Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

I'm not going to link to his channel, but apparently Quackalope (remember him? the duck guy?) has posted four(!) apology videos in the past day or so, relating to the accusations of blackmail earlier this year.

One is called "Why I can be grateful I lost 5,500 subscribers," I poo poo you not.

Instead of doing something useful with my life I decided to search for his channel based on this post and yikes. Always got a weird vibe from that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm really enjoying my time with Uprising Curse of the Last Emperor on TTS and I would love to own this game physically. But I've run into the classic problem of missing the boat. Since I was not party to any of its crowdfunding and the game doesn't appear to be destined for retail my choices are to live in the digital world or pay an outrageous sum to a private seller. I just want to buy your game and not have to play 400 American dollars for just the base box. :smith:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SettingSun posted:

I'm really enjoying my time with Uprising Curse of the Last Emperor on TTS and I would love to own this game physically. But I've run into the classic problem of missing the boat. Since I was not party to any of its crowdfunding and the game doesn't appear to be destined for retail my choices are to live in the digital world or pay an outrageous sum to a private seller. I just want to buy your game and not have to play 400 American dollars for just the base box. :smith:

Aw man, poo poo. Sorry if I contributed to that. That really sucks. I didn't realise it was such an exclusive, that's mega bum. I got my copy because they released an expansion, and you could do a pledge where you got the base game. Hopefully they do something similar, but, I mean, that's still at least 3 years away from you having a physical copy. poo poo, 400 dollars? loving scalpers man.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

SUSD had a video on Zoo Vadis, a remake of 1993 Knizia game Quo Vadis and honestly, I'm pretty tempted to pick that one up. The remake looks remarkably better than the old one (not a high bar to clear that), and the game sounded like it's something a bit different than your average block placer or set collector.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Oh, well if SUSD have done a video on it, don't worry about it. It's sold out everywhere.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Oh, well if SUSD have done a video on it, don't worry about it. It's sold out everywhere.

Same company, Bitewing Games, has a new KS up with a new Kniz game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bitewinggamesnick/cascadero-and-cascadito-zoo-vadis

And you can order Zoo Vadis that way.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Lunsku posted:

SUSD had a video on Zoo Vadis, a remake of 1993 Knizia game Quo Vadis and honestly, I'm pretty tempted to pick that one up. The remake looks remarkably better than the old one (not a high bar to clear that), and the game sounded like it's something a bit different than your average block placer or set collector.

I ordered it earlier, it was available on a few different places. i'm excited to try it

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Zoo Vadis intrigued me as well. It looks similar to another block voting game I enjoy, City of Horror, except the theme is cute and whimsical instead of offputting and mildly racist/sexist.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Lunsku posted:

The remake looks remarkably better than the old one (not a high bar to clear that)

blasphemy. watch where are you going.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zoo Vadis does 7 players as well, which is a bit of a rarity

panko posted:

blasphemy. watch where are you going.

OG looks like rear end

Love the Fondue Fountains

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just a little bit into it but 1849: Electric Sicilian Boogaloo 2 feels nightmarishly tight. Makes OG '49 feel fast and loose with abundant cash.

I now need to own a copy of it.

And in other train related gaming feedback I just finished my sixth game of 1822 via .games and I think I am just completely bored by this game. Everything feels so procedural and by the book. The most interest parts are the auctions at the beginning of the game because you're actually jockeying for companies and trying to balance getting what you want for a good price versus making other people pay too much for theirs. You also have to pay attention to whether those early trains of yours are going to be an expensive liability or not. But after that it turns into such boring and obvious track lays and share buys (no one really ever sells) that it's a slog for the bank to break. The biggest decision is whether you want to withhold or not to save for a better train.

It's just so painfully operational in nature that I have a hard time wanting to play it. Add in the fact the game takes forever too and you've got a bad combo.

Also willing to admit this is all user error but two of the guys I was playing with have played a shitload of the game and didn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary but maybe they were playing down to my level, I don't know.

VVV Sorry, should be more clear, it's more of an expansion/reimplementation: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/334353/1849-kingdom-two-sicilies

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 20, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

There's a sequel to '49? When, where, and what changed?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Went through the quick start guide for Horizons of Spirit Island. There's definitely a lot there but I think I'll get it once I sit down and go through a full game. I'll be playing this solo before introducing to friends. Should I play through with a single spirit or do a faux co-op with two?

My initial reaction to the game is it seems neat but the Horizons version with the smaller board is very busy even from the start. Seems like either the pieces need to be smaller or the board needs to be larger.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jolo posted:

Went through the quick start guide for Horizons of Spirit Island. There's definitely a lot there but I think I'll get it once I sit down and go through a full game. I'll be playing this solo before introducing to friends. Should I play through with a single spirit or do a faux co-op with two?

My initial reaction to the game is it seems neat but the Horizons version with the smaller board is very busy even from the start. Seems like either the pieces need to be smaller or the board needs to be larger.

Do not do a two-handed solo for your first game.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Jolo posted:

the holy poopacy posted:

Seconding this.

And you're right about the Horizon board. Even on the normal board though, the tokens make for an awful jumble trying to squeeze them readably into one land.

I upgraded to the base game not very long after picking up Horizons and the plastic pieces make a huge difference.

Join us in the Spirit Island thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017460&pagenumber=13&perpage=40 For any questions! The OP is good and you're going to want to know about the official FAQ over at querki.net

This was super super helpful when I first started:
https://querki.net/u/darker/spirit-island-faq/#!Rules-semi-commonly-misplayed

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Cool, thanks!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

the holy poopacy posted:

And if you're doing true solo for your first game, don't play Sun Bright Whirlwind. Yes, it is an adorable kitty but it's also a support spirit. It functions in true solo, but it's not ideal for learning the ropes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Two-handing co-op games is like second nature to me; didn't think people would be so against it. I'll even two-hand competitive games just to a get a feel for the flow before I bring it to the table with others.

Like in Spirit Island, I feel like you lose something if you don't have two spirits to play off each other.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Imagine playing two players in SI so often you think it's weird to just have one player mat.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I play SI 1.5 hand. My son loves to play, he's seven, so I play my board and hold his hand through his more complicated turns. It's the perfect balance.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SettingSun posted:

Like in Spirit Island, I feel like you lose something if you don't have two spirits to play off each other.

Not really, if anything it opens a different avenue of play and a different puzzle for a lot of the spirits. It's generally a lower power level for the trade off of ease and speed of play.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

Two-handing co-op games is like second nature to me; didn't think people would be so against it. I'll even two-hand competitive games just to a get a feel for the flow before I bring it to the table with others.

I am a huge fiend for two-handed SI but for learning the mechanics and flow of play it's just a lot of unnecessary overhead.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Sega Dreamcast posted:

Zoo Vadis does 7 players as well, which is a bit of a rarity

OG looks like rear end

Love the Fondue Fountains
Are those statues all casting shadows in different directions?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Got Cheese Thief from a friend for my birthday. Amazing little party game.

8 player game. I was Cheese Thief, I woke up at 4am and FOUR OTHER PEOPLE saw me take the Cheese.
- Gave them all the finger and stole the cheese
- Made 2 of them into my accomplices
- The 3rd somehow missed me taking the cheese, even though I wasn't being covert about it, as they opened their eyes late somehow.
- The 4th absolutely biffed it and said the Cheese was still there at 4am and didn't see me take it... even though they very clearly saw me take it...

So I pushed all suspicion onto them and won.
:smuggo:

-------------------

Also got in some games of Snake Oil, which was also a lot of fun half pissed.
Monkey Ovens and Pizza Alcohol made for good sales pitches!

Don't Get Got was a fun little filler to keep in your pocket and attempt missions. I just house ruled that if you didn't like what you got, you could just redraw until you got 6 tasks you felt like you could accomplish. Some people sucked hard at being sneaky and were immediately caught out.

Crokinole was played a bunch earlier, but unfortunately an impromptu tournament didn't eventuate like I hoped.
A couple of friends spent an hour with it to the side, so I'm glad I spent some time rewaxxing my board.

Capped the evening off with Cards Against Humanity, which I know isn't a thread fav - but it'd been a few years since we played and I had previously binned all the problematic cards
Honestly a super good time with the right crowd when you're on the piss.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 22, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm looking for games that could be described as competitive or co-operative sorting. Putting different coloured legos in the right boxes: the game. Examples:
Skip-bo
Happy families
Sagrada I think?
Carcassonne, probably
Sushi go but I'm looking for something two player
...yahtzee? Oh god why is this so hard I know so many games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also, completely unrelated but why does star realms have next to no flavour text on the cards.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for games that could be described as competitive or co-operative sorting.

try la boca

Sega Dreamcast posted:

OG looks like rear end

said like someone not making it to the senate :colbert:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for games that could be described as competitive or co-operative sorting.

That description makes me think of Rack-O which makes me think of the excellent Lost Cities. I know goons often say to get Lost Cities Rivals since allegedly you can play the original 2p game with it too, but I have only played the original.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for games that could be described as competitive or co-operative sorting. Putting different coloured legos in the right boxes: the game. Examples:
Skip-bo
Happy families
Sagrada I think?
Carcassonne, probably
Sushi go but I'm looking for something two player
...yahtzee? Oh god why is this so hard I know so many games.

Have you played double solitaire? Just standard solitaire, two decks of cards, you can steal opponents discards, I think it was a speed game too, haven't played it in decades.

But it was absolutely competitive sorting by definition.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Sega Dreamcast posted:

Capped the evening off with Cards Against Humanity, which I know isn't a thread fav - but it'd been a few years since we played and I had previously binned all the problematic cards
Honestly a super good time with the right crowd when you're on the piss.

The issue, at least for me and I assume others here, is less "problematic" cards (not great but not the entire problem unto itself) but rather canned humor. The joke is the zany or risqué or sexual "funny" card - that is, canned humor.

Apple to Apples is the same game but has nothing inherently funny, so all the jokes come out of the association rather than what's printed on the cards. Much better in my opinion

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The issue, at least for me and I assume others here, is less "problematic" cards (not great but not the entire problem unto itself) but rather canned humor. The joke is the zany or risqué or sexual "funny" card - that is, canned humor.

Apple to Apples is the same game but has nothing inherently funny, so all the jokes come out of the association rather than what's printed on the cards. Much better in my opinion

Yeah, that was always my beef with it. It made me mildly annoyed with my friends when I'd come up with something I thought was clever but someone played a card that said something like "wombat diarrhea" and that one won.

I know that probably makes me sound like a comedy snob and yeah, I am.

Edit: I played Monikers with family recently and that's not the same game but another funny game to play with friend and we had a great time.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Jolo posted:

Yeah, that was always my beef with it. It made me mildly annoyed with my friends when I'd come up with something I thought was clever but someone played a card that said something like "wombat diarrhea" and that one won.

I know that probably makes me sound like a comedy snob and yeah, I am.

Edit: I played Monikers with family recently and that's not the same game but another funny game to play with friend and we had a great time.

That's my exact experience and, yeah, I guess that makes me a snob. After more than 15 years posting on a dead gay comedy forum it might be unavoidable?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I always took it from the other direction: CAH is Apples to Apples: Hitler Edition. And the people who made it went on to make The Resistance: Hitler Edition, thus demonstrating the full breadth and depth of their humour.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Apples to Apples is just a far better game than CAH. I'd go as far to say that anyone who enjoys CAH in yool 2023 is just a straight up bad person.

Someone at work organised a boardgame night so I went along and they brought out one of these tiresome risqué games, I declined to play but the first question hit the table and folk had to decide who at the table list thier virginity first. I left after that because life is too short to interact with people who think that's a fun time, and a fun time to do with work colleagues you don't really know.

The other good one that's is Big Idea, bit more storytelling in it but it's great.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Relatedly, I am absolutely begging designers to stop releasing "After Dark" versions of games. Oooo, sex and drugs. Ooooohhhh. Grow up!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah again I think a big part of what makes CAH works for me is having the right people playing it, having it brought out out at the end of the night while you're all drinking, and it's only brought out rarely.
Anyone trying to be 3Edgy5Me about it is basically playing it wrong.

I think it also shows the importance of having the right players for games. Sheriff of Nottingham & Chinatown? Amazing games, love them. Those same games with people who don't want to do some light roleplaying or bartering? DOA.
It's why I don't have any 18xx games in my collection. While I may personally would like to try them, I know my players would only ever be humouring me.

Also as mentioned Snake Oil was well received and is in a similar vein as CAH/ATA. The main appeal there though is Literally Explaining The Joke to the current player, which elicits a bunch of laughs when you're trying to sell a Monkey Oven to a Couch Potato and people won't stop asking questions about it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sega Dreamcast posted:

Yeah again I think a big part of what makes CAH works for me is having the right people playing it, having it brought out out at the end of the night while you're all drinking, and it's only brought out rarely.

Anyone trying to be 3Edgy5Me about it is basically playing it wrong.

What? That is literally the game by design. There's not a "right people playing it" scenario, because the game then immediately makes them the wrong people.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's on the game designers website!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How’s John Company? How heavy/crunchy is it? It looks extremely my poo poo, but I have no idea how likely I am to get people to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

What? That is literally the game by design. There's not a "right people playing it" scenario, because the game then immediately makes them the wrong people.

I mean, you can still actually make jokes in CAH and if you're not playing with people who will just automatically pick Auschwitz or Big Black Dick in every context it can be fun enough. You're still skating uphill against the game design and I don't know why you wouldn't just play a better game to begin with, but if the company is good there are certainly worse games you could be playing.