocaust for their “social role” as money lenders, not because they were Jewish.

Note: I am *not* asserting that all Arabs are anti-semitic, or that this justifies what's currently happening in Gaza, or indeed that there isn't a deep undercurrent of Islamophobia and anti-Arab racism in Israeli discourse (there absolutely is). I merely responded to another poster who expressed disbelief that the Palestinian leadership indulged in conspiracy theories. As shown above, this is not "saying racist poo poo", it's recounting documented fact.

Yes, I am mad online, please put in the papers that I am mad.