Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gadzuko posted:

This and also every Steam game has a built in 2 hour demo

Problem is that you’d really want to see how a large city performs, and you’d need more than 2 hours to get there. Could load someone else’s late game save as a jury-rigged benchmark test I suppose

This was legit the game I was looking forward to the most this year, this sucks. Releasing after saying “we have missed our optimization targets” is disastrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah honestly, this just needed to eat a delay.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

yeah, you'd think Paradox would have been more willing to let things bake until it's ready, given they're already delaying console releases

but maybe given they've already taken an L on The Lamplighter's League this fiscal quarter the bean counters gave them no choice

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah honestly, this just needed to eat a delay.

Dijkstracula posted:

yeah, you'd think Paradox would have been more willing to let things bake until it's ready, given they're already delaying console releases

but maybe given they've already taken an L on The Lamplighter's League this fiscal quarter the bean counters gave them no choice

This is probable, and it's what I'm hoping happened. An alternative explanation is that CO know you can delay the game as long as you want, it won't matter because the performance problems aren't solvable short of starting over from scratch.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
CPP was saying there's one, maybe two graphics settings that absolutely tank performance. The people in the beta discord were told about them, and played with them off, and seem to be doing generally OK. Sure, a lot of them have top systems but I wouldn't be surprised if "reviewers" either A.) Didn't know about this or B.) Did know and didn't care. Either because they feel if settings are in the game they shouldn't be doing this no matter what (which is fair if you point out the particular bottleneck,) or because talking about failed releases gets clicks. I even saw articles about the changing of the minimum and recommended specs paint everything in a completely different light to what the press release actually was. Controversy is good for the media business, and it's hard to take anyones word as meaning anything until I see proper testing.

From my own just being generally online people are absolutely loving piling hate on a new game. Because they're angry, bitter people and also because they don't like Paradox's business model.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

If turning off stuff and playing on medium means getting semi-tolerable performance on top end systems, the game is still poorly optimized and there will be a lot of disappointed people. People love piling hate on a new game, but they love good games that work even more.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
If there are two settings that tank performance badly, IDGI why they don't hard code them to off or at least have them off on all presets that are not ultra. That's just basic triage?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Seems like a pretty big oversight to not have this stuff turned off by default and then let people turn settings on that May tank their performance. Because the former feels like the game is in bad shape, the latter makes it seem more like the average PC users system is in bad shape.

Nonetheless, bold choices all around and I’ll be waiting a few weeks/months to hear that it’s ironed out or stabilized before picking this up.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I worry that CS2 will end up flopping hard and colossal order will end up getting gutted like every other studio this year

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Lucinice posted:

I worry that CS2 will end up flopping hard and colossal order will end up getting gutted like every other studio this year

I think this is highly unlikely given that cs1 made a tremendous amount of cash and gamepass alone is likely covering most or all of the development cost of CS2. Plus they have no competition in the city building space.

Pigbuster posted:

Problem is that you’d really want to see how a large city performs, and you’d need more than 2 hours to get there. Could load someone else’s late game save as a jury-rigged benchmark test I suppose

This was legit the game I was looking forward to the most this year, this sucks. Releasing after saying “we have missed our optimization targets” is disastrous.

Steam does have a good track record of giving refunds beyond the 2 hour mark for performance issues. If the launch doesn't go well (which seems very likely lol) they will probably just approve any and all refunds like they have in the past. Not a guarantee though I guess.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I doubt it can be a flop. They've been pretty smart about marketing it, and there's a bunch of stuff in the game that wasn't possible in CS1. I am still quite interested, and everyone I know who has city builder brain worms is interested as well.

But there's no way I am buying this close to release.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Yeah I'm interested to but it changed from wanting to buy on release to waiting until the first or second DLC comes out

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

part of me really wants to play this on potato mode despite, in theory, being able to play on normal graphics. get that authentic cities skylines: gamecube experience

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
is that a screenshot from the game? why do we need to see faces on a city design game lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because you can zoom in a lot, look at the city from the ground level.

I guess you could make everyone into faceless blobs too if you want.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

part of me really wants to play this on potato mode despite, in theory, being able to play on normal graphics. get that authentic cities skylines: gamecube experience

Considering the zoom level here this is pretty impressive.

And also the sort of thing I don't much care about in a city simulator.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
It's baffling to me that you can't toggle off weather to aid in performance.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It's baffling to me that you can't toggle off weather to aid in performance.

Weather is tied into gameplay in a significant way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/s/OQ4vUMu4qm

More evidence that this game can be decent given the right settings.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm generally fine just getting a game and knowing that if it runs like poo poo I can just return it. I did that with Starfield.

What sucks about this is I really won't know if the performance is intolerable until I'm many hours into the game. I think I really might hold off on getting this game until someone has a save of a late-game city to test for these things.

MikeC posted:

Weather is tied into gameplay in a significant way.
Surely they could give us a graphical toggle. Just change the road textures to indicate weather is happening and don't have a bunch of particles everywhere slowing things down.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Eiba posted:

Surely they could give us a graphical toggle. Just change the road textures to indicate weather is happening and don't have a bunch of particles everywhere slowing things down.

Will be shocked if this isn't a day 1 mod

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

kind of figured i wouldn't be able to play CS2 right away (i5, 8gb ram, gtx 580), i don't like to spend a lot of money on computer, people throw away good ~10yr old computer stuff all the time

but i thought i'd be able to play it before 2030, criminey,

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I have a few year old rig with a 2070 and I’m still planning on jumping in on day one. Im confident in getting a steam refund if I need to, but I figure this cant be nearly as bad as KSP2 (which I did refund) so I’m willing to give it a go.

Ill post my thoughts on day one/two once i get a good size city going.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm seeing more people talking about running it fine on like a 1080 without having to turn it to maximum poo poo mode so I have no idea what to think at the moment. Leaning towards the $1 Gamepass option to try it for myself.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm seeing more people talking about running it fine on like a 1080 without having to turn it to maximum poo poo mode so I have no idea what to think at the moment. Leaning towards the $1 Gamepass option to try it for myself.

I mean....all we have to do is wait 4 days and find out for ourselves. Either it ends up being a huge deal, or a little one, either way, its as simple as enjoying a weekend.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

interesting- so like 2026 for me, nice,

i have to imagine it would still run p slow on a gtx580, no matter how potato i made the visuals, if it's using the gpu to do sim calcs

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

i have to imagine it would still run p slow on a gtx580, no matter how potato i made the visuals, if it's using the gpu to do sim calcs

I've got a 970. I think we're hosed.

That being said, I'm confident CO will be releasing at least two optimization updates between November and February, so with even a modest GPU upgrade we should at least be good to go.

I'm going to wait until those updates drop. Also it gives the (not) Workshop time to mature with some decent mods.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

piratepilates posted:

I mean....all we have to do is wait 4 days and find out for ourselves. Either it ends up being a huge deal, or a little one, either way, its as simple as enjoying a weekend.

Me in four days playing CS2 at 15 fps: "So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it."

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the GTX 580 is old enough to be in middle school, I'm surprised you can still use it for any games at all

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

VostokProgram posted:

the GTX 580 is old enough to be in middle school, I'm surprised you can still use it for any games at all

:gonk:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fabulousity posted:

Me in four days playing CS2 at 15 fps: "So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it."

Sounds like me trying to play stuff with a Rendition V2100

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

"So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it."

Wait a second, this isn't the Star Trek Infinite thread at all!

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Mom, can we have Cuno and Cunoesse?

Mom: No. We have Cuno and Cunoesse at home.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Early access got a performance patch today that is apparently huge. From CPP:

"so, we were told that the build yesterday was release
and before that, we were told that performance would be optimized for release... and then we got that build
then we were giving a build about 6 hours ago that is the "new" release build
which focused on performance and some of the stupid graphical bugs - they are fixed

like 3060 TI going from 27.5 avg FPS before to 39.3 with my settings on the new build
low of 2.2 to 22.5"

This is testing with a city of 100,000 pop, also.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 20, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Too late for all the reviews!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

He's also saying the default settings are completely hosed for ??? reason and if you just change a few things you can get a ton more performance out of it without much visual change.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The way these things go, good chance they will introduce some very silly very embarrassing bug with all those urgent last minute performance fixes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Too late for all the reviews!

Hopefully if it works when people play it the reviews won't matter.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

OddObserver posted:

The way these things go, good chance they will introduce some very silly very embarrassing bug with all those urgent last minute performance fixes.

oh i see you are new to paradox games

lmao

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

since it seems like my autumn will not be full of C:S2, has anyone played Highrise City by comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dijkstracula posted:

since it seems like my autumn will not be full of C:S2, has anyone played Highrise City by comparison?

It's okay, but leans more into Anno style production chain management type stuff where you need lumberjacks to make planks to zone for RCI and that kind of thing. Higher class citizens want more varied goods which requires more production chains. UI is real rough and the game feels very indie in a lot of ways. There's a demo for it, which is all I've played of it. it gave me a good idea of what the game is and I kinda enjoyed it but not really enough to buy it.