Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

poemdexter posted:

Give the employees a day of rest before black friday when the gates of hell open and swallow the souls of everyone with a blue vest.

With people running away from poo poo jobs and extended unemployment ending what will lovely business blame their lack of holiday temp applications on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

GoatSeeGuy posted:

With people running away from poo poo jobs and extended unemployment ending what will lovely business blame their lack of holiday temp applications on?

I don't know, but I am sure that they will find a way to spin it in the media to make it look like everyone is a lazy moocher and that they are benevolent endowers of prosperity rather than glorified slave owners, all while raking in mountains of cash for parasitic shareholders.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Is in-person Black Friday even a huge thing anymore? I feel like I’m not seeing the line-lunacy like I used to, and the ‘deals’ seem to be both lame and also extends to online sales and/or the whole Thanksgiving weekend, making the whole ‘line up at 3am’ thing kinda superfluous.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, I think it is pretty much dead. It was definitely dying off before the pandemic because everyone just did online sales, and I can't see that trend reversing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I also think cyber monday doesn't really exist, because most of the things I've wanted over the past couple years never seem to go down in price on that day, let alone come close to their historic lows.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Cyber Monday wasn't originally about special sales, it was about when people were back in the office to go shopping on their work computer.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

Is in-person Black Friday even a huge thing anymore? I feel like I’m not seeing the line-lunacy like I used to, and the ‘deals’ seem to be both lame and also extends to online sales and/or the whole Thanksgiving weekend, making the whole ‘line up at 3am’ thing kinda superfluous.

It's pretty much dead for anything but to get a lovely TV at a good price if you stand in line all morning like you're trying to get Rolling Stones tickets

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jethro posted:

Cyber Monday wasn't originally about special sales, it was about when people were back in the office to go shopping on their work computer.
Yeah. It was people waiting until the Monday after Thanksgiving to use their work's fat network connection to shop online instead of their crummy slow frustrating home dialup internt.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's going to be nuts about BF for me personally is that I've wanted a PS5 since launch and I suppose stores will just continue their policy of not having any on location.

My point being that I've actually had some interest in trying to obtain a hot electronic item, for the first time in years, and it's just not even an option, exactly because of the same bullshit that's led to me being willing to go through Black Friday to get one in the first place.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 29, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I love seeing people who are so upset at the "shoplifting epidemic" because if you squint hard enough it might hurt workers, but they're not talking about wage theft, which hurts workers massively more

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jaxyon posted:

I love seeing people who are so upset at the "shoplifting epidemic" because if you squint hard enough it might hurt workers, but they're not talking about wage theft, which hurts workers massively more

I used to work as a retail store manager for so long and literally any time that comes up in conversation with like a coworker or anyone outside my friend group, like a few years ago people would be like oh yeah that must have been a pain general conversation since I'm a lot happier with my current life. But the past year especially whenever it comes up it's like "OMG that must have been so miserable I don't know how you put up with the shoplifitng you must have no faith in humanity left" kind of stuff and it always kind of pissed me off because of this.

Like, no, people grabbing a hygiene product or baby food or even a PlayStation is incredibly distant from why corporate retail jobs suck poo poo.

The last one of these jobs I worked was at a Duane Reade (Walgreens everywhere else) and there was this wheelchair bound guy, basically our hero. Every Sunday morning he would roll in, put a 24 pack of bud on his lap, and roll out. It ruled because as soon as he put his hands on it he would start loudly saying "I came in with this" over and over again on his way out.

Black Friday, fuckin' hell. Once I was out of retail I refused to even go outside on Black Friday at all for any reason for like years lol

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 20, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The customer is always right

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When I see basic poo poo locked up behind glass I don’t think “oh no I can’t shoplift,” I think “that’s a pain in the rear end. I’m gonna buy it somewhere else.” Stores want me to summon an overworked staff member to get a box of ibuprofen but also only staff the store with an overworked skeleton crew.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

That current events conversation was SO frustrating to read. Retail theft is inconsequential, taking food or medicine is no crime. Shoplifting's damage (within 'larceny') is negligible compared to the damage that corpratism is causing to communities.

Shoplifting is just a small component of accounted-for shrinkage that such corporations preaccount for: shrinkage is ~1% loss, of which shoplifting is like only a third of; posters were taking total shrinkage as mostly external theft and comparing it to an overly limited scope of profit (like claiming that $15 billion in stock buybacks should not count within profits) to try to overstate the impact such retail theft caused bottom lines and their amounts were still inconsequential.

an angry fool posted:

So if someone steals like $500 worth of meat, the store will need to make $25,000 in sales to cover that theft.

USDA ERS posted:

Average shrink for fresh meat, poultry, and seafood ranged from 5.9 percent for turkey to 24.1 percent for shellfish.
The proportion of shrinkage lost to theft is even less when considering perishable food such as meat, the quick expiry means a significant amount is destroyed without being sold. I would rather the situation be reversed and more food be stolen than tossed. This fear of people taking food or medication they dont deserve, this anger at any impact to shareholder profits, was kinda monstrous.

like, posted:

The works of the roots of the vines, of the trees, must be destroyed to keep up the price, and this is the saddest, bitterest thing of all. Carloads of oranges dumped on the ground. The people came for miles to take the fruit, but this could not be. How would they buy oranges at twenty cents a dozen if they could drive out and pick them up? And men with hoses squirt kerosene on the oranges, and they are angry at the crime, angry at the people who have come to take the fruit. A million people hungry, needing the fruit- and kerosene sprayed over the golden mountains. And the smell of rot fills the country. Burn coffee for fuel in the ships. Burn corn to keep warm, it makes a hot fire. Dump potatoes in the rivers and place guards along the banks to keep the hungry people from fishing them out. Slaughter the pigs and bury them, and let the putrescence drip down into the earth.

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success. The fertile earth, the straight tree rows, the sturdy trunks, and the ripe fruit. And children dying of pellagra must die because a profit cannot be taken from an orange. And coroners must fill in the certificate - died of malnutrition - because the food must rot, must be forced to rot. The people come with nets to fish for potatoes in the river, and the guards hold them back; they come in rattling cars to get the dumped oranges, but the kerosene is sprayed. And they stand still and watch the potatoes float by, listen to the screaming pigs being killed in a ditch and covered with quick-lime, watch the mountains of oranges slop down to a putrefying ooze; and in the eyes of the people there is the failure; and in the eyes of the hungry there is a growing wrath. In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.

Thus an angel, who had charge of the fire, came from the altar and called in a loud voice to those who had sharp sickles, “Take your sharp sickle and reap the clusters from the earth’s vine, because its grapes are ripe.” So the sickles were swung and gathered the clusters from the vine of the earth, and threw them into the great wine press of the wrath of God.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Wage theft can be bad while at the same time shoplifting is bad.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

MegaZeroX posted:

The real thing that is happening to increase shrink is theft in the supply chain, particularly on double brokered loads and the rail. And garbage inventory practices as stores fail to staff adequately, and thus full inventories get skipped, and shrink accumulates unnoticed for years by the electronic inventory system.

I was rather literally told during a presentation at a conference on Wall Street and it reflects what I’m seeing on my own in marine claims.

That problem is being conflated by retailers intentionally with shoplifting which hasn’t really changed much.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MegaZeroX posted:

Not really no. In the current climate shoplifting is 110% justified.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Professor Beetus posted:

Not really no. In the current climate shoplifting is 110% justified.

...okay, why?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Discendo Vox posted:

...okay, why?

It seems pretty reasonable that if you are hungry and need food and there is food nearby, in a pile of food of such quantity that noone could imagine your taking food to eat would directly cause another person to suffer hunger, why shouldn't you be allowed to take it?

Its unlikely an ethical system would develop that protects those with great abundance at the expense of the most desperate and vulnerable.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

celadon posted:

It seems pretty reasonable that if you are hungry and need food and there is food nearby, in a pile of food of such quantity that noone could imagine your taking food to eat would directly cause another person to suffer hunger, why shouldn't you be allowed to take it?

Its unlikely an ethical system would develop that protects those with great abundance at the expense of the most desperate and vulnerable.

That's a lot of additional boundary conditions on the original categorical, and also not from the person who originally made the claim.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Remember that the "shoplifting epidemic" was first publicized by Target, who later stated in an earnings call that shrink over the described period had in fact dropped. They also have the most advanced private forensic lab on the planet, as well as extremely advanced profiling systems in their stores, so they were not wrong for lack of data. They lied because they were closing some less-profitable stores and wanted to blame the communities for them.

If anyone has even a single piece of evidence that shoplifting has increased, I haven't seen it. What I have seen are articles that don't cite their sources or cite sources that don't support the article conclusions, but that's annoying so I stopped reading about it. At this point we're in month 6 or 7 of this crying wolf, so I wouldn't be surprised if consumers who felt they were being shortchanged by not stealing have started doing so, and I completely support them in doing so.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Remember that the "shoplifting epidemic" was first publicized by Target, who later stated in an earnings call that shrink over the described period had in fact dropped. They also have the most advanced private forensic lab on the planet, as well as extremely advanced profiling systems in their stores, so they were not wrong for lack of data. They lied because they were closing some less-profitable stores and wanted to blame the communities for them.

If anyone has even a single piece of evidence that shoplifting has increased, I haven't seen it. What I have seen are articles that don't cite their sources or cite sources that don't support the article conclusions, but that's annoying so I stopped reading about it. At this point we're in month 6 or 7 of this crying wolf, so I wouldn't be surprised if consumers who felt they were being shortchanged by not stealing have started doing so, and I completely support them in doing so.

Tellingly, there’s no real reason for “product that expired so we threw it away” and “stolen product” to be lumped into one category. Yet they keep doing that. Some things it is hard to separate, like employee theft versus shoplifting, but they keep their own inefficiencies tied up in the metric and I very rarely see hard numbers on how much is which thing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

That's a lot of additional boundary conditions on the original categorical, and also not from the person who originally made the claim.

Yes and justifiability isn't a measurable metric so one would assume that hyperbole was involved when they not only quantified it but also quantified it beyond the maximum allowable limit, a full 100%.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Tellingly, there’s no real reason for “product that expired so we threw it away” and “stolen product” to be lumped into one category. Yet they keep doing that. Some things it is hard to separate, like employee theft versus shoplifting, but they keep their own inefficiencies tied up in the metric and I very rarely see hard numbers on how much is which thing.

It's also lumped in with "this pallet of 30 items actually only had 24 off the truck" and "this rolled off the dolly and shattered so we had to throw it away" and "this was set up as a display model and can't be sold as new".

Then the stores will point at shrink numbers and say "those dastardly thieves are at it again" despite theft being a minority of actual shrink in retail.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Neo Rasa posted:

I used to work as a retail store manager for so long and literally any time that comes up in conversation with like a coworker or anyone outside my friend group, like a few years ago people would be like oh yeah that must have been a pain general conversation since I'm a lot happier with my current life. But the past year especially whenever it comes up it's like "OMG that must have been so miserable I don't know how you put up with the shoplifitng you must have no faith in humanity left" kind of stuff and it always kind of pissed me off because of this.

Like, no, people grabbing a hygiene product or baby food or even a PlayStation is incredibly distant from why corporate retail jobs suck poo poo.

The last one of these jobs I worked was at a Duane Reade (Walgreens everywhere else) and there was this wheelchair bound guy, basically our hero. Every Sunday morning he would roll in, put a 24 pack of bud on his lap, and roll out. It ruled because as soon as he put his hands on it he would start loudly saying "I came in with this" over and over again on his way out.

Black Friday, fuckin' hell. Once I was out of retail I refused to even go outside on Black Friday at all for any reason for like years lol

The worst thing about working retail is the paying customers. The only thing that sucks about shoplifting is the paperwork afterward.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Remember that the "shoplifting epidemic" was first publicized by Target, who later stated in an earnings call that shrink over the described period had in fact dropped.

This is the important point. There hasn’t been a significant change in shoplifting patterns.

There has been a very large change in, in transit thefts. There has been a large change in staffing quantity and quality at many retail locations because of pandemic changes in the labor force.

A lot of the theft is happening during double brokerage. Company hires a trucking company. That company didn’t have capacity so they subcontract. That company didn’t either so they subcontract. Final company is a scam and steals the load. DOT could a but isn’t doing anything about this on the load board regarding registered trucking company identification numbers.

Or said company uses drop trailers which they don’t unload promptly (remember not adequately staffed) and cargo is stolen from the trailer sitting outside the location.

Both of these things now have large criminal organization that are exploiting this. But most of this could be prevented (don’t allow double brokerage, don’t let loaded drop trailers sit, staff properly) and are clearly management failures.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

A lot of the theft is happening during double brokerage. Company hires a trucking company. That company didn’t have capacity so they subcontract. That company didn’t either so they subcontract. Final company is a scam and steals the load. DOT could a but isn’t doing anything about this on the load board regarding registered trucking company identification numbers.

Can you say more about what DoT should be doing here? Is there a body of regulation or law I can look up?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Discendo Vox posted:

Can you say more about what DoT should be doing here? Is there a body of regulation or law I can look up?

MC numbers are part of the load board.

These are motor carrier numbers issued by FMCSA as unique identifiers for interstate haulers.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/get-mc-number-authority-operate

These are on the load board to show a carrier is allowed to haul interstate. Basically they get one either by applying for one or buying a mom and pop trucker. Then once they have the number they can do various shenanigans with loads posted on the load board.

The trucking shortage led to a lot of co brokerage (subbing out basically) which I called double brokerage in the previous post. You’ll see the two used interchangeably, but some folks will mean a specific type of brokerage scam by double brokered and not just co brokerage as I’m using it.

Anyway the general consensus presented at the conference seemed to be that FSMCA should tighten up the process of getting an MC number and do more to verify who actually is the carrier when carriers get bought and sold.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
They talked specify about pharmaceutical transportation not having these losses and apparently the drug companies all now outright refuse all cobrokerage. If the trucking company hired isn’t the truck that shows up even if legitimately cobrokered they are refusing to load and that apparently works quite well, but probably isn’t realistic for less sensitive cargoes.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
The other large area of theft is the rail. that’s being extremely underreported. The rail has their own police. Seal changes are happening without rail police investigations or reports. Rail has limited liability they don’t give a poo poo.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The real thing that is happening to increase shrink is theft in the supply chain, particularly on double brokered loads and the rail. And garbage inventory practices as stores fail to staff adequately, and thus full inventories get skipped, and shrink accumulates unnoticed for years by the electronic inventory system.

I was rather literally told during a presentation at a conference on Wall Street and it reflects what I’m seeing on my own in marine claims.

That problem is being conflated by retailers intentionally with shoplifting which hasn’t really changed much.

Fair enough

celadon posted:

I'd argue this is a pretty deep minority of shoplifting, but sure I don't necessarily have giant problems there. My mom shoplifted gloves for me once when I was a kid (I grew up poor and homeless at times).

The problem comes that these sorts of cases don't make up most of the financial losses from shoplifting.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I assume that anything designed to make people feel bad for corporations/hate workers is corporate propaganda. I'll let you know if that is ever not the case.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

celadon posted:

In a platonic "is this ethical sense?" I think all of these are different:

- Someone steals some food from a grocery store and eats it themselves/serves it to their family because they are hungry
- Someone steals some beer to drink themselves it because they are an alcoholic and broke
- Some kid steals some beer to drink themselves because they're underage and can't buy it legally
- Someone steals a bunch of expensive steaks and trades them to their dealer for heroin
- Someone steals a shelf full of Tide pods and sells it on e-bay as their job

I don't think most people would find the stealing-out-of-hunger one morally objectionable, but I think it's probably also one of the less frequent ones (I'd put my bet on "alcoholic steals some beers from a gas station" as the most common retail shoplifting).

Morally, I don't care about a store doing things to discourage the hypothetical Tide pod thief, but I'm also not going to excuse those measures if they are annoying for normal shopping. If a store locks stuff up and it's a pain in the rear end to buy things, I'll just shop elsewhere without worrying about the store's financial health. Not my problem to figure out how to deal with ease-of-shopping vs ease-of-theft.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The items subject to the most protection at groceries near me are a subset of the dietary supplements (weight loss and various men's baldness and dick products, iirc) and 5 hour energys because they've got a huge markup and come in small bottles that are very portable. They're in a sort of translucent antitheft device case on the shelf- you take it to checkout and a cashier has to unlock it for you to get the product out. I wish I knew the term for it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The only thing locked up at my grocery store is the liquor and that's only after 7pm.

They also disable the automatic doors on one of the two exits at that time and put a big display of glass chimes in front of it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The common element here is substance abuse disorders, I suspect.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MegaZeroX posted:

The problem comes that these sorts of cases don't make up most of the financial losses from shoplifting.

I have seen no evidence of this being true

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Disposable razors have been locked up in my wal-mart for years and years, which is a very common one from what I know.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Foxfire_ posted:

I don't think most people would find the stealing-out-of-hunger one morally objectionable

There are plenty, plenty of people, especially in the Bible Belt, who genuinely think that such people are only poor because they are lazy, immoral and didn't Jesus hard enough. The irony, if indeed that's the term, is that many of these same people are also struggling, but in their case it's totally different. I don't know if there's a name for that sort of fallacy, but there should be.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The only thing locked up at my grocery store is the liquor and that's only after 7pm.

They also disable the automatic doors on one of the two exits at that time and put a big display of glass chimes in front of it.

I'm currently in a somewhat charming but tiny university town with only one small hypermarket (that might be a contradiction in terms) where the pressure plates at the self checkout basically don't work. I've pinched a number of things there easily and with no regret. Anyone who decries 'stealing' while corporations suck our blood is an arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MegaZeroX posted:

Sure, but not equally bad, and Shoplifting from a major chain is almost not bad at all.

But if your stated reasoning for being upset at shoplifting is that "it hurts workers" yet you mysteriously are quiet about labor practices and wage theft, it's obvious that you're getting worked up by tiktoks and tabloid news.