Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Unfortunately the YouTube recommendations know me to a T and when it's late at night and I'm clicking through recommendations on the home page I am guaranteed to enter:

The Guy Fieri zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I hope all of you are watching Townsends history channel and all of the Joe Pera collaborations they’ve been doing over the past like 2 years

https://youtu.be/-D9Yx3H7Mp4?si=OrSfCetEprGRQRek

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The youtube homepage has been recommending a lot of smaller channels to me lately of people repairing VCR's and old hifi systems, and honestly, I'm down for it. They fuckin know my kinks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MarcusSA posted:

I love the YouTube recommendations because how else am I going to find another warhammer 40k lore channel?

I found the David Attenborough one that way and it rules.

David Attenborough has a WH40K channel?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Only in the other timeline. The good timeline.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Well he did have one that had like 200k subscribers but it looks like it got nuked.

It was essentially this

https://youtu.be/dB6uWwL565s?si=RXUIE50pcIRwygFy

It loving ruled.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I recently found out one of the most prolific voice actors in Britain is both an old school Bullfrog fan and an absolute pinball fiend so I can totally believe Richard Attenborough is a Warhammer guy.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Ok Comboomer posted:

XQC does that now

like literally, I’m not joking

Well... I... I'm gonna ignore that what Pewdiepie did is apparently a business model to wealth that others are exploiting to the detriment of humanity. I mostly just watch a few Speed Gaming channels on Youtube these days but here's one that I wish would post more because they seem to be Good People:

https://www.youtube.com/@CaptainDisillusion

And this one is just the most beautiful early/mid 90's nostalgia that could ever be:

Capt. Disillusion meets Beakman

Oh hey I just got Youtube's threatening notice about ad blockers when pulling that last one up. Neat.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
A while back I watched a YouTube clip of an old DC cartoon and it took months to stop having 20% of my recommendations be 3-5 minute clips from animated TV shows. And like others said I watch YT on my Chromecast Google TV where there is no way to avoid it. At this point I'm in the habit of deleting stuff from my watch history and using "don't recommend channel" a couple times a week.

As far as what I'm watching. I've gotten really into a channel where a guy buys retro server equipment from the 90s to mid 00s and gets it working again.

https://youtube.com/@clabretro

Playlist with his series on Sun servers:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjeznAUfx0OfCseO3gKOvEjw3oHgHLRlK&si=fe5td64VS-xpJcW1

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I think of the general game review type YouTube channels out there the only one I actively watch (and throw a couple bucks a month at via patreon) is Civvie11, because he's a genuinely good dude who likes chatting with his audience, his background gimmick is funny and well-executed, and he routinely suffers through the jankiest DOS trash known to god and man.

Also his affection for the Postal series landed him as being a character in Postal 4, because the devs enjoyed his whole-hearted appreciation of Postal 2 and its expansions.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

waffle iron posted:

A while back I watched a YouTube clip of an old DC cartoon and it took months to stop having 20% of my recommendations be 3-5 minute clips from animated TV shows.

This is why removing a video from your watch history is at least as important as subscribing and "don't recommend channel".

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I hope all of you are watching Townsends history channel and all of the Joe Pera collaborations they’ve been doing over the past like 2 years

https://youtu.be/-D9Yx3H7Mp4?si=OrSfCetEprGRQRek

i am now

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

You're interpreting too much into this.

She was doing quasi-naughty stuff in Youtube earlier in her "career" under the name SexySexySniper or some poo poo.

What did you think the nazi SS stood for?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Since we're on the topic of tech-adjacent Youtubers, rather that tech idiots, with Tom Scott semi-retiring/going on hiatus at the end of this year, anybody have recommendations along the same lines?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

NtotheTC posted:

Sexy Staffel. :shlick:

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I really want to switch to AMD for my next build. The performance is great, you can use Gen5 drives without cutting your PCIE lanes in half like on Intel, but the huge dealbreaker for me is that current gen AMD chipsets seem to have an issue with memory training. It seems random, but there are loads of reports that current gen AMD PC's are retraining memory on every boot, and not even a quick retrain. People are waiting 3+ minutes to get into the OS.

I could gamble and maybe get a setup where this doesn't occur, but it would be awful if it affected my PC.

fwiw my 5950x died a few weeks ago and I didn't have time to gently caress around so I replaced it with a 7950x setup

The shipping bios on the board was absolute trash and was a complete pain in the rear end to even get it booted to the point I was about 5 minutes away from boxing the stuff up and taking it back, but once I had I slapped the latest bios on it it took the memory settings perfectly fine and it's been rock solid and fast booting for the last month.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NtotheTC posted:

Getting flashbacks to a gun youtuber with multiple 88s in his username saying "nah man I'm not a nazi I just really really like dale earnhardt jr"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

Yesterday I got a G Fuel Pewdiepie energy drink at the dollar store because that's where all that kind of poo poo goes to get purged; it tasted like a shot of Robitussin dropped into a glass of Red Bull but not as good as I'm making it sound

yeah that's just what lingonberry tastes like.

slidebite posted:

The algorithm is totally how I found Smarter everyday and some of the other sciencey stuff like PBS spacetime and Fermilab and retro-computing which are totally my jam.

That said, 95% looks like crap. No idea why poo poo things like ghost hunting or conspiracy garbage get recommended because I don't think I've ever watched one of those vids on youtube in my life.

Yeah I've found a few more niche channels through the youtube algo, so it's bad, but it's not all bad.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Kazinsal posted:

Getting flashbacks to a gun youtuber with multiple 88s in his username saying "nah man I'm not a nazi I just really really like dale earnhardt jr"

You can't judge a book by it's cover.

You act like that guy is out there saying the J6 dipshits are patriots or something.

Oh, that's literally what he said? Ah jeez.

Ok I guess sometimes you can judge a book by its cover and sometimes the author makes the entire plot synopsis the title of the book to make it easier to find for the people that are totally into what the book is about.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think if you're someone who doesn't regularly engage with their front page feed, it'll probably be a grab bag of random poo poo if you go look at it now. I mostly use YouTube through that feed and have done for years, so I imagine there's some reinforcement learning going on in that it's figured out what to show me that I will click on with fairly high probability, whereas if it's just working mostly with whatever videos you've happened to watch through clicking on random embedded YouTube videos, search results, and subscriptions, there's less data to go on to correlate with "this user will probably intentionally watch this video given the chance" vs "the user has viewed a video like this for some reason".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Weirdly, for the first time ever, YouTube recommended me a SSSNiperwolf video.

I couldn’t hit “not interested” fast enough

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Weirdly, for the first time ever, YouTube recommended me a SSSNiperwolf video.

I couldn’t hit “not interested” fast enough

I’m glad I’m not the only one!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got the meatcanyon vid calling sssniperwolf a psychopath lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

priznat posted:

I got the meatcanyon vid calling sssniperwolf a psychopath lol

If Meatcanyon is calling you a psychopath you are seriously hosed up lmfao.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i'm so glad that i have no clue who either of these people are

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i'm so glad that i have no clue who either of these people are

MeatCanyon is a cartoonist who makes some really hosed up but also outstanding videos. He's a pro-follow.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've been wondering this for a little while, but when we hear that whole bit about how "hundreds of hours of content are uploaded every minute", doesn't that mean that nowadays, statistically speaking, the majority of content is lost media by the time it's published?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No, lost media specifically means its not available anywhere. Not just that no-one's seen it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It would be interesting to see the watch statistics of the entire youtube catalog and be able to compare them.

My guess is that 90% of youtube content is basically unwatched, maybe 95%

I have no hard data to back this up, but the amount of big creators on the platform vs account holders who have uploaded video has to be skewed hugely towards the latter.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
so much of what big youtubers make is also not worth watching at all a week later, it's basically the video equivalent of influencers who wear clothes once only to toss it

(leave aside whether the videos are even worth watching the first time)

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It would be interesting to see the watch statistics of the entire youtube catalog and be able to compare them.

My guess is that 90% of youtube content is basically unwatched, maybe 95%

I have no hard data to back this up, but the amount of big creators on the platform vs account holders who have uploaded video has to be skewed hugely towards the latter.

And you can see that basically unwatched content here

http://astronaut.io/

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
My algorithm at this point is just videos with titles like "Reviewing EVERY Namco PS1 game" that are 4 hours long. I've done this to myself and have few regrets.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I've been wondering this for a little while, but when we hear that whole bit about how "hundreds of hours of content are uploaded every minute", doesn't that mean that nowadays, statistically speaking, the majority of content is lost media by the time it's published?

There’s even a lot of raw twitch streams from popular creators that are basically unwatched. You can just automate that and YouTube will just host it so why not?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The algorithm reminds me of an old Jim Jefferies joke about how the pace of society is dictated by its slowest runner, which is the only explanation I can find for my YouTube recommending me a bunch of videos over the last few days about a salad sandwich.

Yes, of course that would taste good you loving moron, why does every cooking channel feel the need to recreate this basic sandwich and confirm that cured meat, salad and fresh bread is indeed good?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Substandard posted:

My algorithm at this point is just videos with titles like "Reviewing EVERY Namco PS1 game" that are 4 hours long. I've done this to myself and have few regrets.

If that’s the Sean Seanson video it’s a great video by the way, his videos on Squaresoft and Psygnosis are also great and he’s working on a Capcom one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

njsykora posted:

If that’s the Sean Seanson video it’s a great video by the way, his videos on Squaresoft and Psygnosis are also great and he’s working on a Capcom one.

Oh drat a psygnosis vid? I must watch that. Big amiga dork growing up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

Agreed, he's lovely

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Substandard posted:

Long form videos are extremely my poo poo to the point where I went through a 7 hour deep dive into Death Stranding only to be recommended total series retrospective of Final Fantasy and scoffed at it being only 4 hours.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol if you aren’t watching all the Tim Rogers stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One super loving annoying thing is when a video gets delisted or removed or whatever it completely nukes the entry from your watch history. It should IMO at least leave the title there because it legit drives me nuts trying to go back through my history trying to find a video I know I watched only for it to be completely gone.