Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I keep thinking it'll be more worthwhile to wait for BF/CM for a Pixel 8 Pro, but if I get a decent trade-in valuation for my Pixel 5 (I'm not optimistic even though it's still practically mint condition), I might bite.

I also figure it's best to wait for the first *honest* reviews of the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Duckman2008 posted:

Yup, if you’re on a play more, do more or plus plan you’ll get a $830 trade in over 36 months if it’s a XS, 11 or newer (not XR or older).

If anyone needs help or a referral code PM me.

She's got an XR, so she just missed the upgrade window. She's going through Apple directly for a new one, but thanks!

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
We're heading to Mexico in a few weeks for vacation and was hoping to get some clarification on roaming details (site agent wasn't very helpful...).
Originally planned on grabbing Mexico SIM cards but perhaps the roaming might be enough?

We are on the 5G Play More and 5G Start 1.0 plans. In the "Manage Plan" page, it says the plan includes 0.5GB of data and then 2G speeds after that (sounds pretty much unuseable).
However, on our Intl Plans Overview page, it says the plan includes 2GB of data and then 3G speeds after that..

Which is accurate?

And if one of the phones has TravelPass enabled, I assume it would automatically default to that first and not the included roaming feature?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hmmxkrazee posted:

We're heading to Mexico in a few weeks for vacation and was hoping to get some clarification on roaming details (site agent wasn't very helpful...).
Originally planned on grabbing Mexico SIM cards but perhaps the roaming might be enough?

We are on the 5G Play More and 5G Start 1.0 plans. In the "Manage Plan" page, it says the plan includes 0.5GB of data and then 2G speeds after that (sounds pretty much unuseable).
However, on our Intl Plans Overview page, it says the plan includes 2GB of data and then 3G speeds after that..

Which is accurate?

And if one of the phones has TravelPass enabled, I assume it would automatically default to that first and not the included roaming feature?

Mexico is free, call text and 2GB a day per phone. Just don’t do streaming and you’ll be fine.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Can confirm. Mexico Just works™.

Turned cellular back on when we docked in Cozumel and immediately got all the text messages that arrived while we were on the water.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Awesome, sounds good. Thanks!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Hey Duckman, are you doing phone orders for Pixel 8 Pros?

The wife sounded interested and if I can get full value for my 4 XL spare, I might be interested too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alarbus posted:

Hey Duckman, are you doing phone orders for Pixel 8 Pros?

The wife sounded interested and if I can get full value for my 4 XL spare, I might be interested too.

Yes, PM me and I can call you.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

God, I hate this "only when you add a new line" poo poo when it comes to VZW promos. Verizon's offering $800 (paid out over 36 bill credits of $22.22/month) for my Pixel 5. Google is only offering $300 off.

It's so they can register the new line as a new customer and make claims they're killing it on sign-ups, right?

I still think I'll wait until BF/CM and see what Google will offer then. I'm not too keen on the Pixel Watch 2 - I've gotten very comfortable NOT wearing a watch over the past decade-plus.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

God, I hate this "only when you add a new line" poo poo when it comes to VZW promos. Verizon's offering $800 (paid out over 36 bill credits of $22.22/month) for my Pixel 5. Google is only offering $300 off.

It's so they can register the new line as a new customer and make claims they're killing it on sign-ups, right?

I still think I'll wait until BF/CM and see what Google will offer then. I'm not too keen on the Pixel Watch 2 - I've gotten very comfortable NOT wearing a watch over the past decade-plus.

? Verizon is offering a $800 trade in on upgrades? You have to be on the right plan, but you can qualify.

Like, it’s $1000 for new customers, but $800 is way closer than normal. I highly doubt you’ll see higher than $800.

36 months for a credit does suck if that’s what you are complaining about.

And yes, they want as much “growth” as they can show. Capitalism sucks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Duckman2008 posted:

? Verizon is offering a $800 trade in on upgrades? You have to be on the right plan, but you can qualify.

Like, it’s $1000 for new customers, but $800 is way closer than normal. I highly doubt you’ll see higher than $800.

I've tried to explain this to others in the past. It's kinda sick. If Verizon had 100% market share in the US, shareholders would still tank the stock in the next quarter if they didn't show more growth.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

I've tried to explain this to others in the past. It's kinda sick. If Verizon had 100% market share in the US, shareholders would still tank the stock in the next quarter if they didn't show more growth.

Yup. Verizon does $32 billion a quarter, stock is down 17% minimum this year. Rip my yearly bonus.

For the record, there is some mismananagment and such the last 2 years where they could have done better for sure, just agreeing they aren’t exactly at risk of going out of business.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Ah - I didn't actually log into the website, I just looked at the promos and the $800 one claimed it required a new line.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ah - I didn't actually log into the website, I just looked at the promos and the $800 one claimed it required a new line.

Yeah you’re good.

If you’re on a premium plan you can get the $800 trade in. Play more, Do More, Unlimited Plus and a few others.

If you need help or want to check feel free to PM, I work Mon-Fri and can always give you a ring.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah you’re good.

If you’re on a premium plan you can get the $800 trade in. Play more, Do More, Unlimited Plus and a few others.

If you need help or want to check feel free to PM, I work Mon-Fri and can always give you a ring.

Given that I intend on keeping my P8P for 3-5 years, I'm thinking of going for the 512GB model this time - is Verizon selling all of the storage SKUs or just the 128GB?

I checked out the prices - the 256GB is +$60 over the 128GB, the 512GB is +$60 over the 256GB, and the 1TB is +$100 over the 512GB. At least using Google's pricing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given that I intend on keeping my P8P for 3-5 years, I'm thinking of going for the 512GB model this time - is Verizon selling all of the storage SKUs or just the 128GB?

I checked out the prices - the 256GB is +$60 over the 128GB, the 512GB is +$60 over the 256GB, and the 1TB is +$100 over the 512GB. At least using Google's pricing.

Yup, Verizon is selling the 512GB (and 255GB).

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'm fed the gently caress up with my iPhone 15 Pro Max (batterly life & GPS, specifically) and I really, really like what I see of the Pixel 8 Pro. I'm looking to buy it from best buy (full price unlocked) and then add it to my Verizon account under a new line so I can swap back and forth between the two devices. Anyone do this or something similar? I haven't done this in years and I remember last time that Apple used to hold your number hostage...does that still happen?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah you’re good.

Does the old 5G Play More plan really grant me an $800 trade in for my Pixel 5?

Is Verizon doing the same deal for a free Pixel Watch 2 with a P8P?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

Does the old 5G Play More plan really grant me an $800 trade in for my Pixel 5?

Is Verizon doing the same deal for a free Pixel Watch 2 with a P8P?

Yea, play more gets you a $800 trade in, it’s over 36 months.

Watch 2 is free, but with cell service. Gotta have a line, which is $5-10 before tax depending on your plan.

If you need help ordering PM me, I work Thursday and Friday.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is it normal for Verizon to charge a $40 upgrade fee because I got a new iPhone with the iUP? At first I was worried my plan somehow went up over 50% but now it looks like it’s a one time fee for.. getting a new phone that had nothing to do with my Verizon account? As far as I can tell my plan wasn’t exactly upgraded.

I tried the automated chat which said “are you asking about the $40 fee?” But when I said yes it’s then like “$1.49 was charged for tax” or something unhelpful like that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

Is it normal for Verizon to charge a $40 upgrade fee because I got a new iPhone with the iUP? At first I was worried my plan somehow went up over 50% but now it looks like it’s a one time fee for.. getting a new phone that had nothing to do with my Verizon account? As far as I can tell my plan wasn’t exactly upgraded.

I tried the automated chat which said “are you asking about the $40 fee?” But when I said yes it’s then like “$1.49 was charged for tax” or something unhelpful like that.

Normal? Yes. Is it a dumb fee? Yes.

Call care here: (800) 392-0717 , option 0, and ask them nicely if they will waive it. Can’t guarantee it but worth asking.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Duckman2008 posted:

Normal? Yes. Is it a dumb fee? Yes.

Call care here: (800) 392-0717 , option 0, and ask them nicely if they will waive it. Can’t guarantee it but worth asking.

Thanks, it took talking to a few people and being slightly nudgy but it worked. They offered $15 after w while and asked if that was ok, I said it’s better than nothing but since the phone buying process had nothing to do with Verizon and my service wasn’t upgraded in any way the charge is completely unfair in the first place. I was nice about it, and eventually that worked.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I can trade in a Pixel 2 acc bad get a free Pixel 8? What about the pro?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

I can trade in a Pixel 2 acc bad get a free Pixel 8? What about the pro?

Acc bad ?

And I have to check the promos. Are you upgrading or a new customer ?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Duckman2008 posted:

Acc bad ?

And I have to check the promos. Are you upgrading or a new customer ?

Mobile, tired post after seeing a commercial. "And Get"

Existing user.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

Mobile, tired post after seeing a commercial. "And Get"

Existing user.

I’m off today, but if you want me to check tomorrow PM me your number and I can call you and see.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hi thread.

Today is my last day in my current role.

Anyone that needs help, I’ll of course still be here and be happy to help, but for the foreseeable future I am actually out of the call center.

Unlike my training role, this is a permanent promotion , no going back. I’m moving over to a marketing role.

For anyone who is helped here, truly appreciate everyone here.

I’m off Black Friday for the first time in 15+ years. It’s a weird feeling.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Congrats and thanks for all your help!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Congrats! Thanks for all the help!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Congrats Duckman! Thanks for all that you’ve done for us and this thread!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thank you all!

I still will be here to help, I just won’t be able to call and process myself. So you won’t have some random dude who talks really fast call you.

Weirdest part of going back to in person is I’m going to have to slow down how fast I talk.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Thank you all!

I still will be here to help, I just won’t be able to call and process myself. So you won’t have some random dude who talks really fast call you.

Weirdest part of going back to in person is I’m going to have to slow down how fast I talk.

I am glad to have been one of the last Goons you might have helped, and I love my P8P!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

I am glad to have been one of the last Goons you might have helped, and I love my P8P!

I think you were the very last !

And heck yeah, glad it worked out !

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Thank you Duckman for all that you have done for my family personally and this thread.

Congratulations! My wife worked retail for so many years that the first time she had Black Friday off, she still woke up early but she just laid on the couch drinking tea all morning while reading a book. I wish you the same comfort!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Congrats Duckman! Well deserved!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Congrats Duckman! Thank you so much for helping me and my roomate! :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Congrats Duckman! Thank you so much for helping me and my roomate! :)

Absolutely sir. And thank you ! Happy to get you set, taught me on eSIM activations anyway which def helped me.

I kept meaning to tag you the you may need to change your avatar now lol.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Absolutely sir. And thank you ! Happy to get you set, taught me on eSIM activations anyway which def helped me.

I kept meaning to tag you the you may need to change your avatar now lol.

Glad I could help on eSIMs!

Yah someone got me this avatar years ago...never actually been on T-Mobile before. :v: Gotta think up a new avatar.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Good luck but you are dead to me marketing scum! (I hope the pay is better!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

Good luck but you are dead to me marketing scum! (I hope the pay is better!)

lol thank you. It’s still really more a sales job, a lot of flyering , table days, stuff like that. I just don’t directly have a quota.

I’ve always been a top sales rep, like top 50 out of 1300-1500ish people, so for that reason it doesn’t quite pay better, but it is stable, 2 positions above where I was currently at (I was on the bottom level), so long term career and pay should work out well.