Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Apex wheels generally punch one diameter above their size in brake clearance, ie 18” apex wheel will clear brakes that normally require 19s. Also apex has fantastic customer support and entire fitment guides. Also decent quality wheels for very affordable prices. I’d shoot them an email and see what they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Alarbus posted:

What year 440, and what brake package? If it's the blue calipers that are SN2H, 18's are fine.

Edit: If you're buying new, you should be able to do 225/45/18 on all four and be fine, you don't need to pay more for staggered winters.

Think these would work?

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/wto/d/norwood-18-bmw-winter-package-tpms/7667589585.html

Nope, only +20 offset, seems I need 34 to clear the brakes.

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 20, 2023

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just got my car back from its luxury seaside holiday having the bi-annual brake fluid flush + a few additional bits of routine servicing and it always feels so sharp after he gets done. He's a highly obsessive BMW M & Porsche Indy guy and serviced the car since before I owned it. Everything on the bastard car is layers deep to even get to so labor hours can add up quickly doing boring stuff, but at least I avoided the eyewateringly expensive brake job for another year at least.

Somewhat Heroic: Battery was $398 installed and registered when I asked him what he charges for the replacement job, so you did well on the price but the delay in getting it registered is annoying, unless you discovered that Carly can do it.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
e39 m5 question:

is there a diy manual that's any good for these? the chilton manual only covers the non-m e39s, but i assume the layouts of the m5 and 540i have to be pretty close...

i wouldn't be doing any internal engine work myself, but it would be nice to have a reference for the rest of the vehicle that's better than bimmerforums threads from 2009

i've seen mentions of various old bmw software used by shops but haven't actually been able to find anywhere to download it. the chilton manual is out there in pdf, which is nice

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TheBacon posted:

Apex wheels generally punch one diameter above their size in brake clearance, ie 18” apex wheel will clear brakes that normally require 19s. Also apex has fantastic customer support and entire fitment guides. Also decent quality wheels for very affordable prices. I’d shoot them an email and see what they say.

I picked up a set of Apex to replace my mystery 19" CSL replica wheels when one of them cracked and so far they've been good.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I had Apex on my 328, going from stock non m sport wheels with runflats to apex with regular sport tires dropped like 12 pounds of rotational mass per corner. Best upgrade ever. I mean, the intake was good too, but the handling got so much better with wheels and tires.

I keep hemming and hawing about wheels. I think next summer the existing oem staggered and Indy 500s will go on the 440 and I'll get Apex wheels with something for the 335. Just need to not have surprise massive medical bills. Only way I did the brake upgrade on the 440 was that I bought them before it was hell in a handbasket time.

Shamefully, I have all seasons on the other two sets, but the 335 isn't going to see snow, and if it's really bad I'll stay home, or if need be take the wife's suv with cross climate 2s.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've got three sets of 17x9.5 Apex for the BRZ and have been really happy with them. The track warranty is nice, I taco'd one first day out with a set last year.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm in the same position where I just got a m340 running staggered summer tires and its winter soon here. Is there any reason to get the Apex wheels or any other non-OEM brand for winters instead of just getting a package from BMW if I'm just driving on the street?

e: I checked the site and https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/11324/BMW--19--INCH-STYLE-898-Y-SPOKE-COLD-WEATHER-WHEEL-AND-TIRE-SET-IN-FROZEN-GUN-METAL-GREY is what I was looking at but seeing it again is that 1800 each or for a set of 4? My question above may suddenly seem rhetorical depending on this answer :)

doomisland fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 20, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OEM wheels are always stupid-expensive as hell for no good reason. For winters just get the cheapest smallest ones that'll clear your brakes so you can also put cheaper rubber on it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Tire rack sells a set of bbs sr wheels that should clear any brakes those cars have (they fit my f80) that I’ve seen on marketplace many, many times. They’re a very common winter set.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

I'll throw in another rec for Apex particularly wrt brake clearance vs size, and also their customer service is great. I ordered a set shipped to the EU, UPS hosed it up and sent it back to the States for some dumb reason or another and Apex were on top of it the whole way and just shipped it out again no worries.

UPS can die in a fire though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
crawling up on my 120k mile service for the e39 and trying to figure out what I want to DIY

O2 sensor - don't have a jack or stands anymore so not tempted to try
plugs - done a couple years back at 110k miles, gonna skip
trans fluid - shop can do this
diff fluid - shop can do this
CAF - will DIY
EAF - was done last year, gonna skip

shouldn't be too bad. oh the shop also found that the rear main seal is leaking slightly "but don't worry, you probably don't need to do it til you do the clutch in a year or two" :suicide:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

crawling up on my 120k mile service for the e39 and trying to figure out what I want to DIY

O2 sensor - don't have a jack or stands anymore so not tempted to try
plugs - done a couple years back at 110k miles, gonna skip
trans fluid - shop can do this
diff fluid - shop can do this
CAF - will DIY
EAF - was done last year, gonna skip

shouldn't be too bad. oh the shop also found that the rear main seal is leaking slightly "but don't worry, you probably don't need to do it til you do the clutch in a year or two" :suicide:

One of my friends has an e39 M5 and I don't think there has been a time he's owned it where it wasn't leaking oil from somewhere

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Nodoze posted:

One of my friends has an e39 M5 and I don't think there has been a time he's owned it where it wasn't leaking oil from somewhere

it's called normal seepage

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It’s when a BMW stops leaking that you need to worry

Leaking means it still has oil in it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nodoze posted:

Should have just left the valve cover gaskets alone so that further more serious leaks would not develop.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Speaking of oil, I love how at least on the F chassis 3 series there's zero mention of oil capacity in the owners manuals. Thankfully the information is easy to find on the internet with very consistent ranges of 5.6 quarts to 7 liters for the 330i

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
9 liters for the E92 M3. :toot:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Laughs in air-cooled Porsche.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
How to check the oil in an old porsche: go fast, turn right, look for smoke :)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looking things over while doing an oil change on the 330i and I noticed that the diff mounts had some fluid on them.

Both sides, not sure what it was but it smelled faintly like the transmission fluid from when I did the fluid/pan change on that a while back. The weird thing is that there was almost nothing on the diff housing at all though.

What the gently caress is it and where is it coming from?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

I think you can do it with Carly BMW now but I'm not 100% on that.

13 years is pretty impressive. Mine need replacing about every 4-5 years.

It's crazy how the dying battery causes so many weird effects in these cars, my seatbelt-handerer was all out of whack the last time mine was near the end, and it also gives all sorts of weird ABS failure warnings even when driving, which should not be affected by a dying battery at that point. But it is!

Fairly sure that Carly used to do battery registration, then there was a thing where it was charging on a per-registration basis (because of module sharing or something that was happening). I also remember browsing M3 Post and seeing varying levels of success on those registering the battery or not. I decided to go with a shop that has a "for real" computer to do the battery coding. Fortunately a childhood friend opened a new shop near my house. I stopped by yesterday and he went ahead and did the coding for me and outright refused to let me pay him for it. He said I had done all the hard work with installing the battery already. I will find a way to pay him back.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:thunk:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

it's called normal seepage

:pcgaming: new thread title please

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fknlo posted:

Looking things over while doing an oil change on the 330i and I noticed that the diff mounts had some fluid on them.

Both sides, not sure what it was but it smelled faintly like the transmission fluid from when I did the fluid/pan change on that a while back. The weird thing is that there was almost nothing on the diff housing at all though.

What the gently caress is it and where is it coming from?

Leaking front seal when it's spinning, fluid getting flung onto the mounts would be my guess. Is there a stripe of fluid above the diff on the bottom of the car as well?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Front seal looks clean in that photo. What do the output shaft seals look like?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BMW Thread: BMW N Power: Inline V6

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

Leaking front seal when it's spinning, fluid getting flung onto the mounts would be my guess. Is there a stripe of fluid above the diff on the bottom of the car as well?

There was definitely a bit of spray above the diff but I couldn't see any other sign of the front seal leaking.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Front seal looks clean in that photo. What do the output shaft seals look like?

They looked dry and good from what I could see.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

fknlo posted:

There was definitely a bit of spray above the diff

Isn’t that the sign? There shouldn’t be any spray above the diff.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ThirstyBuck posted:

Isn’t that the sign? There shouldn’t be any spray above the diff.

I plan on checking it out more when I can, and I’d normally agree but there was absolutely nothing noticeable on the front side which is what threw me off a bit.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

It sounds like a slow leak that's getting flung. I'd at least recommend checking your fluid level to make sure you're still at a healthy level.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone have experience with ISC coilovers? Just test drove an E90 with them and they were too firm with too much camber as set but the shop selling the car is going to try and put them more towards street for me. I’d like to find out if they’re trash before the shop goes to the trouble.

blk fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 29, 2023

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On an M3? Or just coilovers on the commuter sedan?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

On an M3? Or just coilovers on the commuter sedan?

It’s a 330i

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

2009 BMW E91.

I’m looking for some insight.

I installed last year Bilstein B6s and H&R Sport Springs. It sits maybe a hair lower than an OE sport pack car.

I just had an alignment performed at a BMW dealership.

Regarding the right rear , the tech shrugged his shoulders and said, “ You lowered the car. That’s the best I can do”.

My question is what do I do now?

The left and right rear is destroying tires and I’m not going to put a new set on until the issue is resolved.

I could put the OE springs back in. ( Did I throw the springs out??) I bet I did : [

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why did you go to a dealership for an alignment??????????

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I would never in a million years go to a dealership for an alignment. That guy gave you the gently caress off answer. You should go to anywhere and be able to get one at Firestone or whatever, but I would also consider asking around the tuner shops as they will have rec’s for lowered cars if you actually do something lower than that.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah go to not the dealer. When I went to RT Tuning here they even asked if I did mostly highway or mostly curvy back roads and offered to set it up for how I drove. Find a place that does that.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I assumed that they would do it right. Now I’m not sure why I thought that. I normally only go to the dealer for recalls. They charged the same price as everywhere else here $200 bucks.

So - is the answer I’m hearing simply go to another shop and plunk down more cash? I would have gone straight to my local Indy shop but they don’t have an alignment rack. Other options include a Firestone or a Goodyear tire/service place, which I normally avoid and lump in with the likes of Midas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Put a set of tires in your cart on Tire Rack, then when it asks you to pick a shop for them to be delivered to for installation call one of those places and ask if they do alignment.